Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,814 members, 7,817,362 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Child Marriage In Nigeria - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Child Marriage In Nigeria (6893 Views)

Early Marriage In Islam / Video of 11-Year Old Yemeni Girl Fleeing Child Marriage Is A Hoax / Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Marriage In Nigeria by huxley(m): 11:31am On Nov 22, 2008
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by huxley(m): 6:00pm On Nov 22, 2008
What do our moslem friends think about child brides and practiced in Northern Nigerian states? Is it a good thing that they are emulating their prophet Mohammed?
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by huxley(m): 4:33pm On Nov 23, 2008
olabowale,

Are you gonna be watching how your moslem brothers threat their young girl children in Northern Nigeria next Friday. Looks like they are doing exactly what Mohammed would have recommended, doesn't it?
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by javalove(m): 7:44pm On Nov 24, 2008
@huxley

Define the term "child" and tell me when someone seizes to be a child.

If you had a daughter who is 15yrs old, would you be happy if boys were sleeping with her at every available opportunity or you prefer she be married?

If you had a daughter who is 15yrs, there would be nothing wrong if men round her over and over but dont you think she be married to save your shame?

If you had a daughter age 15, do u prefer her being deflowered by unknowns or her husband?

If you had a daughter age 15, would you be happy if she had her child(ren) in ur house or the house of her husband.

For every Islamic law you read about or hear of, you need to think deeply about it. Islam is not a religion that must conform to standards set by men or is all out to make sense to men.

When something is condemned in Islam, the laws would not tell you not to do it, or not to do it too much. Guess what? [B]WE ARE TOLD NOT TO MOVE NEAR EVIL!!!!!![/b]

oya, let personal attacks begin grin grin grin
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by huxley(m): 11:39pm On Nov 24, 2008
javalove:

@huxley

Define the term "child" and tell me when someone seizes to be a child.

If you had a daughter who is 15yrs old, would you be happy if boys were sleeping with her at every available opportunity or you prefer she be married?

If you had a daughter who is 15yrs, there would be nothing wrong if men round her over and over but don't you think she be married to save your shame?

If you had a daughter age 15, do u prefer her being deflowered by unknowns or her husband?

If you had a daughter age 15, would you be happy if she had her child(ren) in ur house or the house of her husband.

For every Islamic law you read about or hear of, you need to think deeply about it. Islam is not a religion that must conform to standards set by men or is all out to make sense to men.

When something is condemned in Islam, the laws would not tell you not to do it, or not to do it too much. Guess what? [B]WE ARE TOLD NOT TO MOVE NEAR EVIL!!!!!![/b]

oya, let personal attacks begin grin grin grin

Shame on you and shame on the islamic community if this is the sort of thing they condone and practice.

I would not prefer my daughter to be engaging in any of the above you cited. In fact, at that age I would rather she be in school, learning about the world and maturing into an independent individual so that SHE CAN MAKE DECISIONS for herself about who she would like to marry.

Are you suggesting that these parents marry off their children at such young ages because there is nothing else but marriage and children for them in their communities? What happen to schooling and learning about the world?
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by javalove(m): 11:46am On Nov 25, 2008
huxley:

Shame on you and shame on the islamic community if this is the sort of thing they condone and practice.

I would not prefer my daughter to be engaging in any of the above you cited. In fact, at that age I would rather she be in school, learning about the world and maturing into an independent individual so that SHE CAN MAKE DECISIONS for herself about who she would like to marry.

Are you suggesting that these parents marry off their children at such young ages because there is nothing else but marriage and children for them in their communities? What happen to schooling and learning about the world?

Shame on you. Her education would not in anyway be affected. If you really wantIt depends on you and your understanding. Look I'm currently in the nothern part of Nigeria (Adamawa State) and its the practice here. Infact I love it so much. Go to their universities, more than 70% of their 100 level students are married. Some of tnem have kid(s) and are still attending school. Another question for you is dont you think your daughter standa a berra chance of not engaging in fornication is she be married at that age. There are many instances where students have been impregnated while in school. There also many instances where gals are used and dumped in this same schools, engaging in abortions and all sorts. Man, look here, if you are sincere with urself, you know the best way to prevent evil is to block all its openings.

There are people who got married at 16, even 15 yrs and are graduates now. If you dont believe, come to the north and see them. Educated girls who can stand their conterparts who have gone through series of abortions, fornications and all that.

Stop being myopic. I know its the society you live that formed ur orientation. Not xtianity. Not Islam. Its ur society and maybe the kinda life u live urself.

Answer this:

Early marriage is bad, but early motherhood from unknowns would surely be applauded by you right?

Its berra for my daughter to get married to her husband at 15 and have a baby for him, than for some opportunists who just wanna hit and run.

Finally, its a shame on you that you didnt define who a child is, and tell the world whem someone seizes to be a child. olodo oshi

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by olabowale(m): 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2008
Huxley; In america, unless those of us, who want to deny it, boys and girls are eager to experiment, on everything; drugs, drinking, Deviant (like Deepzone, lol) and lude acts, including sex. Even a conservative town "Lodi or so," outside Boston, a clique of white girls had a "bumper crop" of Babies! None of the children came out other than "white." So the boys who slept with them are all white. This is safe to say, ifwe make visual observation, only that there is no "hue" to the Children born by these young girls, all of them under 18! Barack Obama, the incoming "leader of the Civilized world" is a product of "underage mother with a frisky (almost like me except that I have my rules and Islamic morals) older man. lol.

I personally may not agree with child bride. But instead of my female folk sneaking around in back alleys, and leaving the house at night to go and have "sex" with the boys, who may quick to deny it, when she is pregnant ( and it does happen), I will allow her to marry if thats what she wants.

I remember meeting a young Black woman in Newark New Jersey, in the 1990s. She was like a 22 year old girl, with a child as old as 5. And she was in her last year in school of Engineeing, majoring in Chemical engineering. Anyone who ever studied engineering, any field of it, including the almost management, known as Industrial engineeing, will know that it needs dedication.

This girl and others, were mothers and scholars at the same times. There were young black women (and by all standarad of "numbers of years could be considered underage) who were at New Jersey Institute of Technology, in Newark, who were doing good in Engineering. Look, while I will not marry any woman under 18, but a 35 year old woman may just be as immature as a 10 year old. Yet a 14 year old "girl" is already a woman.

There is a Cameroonian girl in New York city, who at 18 married a 40+ year old man. I met her, when Lakpenne was getting married in 2001. She was ready to be a wife even long time before she did. Her maturity was well beyond her " calender age. She could have eating a 30 year old "boy" alive!

A young woman from Urhobo, and her father was a former "justice commissioner" just got married less that 3 weeks ago. She is only 22, with a first degree and now on her way to a second one. She was pushing me all summer to marry her, becaue her womb is "crying for a baby." When she realised I was not going to do it, a man came and thats all she wrote.

Will you say that a 22 year old girl running after a 50+ year old man like myself is not a "child," in every respect, when my older boy is many years older than her? Yet, she is an achiever and comes from a good home. In some situations, you will clearly see "what looks like abuse of situation." Every person is different. In 1992, I was supposed to meet this famous "singer" in California. I knew that she was immature from all I have seen on TV about her. She was in her 20s, but has that childlike look and mentality. When I llooed at her, then, she was as if the baby fat was all that she had. So I turned it down.

What I am saying is that, there is a case by case basis for people. The northern Nigerians are not 100% muslims. And this "child bride" practices, is not 100% that of northern Muslims, alone. It is practiced by tribes and cultures, different and separate from Islam. In Cameroon, I am sure that there are people who have and are doing and shall do it. The Congolese and others, in and out of Africa do it.

Even in the Ol USA! And where America goes, the West have no choice, but to follow. There are people who do things that maybe unpleasant to you all over the world. FOR EXAMPLE, YOU HUXLEY is an UNPLEASANT MAN to me. Why; your DISBELIEF is completely unpleasant to me. But hey, its your decision. You have heard enough about "the Existence of THE GOD" on Nairaland.
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by javalove(m): 10:12am On Nov 26, 2008
olabowale:

I personally may not agree with child bride.

Salam Alykun. I still don't get the meaning of this "child thing" No one would give out a woman who has not started her menses out in marriage. Some girls start their period at age 14 or 15 years. Can girls who fall into this category be called "child (ren|)"

I will not marry any woman under 18

Well, maybe your opinion. Sir, in the north here where i am currently, a 15yr old girl is fit and ready for marriage.They are beautiful, and can make babies. I have a friend here who is married to a sudanese woman. He married her at age 15 and now they have 3 boys. She's 21yrs old now and still looking very very beautiful. She's big that you would hardly tell her age.

Again one thing i v noticed here is that in Nigeria, its only in the northern part you see a woman of 40yrs old and her first son or daughter is almost 23yrs. You see them gisting and walking shoulder to shoulder on the streets. I personally love that kind of thing. Most of my pals here that are mybe my age mate or some younger than me are already fathers or mothers. They are still attending school and Insha Allah, they have no problems.

Bottom line, I can marry a 15yr old girl grin. Maybe location also matters because a 14yr old girl here is almost like 23yrs in our own place. . . i mean interms of maturity, size and islamic knowledge.

Allah knows best
[quote][/quote]
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by olabowale(m): 1:23pm On Nov 26, 2008
@Javalove: As Salaamualaykum wa Rahmatullahi Taala wa barakatuh:

You are right. A child to me is anybody who has not reached the age of puberty, and then some. So, this age of puberty is personal, and not a definite date in time, except it is a nature "acting event" time. A boy may be 16 before he reaches puberty. So a girl may reaches her at 16. Yet some will reach theirs at 13! For me, anything after that, is maturity by gender definition, but in ability to handle societal matters, eg matrimony, is another subject matter, entirely.

Its like when a person fasts. In the summertime in the areas of the world above the tropics on the globe, the time of sunset is longer, while the time of dawn, in the morning is much earlier. So your fast may be from 3 am to 8.45 pm.

While in the winter, the same fast maybe as short as from around 6 am to 4.20 pm. So everything varies on time and place. So in the case of maturity, a group of girl friends, may reach, individually PUBERTY at different times. One girl may reach it at 12, and the last one in the bunch at 17! Yet the one who reaches her puberty at 14 or 16 among them maybe the individual who is most mentally matured among them. So for me, maturity is the ability to be mentally prepared for "marital condition as well as having menstrual period."

As a man, when I got married at age closed to 30 years old, I was not even prepared for it, nor ready for all its responsibilities and expectations. Yet, some 17 years old "boy" may have been ready and plunges into it, fully at 18!

In the case of Aisha, (RA), she was mentally matured and ready. It was not just the menstrual period alone. Thats what I mean by being matured and not just being a "CHILD!"

Finally, my age preference is my own alone. This is permissable in Islam. I remember a time that you could give me enough money to marry a 40 year old woman. Now my range is from 18 to 60! lol. But the woman, at 60, or younger, even at 18 must be "stunningly beautiful". I copy my Prophet (AS). I love women to almost to a fault.
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by JJYOU: 1:40pm On Nov 26, 2008
happiness just arrived nigeria
you know the best way to prevent evil is to block all its openings.
olabowale:
"underage mother with a frisky (almost like me except that I have my rules and Islamic morals) older man. lol.

A young woman from Urhobo, and her father was a former "justice commissioner" just got married less that 3 weeks ago. She is only 22, with a first degree and now on her way to a second one. She was pushing me all summer to marry her, becaue her womb is "crying for a baby." When she realised I was not going to do it, a man came and thats all she wrote.

What I am saying is that, there is a case by case basis for people. The northern Nigerians are not 100% muslims. And this "child bride" practices, is not 100% that of northern Muslims, alone. It is practiced by tribes and cultures, different and separate from Islam,
you do morality, why dont you do common sence and humility?
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by olabowale(m): 2:35pm On Nov 26, 2008
@JJYOU: Whats not "common sense and humility" about critiqueing myslef?

I am sure you seem not to understand that "humility is the common sense" that a person has when he/she knows and guard against what possible fault he/she may have. I am not immoral. At least we both agree. Where did i display in your highlighted phrase " lack of common sense and humility?" Enquiring mind wanna know.

And I think you should know that a person who is aware of evil and avoids it, is actually a good person. I think you are correct. He is a happy man.

Are you "Happy, JJYOU?"
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by Lady2(f): 7:06pm On Nov 26, 2008
Shame on you. Her education would not in anyway be affected. If you really wantIt depends on you and your understanding. Look I'm currently in the nothern part of Nigeria (Adamawa State) and its the practice here. Infact I love it so much. Go to their universities, more than 70% of their 100 level students are married. Some of tnem have kid(s) and are still attending school. Another question for you is don't you think your daughter standa a berra chance of not engaging in fornication is she be married at that age. There are many instances where students have been impregnated while in school. There also many instances where gals are used and dumped in this same schools, engaging in abortions and all sorts. Man, look here, if you are sincere with yourself, you know the best way to prevent evil is to block all its openings.

There are people who got married at 16, even 15 years and are graduates now. If you don't believe, come to the north and see them. Educated girls who can stand their conterparts who have gone through series of abortions, fornications and all that.

Stop being myopic. I know its the society you live that formed ur orientation. Not xtianity. Not Islam. Its ur society and maybe the kind of life u live yourself.

Answer this:

Early marriage is bad, but early motherhood from unknowns would surely be applauded by you right?

Its berra for my daughter to get married to her husband at 15 and have a baby for him, than for some opportunists who just want to hit and run.

Finally, its a shame on you that you didnt define who a child is, and tell the world whem someone seizes to be a child. olodo oshi

Excuse me but a 15 year old girl is still a child, she isn't fully developed enough to handle such things, and she should not be put in this situation. SHE ISN'T ALLOWED TO BE A CHILD. Instead of deciding for your child, let her decide for herself. There are plenty of girls who are virgins at the age of 21. Teach your child discipline and equip her with independence so that she can think for herself, instead of let herself be used by boys.
I fyou daughter cannot say no to men and value her sexuality, it is your fault as a parent for not teaching her. Marrying her off won't protect her chastity, chastity is still demanded in a marriage. She can easily open her legs to other men even while married. It is the girl's character that matters and not her status as a married woman.

I am 23 years old, unmarried and I don't open my legs to anyone, I make decisions on my own, my mother raised me to be a woman of character. She didn't have to get me hitched in order for my chastity to be preserved.

If your daughter is a slut as a single girl, she will be a slut when married. Plain and simple, raise your child to have character.

There are plenty of muslim women who still have their chastity. My friend is my age and she is getting married this december, but guess what, she is marrying a man of her choice and she is out of school, independent and still chaste. SO believe me it is not about what age you marry but about your character and values.
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by Lady2(f): 7:10pm On Nov 26, 2008
Salam Alykun. I still don't get the meaning of this "child thing" No one would give out a woman who has not started her menses out in marriage. Some girls start their period at age 14 or 15 years. Can girls who fall into this category be called "child (ren|)"

Have you given any thought to the mental capacity of the girl? You think because a girl has her menses she is automatically capable of being a mother? Even women in their 30s are not capable of being mothers. Simply getting pregnant andpushing a child out does not make one a mother. There are people who never gave birth and I are very much mothers. They adopted, I am like a mother to my siblings. I take care of them and provide for them, financial and emotional support. I have never given birth. SImply popping one out does not make you a mother.
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by Busybody2(f): 7:17pm On Nov 26, 2008
Nowadays, children start their period these days as early as age 8, so they are no longer to be seen as a child for that reason shocked Some sick people whom are no better that randy goats are better than, are just fucking sick in the head and should be chemically castrated angry angry angry
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 7:48pm On Nov 26, 2008
@Javalove,
Dont give me that rubbish!!!

I stayed in the North well In Bauchi State to be specific and I know the horror of child marriage first hand.

A girl leaves primary school at 12-13 and is married to a man of 40!!!! By the time she is 23 she is already divorced 3 times. These girls dont have any skill, dont know any trade other than sleeping with men and making babies these girls cant earn a living for themselves. So whenever the man does not drop money for feeding they are left to starve.

Most of these girls don't even know what they are going into I witnessed 2 separate instances when the girl ran away on the wedding night when her fathers agemate brought out his "Anaconda"

Have you found out the cause of VVF? and you want girls who are not matured enough to have babies just because they have started their period. if your daughter starts her period at age 9 then she is ripe for marriage?

Olabowale,

Take back those isolated cases. its a known fact that any girl who has a child before the age of 16 would have to drop out of school for at least 2 years So what becomes f her career and her life? You think women are just baby making factories?

The late Sultan of Sokoto (Maccido) married a girl of 13 while he was over 80. The girl should be like 18-19 right now. What do you think would become of the girl at this moment. when she is already a widow at 18 without any trade other than being Sultans wife

Is child making the only thing women are made for?
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by JJYOU: 1:16pm On Nov 27, 2008
dayokanu:

@Javalove,
don't give me that rubbish!!!

I stayed in the North well In Bauchi State to be specific and I know the horror of child marriage first hand.

A girl leaves primary school at 12-13 and is married to a man of 40!!!! By the time she is 23 she is already divorced 3 times. These girls don't have any skill, don't know any trade other than sleeping with men and making babies these girls can't earn a living for themselves. So whenever the man does not drop money for feeding they are left to starve.

Most of these girls don't even know what they are going into I witnessed 2 separate instances when the girl ran away on the wedding night when her fathers agemate brought out his "Anaconda"

Have you found out the cause of VVF? and you want girls who are not matured enough to have babies just because they have started their period. if your daughter starts her period at age 9 then she is ripe for marriage?

Olabowale,

Take back those isolated cases. its a known fact that any girl who has a child before the age of 16 would have to drop out of school for at least 2 years So what becomes f her career and her life? You think women are just baby making factories?

The late Sultan of Sokoto (Maccido) married a girl of 13 while he was over 80. The girl should be like 18-19 right now. What do you think would become of the girl at this moment. when she is already a widow at 18 without any trade other than being Sultans wife

these guys are sick.

@ olabs. i cant believe you are this low. while i have your attention, any chance of you saying some nice things on your brothers work in india?
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by olabowale(m): 3:18pm On Nov 27, 2008
@JJYOU:

@ olabs. i can't believe you are this low. while i have your attention, any chance of you saying some nice things on your brothers work in india?

If I am low, you must be "lower" by your suggestion and opinion seeking! If you have confirmed without any doubt that it is my brothers in India that has done something, then you will carry the burden with God! My blood brothers, are many but none is in India. My islamic brothers are all over the world. Yes, also in India. We will now see how long and thorough the investigation is, so that the actual criminals be found out.

We will compare the process with others, including 911 to know if "shoddy work" was done by the investigators in any of these infamous acts of crime. I am a muslim, in my soul heart and body. So I stand on Qur'aan and Sunnah. I will like anyone to point to any part of "Qur'aan and or Sunnah," where criminal acts are allowed on anyone, including even those who are themselves not innocents?

JJYOU, when you speak, please your heart, because the brain is not functioning properly in yor reposes. If Qur'aan enjoin the muslims to be just, shall we blame Islam and all muslims for the act of some? If this is the case, should i blme you, JJYOU on every crime that a Christian commits; individually or even as a people? I am sure that if you arrive in a part of the world, today, say chechnia, somebody will have some "crime tale" to tell about a Christian; I now think it is save to say that JJYOU did it? Or any evil experience that an Iraqi or Afghani person suffered in the hands of Christian Kufr!
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by ow11(m): 6:30pm On Nov 27, 2008
Muslims do not think like Christians and generally do not accept ideas that have a christian origin. It is unfortunate that young girls are born into Islam in Nigeria ( I doubt if this practice happens in the Mid East ) and have to go through this as early as 10 or 11. I do not understand why the men can't wait till they are old enough to make their own choice for a husband. It is just selfishness, greed and poverty that causes this (I don't think Rich people do this). It has nothing to with Islam but the shameless Nigerian interpretation of Islam.

The men have seen young girls with VVF and even educated Nigerian Muslims still believe girls who get VVF from early pregnancy are cursed children. How pathetic is it that education can not change this mentality from our brothers in the North. While I would agree to some of their opinions that It staves pre-marital sex, I do not see it as a way out. Why don't they marry off the girls to boys close to their age range? Afterall, the parents can take care of an extra child and monitor their activities to ensure they do not have babies.

I would advise the Government NOT to step into the matter and let the Northern society deal with it themselves before unfortunate scores of southern Nigerians are killed in the name of riot and protests.
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by ayinba1(f): 7:19pm On Nov 27, 2008
ow11:

. It is just selfishness, greed and poverty that causes this (I don't think Rich people do this). It has nothing to with Islam but the shameless Nigerian interpretation of Islam.

Good point
ow11:

The men have seen young girls with VVF and even educated Nigerian Muslims still believe girls who get VVF from early pregnancy are cursed children. How pathetic is it that education can not change this mentality from our brothers in the North. .
This is really surprising but are you really sure about the statement?

ow11:

I would advise the Government NOT to step into the matter and let the Northern society deal with it themselves before unfortunate scores of southern Nigerians are killed in the name of riot and protests,

Now where is the humanity in that?
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by babs787(m): 1:46pm On Nov 28, 2008
The age of sexual consent is still quite low in many places. In Japan, people can legally have sex at age 13, and in Spain they can legally have sex at age 12.

A 40-year-old man having sex with a 14-year-old woman may be a "pedophile" in the USA [/b]today, [b]but not in China today (where the age of consent is 14), nor in the USA last century. Biology is a much better standard by which to determine these things in my view, not the arbitrariness of human culture.

In the USA last century, the age of consent was 10 years old. California was the first state to change the age of c[b]onsent to 14, which it did in 1889[/b]. After California, other US states joined in and raised the age of consent too.

The most famous marriage in christianity according to christian belief is no doubt that of Mary, Jesus mother with Joseph. While the following details are not in the canonical Gospels in the Bible, it appears from other early christian writings (known as apocryphal writings) that Mary was 12 years old when the temple elders decided to find a husband for her. They selected husband by drawing lots and joseph whom they chose was an elderly man, being according to some accounts 90 years old. The husband was selected and Mary washanded over to him and she played no part in his selection. (1913th edition, catholic encyclopedia) [/b]while the western christian churches may not accept these account as authentic, the Eastern chruches in Europe do accept that [b]Mary was 12 years old and joseph was a widower 90 years old when they married.

It is also found in the babylonian talmud that a girl of the age of 3 years and a day may be betrothed, subject to her father's approva[/b]l and in the second half of the 17th century, the bridegroom was frequently [b]not more than 10 years old while the bride was still younger.

This is the reference of brother Johnny Bravo's Talmudic quotes.

A girl must be 12 years old for marriage, but a 3-year old may be betrothed with the father's approval.

In Abbyssinia in the 6th century, a law was issued prescribing inter marriage between christians and baptized Jews. Accordingly, no boy or girl over 13 was to remain unmarried, [/b]because such marriages would lead to speedy amalgamation of the communities.
[b]
Amongst the Hindus, [/b]child marriage of daughters of age 5 and 6 years old was common during the Brahmanic Dark Ages due to the custom of dowry. [b]Law books prescribed that the best patner for a man is approximately one-third his age. (Manu. IX.94). A man aged thirty years shall marry a maiden of 12 who please him or a man of twenty four, a girl of 8 years of age.

The Roman law stipulated that a man might marry at the age of 14 and a woman at the age of 12. This law was adopted by the church and is till preserved in various countries including some regions of the US. . In England, it was only in 1929 that the ancient christian miimum age for the marriage of females which was 12 was abadoned
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 8:13am On Nov 29, 2008
@Babs,

So what you are saying here is that its OKAY to marry a girl of 8 years?
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by olabowale(m): 1:34pm On Nov 29, 2008
@Dayokanu: Kuu Ojo meta. How is the family, etc? Nice to know that you are well.

Babs did not say anything about okay or not in any 8 years old girl marriage. You of all people should know that.

What he has done was simply to pull out from human history that other culture and religions, (christianity and judaism are not exempted. Hindu men have been feared by their wives to want to disvirgin their daughters), before the advent of Muhammad's Islam, and even after it. Did we not know about the Austrian and now the English guys who got their own daughters pregnant many times over! Are they muslims, too?

You, Dayokanu live in USA. You can't tell me that you have not heard of even white underage boys and girls engaging in freakiest of things, especially sex. Its not just the blacks or Spanish. But the orientals and all types of asians, in their communities engage in this thing called sex. And the white elites in their naighborhoods have their share of the forbidden "vegetables" too. Today it is KOOL to have children out of wedlock. Sharon Stone, Halley Berry are just examples. Marriage is a dying institution.

Everyone is having a "boo" who they perform illicit sexual acts with. Ask Funmilayo who laced hers with neo-woman, dominatrix acts. Yet she is from Osun state of 9ja. A state you will count as still carrying the yoruba morality of goodliness. (Funmi; ma binu. Oro lo boro wa. Oun to ba yeun, lafi nwe un). When you marry, I will stop Tormenting you about bad behaviors.
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by babs787(m): 7:34pm On Nov 30, 2008
@Dayokanu

So what you are saying here is that its OKAY to marry a girl of 8 years?

I do laugh when you as well as your fellow Christians and other non muslims 'throw stones' when issued is being discussed, forgetting to go through history before doing the attack.

It was yesterday that a friend of mine (single mother of three living in the States from the US) told me that I should celebrate with her that she would be a grandmother very soon. Funny enough, I know her to be a single mother catering for her three kids in which the lady happens to be 13 (not up to but would be in few months time). I asked about the husband of her kid daughter but she told me point blank that its going to be out of wedlock and said that afterall, she is going to be a grandmother. I couldnt believe my ears though I know that it happens but this friend of mine is going to fifties, a born again christian and holds a high position in her church.
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by Lady2(f): 10:19pm On Dec 03, 2008
Muslims do not think like Christians and generally do not accept ideas that have a christian origin. It is unfortunate that young girls are born into Islam in Nigeria ( I doubt if this practice happens in the Mid East ) and have to go through this as early as 10 or 11. I do not understand why the men can't wait till they are old enough to make their own choice for a husband. It is just selfishness, greed and poverty that causes this (I don't think Rich people do this). It has nothing to with Islam but the shameless Nigerian interpretation of Islam.

ok this is really funny, because at first the "marrying young girls" thing is the culture of the middle east that is inserted into islam, now it's the culture of northern nigeria that is inserted into islam.

there are american muslims that i trying to marry their daughters off. they can't legally do it, but hey if person no talk who go know?

please this isn't a culture thing, if that is the case, then the whole world have the same culture. and we all know that it isn't true.

so this is not something in culture alone, it is in islam period.

@ babs787

does that make it right? not too long ago slavery was the norm so we should go back to it?
incase you haven't noticed, the chinese do not hold much regard for human life, these are people that will cook a new baby to improve their sexual libido, so they are not exactly supposed to be used as role models in this issue.

times have improved and as civilization grows we get a better understanding of human life development. things that were done back in the day were done at a particular time for a particular reason, and because of the ignorance of people things continued that way.
but as we learned more we matured into better thinking.

I am not one to start speaking of muhammad as a pedophile as I understand that in his day this was the norm and that because of ignorance of what we now know about the human body and mind.

However today such practices shouldn't be allowed because we understand the mental and emotional damage it can cause.

If motgherhood is just about producing babies then everyone would be capable of being a mother. But we know that this isn't true.
Motherhood is much more than just popping one out. A mother has to nurture the child and care for the child's needs, and raise the child to be a responsible adult in society.
these needs include education, food, shelter, and more.
How can a mother provide such things if she cannot fend for herself? It would be even more understandable if these young girls are getting married to younger men, no they're marrying an old man who will probably die the next day out of old age, what is she supposed to do then?
she has no education and trade. all she knows to do is produce a child.

The excuse is generally that the man will provide as he is supposed to, well studies show that the man doesn't always provide and that islamic law gives him the upper hand. Seriously all he has to do is divorce her. When he thinks times are hard and he doesn't want to fend for her, he can simply say I divorce you, and she's gone. what is she supposed to do?

or do you think that muslim men are perfect and that they won't do that? how can you think so when islamic law allows for men to simply dump women and move to the next? to totally get rid of her if he feels she'll be a threat to him, he can accuse her of adultery, at which point she'll be stoned to death because a man's voice is more important than the woman's voice.

We are not living in history we are living in today's society and these muslim societies are not in a remote country somewhere, they are in countries where modern civilation has touched. they need to be able to provide for themselves.

these marriages should not be condoned and they should be outlawed.
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by Lady2(f): 10:24pm On Dec 03, 2008
I do laugh when you as well as your fellow Christians and other non muslims 'throw stones' when issued is being discussed, forgetting to go through history before doing the attack.

It was yesterday that a friend of mine (single mother of three living in the States from the US) told me that I should celebrate with her that she would be a grandmother very soon. Funny enough, I know her to be a single mother catering for her three kids in which the lady happens to be 13 (not up to but would be in few months time). I asked about the husband of her kid daughter but she told me point blank that its going to be out of wedlock and said that afterall, she is going to be a grandmother. I couldnt believe my ears though I know that it happens but this friend of mine is going to fifties, a born again christian and holds a high position in her church.

It is one thing if an act is committed by a person and another if the persons religion advocates it.

Just because a christian woman did it doesn't mean that christians condone it or that christianity calls for it. this isn't what christianity calls for.

the difference is that islam advocates such practices and christianity does not.

another thing, i stated it in my above post, it is good to know history so that you do not end up back there. basically you actually progress as time continues, you don't continue with practices because that's what used to happen. if that is the case, then slavery should still be around, after all it is something that happend in history.

should slavery still be condoned because it is something that happened in history or because it may still be happening somewhere else in the world?
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by arramyjay: 9:54am On Dec 28, 2008
@ poster,
You need deep understanding of somethings,how many years ago was that,and also note at that time there was nothing like school and other stuffs.These days a lot of people hide under the hadith and do all stuffs.
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 9:17am On Dec 30, 2008

I am still waiting for a response to this question!!!
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by muhsin(m): 12:53pm On Dec 30, 2008
I recently heard a report on Dutch Radio that the actual cause of VVF is not young age. Women of 40+ years are also found having the poblem. And these women were even interviewed.
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 8:35pm On Dec 30, 2008
You surely kid yourself muhsin, Why do we hardly hear about such cases in the South where the women are allowed to mature before getting married.
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by muhsin(m): 12:25pm On Dec 31, 2008
Yeah, I agree that I kid myself. Yet I told truth!
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by javalove(m): 1:15pm On Jan 02, 2009
JJYOU:

these guys are sick.

@ olabs. i can't believe you are this low. while i have your attention, any chance of you saying some nice things on your brothers work in india?

grin
Re: Child Marriage In Nigeria by focused123(m): 6:29pm On Nov 28, 2009
That should not come to anyone as a surprise. Islam permits child marriage with Muhammed leading as the role mode when he married Aisha at the age of six years oldl. Muhammed have no spirit of decency.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Beard-keeping A Tradition For Muslims? / Ten Promised Paradise-bound Companions / Seeking Forgiveness From The Most Merciful.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.