Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,750 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 (32167 Views)

Xenophobic Attack:nigeria Provides Emergency Number For Distressed Nigeria In SA / World Bank President Shuns Nigeria In His Visit To Africa / She Broke The G.o.p. And Now She Owns It- Times Op-ed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by magubane: 6:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
The G-20 summit has started in australia of the 20 biggest economies in the world..........but wait South Afica is the only country from africa, isn't nigeria the "biggest economy" as they say?

So where is it.
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 13, 2014
You still believe the lies of your government?

4 Likes

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by paniki(m): 7:23pm On Nov 13, 2014
Nigeria has always been the biggest economy, it's just that the Nigerian government doesn't have proper control of it which is a prerequisite in order to be part of these international bodies.
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by ActivateKruger: 10:03pm On Nov 13, 2014
South Africa is one of the founding members of the G20, Nigeria might be "Africa's largest economy" but South Africa's economy is still the most influential, still the most advanced and still the most dynamic.

Nigeria might have more biscuits but South Africa has the "Choice Assorted" box.

10 Likes

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Horus(m): 3:19am On Nov 14, 2014
magubane:
The G-20 summit has started in australia of the 20 biggest economies in the world..........but wait South Afica is the only country from africa, isn't nigeria the "biggest economy" as they say?

So where is it.
To be part of the G-20 of the 20 biggest economies in the world, Nigeria need to do more to crack down on the corrupt business practices, money laundering and tax evasion that cost Nigeria trillion Naira a year in tax revenue

1 Like

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 14, 2014
paniki:
Nigeria has always been the biggest economy, it's just that the Nigerian government doesn't have proper control of it which is a prerequisite in order to be part of these international bodies.

that's not the reason. You think there is more corruption in Nigeria than we have in the so-called G-20 countries?

Show us proof that anti-graft mechanism is a prerequisite and show us that Nigeria's anti-graft measures is sub par to those of the G-20 countries.

3 Likes

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 12:17pm On Nov 14, 2014
OMG! My last post is suppose to be in response @Horus
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 12:28pm On Nov 14, 2014
ActivateKruger:
South Africa is one of the founding members of the G20, Nigeria might be "Africa's largest economy" but South Africa's economy is still the most influential, still the most advanced and still the most dynamic.

Nigeria might have more biscuits but South Africa has the "Choice Assorted" box.

SA is there not because they are big enough to be there but because they were the biggest economy in Africa at the time the G-20 was founded. Currently, SA is NOT even in the top 20 economies by GDP.

And no, SA's economy isn't more influential, dynamic and more whatever you think it is. Nigeria occupies that spot!

1 Like

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Horus(m): 2:53pm On Nov 14, 2014
craziebone:

that's not the reason. You think there is more corruption in Nigeria than we have in the so-called G-20 countries?

Show us proof that anti-graft mechanism is a prerequisite and show us that Nigeria's anti-graft measures is sub par to those of the G-20 countries.

My point was not on a prerequisite, my point was on how Nigeria can save huge amount of money and strengthen its economy by fighting tax evasion that cost Nigeria trillion Naira a year in tax revenue.
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 14, 2014
Horus:

My point was not on a prerequisite, my point was on how Nigeria can save huge amount of money and strengthen its economy by fighting tax evasion that cost Nigeria trillion Naira a year in tax revenue.

I agree with this comment. I wonder how Nigeria, a country with 25 confirmed billionaires isn't able to earn over 100 billion dollars in tax revenues each year.

We have by far the worst tax to GDP ratio of the world's top 25 economies.

However, I disagree with your comments about corruption been the pre-requisite for joining the G-20. Neither is South-Africa part of the G-20 because it's amongst the world's top 20 economies.

It is not.
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 14, 2014
ActivateKruger:

This isn't based on any credible facts.

South-Africa is not more influential or dynamic than Nigeria on the African continent.
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 14, 2014
Horus:

To be part of the G-20 of the 20 biggest economies in the world, Nigeria need to do more to crack down on the corrupt business practices, money laundering and tax evasion that cost Nigeria trillion Naira a year in tax revenue

Iran is a more G-20 country than Australia, Argentina, south-africa. However, they aren't a member.

Corruption in Nigeria is over-rated, neither is the U.S, China, Russia, south-africa less corrupt than Nigeria.

The problem with Nigeria I our tax to GDP ratio.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by EVarn(m): 3:50pm On Nov 14, 2014
ActivateKruger:

Nope,while SA's economy is more diverse and industrialized at present,it isnt the most "dynamic" as you call it,in fact,currently your economy is stagnant,growth is stagnant,foreign investment is also stagnant.with the current investment rate and industrialization policies,in 10 years time,nigeria will be one of the 10 biggest and most advanced economy in the world.SA beats nigeria in GDP per capita and HDI,but thats to be expected{for now} as nigeria has a 170 million population,while SA has a paltry 50 million.japan beats china and USA in those indices too.

2 Likes

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Missy89(f): 10:36pm On Nov 14, 2014
EVarn:
Nope,while SA's economy is more diverse and industrialized at present,it isnt the most "dynamic" as you call it,in fact,currently your economy is stagnant,growth is stagnant,foreign investment is also stagnant.with the current investment rate and industrialization policies,in 10 years time,nigeria will be one of the 10 biggest and most advanced economy in the world.SA beats nigeria in GDP per capita and HDI,but thats to be expected{for now} as nigeria has a 170 million population,while SA has a paltry 50 million.japan beats china and USA in those indices too.

ANC pretty much ruined the country
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by EVarn(m): 11:02pm On Nov 14, 2014
Missy89:

ANC pretty much ruined the country
i tell you.SA is the only african country that gives it citizens almost everything for free.over the years,the people have become lazy and government dependent,and as we all know,an idle population breeds a doomed economy.then again,in recent years corruption has increased drastically,with wasteful government spendind,what else is to be expected but a failed economy.
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 4:47am On Nov 15, 2014
Henry120:

Iran is a more G-20 country than Australia, Argentina, south-africa. However, they aren't a member.

Corruption in Nigeria is over-rated, neither is the U.S, China, Russia, south-africa less corrupt than Nigeria.

The problem with Nigeria I our tax to GDP ratio.

you are absolutely right about the corruption rate in Nigeria. I think the reason we continue to get a low rating on the corruption index is because those guys who do the rating don't actually go on a research and their criteria are not the best. They actually get their info from the average citizen who is typically a cynic.

I was in someone's room last night and he was asking another person if anything ever improves in Nigeria. The other guy replied "corruption" and he agreed with him. I mentioned infrastructure and they both disagreed.

My point is...Nigerians have failed to see the obvious improvement instead they keep to their stereotypical idea of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by ActivateKruger: 1:24pm On Nov 15, 2014
craziebone:

SA is there not because they are big enough to be there but because they were the biggest economy in Africa at the time the G-20 was founded. Currently, SA is NOT even in the top 20 economies by GDP.

And no, SA's economy isn't more influential, dynamic and more whatever you think it is. Nigeria occupies that spot!

NO, South Africa still has the most dynamic economy in Africa
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by ActivateKruger: 1:28pm On Nov 15, 2014
EVarn:
i tell you.SA is the only african country that gives it citizens almost everything for free.over the years,the people have become lazy and government dependent,and as we all know,an idle population breeds a doomed economy.then again,in recent years corruption has increased drastically,with wasteful government spendind,what else is to be expected but a failed economy.

Qatari-ans get more than South Africans from the state, I dont see that producing laziness.

South Africa can afford giving grants to the elderly, disabled and the orphaned... those are the duties of the state. We dont want to see orphans begging for survival like in most African countries (Thank God Im in South Africa).
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by ActivateKruger: 1:39pm On Nov 15, 2014
Henry120:

This isn't based on any credible facts.

South-Africa is not more influential or dynamic than Nigeria on the African continent.

Henry, we have discussed this a million times.

Nigeria's economy is nothing but creative economics by Madam Ngozi and her boss Jonathan. If Nigeria's economy was all what its claimed to be then why.

- South Africa has the largest stock exchange at the value of US$182.6 billion compared to Nigeria's $80.8 billion
- South Africa has a tax base which is 3 times of Nigeria's tax base
- South Africa has 85% of Africa's top 30 largest companies - Nigeria has 0

These just prove the supremacy of the South African economy in Africa.

4 Likes

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by EVarn(m): 1:44pm On Nov 15, 2014
ActivateKruger:

Qatari-ans get more than South Africans from the state, I dont see that producing laziness.

South Africa can afford giving grants to the elderly, disabled and the orphaned... those are the duties of the state. We dont want to see orphans begging for survival like in most African countries (Thank God in South Africa).
another falacy to be dismissed.SA can only dash out peanuts to its citizens because of your relatively small population.in the end,idleness breed a stagnant economy,high unemployment rate,reduced productivity and high crime rate.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by EVarn(m): 1:45pm On Nov 15, 2014
ActivateKruger:

South Africa can afford giving grants to the elderly, disabled and the orphaned... those are the duties of the state. We dont want to see orphans begging for survival like in most African countries (Thank God in South Africa).
another falacy to be dismissed.SA can only dash out peanuts to its citizens because of your relatively small population.in the end,idleness breed a stagnant economy,high unemployment rate,reduced productivity and high crime rate that now pervade SA.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by ActivateKruger: 1:46pm On Nov 15, 2014
EVarn:
another falacy to be dismissed.SA can only dash out peanuts to its citizens because of your relatively small population.in the end,idleness breed a stagnant economy,high unemployment rate,reduced productivity and high crime rate.

No it reduces poverty.... the World Bank says so, who are you to think otherwise

http://www.mediaclubsouthafrica.com/democracy/4066-south-african-policies-help-to-reduce-poverty-says-world-bank
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by EVarn(m): 2:04pm On Nov 15, 2014
ActivateKruger:

No it reduces poverty.... the World Bank says so, who are you to think otherwise

http://www.mediaclubsouthafrica.com/democracy/4066-south-african-policies-help-to-reduce-poverty-says-world-bank
*snorts*,just like when a kid was asked why he thinks satan has horns,he replied: "because my father said so".so because the world bank tells you that your government's free handouts reduce poverty,it is good?.ok lets assume poverty is reduced,what of; employment,productivity,crime rate and economic growth?....dashing people money isnt the way out love,you need to give them an avenue to make money for themselves and others.a fact your dumb ANC government dont understand.
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by ActivateKruger: 2:28pm On Nov 15, 2014
EVarn:
*snorts*,just like when a kid was asked why he thinks satan has horns,he replied: "because my father said so".so because the world bank tells you that your government's free handouts reduce poverty,it is good?.ok lets assume poverty is reduced,what of; employment,productivity,crime rate and economic growth?....dashing people money isnt the way out love,you need to give them an avenue to make money for themselves and others.a fact your dumb ANC government dont understand.

The dumb ANC has;

- Built hundreds of thousands of houses for the poor who would otherwise live in shacks and mud houses
- They have build more schools and clinics than any other government in Africa
- Building modern infrastructure
- Build sporting facilitates
- Hosted the Rugby World Cup
- Hosted the Cricket World Cup
- Hosted the Soccer World Cup
- Provided free tertiary education to those who couldn't afford
- Provided grants for disabled and orphans who wouldn't have means to feed themselves

[size=14pt]What has your government done for Nigerians? NOTHING [/size]

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by EVarn(m): 2:58pm On Nov 15, 2014
ActivateKruger:

The dumb ANC has;
-Build hundreds of thousands of houses for the poor who would otherwise live in shacks and mud houses
-They have build more schools and clinics than any other government in Africa
-Building modern infrastructure
-Build sporting facilitates
-Hosted the Rugby World Cup
-Hosted the Cricket World Cup
-Hosted the Soccer World Cup
-Provided free tertiary education to those who couldn't afford
-Provided grants for disabled and orphans who wouldn't have means to feed themselves.What has your government done for Nigerians?
^more stories for the gods.yes your dumb ANC government provides all those things you stipulated{though i dont know how hosting world cups is necessary to this topic}.but how has it impacted on your economy over the years?,free housing and food is all well and good,but what happens during an economic depression?,SA has the worst crime rates,a fast rising unemployment rate,and a stagnant economy for all your troubles.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by ActivateKruger: 3:09pm On Nov 15, 2014
EVarn:
^more stories for the gods.yes your dumb ANC government provides all those things you stipulated{though i dont know how hosting world cups is necessary to this topic}.but how has it impacted on your economy over the years?,free housing and food is all well and good,but what happens during an economic depression?,SA has the worst crime rates,a fast rising unemployment rate,and a stagnant economy for all your troubles.

I wont say more

3 Likes

Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
ActivateKruger:

NO, South Africa still has the most dynamic economy in Africa

thats because you said so! smiley
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by ActivateKruger: 4:00pm On Nov 15, 2014
craziebone:

because of the evidence I posted Henry120
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by ActivateKruger: 4:01pm On Nov 15, 2014
craziebone:

Because of the facts I posted henry120
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 15, 2014
ActivateKruger:

South Africa can afford giving grants to the elderly, disabled and the orphaned... those are the duties of the state. We dont want to see orphans begging for survival like in most African countries (Thank God Im in South Africa).

it seems you don't understand what's going on in that part of the world. Do you know that much of the job in that country is done by foreigners? Do you know that their work force has a very huge foreing presence? If giving out handouts is actually leads to development, why is it that most of their infrastructures are being built by foreign companies? They do not even have enough entreprenure? How many brands are coming out of that part of the world apart from Aljazeera and maybe date fruit?
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 4:09pm On Nov 15, 2014
ActivateKruger:

because of the evidence I posted Henry120

I hope you know many companies, including Nigeria's large telecoms industry, General Electric, stallion group, BUA group, and many other heavy manufacturers aren't listed on the NSE?
Re: Where Is Nigeria In The G-20 by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 15, 2014
Nigeria has no top company? Which planet did this guy drop from, if i may ask? And hope this guy is not counting the likes of Anglo-America as one of SA's "top companies"!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Man Points Gun At Argentine Vice President In Assassination Attempt (Video) / Speaker Lindsay Hoyle And Kemi Badenoch Clash In The House Of Common (Video) / London Skyscraper That Melts Cars And Fries Eggs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.