Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,083 members, 7,811,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me (67337 Views)

Mistakes Made By First Timers Travelling By Air / Does Travelling Within Nigeria By Air Require Any Document / Describe Your First Trip By Air (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 14, 2014
tolutweety:

As a first timer, i ll advise you get to the airport on time...prolly 1hr before departure time.
After getting your boarding pass... stylishly ask the arik lady what next n where next to go.

When u eventually board the plane, snap jor....dont mind those that say u shldnt. Take one or two before u eventually put off your fone.
Ask anyone around you to help with the seat belt too...

Oga...no crime being a first timer, and no crime in asking .
Safe journey !
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Applaner: 1:24pm On Nov 14, 2014
gone are de days wen traveling whether by air or road was secret .
nowadays, its a show,.

op, wat if mkpo ufok crashes DAT plain, wat will u do.
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 1:24pm On Nov 14, 2014
destante:
hiya dear smiley

I hope you are good? Saw you here and I just couldn't help hollering.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by delman88(m): 1:25pm On Nov 14, 2014
eminentme:
when u get in, don't just say a word and when asked why ur not talking, tell d person, this is ur first time to using a commercial flight. u got a private jet.

guess evertin to u is a joke>>>get serious sumtimes
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by MadCow1: 1:25pm On Nov 14, 2014
contactmorak:
Please don't laugh at me, it's not like I can't afford it but I've just not been inside a plane before. I usually travel to other states in Nigeria by road. So this person has texted me tictet Ref Number for Arik Air to Abuja tomorrow, but I don't know what next to do. The time texted to me is 7:30am.
Pls if you have travelled by air, domestic flight before pls advise me. Didn't want to ask the person, so he doesn't feel embarrased. Pls this is urgent! When I get to the airport in the morning what shud I do? God bless.

[b]Ermmm

1. When you reach the Airport, Go to the sign that says; DEPARTURE not the one that says ARRIVAL..

2. Do not speak to the Touts outside the Airport.. They do not work for the Airline and would only take money from you for something you could have done yourself.

3. Walk straight to any counter that carries the signpost for your Airline.. Arik, Aero, Chachangi. e.t.c.

4. Tell them your flight, destination and flight time and they would sort you out.

5. All 'Big Bags' must be checked in.. And must not exceed 22 kg of weight.

6. Small Bags can be carried to the plane.. However, make sure you dont have any liquid item inside like (Perfumes, toothpaste, water, coke, e.t.c that is bigger than 100ml). If you do, check the bag in..

7. Make sure you have a piece of Identity card with you as it would be used to verify you before boarding..

8. If flying with Arik and you have a checked in Luggage, make sure you identify your luggae at the foot of the Aircraft before boarding if not.. You go arrive your destination without luggage (VERY IMPORTANT). Ask them.

9. Enter the Plane, stow your luggage in the overhead bin.. If no space there, put it under the seat in front of you..

10. Sit at your designated seat, Call ALL your loved ones, Say your Last Prayer, Off your phone, Wear your seat belt and say:: JESUS TAKE THE WHEELS.. grin

Goodluck..

Side note::

- There is a toilet onboard.. You can Shiit and piss inside. grin
- Pressure does tend to build up in your ears during take off and landing.. Buy and lick Tom tom or any Candy during the flight.
- Airplane food is free.. Enjoy it. grin
- Airport officials are all Beggars.. Do NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY.
- Pay attention to the Speakers inside the Airport cos that how you will hear when your flight is announced.
- When you arrive at your destination, stop rushing to get off of the Plane.. Its not BRT Bus. It will not fly you to another airport if you dont hurry and disembark..

[/b]

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by komek(m): 1:25pm On Nov 14, 2014
IYANGBALI:
berem can lie grin

Lol.
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 1:26pm On Nov 14, 2014
Billyonaire:
September ? Month before last. Jesu Christu, I don die.
surprised? It was actually my first visit to Abuja. I have never travelled long distances that's why I have never used a flight. cheesy cheesy
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by destante(f): 1:26pm On Nov 14, 2014
hifaif:

I hope you are good? Saw you here and I just couldn't help hollering.
Really I'm glad smiley
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 1:28pm On Nov 14, 2014
IYANGBALI:
berem can lie grin
As I tell you true,you no like am? tongue
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 14, 2014
Pics of u sitting inside plane or wedonbilivit grin

1 Like

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 14, 2014
destante:
Really I'm glad smiley

Please, do enjoy the day, sweet.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by bulletproofmonk(m): 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2014
Do not forget this very important one - [size=20pt]ARIK DEPARTS FROM THE OLD DOMESTIC WING OF MMA[/size].

*This info would have proven valuable to me years ago smiley

3 Likes

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2014
Nothing BIG, Nothing Special unless you are flying first class. Sp don't get your hopes high
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Elan83(m): 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2014
hifaif:

It is his first time. He wants practical advice not what to go with or the length of the prayer to say. What is with the bible and chaplet BS?
if its me, i wuld tek d advce sha!
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by victorazy(m): 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2014
contactmorak:
What I really want to know is that when I get to the airport tomorrow, what should I do with the ticket REF number the person texted to me

These people here, mejority answering never bded plane b4. If ur with a Ref number it means someone has already paid for u, u don't have much work to do.
When going to the airport 2moro
1. Call the person that sent u the Ref no to find ur flight time.
2. Make sure ur there at least 1hr ealier.
3. Make sure ur with a valid I'd card or ur ATM with ur name.
4. Go to Arik boarding pass area for adentification (u have to give them ur Ref number and optain their own number)
5. Wait and listen for the announcer to call ur airline
6. Move to the security check desk for another pass.
7. Head to the plane with the number on ur ticket.
8. Check ur seat number and balance wela while taking ur selfiies.
Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by holatin(m): 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2014
a drop of gin will help cus u wount want to try petrol .
not kidding
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by thaoriginator: 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2014
olukenzo:
OP, I love planes. I am going to someday, somehow fly one as an hobby of course.

There is nothing special in flying in a plane, IDK. The only somewhat quirky part is the take-off and descent/landing.

This was how I felt when I flew for the first time.

The plane has to taxi a little bit on the taxiway, moving from the terminal to the runway. You know, making all those boring bends and just moving at a slow pace for a while. I am always bored by this part. No excitement whatsoever! Speed was about, say, 20km/h.

Then it gets to the runway, it stops, the engines fire! and it becomes louder. Damn it, I love this part!!! cheesy It begins to move at blinding speed greater than 200Km/h. A force opposite the direction of motion of the plane pushes your head backwards...Ahhh adrenaline!!! cheesy

Just when you are about to cuum, it lifts off on you-- climbing. The tires get off the ground. It is at this stage that some bush people fomit tongue There is this momentary weightlessness, elevation. The tires leave the ground and the plane achieves altitude. There is a point here during ascent when it feels like the plane is falling, it is not, it is simply not climbing as steeply as before and/as there is "cutback" to reduce the thrust used to take-off. This part is a little fun too.

Cruise is boring, except if it is Amelica you are travelling to grin The plane changes altitude from time to time, the pilot as well will at some times tell you the altitude, speed, location and condition of the flight.

Descent and landing is not as exciting as take-off from the point of view of the passenger (I love watching planes land and take-off). The plane loses altitude gradually, gets on the runway with a screeching sound. The speed here too is WOW. You'll almost feel as if the plane is not gonna stop. It does stop, all the times I have flown lipsrsealed grin

Due to the time of your flight, you may have experienced some of these already. I wish you safe flight back.

/*****************Edit*****************/
The OP didnt make the flight. I feel like deleting my comment, mschewww.
story for the birds

1 Like

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by VivaLaFrans: 1:35pm On Nov 14, 2014
contactmorak:
Please don't laugh at me, it's not like I can't afford it but I've just not been inside a plane before. I usually travel to other states in Nigeria by road. So this person has texted me tictet Ref Number for Arik Air to Abuja tomorrow, but I don't know what next to do. The time texted to me is 7:30am.
Pls if you have travelled by air, domestic flight before pls advise me. Didn't want to ask the person, so he doesn't feel embarrased. Pls this is urgent! When I get to the airport in the morning what shud I do? God bless.
Don't panic. The probability of a plane crash is 1/99...
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 14, 2014
berem:
surprised? It was actually my first visit to Abuja. I have never travelled long distances that's why I have never used a flight. cheesy cheesy
Actually I am surprise. I have been flying for a decade and some years but I must admit, with each flight I surrender my thoughts and fears because there is absolutely nothing I can do if there are skirmishes, but I make sure the life vest is under my seat and I must go through the flight safety manual in every flight and look at the exits closest to me. But accidents rarely occur at the altitudes, mostly during take-offs, and landings.
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 14, 2014
If Traveling by air for the first time
1: Do not be nice and look after someone else's luggage while they go to pee - This is a common format to off-load drugs to a fall guy while the mule slips through the distractions when they catch you
2: Do not strike up conversations - read a book (not everyone wants to tell you their life at the airport)
3: Take Selfies and make an imaginary phone call to your girl-friend (speak out loud) that you are at the airport, have they landed in Malibu yet.
4: Hold lots of N50s and N20s and N5s to broker any korrupt immigration guy.. the guy go fear change

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by harmlessphil(f): 1:37pm On Nov 14, 2014
eminentme:
when u get in, don't just say a word and when asked why ur not talking, tell d person, this is ur first time to using a commercial flight. u got a private jet.

Funny you, is tat an advice.
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by NEROSKY(m): 1:40pm On Nov 14, 2014
victorazy:

These people here, mejority answering never bded plane b4.
When going to the airport 2moro
1. Make sure ur there at least 1hr ealier.
2. Make sure ur with a valid I'd card or ur ATM with ur name.
3. Go to Arik body pass area for adentification (u have to give them ur Ref number and optain their own number)
4. Wait and listen for the announcer to call ur airline
5. Move to the security check desk for another pass.
6. Head to the plane with the number on ur ticket.
7. Check ur seat number and balance wela while taking ur selfiies.
Thanks.

Nice!! Hope someone can use his Driving Licence for ID Becos i will be taking my first flight by next weekend by God grace
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by unmask: 1:40pm On Nov 14, 2014
Op when you get to your bus stop shout OWA!!!!!!! Very well so the pilot can hear.... If not he will pass your bus stop

3 Likes

Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by xreal: 1:41pm On Nov 14, 2014
tolutweety:

When you get to the domestic airport , ask of where arik is....then ask where the line to abuja is (u will see pple on different queue). join the one to abuja. when its your turn to be attended to, give the arik lady the ticket REF no with you...and she ll give you a boarding pass.
NOTE : she ll ask you of your ID CARD.

Try get there on time and ask questions from anybody .that will help out a whole lot.

Safe flight .

End of discussion.

Pls, have lots of chewing gum in your pocket and chew althrough in the air.

Have a safe flight.
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by jireh250: 1:42pm On Nov 14, 2014
Were you able to get another flight? Are you in ABJ now? What was your experience like?
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by NEROSKY(m): 1:42pm On Nov 14, 2014
xreal:

End of discussion.

Pls, have lots of chwing gum in your pocket and chew although in the air.

Have a safe flight.

why d chewing gum pls
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by victorazy(m): 1:44pm On Nov 14, 2014
NEROSKY:

Nice!! Hope someone can use his Driving Licence for ID Becos i will be taking my first flight by next weekend by God grace

Ur Driving Licence Identifies u na!
Yes is allowed.
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by nickz(m): 1:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
if you know you gonna throw-up
try not to vomit on the person sitting next to you angry

one biish did that sh1t angry
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 14, 2014
agedmanng:

You gave a concise detail of a flight experience. Thumbs up! But I wish you didn't forget the next to the window experience close to the wing. There's a lot of actions on how the wing parts overlap, interchange and finally come to a state of rest when the plane stabilises.

Ah. You're right. The wings, flaps and the ailerons. If you sit close enough to the windows or on the wings, you'd actually see and hear these parts move as the plane tries to gain altitude or descend or turn etc. And when the brakes are applied, the flaps extend, move up vertically so as act as "spoilers".

They have this prominent moving mechanical part sound, Mostly heard when the plane is increasing altitude... There is also the rudder for horizontal control. Cool stuff.
Re: I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 14, 2014
Pray and enjoy the ride.

Or do what I always do. Make conversation with the person beside you- well say hello and continue if the response is positive or welcoming. smiley

Oh and take pictures smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Appeal Or Reapply For France Schengen Visa / See this Hilarious "Road Bump" Spotted In Nigeria (pics) / Adelabu Street Surulere After A Heavy Rainfall Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.