Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone (6579 Views)

Infinix Hot Note 2 X600 Is A Clone / How To Know If Your Android Phone Is Fake Or Original / Some Places Where Use Of Phone Is Prohibited But People Dont Obey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by einsteino(m): 7:44am On Nov 17, 2014
Clone phones are frauds, they are phones built to look a perfect replica of a luxurious phone with the intent of deceiving the buyer that it is a genuine phone. They bear the same brand name, even atimes have the same finishing and user interface. I know of a friend who went to a reputable store and was sold a clone galaxy s5 for 85k by a salesperson who later turned out to be an impersonator. what is remarkable is that she used the phone for 3 good months before she realized it was a clone. The phone was running on andriod, touchwiz ui and even had air gestures at least till she factory reset it. It is becoming more and more difficult to tell if that flagship phone you want to buy is the real thing. I intend to reveal the ways in which you can find out.

1) Examine the finish and overall look. the finish of an original phone is always superior to that of a clone, also there might be slight differences in the look. one shortcoming of this method is that it requires you to have at least seen a genuine phone so as to be able to tell how the finish is. also another problem is phones like big brother samsung actually have poor finish (esp if you are coming from an iphone), and the [used] phone you want to buy might be an original phone in a fake replacement case.

2) check its features. yes the manufacturers try hard to replicate the genuine phone. but even at that there is still a disparity in the features, e.g a genuine galaxy s5 camera's picture quality vs that of a clone would be like comparing a 2014 tech vs 2004. so examine the phone's features, once again this too has a short fall in the sense that some phones may have high specs but the performance might not live up to expectation. e.g an lg g2's camera beats a galaxy note 3 hands down even though they both are 13mp. inshort if you have never used a note 3 and you compare a pics taken with a g2 to that of a note 3(sm-n900), or you compare the display of a g2 to a note 3, you might find yourself saying the note 3 must be a clone.

3)verify its imei. imei is a unique identification number of a phone, with it you can tell the exact model and brand of a phone that it is attached to. to do this just go to www.imei.info and fill in the imei of your phone. again this is not completely fool proof, imei's can actually be changed(though it is illegal and a bit techy to do so). as a matter of fact i changed my lg g2's imei to that of a blackberry and about changing my note 3's imei (i guess y'all know why *winks).

4) unscrew the phone and examine the motherboard. uhmm this is one sure way of knowing if the phone is a clone or not but abeg how many people get screw driver sef? how many people actually know how an original motherboard looks? and which seller go let you losen e phone?
so that brings us to the easiest option.

5) Apps like Cpu-z, antutu these apps detect the processor and ram on a phone. clone phones simply can not afford to carry the same processor with genuine phones. if you have a samsung galaxy phone and the processor in it is mediatek, please you do not need a sorcerer to tell you that you have been scammed! to know what processor and RAM your phone ought to have, go to gsmarena.com and check its specification then install cpu-z from playstore inorder to find out what processor is actually sitting in the one you have.

with these 5 points i hope i have been able to save alot of people from falling prey. may God continue to do for us all what we can not do for ourselves but this one is something you can do for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by einsteino(m): 7:46am On Nov 17, 2014
another indicator is price but it isn't definitive
Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by Nobody: 7:58am On Nov 17, 2014
thanks for this info, was about to buy a UK used xperia z2 for 27k, was having doubts about the phone if it's a clone or not, will verify properly with this methods, thanks once again!

1 Like

Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by einsteino(m): 10:21am On Nov 17, 2014
uwc
Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by Dopefiend(m): 12:34pm On Nov 17, 2014
unscrew the phone and examine the motherboard. uhmm this is one sure way of knowing if the phone is a clone or not but abeg how many people get screw driver sef? how many people actually know how an original motherboard looks? and which seller go let you losen e phone?
so that brings us to the easiest option

Lol unscrew the phone indeed.
Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 17, 2014
einsteino:
uwc
Baby! cheesy
Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by einsteino(m): 11:01am On Nov 18, 2014
Dopefiend:

Lol unscrew the phone indeed.

grin
Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by einsteino(m): 11:03am On Nov 18, 2014
MarthaK:

Baby! cheesy

Takes a look at his reflection... uhmm i don't know what you see but my reflection says am a grown man
Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by bhaliz44(m): 11:45am On Nov 18, 2014
nice tips brother smiley saw an ad AD on olx that tecno r7 14k...tempting buh with dis tips am sure I can detect if its a fake phone.

1 Like

Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by brainyack(m): 1:11pm On Nov 18, 2014
bhaliz44:
nice tips brother smiley saw an ad AD on olx that tecno r7 14k...tempting buh with dis tips am sure I can detect if its a fake phone.
Tecno no get clone Is the seller a PST. Something or a self acclaimed custom officer?
Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by Nobody: 12:48am On Nov 19, 2014
[quote author=einsteino post=28084212][/quote] have you sold ur g2?

1 Like

Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by einsteino(m): 6:18am On Nov 19, 2014
benromeo39:
have you sold ur g2?

No i have not
Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 19, 2014
einsteino:

No i have not
still on sale? If yes, contact me on whatsapp: 07050884385.

1 Like

Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by einsteino(m): 1:56pm On Nov 19, 2014
bhaliz44:

who would want to clone techno? it would be hard to break even. btw be careful on olx, there are not a few scammers there(them no go even dey merciful enuf to give u clone)

1 Like

Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by moneymaker24(m): 4:04pm On Nov 19, 2014
Just like I fell for a cloned samsung galaxy s4 and gave away my original note.

A detailed similar post was stated here: http://www.techsng.com/2014/10/samsung-galaxy-s4-clone-fake-vs-original-review-how-to-spot-the-difference.html

P.S: The seller was from OLX. Hence, Fear OLX deals! Sometimes I wonder what those approving OLX ads drinks.
Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by bhaliz44(m): 4:08pm On Nov 19, 2014
einsteino:

who would want to clone techno? it would be hard to break even. btw be careful on olx, there are not a few scammers there(them no go even dey merciful enuf to give u clone)
check olx you go see as 14k r7 plenty there
Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by einsteino(m): 10:43am On Nov 20, 2014
benromeo39:
still on sale? If yes, contact me on whatsapp: 07050884385.

i called your line, its switched off.
Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 20, 2014
einsteino:

i called your line, its switched off.
don't u use whatsapp?

1 Like

Re: How To Detect If A Phone Is A Clone by einsteino(m): 1:12pm On Nov 20, 2014
benromeo39:

don't u use whatsapp?

well just last sunday i decided to black out from whatsapp and bbm. i noticed of late they have been a kind of distraction, nothing productive happens there, they are only cool for peeps who have the luxury of being bored.

(1) (Reply)

Slot's Website / Airtel Lunches 2GB Data Fro Just #200 Only / Jumia Black Friday Phone Prices In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.