Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Between President Goodluck Jonathan And President Lyndon Johnson - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between President Goodluck Jonathan And President Lyndon Johnson (678 Views)

APC Chief Opens Up On The Fight Between President Buhari And Atiku / Adeola Of Sahara Reporters And President Buhari Take A Photo / See What Obanikoro Wore For An Official Meeting With UN Reps And President GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Between President Goodluck Jonathan And President Lyndon Johnson by wirinet(m): 5:13pm On Nov 11, 2014
President Goodluck Jonathan share a similar fate with president Lyndon Johnson, Both assumed office after the death of their boss, the completed the term of their boss and got elected for their own fresh term. They both were involved in fighting a war they inherited from their predecessor. They both failed to win their respective wars.

But here is how they differ in attitude. Lyndon Johnson decline to go for a second term because of the disapproval of the American citizens of his handling of the vietnam war. But in President Jonathan's case, he is celebrating his declaration of a second term bid inspite of the general anger of the Nigerian population of his handling of the Boko Haram insulgency. The Boko Haram guy take Nigerian Territories at will, kill civilians at will, including school boys and the Army run from their barracks at the mere mention of Boko Haram. And the commander in chief of the Nigerian armed forces is limited to making only speeches, condolences and promises.

Here is the speech from Lyndon Johnson declining nomination from his party to vie for a second term;
With American sons in the fields far away, with America’s future under challenge right here at home, with our hopes and the world’s hopes for peace in the balance every day, I do not believe that I should devote an hour or a day of my time to any personal partisan causes or to any duties other than the awesome duties of this office, the presidency of your country. Accordingly, I shall not seek and I will not accept the nomination of my party for another term as your president.

Here is the speech from President Jonathan Declaring his intention to run for a second term;

Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, our stewardship has not been without challenges. We have had to deal with the wave of insurgency that has swept through some parts of our dear country. Only yesterday, Government Science Secondary School in Yobe State was bombed by insurgents, killing our promising young children who were seeking education to build the country and support their parents. Many Nigerians have lost their lives and property to these mindless killings. Let me crave the indulgence of all present here to stand up to observe a minutes silence in honour of these young lads who lost their lives. Clearly, this has cast a dark cloud on our Nation but we will surely win the war against terror. A number of young men and women have been kidnapped by these criminal elements including our daughters from Chibok. We will free our daughters and defeat terrorism.

We are equipping the armed forces and deploying special forces to engage the terrorist and end this senseless war. We must protect our country. We must save our people. I will do everything humanly possible to end this criminal violence in our Nation.

1 Like

Re: Between President Goodluck Jonathan And President Lyndon Johnson by acenazt: 6:46pm On Nov 11, 2014
Johnson was better because he didn't contest for a second stint even though the war was not fought on American soil. GEJ is declaring when the people he should protect are being killed

(1) (Reply)

Cross River State Deligate Election / Boko Haram Bomb Helicopter For Girei,adamawa / No Child Should Be Born With HIV - Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.