Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,657 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

The Journey Of A Web Developer - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Journey Of A Web Developer (6648 Views)

How To Be A Successful Web-developer / What's Your Story Far In The Journey Of Web Development ? / Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by TechWalker007: 11:47am On Jul 04, 2015
Web development is a never-ending learning curve. When you think you have seen it all, then new techs emerge.
The beauty of it is that your knowledge of one tech helps when learning any new tech.

One thing though is that all developers must decide on the path to take and the guiding lines as the career is limitless and broad.

2 Likes

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by fokay: 11:56am On Jul 04, 2015
Short but nice writeup @OP, but like the poster before me, we need to focus on a learning path
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by aristosoft(m): 1:02pm On Jul 04, 2015
Cyriloha:

please friends I'm really in need of domain hosting that supports PHP HERE IN NIGERIA A RELIABLE ONE PLEASE. .... 09099575158

Every hosting supports PHP except you are looking for advanced configurations like RAM, custom extensions, etc

I host with Safehost. It's my personal hosting company. You can beep me for more
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by fromnigeria(m): 1:47pm On Jul 04, 2015
thanks poster for sharing,
How did you start? On your own or attended such schools?
Persons like me aspiring to become n get to your level are giving up either for financial reasons or cos of the complexities of the web.
How can a not even-a-beginner (who knows little of HTML&CSS) start? I really love Web design.
Thanks
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by guente02(m): 2:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
Really cool stuff.
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by KINGSULAIMAN: 2:34pm On Jul 04, 2015
I realy want to go into IT stuffs,any advice for a starter.
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by bigmo1(m): 5:46pm On Jul 04, 2015
@OP ur story is very similar to mine. In 2004, while waiting for my NYSC call up after my first degree, my mum came across an advert about web design training she gave me the money which was about 10k then to attend the 2 days crash course in web design. That was how I got introduced to Microsoft frontpage, corel rave and just about 10 HTML tags. From there I kept developing myself. After about few months I went from frontpage to dreamweaver which I initially disliked, from corel rave to swishmax and Macromedia flash, from doing graphics with corel draw to fireworks. then I started to tweak codes like html, php, javascript. I can't develop codes but can do a lot of tweaking to make the codes to my own taste. Now I have built close to 50 websites for a lot of my associates. Even though I have a fulltime job, I still make extra cash doing websites, and I still get to make money by just renewing expired domains.

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by Cyriloha(m): 5:59pm On Jul 04, 2015
aristosoft:

Every hosting supports PHP except you are looking for advanced configurations like RAM, custom extensions, etc

I host with Safehost. It's my personal hosting company. You can beep me for more
let's talk privately please gimme your Facebook or WhatsApp number the walls here get so many ears
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by mubitechnology: 11:20am On Jul 05, 2015
Imagine some I.T company in kano, telling people that they can become a pro in programming in just 3 month, hmmm
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by udokpuenyi(m): 2:00pm On Jul 05, 2015
Our identity and personal information has been compromised on nairaland hence I am replacing all post with this information.
If you are reading this information, please remove all your personal information from this site or ignore the message at your risk.
As if rule 9 is not enough , you still went and ahead to give out our ip addressess and social media contact
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by layrayson(m): 5:40pm On Jul 05, 2015
Seunvense:
What is the different between web designing and web developing?

Web design is closely related to Graphics design(infact its a sub discipline of graphics design) because you dont need to learn codes all u need is an eye for design, knowledge of design principles (eg Harmony, Balance, Proportion etc) and use of design elements (color, line shape etc), and u can design a website in photoshop or corel draw.

WEB DEVELOPMENT ON D ODA HAND REQUIRES CODING SKILLS. Web development requires knowledge of HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, PHP, etc..
it is divided into 2 ; frontend and backend.

FRONT-END web development involves languages like HTML&CSS(compulsory) ,JAVASCRIPT, JQUERY etc. it involves d coding of what d user sees on their browser. A FRONT END WEB DEVELOPER TRANSLATES A WEB-DESIGN into codes for d browser to understand.

BACKEND webdevelopment involves knowlege of programs like PHP,MYSQL,etc. if u know dis den u r a WEB PROGRAMMER and u will b able to build social networks, ecommerce websites, site similar to facebook, nairaland etc(but u av to b good)

NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so many pple confuse FRONT-END WEB DEVELOPMENT with WEB DESIGN. they are 2 different disciplines. IF SOMEONE promises to teach u web design and in ur first week u learnt HTML AND CSS he/she is teaching u WEB DEVELOPMENT(frontend) not web design.

though it is advisable that you as a front end web developer av knowledge of web design(graphics) so that u will b able to code beautiful,neat website.

lastly

stuffs u need to learn if u want to become a :
WEB DESIGNER: design principles and elements, web layout, photoshop,coreldraw(optional)
FRONTEND WEB DEVELOPER: html , css, javascript, jquery(makes javascript coding easy), and if i u want to be very independent learn WEBDESIGN(optional) etc...
BACKEND WEB DEVELOPER: php(for programming), mysql (for database), PYTHON(for programming&optional), POSTGRESQL( for database) , ASP.NET(for programming &optional)etc

LEARN ALL OF D ABOVE and u ll be called a FULL STACKED WEB DEVELOPER....

ALL THE BEST....

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by layrayson(m): 5:46pm On Jul 05, 2015
Drizzle007:
I sincerely what a mentor in this... Just started learning Web design. Pls holla on whatsapp. 0807 643 5502

all d best,... please keep an open mind it might b confusing at first but u ll find it easy if u r persistent
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by layrayson(m): 5:57pm On Jul 05, 2015
KINGSULAIMAN:
I realy want to go into IT stuffs,any advice for a starter.

if buy IT u mean web development ...
u either become a front- end webdeveloper or backend web developer or both(if u v got courage and time)
stuffs u need to learn if u want to become a :
FRONTEND WEB DEVELOPER: html , css,
javascript, jquery(makes javascript coding
easy), and if i u want to be very independent
learn WEBDESIGN(optional) etc...
BACKEND WEB DEVELOPER: php(for
programming), mysql (for database), PYTHON
(for programming&optional), POSTGRESQL( for
database) , ASP.NET(for programming
&optional)etc

if u want to develop mobile app den u will need to learn

java for building android apps
c++ for building ios app
and u can also learn web html,css javascript and u package them with phonegap so dat it will b installable on either android, iphone, blackberry or windows phones

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by romme2u: 12:08am On Jul 12, 2015
lekinz:
shocked shocked .. So one needs going through all this in becoming a guru

Buh what if one uses Wordpress in designing a website, it saves time and efforts.

Buying of theme and editing lobatan ... Abi

there is a chinese proverbs that says and i quote "there are different roads to the top of the mountain". i don't know if i got that correctly but getting to the top takes different route.

Ur vision and goals should drive what u do and how u do it. i took that route because i was preparing to program microcontrollers as i have a fair knowledge of C. it was purely to give me a solid programming foundation on which i can build a career in embedded systems/microelectronics which requires a great deal of programming skill. i also have fair knowledge of database design and under the hood development.

if installing wordpress and other cms works for u, take that route undecided. i am currently using cms for my developments(because of the kind of clients that are patronising me currently) as it affords my client with litttle computer knowledge to update and manage their site while i may provide support when needed but i prefer building ma themes and plugins/module where necessary (depending on the level of customization needed).

u don't need to pass through the route i pass through winkbut it will help if u know what is going on behind the scene to stay in the market. afterall na condition make crayfish bend grin
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by romme2u: 12:18am On Jul 12, 2015
Velocitron:
I completely agree with what you said about maintenance. Even in software design, continuous maintenance and updating is one of the most important things.

For my last coursework project, I used java script event-handling and PHP headers to make it seem like the page was loaded automatically (for example, if the user clicked a button to remove something from their shopping cart, the page would quickly refresh to show the change) because I didn't know about Ajax at the time, but I've been reading about it and I can't wait to start using it! Thankfully, I can host my projects on my university server.

I can't help but admire your zeal to learn, especially since you mentioned it was just an extra-curricular thing.

ma dear the power and allure of AJAX seduced me into learning JAVASCRIPT in 2011 after evading it for years..........and i have not regretted it. as i keep learning javascript, i start wondering what kept me away from such a sweet/sour, confusing, mystifying, elusive yet powerful language. i so love javascript and the beauty it brings to the web though still intrigue with the way browsers operate.
Re: The Journey Of A Web Developer by lekinz(m): 5:42am On Jul 12, 2015
romme2u:

there is a chinese proverbs that says and i quote "there are different roads to the top of the mountain". i don't know if i got that correctly but getting to the top takes different route.

Ur vision and goals should drive what u do and how u do it. i took that route because i was preparing to program microcontrollers as i have a fair knowledge of C. it was purely to give me a solid programming foundation on which i can build a career in embedded systems/microelectronics which requires a great deal of programming skill. i also have fair knowledge of database design and under the hood development.

if installing wordpress and other cms works for u, take that route undecided. i am currently using cms for my developments(because of the kind of clients that are patronising me currently) as it affords my client with litttle computer knowledge to update and manage their site while i may provide support when needed but i prefer building ma themes and plugins/module where necessary (depending on the level of customization needed).

[b] u don't need to pass through the route i pass through winkbut it will help if u know what is going on behind the scene to stay in the market. afterall na condition make crayfish ben[/b]d grin

I got your points bro ... Best of Luck Bro, am a newbie sha lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairabet Launcheds New Responsive Platform Website: Review / Easy & Simple Steps To Monetize Your Blog And Make Money Guaranteed / LiveScores - Football Pools Results and Fixtures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.