Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid (3503 Views)

Man Catches His Mother With Her Lover, Attacked By Mum's Lover (photos) / His Mother Said His Fiancee Is Not Beautiful And Classy / Please Help! My Grandmother Is Missing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by maclatunji: 3:35pm On Nov 07, 2014
It was on a Saturday morning when grandma arrived with her maid. We stood to embrace her as usual, but her countenance that day was fiercer than a raging fire. Then, I sensed a time bomb, which would soon render us deaf, was solemnly ticking around the corner. Grandma sat on the only couch our room occupied. Father and the maid joined her. Grandma’s maid was short, anorexic, with brutal marks on her face, even her outfit was unwelcoming.

I sat on the four-legged table in our parlour. Jolomi, my sister, sat beside me. Mother had also brought a stool. We sat and listened as deadly words were shooting out of grandma’s mouth and strikingly piercing into my our hearts. Grandma told us that her maid was pregnant and it was father, who was responsible. She added that she was going to be the new wife.

My mother sat stock still. Silence smothered the room, as though Grandma’s bullets had murdered the words in her belly. The silence was so thick, until mother sliced it with the nauseating sound of her running nose as she sucked up. Mother wept!

The night that followed, mother sprung vehemently into dispute, as she could not share her matrimonial bed, the only bed in our single room, with the maid. Father became fickle like the sunny weather that suddenly rained. A rain of merciless blows battered our helpless mother and advertently, father threw her out of the house.

Many nights after, mother had succumbed to fate, as she was forced to endure the loud moaning and screaming of the new wife, as though she was given pepper to eat and caramel to savour at the same time, whenever father was making love to her. Nauseating, disgusting, and a scandalous act!

The incessant fights between my father and mother had become explosive. Sometimes over food; other times, bed. Most times, father accused us of insulting his new wife. It was one of those fights in the dead of the night, that I heard the blows and the shouts emanating from father. As the rotten words were hurled at mother, I looked at Jolomi, who was wide awake.

Perhaps we should go and plead with father, I thought.

Mother screamed and at first, I thought breath had been punched out of her. Father kicked her in the groin and she fell writhingly to the floor in agony. She couldn’t defend herself as she coiled on the ground. Jolomi threw herself over mother while I held father’s arms, trying to subdue him. We couldn’t stop the raging bull. Father flung me away, I hit my head against the wall. Then, he went over to Jolomi to kick her. He kicked her in the nose and Jolomi started bleeding profusely. Father didn’t care. He dragged me up and pushed us out of the house. That night, totally unclad, my mother launched into a tirade of curses against father’s destiny. The curse of a woman is greater than a weapon. Any weapon capable of destroying lives.

My mother no longer stayed at home. She had become a recluse. She woke up with the dews, went to market very early, and then returned back home in the late hours. She had lost her role as a wife at home. My mother became the husband of herself and a father to us, providing material needs only. Parental cares became forbidden water, not meant for drinking to me, neither Jolomi. Jolomi had also accumulated myriad of resentment and anger against the male folks, believing that all men are birds of similar plumage.

http://storried.com/my-mother-grandma-and-the-maid/
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by coogar: 3:50pm On Nov 07, 2014
so grandma brought a maid in to be the second wife?

old women - destroying their sons' marriages since 1865.

2 Likes

Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by pickabeau1: 4:16pm On Nov 07, 2014
so whats the moral of the story

1 Like

Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by Ezedon(m): 4:22pm On Nov 07, 2014
The story is long enough to make up Nigeria movie
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by cococandy(f): 5:05pm On Nov 07, 2014
This one no be new thing. So what happened later?
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by maclatunji: 5:12pm On Nov 07, 2014
coogar:
so grandma brought a maid in to be the second wife?

old women - destroying their sons' marriages since 1865.

She may envy and dislike the wife.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 07, 2014
chai, nigerian women been suffering since 1606. What rubbish! What rubbish!! What rubbish!!!
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by dridowu: 5:23pm On Nov 07, 2014
Summary : Women are the problem of other women.

1 Like

Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 07, 2014
dridowu:
Summary : Women are the problem of other women.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by Ishilove: 6:26pm On Nov 07, 2014
maclatunji:

She may envy and dislike the wife.
Is the full story in storried.com?
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by freecocoa(f): 6:31pm On Nov 07, 2014
What I don't get is, was the man sleeping with the maid without grandma knowing and when she found out, insisted her son marries the maid or did she actually marry the maid for him?
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by texanomaly(f): 6:59pm On Nov 07, 2014
I read this story on storied.com. It made me want more.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by maclatunji: 7:17pm On Nov 07, 2014
Ishilove:

Is the full story in storried.com?

That is the story.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by maclatunji: 7:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
freecocoa:
What I don't get is, was the man sleeping with the maid without grandma knowing and when she found out, insisted her son marries the maid or did she actually marry the maid for him?

Apparently, the man was already having an affair with the maid.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by freecocoa(f): 7:26pm On Nov 07, 2014
maclatunji:

Apparently, the main was already having an affair with the maid.
So we can't blame grandma na.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by coogar: 7:27pm On Nov 07, 2014
freecocoa:
So we can't blame grandma na.

grandma brought in the maid to compete with the main wife......its a common theme in many homes in nigeria. some mothers rule over their sons' lives like no man's business instead of staying in their own hubby's house.

1 Like

Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by freecocoa(f): 7:36pm On Nov 07, 2014
coogar:

grandma brought in the maid to compete with the main wife......its a common theme in many homes in nigeria. some mothers rule over their sons' lives like no man's business instead of staying in their own hubby's house.
Ofcourse I know this, I'm just saying that in this case, I don't see how it's the grandma's fault. What would you have her do? The man impregnated the maid, he prolly promised he'd marry her, I get that the grandma may not like the man's wife but that doesn't mean we blame her for the man's wandering abuna.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by coogar: 7:39pm On Nov 07, 2014
freecocoa:
Ofcourse I know this, I'm just saying that in this case, I don't see how it's the grandma's fault. What would you have her do? The man impregnated the maid, he prolly promised he'd marry her, I get that the grandma may not like the man's wife but that doesn't mean we blame her for the man's wandering abuna.

why bring in a maid in the first place? why am i even calling her a maid? she was brought in as a second wife from day one. she was asked to sleep on the matrimonial bed so she was never the normal type of housemaid we all know. this maid is like sarah's maid(haggar) in the bible.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by freecocoa(f): 7:49pm On Nov 07, 2014
coogar:

why bring in a maid in the first place? why am i even calling her a maid? she was brought in as a second wife from day one. she was asked to sleep on the matrimonial bed so she was never the normal type of housemaid we all know. this maid is like sarah's maid(haggar) in the bible.
Lol cheesy

Maybe I read the story wrong, I was thinking the maid was grandma's maid who had been living with granny until her son got the maid pregnant and that was when the story changed.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by pickabeau1: 7:53pm On Nov 07, 2014
freecocoa:
Lol cheesy

Maybe I read the story wrong, I was thinking the maid was grandma's maid who had been living with granny until her soon got the maid pregnant and that was when the story changed.

Possibly

More likely... A normal girl from the village who lived with grandma for a while.
Then brought in to the city
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by coogar: 7:54pm On Nov 07, 2014
freecocoa:
Lol cheesy

Maybe I read the story wrong, I was thinking the maid was grandma's maid who had been living with granny until her soon got the maid pregnant and that was when the story changed.

i doubt it....
grandmas don't use maids. grin grandma certainly dislike the wife - even if hubby got the maid pregnant scandalously, why should the grandma bring her there? na grandma born the maid?
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by freecocoa(f): 7:59pm On Nov 07, 2014
coogar:

i doubt it....
grandmas don't use maids. grin grandma certainly dislike the wife - even if hubby got the maid pregnant scandalously, why should the grandma bring her there? na grandma born the maid?
Ah, then you don't know anything about naija village settings o, na grandma them dey get maids pass.

The girl is under grandma na and obviously from a poor background, grandma being super woman decided to fight the battle.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by freecocoa(f): 7:59pm On Nov 07, 2014
pickabeau1:

Possibly

More likely... A normal girl from the village who lived with grandma for a while.
Then brought in to the city
This I think.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by coogar: 8:05pm On Nov 07, 2014
freecocoa:
Ah, then you don't know anything about naija village settings o, na grandma them dey get maids pass.

The girl is under grandma na and obviously from a poor background, grandma being super woman decided to fight the battle.

the question is - why did grandma bring her to the city? was she trying to solve a problem or trying to create a problem?
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by beau49: 8:41pm On Nov 07, 2014
My question is what do they need a maid for in a one room apartment or does 'maid' in this story mean something else

The heap of the blame falls on the man, who can't control his third leg.

#wandering d#$k putting men in trouble since 1600 angry
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by freecocoa(f): 8:42pm On Nov 07, 2014
coogar:

the question is - why did grandma bring her to the city? was she trying to solve a problem or trying to create a problem?
Even if she hadn't brought her, the man's family would still get to know, say the girl's family decided to make trouble.

She prolly thought she was solving a problem, remember that in grandma's time, a man could marry as many wives as he could afford, therefore grandma felt its no biggie, the first wife must adjust.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by coogar: 10:04pm On Nov 07, 2014
freecocoa:
Even if she hadn't brought her, the man's family would still get to know, say the girl's family decided to make trouble.

She prolly thought she was solving a problem, remember that in grandma's time, a man could marry as many wives as he could afford, therefore grandma felt its no biggie, the first wife must adjust.

those were the virtuous women, abeg. you 21st century women are too problematic. if your husband is getting a 2nd or 3rd car, you would celebrate. if it's the 2nd or 3rd house, even more celebrations.

why then do you people frown at a second wife? shouldn't it be the more the merrier? grin
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by freecocoa(f): 10:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
coogar:

those were the virtuous women, abeg. you 21st century women are too problematic. if your husband is getting a 2nd or 3rd car, you would celebrate. if it's the 2nd or 3rd house, even more celebrations.

why then do you people frown at a second wife? shouldn't it be the more the merrier? grin
The more the merrier huh? By all means bring in more men for the woman too and all will be well grin.

1 Like

Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by coogar: 10:34pm On Nov 07, 2014
freecocoa:
The more the merrier huh? By all means bring in more men for the woman too and all will be well grin.

if the society had embraced polyandry in the past, i doubt men would have any complaints at all. tradition is tradition. cheesy
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by freecocoa(f): 10:45pm On Nov 07, 2014
coogar:

if the society had embraced polyandry in the past, i doubt men would have any complaints at all. tradition is tradition. cheesy
Yea right. angry
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by texanomaly(f): 6:34am On Nov 08, 2014
maclatunji:

That is the story.
I was thinking the same as Ishilove. The story seemed to end too abruptly. I feel this story has great potential. It could have been a full fledged novel. There is so much detail that could have been explored. It still could.
Re: His Mother, Grandmother And The Maid by maclatunji: 9:49am On Nov 08, 2014
texanomaly:

I was thinking the same as Ishilove. The story seemed to end too abruptly. I feel this story has great potential. It could have been a full fledged novel. There is so much detail that could have been explored. It still could.

It is a short story, just 600 words.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Husband Throws Out Family Including A 10-month Old / Hsj / A Christian Husband Like Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.