Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. (3731 Views)

Baby Drinks Beer But Refuses Milk (Video) / My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / Reasons Why Most Marriages Fail In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by OBUKOMENA: 5:28pm On Nov 20, 2014
Dear Nairalanders,I am here unbehalf of my brother's wife to seek advice and solution on what she and her baby (my niece) her passing through.
Ever since she gave birth few weeks ago,her bossoms have produced little or no milk for her baby's consumption.It is really affecting the baby and now,she's looking malnourished...Please,what can she do about it?I know I can get the needed advice here..Thanks in advance!
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 20, 2014
Don't you lot have obstetricians and gynecologists where you live?

Asking folks on here is like having tooth ache and asking plumbers for prescription lol.

If ti.ts that are meant to be lactating aren't, just hit the hospital ASAP.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 20, 2014
OBUKOMENA:
Dear Nairalanders,I am here unbehalf of my brother's wife to seek advice and solution on what she and her baby (my niece) her passing through.
Ever since she gave birth few weeks ago,her bossoms have produced little or no milk for her baby's consumption.It is really affecting the baby and now,she's looking malnourished...Please,what can she do about it?I know I can get the needed advice here..Thanks in advance!

You need to go back to your midwife or health professional
Milk prduction is in response to how much the baby sucks, so if the baby isnt sucking, milk production will be low
Things you need to get your midwife/health professional to look at is if the baby is latching on properly and if the baby is actually sucking
Also is the mum eating and drinking well?

What is the baby eating? formula milk from a bottle? Sometimes formula fed babies reject the breastt beacasue its easler for then to suck from a teat

Also check that the mum isnt wearing too heavy sceneted perfumes etc. Baby needs to identify mums natural scent.

These are just pointers, but Please first things first go and get both mum and baby checked out

Congrats.

1 Like

Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by OBUKOMENA: 7:56pm On Nov 20, 2014
shymexx:

Asking folks on here is like having tooth ache and asking plumbers for prescription lol.

The mother went to the hospital on Monday and was told there was nothing they could do 'bout it.Besides,I believe we got doctors on here,reason I opened the thread.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by OBUKOMENA: 8:00pm On Nov 20, 2014
chaircover:

You need to go back to your midwife or health professional
Milk prduction is in response to how much the baby sucks, so if the baby isnt sucking, milk production will be low
Things you need to get your midwife/health professional to look at is if the baby is latching on properly and if the baby is actually sucking
Also is the mum eating and drinking well?

What is the baby eating? formula milk from a bottle? Sometimes formula fed babies reject the breastt beacasue its easler for then to suck from a teat

Also check that the mum isnt wearing too heavy sceneted perfumes etc. Baby needs to identify mums natural scent.

These are just pointers, but Please first things first go and get both mum and baby checked out

Congrats.
The issue here is that the baby has not seen enough milk to suck from the mother's bossoms...Just few days back,a formula was given to her for the first time...You needed to see how she consumed the the food in split seconds.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 20, 2014
OBUKOMENA:
The mother went to the hospital on Monday and was told there was nothing they could do 'bout it.Besides,I believe we got doctors on here,reason I opened the thread.

I'm guessing you live in naij then...very effed up country.

Anyway, you can register on the NHS community here: https://healthunlocked.com/nhshealthcheck and create a thread about it. Just make sure you act like you live somewhere in the UK, and you'll get medical advice from professionals on what to do. Also, make sure you post in first person, as the person with the problem, and not allude to ya brother's wife or whoever the person is.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by bennyrazz: 10:12pm On Nov 20, 2014
@op, how would baby get milk to suck when father sucks the available milk from mother's bosom overnight grin the baby's father/your brother should be held accountable for the malnourished baby because I'm very optimistic that your brother's wife bosom is producing milk.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by babygirlfl: 11:28pm On Nov 20, 2014
shymexx:

lol Is shymexx the same person as Sirshymexx,

You never know dear. Some of us might just be health professionals and mothers. We might know just too well what to advice.

@op Chaircover's post is spot on . I will try to explain a little bit more on why milk production is in response to how much the baby sucks

Prolactin is the hormone that helps the production of milk. When a child sucks the mother's nipple, milk is released from the mammary glands. This milk needs to be replenished for the baby to suckle again. The process of replenishing the milk starts by the suckling reflex of the child which tells the brain to release more prolactin in order to produce more milk. The more the child suckles, the more prolactin releases and the more milk produced and the circle continues.

There are also other reasons why milk production is low but I would not want to get into it because the baby not sucking fine is the most common reason of no/low milk production. I hope this helps.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Nobody: 11:33pm On Nov 20, 2014
babygirlfl:

lol Is shymexx the same person as Sirshymexx,

You never know dear. Some of us might just be health professional and mothers. We might know just too well what to advice.

@op Chaircover's post is spot on . I will try to explain a little bit more on why milk production is in response to how much the baby sucks

Prolactin is the hormone that helps the production of milk. When a child sucks the mother's nipple, milk is released from the mammary glands. This milk needs to be replenished for the baby to suckle again. The process of replenishing the milk starts by the suckling reflex of the child which tells the brain to release more prolactin in order to produce more milk. The more the child suckles, the more prolactin releases and the more milk produced and the circle continues.

There are also other reasons why milk production is low but I would not want to get into it because the baby not sucking fine is the most common reason of no/low milk production. I hope this helps.

Yes, the same ninja, luv. grin
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by babygirlfl: 11:40pm On Nov 20, 2014
shymexx:

Yes, the same ninja, luv. grin

ok so one is a knight while one is not.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by AlienSPY: 11:54pm On Nov 20, 2014
The wife should consume enough palm wine while the husband suckle on the boobs for a week.

This therapy will make the lady hormones relaxed thereby enabling the mammary gland to fire up production.

3 Likes

Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Nobody: 12:38am On Nov 21, 2014
babygirlfl:

ok so one is a knight while one is not.

Yes. wink

The knighted handle is on hiatus for a few days. grin
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 21, 2014
OBUKOMENA:

That doesnt sound right
They wouldnt just send a baby home to starve to death
Are you sure that that was all they told you?
Please go back to the hospital or go to another better hospital that is experienced in obs.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Hazardd(m): 11:21am On Nov 21, 2014
E be like say your brother don finish his wife milk before she gives birth grin
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 21, 2014
babygirlfl:

Er, what do you think of this bizarre new craze in America about adults drinking breast milk? I think they put the milk in a bottled container, and take it everywhere with them.

I just saw an interview on New York hot 97 radio station, and the guy on there, Ebro, talked about it. Heck, he brought out his own bottled breast milk, and took a little dose of it. grin Cray!
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by SAMBARRY: 1:14pm On Nov 21, 2014
shymexx:

exactly what I was about saying
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by babygirlfl: 6:07pm On Nov 21, 2014
shymexx:

Er, what do you think of this bizarre new craze in America about adults drinking breast milk? I think they put the milk in a bottled container, and take it everywhere with them.

I just saw an interview on New York hot 97 radio station, and the guy on there, Ebro, talked about it. Heck, he brought out his own bottled breast milk, and took a little dose of it. grin Cray!

That is both funny and disgusting but as they say, anything can happen in America.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by dBard: 8:41pm On Nov 21, 2014
chaircover:

That doesnt sound right
Please go back to the hospital or go to another better hospital that is experienced in obs.

Happens at times.

The mother needs to check d babies position while suckling t ensure the baby is properly latched t d nipple n areola.

She can also try yeast. Add a coupla spoonfuls t her meal..it facilitates d milk letdown process.
Hope it helps
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 21, 2014
babygirlfl:

That is both funny and disgusting but as they say, anything can happen in America.

Lol, I know. Especially the diseases that can be contracted from it - yuck.

But apparently, it helps with body building and brain development. And the bottled ones are now sold in shops. grin
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by babygirlfl: 11:34am On Nov 22, 2014
shymexx:

Lol, I know. Especially the diseases that can be contracted from it - yuck.

But apparently, it helps with body building and brain development. And the bottled ones are now sold in shops. grin

Lol. Honestly, I have never heard of adults drinking breast milk until you mentioned it. I think the body building and brain development benefit might just be the same benefit they would get from most normal milk.

It would be interesting to see an adult asking for breast milk in a shop.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 22, 2014
babygirlfl:

Lol. Honestly, I have never heard of adults drinking breast milk until you mentioned it. I think the body building and brain development benefit might just be the same benefit they would get from most normal milk.

It would be interesting to see an adult asking for breast milk in a shop.

Lol. grin
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by upmanagers: 9:53pm On Nov 22, 2014
OBUKOMENA:

I ve seen two women that had dsame issue.
Wasn't cos they did position well wen feeding baby or didn't take necessary measure. Both had the same problem
1. They delivered over 10days after EDD (may not have been the problem
2. They were both over stressed by work before baby was born. This particularly reduced the fluid in their body (very few women experience this after effect)
And so with the husbands sucking, all the water, plenty pap (ogi) and palmwine drinking, plus all other tins different pple would suggest their was no way out.

If she has been to the hospital and still nothin they baby needs to feed
Solution:
1. Start giving baby baby formular bt mix very light and use spoon instead of bottle.
2. Get a good multi vitamin for baby e.g haliborange or any other one you are sure is good.

Goodluck
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Genius100: 4:57am On Nov 23, 2014
I don't understand what the big deal is. If she can't produce milk, then give the baby formula. If she starts producing milk later, then she can switch back to milk or combine milk and formula.

There are thousands of women that choose not to breastfeed. Although not ideal, the babies are perfectly normal with formula.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by OBUKOMENA: 4:15am On Nov 24, 2014
chaircover:

That doesnt sound right
Thanks for your contribution!
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by OBUKOMENA: 4:16am On Nov 24, 2014
upmanagers:

I ve seen two women that had dsame issue.
Wasn't cos they did position well wen feeding baby or didn't take necessary measure. Both had the same problem
1. They delivered over 10days after EDD (may not have been the problem
2. They were both over stressed by work before baby was born. This particularly reduced the fluid in their body (very few women experience this after effect)
And so with the husbands sucking, all the water, plenty pap (ogi) and palmwine drinking, plus all other tins different pple would suggest their was no way out.

If she has been to the hospital and still nothin they baby needs to feed
Solution:
1. Start giving baby baby formular bt mix very light and use spoon instead of bottle.
2. Get a good multi vitamin for baby e.g haliborange or any other one you are sure is good.

Goodluck
I'm so grateful for your contributions,bro!
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by OBUKOMENA: 4:20am On Nov 24, 2014
Genius100:
I don't understand what the big deal is. If she can't produce milk, then give the baby formula. If she starts producing milk later, then she can switch back to milk or combine milk and formula.

There are thousands of women that choose not to breastfeed. Although not ideal, the babies are perfectly normal with formula.
We felt it was not right to give a baby who is barely a month old formula...Anyways,I appreciate your contributions.
Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by Truckpusher(m): 4:20am On Nov 24, 2014
When the Bosom fails to produce milk it becomes a big problem and this is one reason why we have too many children on NL behaving like cows grin
They had too much artificial milk from cows. angry

1 Like

Re: When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. by thorpido(m): 8:08am On Nov 24, 2014
OBUKOMENA:
If people don't go to the right places,they can't get the right results.There are different types of health institutions;PHC,private clinics,teaching hospitals,e.t.cWhere did your SIL go?
No experienced Gynae or midwife will tell your sister to just go home that there is nothing they can do about it,that will be a big lie.Your report is an indirect report so it was obviously misinterpreted.Don't give people like shymexx the impression that nothing works in Nigeria.

Babygirlfl just gave a good explanation of what is going on.The biggest reason is that the child's mouth is not on the tea.t enough.Let the child keep sucking even if nothing is coming out.
Meanwhile,the child can take formula.

(1) (Reply)

21 Ways That Will Make Your Husband/keep Loving You More And More / Please Men I Need Your Help? / Why Do Our Ladies Reject Virgin Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.