Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,466 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? (90781 Views)

Court Sends Adamawa Ex-commissioner To 10 Years In Prison For Embezzlement / Fashola At The Kalakuta Museum Where Fela Kuti Was Buried / Throwback Photo Of Fela Kuti Wearing Pant To Play Table Tennis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:
On-going research indeed. You're so jobless that you now research on Buhari and his arrest of Fela which happened decades ago. Why don't you channel your research on Boko Haram and suggest possible ways of ending the insurgency as a saTANist and tell us what JonaTAN has to offer in 2015.

Yeye dey smell!
and you think you've communicated? I don't know why some deranged folks would be given access to register on nairaland. They need to remain a guest till they regain sanity.

14 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by dastranger(m): 7:51pm On Nov 10, 2014
alphadux1:

Would you call that a law?

So what is it....
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by AgreatMan: 7:51pm On Nov 10, 2014
if barcanista's anaysis is true to a large extent. A 10 year jail term in a 6ft by 6ft prison would've been most appropriate. Buhari is getting really popular.

5 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by samuelson06(m): 7:52pm On Nov 10, 2014
barcanista:
When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

THE OFFENSE, GMB AND FELA:
First, there was an existing law/decree.

Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.
Morally, he's justified! Legally, he is not.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy

Waoh!!! For the first time, this is coming from "Buhari" himself. Very good analysis and opinion.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 10, 2014
alphadux1:

If this is true, then it was not a well thought out law, it was a case of generalisation, an assumption that all Nigerians bringing in or sending out foreign currency had to be stealing from the government or laundering. The law alone is a violation of fundamental human rights.
Absolutely correct. The law violates human right principles though his government motive was to curb money traficking to help the economy. I see that as one of the lows of Buhari. However, in a democratic dispensation, I am sure a President Buhari won't have the privilege of a law by fiat, this will mean working with existing law to execute justice.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Acidosis(m): 7:54pm On Nov 10, 2014
All thanks to the moderators,

Those who doubt the authenticity of my research course can request for a proof. I have nothing to hide

4 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by honeric01(m): 7:54pm On Nov 10, 2014
Oh dear Lord, Barcanista sent this thread to its early grave with a very opened and unbiased response, if not, the usual never-do-well would have derailed this thread with the usual Buhari is this and that.

Buhari obeyed the law and shunned emotion even though it was a bit extreme..

This is the kind of a leader we want, at least in this dispensation, The court of appeal and supreme Court would be the only saving grace for those who break any law.

7 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by omenka(m): 7:54pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:
Seun moved the thread to front page. I saw him viewing before he moved it. At a time when Nigerians are being killed almost on daily basis,this is the time Nigerians should reflect on the future of our beloved country,what has he done through his forum to unite Nigerians? Absolutely nothing!

Acidosis,I hope you get the research you are looking for since nairaland is now a place for you to do your research .

Nonsense!!
Seun your bias is becoming shameful. What is the meaning of this?? Was this moved to the fp because the op called you his/her mentor or because it is a research thread Do we now suppose if we do same, our threads would receive thesame treatment??

Remember that thread where you made that highly disgusting comment about the General when he LOST HIS WIFE?? We still have that fresh on our minds and like nairaland, WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! We understand your hatred for the gentleman, but you created a PUBLIC FORUM and must run it as such!

Nb. You may ban me till 3025 if you like.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Firefire(m): 7:55pm On Nov 10, 2014
Mrpauch:
The crimes of Gen Buhari as listed by Wole Soyinka.
http://www.opinions.ng/the-crimes-of-buhari/

Shall I remind this nation of Buhari’s deliberate humiliating treatment of the Emir of Kano and the Oni of Ife over their visit to the state of

Israel? I hold no brief for traditional rulers and their relationship with governments, but insist on regarding them as entitled to all the rights,

privileges and responsibilities of any Nigerian citizen. This royal duo went to Israel on their private steam and private business. Simply because

the Buhari regime was pursuing some antagonistic foreign policy towards Israel, a policy of which these traditional rulers were not a part, they

were subjected on their return to a treatment that could only be described as a head masterly chastisement of

errant pupils. Since when, may on ask, did a free citizen of the Nigerian nation require the permission of a head of state to visit a foreign

nation that was willing to offer that tourist a visa? One is only too aware that some Nigerians love to point to Buhari’s agenda of discipline as

the shining jewel in his scrap-iron crown. - Wole Soyinka

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by nigerianvenom(m): 7:56pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:
and the number one Buhari hater on Nairaland has moved the idiotic thread to front page.

when he moved the thread where ibsultan insulted the president to the fp,u never asked why he did that.
always,u do open up urself for abuse,yet u dont know

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 10, 2014
barcanista:
No Sir! Buhari like any human isn't perfect. A typical and disciplined military man he was, but on the course of his patriotic duty, he made the mistake of not granting pardon to fela. He made his money through hardwork and deserve not to be punished for it, though he was sentenced by the judge.
I will keep this post till Feb, 2015. I will gladly post the wide margin and analyse the loss of Buhari and the end of his political career.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Acidosis(m): 7:56pm On Nov 10, 2014
barcanista:
When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy

Thanks for this piece. I have highlighted some key words

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by calaway: 7:56pm On Nov 10, 2014
barcanista:

FELA KUTI

PLEA:

MY OPINION:

APC is just full of LIES!! FELA was innocent, Buhari was witch hunting FELA for exposing and writing a song about the 2.8 billion dollars that got stolen while buhari petroleum minister in 1978.

you will pay the penalty for lying against the innocent dead.

This is the TRUTH:- On 4 September last year (1984), minutes before leaving the country for an extensive tour of the US, Fela Anikulapo Kuti was arrested at the airport of Lagos. Fela was supposed to have carried 1600 English pounds with him instead of the maximum amount of 50 that one person is allowed to take out of the country. An accusation that Fela’s defense did not deny but explained by pointing to the 45 people in the retinue of the musician. And 1600 divided by 45 is nowhere near 50pounds it was just that all the money was in his pocket as the leader of the troupe

7 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 10, 2014
Fela is one man. The victims of boko haram number in thousands, all in a democratic state.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by dastranger(m): 7:58pm On Nov 10, 2014
slimmy05:
and you think you've communicated? I don't know why some deranged folks would be given access to register on nairaland. They need to remain a guest till they regain sanity.

Even if GMB has cockroaches in his cupboard, so who else should we call in to manage Nigeria.... jonaTAN??

I'm not insinuating GMB is the right deal... but to me it's a better option...enuff is enuff biko!
See I don't care about any party or ethnic or religious groups..All I want is a change and jonaTan ain't gonna give me that...

JonaTAN till we get sense!

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 10, 2014
calaway:

APC is just full of LIES!! Buhari was witch hunting FELA for exposing and writing a song about the 2.8 billion dollars that got stolen while buhari petroleum minister in 1978.

This is the TRUTH:- On 4 September last year (1984), minutes before leaving the country for an extensive tour of the US, Fela Anikulapo Kuti was arrested at the airport of Lagos. Fela was supposed to have carried 1600 English pounds with him instead of the maximum amount of 50 that one person is allowed to take out of the country. An accusation that Fela’s defense did not deny but explained by pointing to the 45 people in the retinue of the musician. And 1600 divided by 45 is nowhere near 50pounds
You know one of the requirements to be a follower of APC, one need to be an Indian hemp smoking crack head. Don't be surprised when they spew trash

4 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by duni04(m): 7:59pm On Nov 10, 2014
alphadux1:

Would you call that a law?
Oh then if this is an argument about the law itself, the title of the thread should be changed
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Firefire(m): 8:00pm On Nov 10, 2014
calaway:

APC is just full of LIES!! Buhari was witch hunting FELA for exposing and writing a song about the 2.8 billion dollars that got stolen while buhari petroleum minister in 1978.

This is the TRUTH:- On 4 September last year (1984), minutes before leaving the country for an extensive tour of the US, Fela Anikulapo Kuti was arrested at the airport of Lagos. Fela was supposed to have carried 1600 English pounds with him instead of the maximum amount of 50 that one person is allowed to take out of the country. An accusation that Fela’s defense did not deny but explained by pointing to the 45 people in the retinue of the musician
. And 1600 divided by 45 is nowhere near 50pounds

Chai, Barcanista,

Why are you trying to twist the truth...

8 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by TechRev: 8:00pm On Nov 10, 2014
nawa oohh but fela get mouth ohh!

"animal in human skin, animal wear agbada, animal put suit" see salutation!!!

Fela is dead but he lives on.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Mogidi: 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2014
calaway:

APC is just full of LIES!! [size=13pt]FELA was innocent, Buhari was witch hunting FELA for exposing and writing a song about the 2.8 billion dollars that got stolen while buhari petroleum minister in 1978.[/size]

This is the TRUTH:- On 4 September last year (1984), minutes before leaving the country for an extensive tour of the US, Fela Anikulapo Kuti was arrested at the airport of Lagos. Fela was supposed to have carried 1600 English pounds with him instead of the maximum amount of 50 that one person is allowed to take out of the country. An accusation that Fela’s defense did not deny but explained by pointing to the 45 people in the retinue of the musician. And 1600 divided by 45 is nowhere near 50pounds it was just that all the money was in his pocket as the leader of the troupe
GBAM!!!

5 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Tunmich: 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2014
HonourablePomk:
Buhari was a leader who did not want the face of his country to be tarnished thereby he stoped press freedom thats to say you dont know what is happening in Nigeria until you come into the country. and remember they rule by decree which must be obeyed and they are dictators

Just listen to ur hopelessness, & u r here on nairaland enjoying wat ur ancestor denied d fourth estate of d realm. The FoI

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by KA24DETT(m): 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2014
The problem with the youths of Nigeria is that they do not understand what is their right. They have never experienced good governance .
Anybody that has travelled and lived outside this country will tell you that jonathan is doing a horrible job .
Corruption is Nigeria problem . Tackle it and everything falls into place . No amount of transformation will work without tackling corruption. We have to start holding Jonathan accountable. He has to tackle corruption . Another 4 yrs of this guy and this country will never recover from it .

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Acidosis(m): 8:02pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:
On-going research indeed. You're so jobless that you now research on Buhari and his arrest of Fela which happened decades ago. Why don't you channel your research on Boko Haram and suggest possible ways of ending the insurgency as a saTANist and tell us what JonaTAN has to offer in 2015.

Yeye dey smell!

Politics is cra. zy I swear! Berem, you're my good friend off-nl? Why call me 'jobless'?
Have I ever begged you for a job?

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Mbediogu(m): 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2014
It was for the same reasons that he killed Ogedemgbe and 2 others. The same reason journalists were jailed and news about happenings in his time hushed. He wanted to prove to us what we already knew - military and deocracy mix well like water and oil.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by duni04(m): 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2014
calaway:

APC is just full of LIES!! FELA was innocent, Buhari was witch hunting FELA for exposing and writing a song about the 2.8 billion dollars that got stolen while buhari petroleum minister in 1978.

So twas Buharis fault that the judge didn't buy Felas excuse\defence? You're arguing like it was Buhari that tried the case himself and sentenced FELA to prison.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Mbediogu(m): 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2014
It was for the same reasons that he killed Ogedemgbe and 2 others. The same reason journalists were jailed and news about happenings in his time hushed. He wanted to prove to us what we already knew - military and democracy mix very well like water and oil.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2014
dastranger:

Even if GMB has cockroaches in his cupboard, so who else should we call in to manage Nigeria.... jonaTAN??

I'm not insinuating GMB is the right deal... but to me it's a better option...enuff is enuff biko!
See I don't care about any party or ethnic or religious groups..All I want is a change and jonaTan ain't gonna give me that...

JonaTAN till you hear bomblast in your neighborhood....
I think you need to focus more on selling your power bank than venturing into criticism. Why is Jonathan not a better candidate? Buhari won't smell that seat. He won't have a sight of Aso Rock except in his dreams. Jonathan has flaws, he is better than these lots who are in to take back what they've lost and shoot in the head their enemies.

We don't want to steer another war.

4 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by dastranger(m): 8:05pm On Nov 10, 2014
slimmy05:
I think you need to focus more on selling your power bank than venturing into criticism. Why is Jonathan not a better candidate? Buhari won't smell that seat. He won't have a sight of Aso Rock except in his dreams. Jonathan has flaws, he is better than this lots who are in to take back what they lost and shoot in the head their enemies.

We don't want to steer another war.

Bro we dey fight? and besides dd I tell you I'm selling banks?

Easy oo
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Firefire(m): 8:05pm On Nov 10, 2014
Acidosis:

Politics is cra. zy I swear! B.e.r.e.m, you're my good friend off-nl? Why call me 'jobless'?
Have I ever begged you for a job?

My brother, don’t take it personal, APC are known for making comments full of insults.

It is Factory Fitted!

7 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by HonourablePomk: 8:06pm On Nov 10, 2014
Tunmich:

Just listen to ur hopelessness, & u r here on nairaland enjoying wat ur ancestor denied d fourth estate of d realm. The FoI

Oh my . . . Bro you don't get it he asked and i gave him an unbiased answer i didn't support anybody
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by honeric01(m): 8:06pm On Nov 10, 2014
taking 45 people along and sharing 1600 into 45 just to beat the system is nothing but money laundering when in actual sense, only one person owned the 1600 pounds. (Though he made the money the legal way).

Before any more statement, we must know what money laundering means.

So before you quote me, be ready to define the term "money laundering "

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by sukkot: 8:06pm On Nov 10, 2014
barcanista:

FELA KUTI

PLEA:

MY OPINION:
I think this quote alone makes buhari the ideal candidate for nigeria. its like how a supposedly civilized country, america, which all you sell out negros love so much jailed wesley snipes for his own hard earned money without tempering justice with mercy even after wesley paid all his back taxes. the point being for nigeria to be a civilized nation like america we need people like buhari who apply the laws irrespective of who you are or how mundane your crime seems to most unlawful people. so if buhari is a sick man for jailing fela then america must be a sick country for jailing wesley snipes because they were both jailed for their own hard earned money. so the point here is to be a civilized nation, we need leaders who apply the laws. this is why all you negros run to america. because it is ' civilized ' and yet you dont want leaders who will civilize your own country

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Female Corper Caught In The Bush Destroying Ballot Papers In Imo (Photos) / Abdullahi Salame Shoots Dead An Armed Robber Who Attacked His House (Photos) / Which Is The Most Developed Geo-Political Zone In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.