Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,607 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage (47189 Views)

Maid Who Savagely Beat Ugandan Toddler To Face Attempted Murder Charge / How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? / Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 15, 2014
flamingtiger:
always dragging jesus into every discussion .don't worry na my portion

I thought I was the only one that always sees them.

Smh angry
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by unmask: 12:39pm On Nov 15, 2014
PROCTOR:
I pray this for our generation concerning marriage....
That we cherish marriage
that we protect it
that we stay married
ain't saying amen to that
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by unmask: 12:40pm On Nov 15, 2014
justcallbuki:
we have bypass that stage and its getting better everyday!
Uhmmn never knew i will still b in dis marriage till now! Thank u lord for d perservarance n patient
get a divorce...... Enjoy your freedom
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by unmask: 12:43pm On Nov 15, 2014
braine:

It’s said that the first year of marriage is the hardest one. The adjustments and changes that spouses encounter as newlyweds topple almost every other period in life — you and your spouse may feel stuck between the couple you used to be and the married couple you want to become. Marriage is a big risk; it can guarantee a lifetime of love, fulfillment, security and satisfaction, but it can also lead to quarrels, abuse, loneliness and divorce.
Here are the top eight challenges that spouses may need to overcome in their first year:

1) Domesticity Problems
The first thing that springs to mind is anything associated with domesticity. This means anything that can be lumped into what we like to call “household chores,”like washing the dishes, doing the laundry, tidying up or cooking dinner. For many recently married people, sharing a house with someone else is entirely new. Trying to divide the tasks in a fair and even way can put an enormous strain on a relationship.

2) Financial Issues
Financial issues always crop up in the first year of marriage. Being married means sharing everything, spending money together,saving money together and dividing the income fairly. For the first time ever, you can’t simply decide to save up for a holiday or a new car; nor can you impulsively buy that new pair of designer boots. Your partner’s financial sensibilities have to be taken into account.

3) Romance Challenge
When you’re married, it’s easy to stop being romantic.There’s an element of safety, and the “you’re not going anywhere” mentality comes with a dwindling of the things that can make a relationship worth it; texting and calling from work, going out for a nice meal, flirting and looking good for one another.

4) Personality Differences
Living together means spending a lot of time together, so it’s inevitable that certainlifestyle differenceswill become abundantly clear. You might enjoy eating out while your partner might like to stay in and cook. You might like reading, and your partner might prefer watching television. It’s important to negotiate, compromise and find a balance.

5) Lifestyle Changes
As a married couple, the first year will bring a whirlwind of lifestyle changes. In your dating period, it was probably very relaxed, casual and fun. In a marriage, these things are inevitably combined withsome of the more boring stuff, like planning, working, stressing over money and sleeping early as opposed to going out and dancing. It’s important not to resent your partner for this.

6) Parental Influence
When you’re dating, it’s just the two of you. When you’re married, it’s the whole family or both families. You have in-laws to impress. You’ve taken their child away, so they’re bound to stick their noses into your affairs.Parental influencecan be a real burden on your marriage before you get used to it.

7) Unexpected Fights
The first year of marriage is said to bring aninflux of fighting. This is probably because you’re with each other all the time for the first time since your relationship began. Plus, the fights may have an intensity that they didn’t have before, and you might feel like you have fewer places to escape.

cool Independent Plans
It becomes easy to start acting independentlyof one another in the first year.Bound by the wedding ring, you might feel more inclined to make plans without consulting your partner. If you get into the habit of doing this early on, there’s a danger it might affect your entire marriage.

Marriage can be the most rewarding decision that you’ll make in your life. If you make it to your first anniversary, you’re halfway there. By establishing a strong base on which to build, the rest of your married life should be something you can anticipate, plan towards and look forward to.

https://mydayregistry.com/gifts/8-challenges-to-overcome-your-first-year-of-marriage/
the only challenge is the real person being hidden........ That is why I always say partnership works better
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by braine(m): 12:45pm On Nov 15, 2014
unmask:
the only challenge is the real person being hidden........ That is why I always say partnership works better

Partnership? How do you mean?
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by Jennifer89(f): 12:49pm On Nov 15, 2014
Courtship clears all that abg.
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by Boyooosa(m): 3:48pm On Nov 15, 2014
no mo night n shack tins ... dullling! me no lyk am at all.
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 15, 2014
Amen to that smiley
PROCTOR:
I pray this for our generation concerning marriage....
That we cherish marriage
that we protect it
that we stay married
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by SenatorJames(m): 6:03pm On Nov 15, 2014
braine:

It’s said that the first year of marriage is the hardest one. The adjustments and changes that spouses encounter as newlyweds topple almost every other period in life — you and your spouse may feel stuck between the couple you used to be and the married couple you want to become. Marriage is a big risk; it can guarantee a lifetime of love, fulfillment, security and satisfaction, but it can also lead to quarrels, abuse, loneliness and divorce.
Here are the top eight challenges that spouses may need to overcome in their first year:

1) Domesticity Problems
The first thing that springs to mind is anything associated with domesticity. This means anything that can be lumped into what we like to call “household chores,”like washing the dishes, doing the laundry, tidying up or cooking dinner. For many recently married people, sharing a house with someone else is entirely new. Trying to divide the tasks in a fair and even way can put an enormous strain on a relationship.

2) Financial Issues
Financial issues always crop up in the first year of marriage. Being married means sharing everything, spending money together,saving money together and dividing the income fairly. For the first time ever, you can’t simply decide to save up for a holiday or a new car; nor can you impulsively buy that new pair of designer boots. Your partner’s financial sensibilities have to be taken into account.

3) Romance Challenge
When you’re married, it’s easy to stop being romantic.There’s an element of safety, and the “you’re not going anywhere” mentality comes with a dwindling of the things that can make a relationship worth it; texting and calling from work, going out for a nice meal, flirting and looking good for one another.

4) Personality Differences
Living together means spending a lot of time together, so it’s inevitable that certainlifestyle differenceswill become abundantly clear. You might enjoy eating out while your partner might like to stay in and cook. You might like reading, and your partner might prefer watching television. It’s important to negotiate, compromise and find a balance.

5) Lifestyle Changes
As a married couple, the first year will bring a whirlwind of lifestyle changes. In your dating period, it was probably very relaxed, casual and fun. In a marriage, these things are inevitably combined withsome of the more boring stuff, like planning, working, stressing over money and sleeping early as opposed to going out and dancing. It’s important not to resent your partner for this.

6) Parental Influence
When you’re dating, it’s just the two of you. When you’re married, it’s the whole family or both families. You have in-laws to impress. You’ve taken their child away, so they’re bound to stick their noses into your affairs.Parental influencecan be a real burden on your marriage before you get used to it.

7) Unexpected Fights
The first year of marriage is said to bring aninflux of fighting. This is probably because you’re with each other all the time for the first time since your relationship began. Plus, the fights may have an intensity that they didn’t have before, and you might feel like you have fewer places to escape.

cool Independent Plans
It becomes easy to start acting independentlyof one another in the first year.Bound by the wedding ring, you might feel more inclined to make plans without consulting your partner. If you get into the habit of doing this early on, there’s a danger it might affect your entire marriage.

Marriage can be the most rewarding decision that you’ll make in your life. If you make it to your first anniversary, you’re halfway there. By establishing a strong base on which to build, the rest of your married life should be something you can anticipate, plan towards and look forward to.

https://mydayregistry.com/gifts/8-challenges-to-overcome-your-first-year-of-marriage/
Thanks. What a great practical teaching.

God will help us to overcome all the challenges of a matrimonial home.
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by IDERAWOLE(m): 6:08pm On Nov 15, 2014
If you are not yet married, you better believe this post.

However, of all the points mentioned above the second can really be trying. It is always touchy when you have yourself being challenged by your wife; that she's not being carried along in your expenditure.

Boy"O"Boy, it is not easy as you are so used to doing things previously without consultation. But dont worry, you can always learn and adjust as long as you are not too cocky about this.

A man is more comfortable to do this particularly when CASH is really there. For those struggling financially; it's more challenging.

So ensure you increase your financial base as you get married.

Start a business with about 100k and start making about 50k beginning from the 3rd month and increase this as you expand your team.

Give me a shout through my signature below for further directions, meanwhile visit this site for more info about the company and their world-wide acclaimed products for all kind of health issues including terminal ones that the Doctors have even given up on.

www.cni-nigeria.com

1 Like

Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by okabe(m): 7:34pm On Nov 15, 2014
Nursy:
When I get to the bridge I will cross over..... I just don't want unnecessary stress from a man who calls himself my husband.
With this kind of attitude, you might just get burned. Sorry to say.
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by Nursy(f): 7:53pm On Nov 15, 2014
okabe:

why would u say that? Do u know me personally that made u make such statement...
Sigh! Nairalanders sha....
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by justcallbuki(f): 8:31pm On Nov 15, 2014
unmask:
get a divorce...... Enjoy your freedom
all dis children sef,what are you doing here BTW ehn?

1 Like

Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by unmask: 7:53am On Nov 16, 2014
justcallbuki:

all dis children sef,what are you doing here BTW ehn?
would rather be a child with freedom, than an adult in shackles...... Get a shrink to have a no holds barred conversation with married folks and see how many would prefer being single and free....

Final notes, don't let society decide what happiness should mean for you.... Marriage is just marriage no prizes and no rewards

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by unmask: 7:59am On Nov 16, 2014
braine:

Partnership? How do you mean?
civil partnership where each person knows the other can walk out at any time, so there would be no need for pretence......
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by Nursy(f): 9:42am On Nov 16, 2014
Utewnojo
UTEWUOJO:
Dat's true
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by Nursy(f): 9:46am On Nov 16, 2014
Bros na wetin I do you?.. U don't know me for you to make such statement..
Sigh! Nairalanders sha!
okabe:

Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by okabe(m): 11:47am On Nov 16, 2014
Nursy:
Bros na wetin I do you?.. U don't know me for you to make such statement..
Sigh! Nairalanders sha!
Sorry if I poked a soft spot. But I still maintain that you check the attitude. I don't need to know you in person to make meaning out of what you posted

1 Like

Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by braine(m): 1:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
unmask:
civil partnership where each person knows the other can walk out at any time, so there would be no need for pretence......

Tgis sounds interesting.
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by Nursy(f): 1:56pm On Nov 16, 2014
Ok... Thank you.
okabe:

Sorry if I poked a soft spot. But I still maintain that you check the attitude. I don't need to know you in person to make meaning out of what you posted
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by okabe(m): 2:47pm On Nov 16, 2014
Nursy:
Ok... Thank you.
Uwc smiley
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by missphumby(f): 4:03pm On Dec 06, 2014
Hmmmm. Dunno why sha. But I just av phobia for marriage, I'm scared of making d wrong choice and I'm also afraid of remaining single #Gamophobia #anuptaphobia
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by braine(m): 4:29pm On Dec 06, 2014
missphumby:
Hmmmm. Dunno why sha. But I just av phobia for marriage, I'm scared of making d wrong choice and I'm also afraid of remaining single #Gamophobia #anuptaphobia

Yeah I know that feeling. Its like the first day school. cheesy you'll make the right choice if you are good personally, you'll attract your type.
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by Nobody: 5:13pm On Dec 07, 2014
@@nobody abeg no vex...are u a male or female??
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by braine(m): 5:22pm On Dec 07, 2014
uzobaby:
@@nobody abeg no vex...are u a male or female??

Who's nobody?
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 07, 2014
braine:

Who's nobody?
a nairalnder dat I dn't knw weda na he/she
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by braine(m): 6:53pm On Dec 07, 2014
uzobaby:
a nairalnder dat I dn't knw weda na he/she

That happens sometimes. The person was probably banned or the account has been deactivated
Re: 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage by hero2000: 11:49am On Feb 24, 2016
ugotex85:
8 challenges cha? Was that why my friend defined marriage as public toilet, while those outside are in a haste to rush in, those inside are in a hurry to rush out? Hmmm, God help us o..

No. That definition is wrong. This because a marriage is what you make out of it. Some marriages are indeed like the public toilet but some are really working beautifully.

Whatever becomes of your marriage depends first on you, then secondly your spouse. Not the other way round. If you are a man, are matured enough in mind to be that lady's husband? Will she find in you a support that her parents used to be to her? Or you will be her problem?

If you are a woman, are you ready to support and help that man? If for whatever reason you can't respect him DON'T marry him.

Mine is working so beautifully despite the challenges we have faced and the ones that lie ahead.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UPDATE: I've Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother / Nigerian Men Married To White Women What's Your Experience? / “My Husband Is Gay, I Still Beg Him For Sex – Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.