Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical (11902 Views)

My Marriage Is Crashing, I Think I Hate Him...Help / Nagging Wife Vs Cheating Wife: which Do You Think Is Worse? / My 2 Months Old Marriage Is Crashing - HELP ME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by engrtee(f): 1:55pm On Nov 21, 2014
"I _____, take you ______, to be my wedded wife. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish ’till death do us part. And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness". (I can't see the verse in the Bible)

If couples take a wedding vow that is not in the Bible, is the vow to God or to man? This made me to sit and wonder: what kind of vow Abraham and Sarah took and they stayed together for 90-solid years, even though childless? What kind of vow did Mary the mother of Jesus and Joseph her husband sign that they stayed together, even though Jesus was conceived by the Holy spirit? Were there any happily married people in the Bible that we can make references to? did they take any vows that we need to read and learn from? For better or for worse, our parents and grandparents, some of whom came from polygamous homes seem to still have it better than what we have nowadays. They didn’t take any vows, did they?
For better or for worse is not in the Bible, where did Christendom get it from? Are there not other things Christians grow up with, beliefs they have, orientations they have which are not in the Bible

the recommendationsmost Christians make for marriage are good. The failure of Christian marriage, however, is that those same people would tell you “for better or worse” means you have to put up with abuse, sexual neglect and addiction. My criticism of this concept has been the same for years: it works great as long as everyone obeys the rules; when they don’t, you’re stuck with no recourse for a spouse’s bad behavior. All the good ideas in the world mean nothing if your misbehaving spouse knows you will never leave. Such a marriage philosophy just creates a breeding ground for neglect and abuse.
I strongly believe that marriages should be for BETTER
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 2:04pm On Nov 21, 2014
Italian culture,imposed on them
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 21, 2014
hmmm....
for better for worse
I go dey there
for rich and poor
I go dy there
in sickness in health
till the day of your death! >:
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by thorpido(m): 2:19pm On Nov 21, 2014
You're right those words are not in the bible.However,not everything we say as Christians is necessarily in the bible.God already gave us a guide(the Bible) and His Spirit.

In Matthew 19 from vs 3,the Pharisees came to ask Jesus about divorce and Jesus replied in vs 4.He said,
'...And said unto them,Have ye not read,that He which made them at the beginning made them male and female,and said,for this cause shall a man leave father and mother,and shall cleave to his wife:and they twain shall be one flesh?Wherefore they are no more twain,but one flesh.

The words of Jesus here simply means they stick together forever in all situations(for better for worse as some say).

In vs8,He responded to further questioning by saying,'Moses because of the HARDNESS OF YOUR HEARTS suffered you to put away your wives(or your husbands):but FROM THE BEGINNING it was not so.
You can see the divorce stems from a hardness of the heart.Abuse,sexual neglect and addiction all come about as a result of the hardness of the heart.Christian teachings do not encourage anyone to continue in such a relationship.The Word of God is that love should grow in the hearts of a couple and naturally,they wouldn't have a reason to even want to separate.Where that cannot be achieved,separation is inevitable.

.....by the way some churches have modified those words and some simply say.......' for better,for richer and in health'.

5 Likes

Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by iykedare(m): 2:44pm On Nov 21, 2014
some people with their wack thinking
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by bukatyne(f): 3:26pm On Nov 21, 2014
thorpido:
You're right those words are not in the bible.However,not everything we say as Christians is necessarily in the bible.God already gave us a guide(the Bible) and His Spirit.

In Matthew 19 from vs 3,the Pharisees came to ask Jesus about divorce and Jesus replied in vs 4.He said,
'...And said unto them,Have ye not read,that He which made them at the beginning made them male and female,and said,for this cause shall a man leave father and mother,and shall cleave to his wife:and they twain shall be one flesh?Wherefore they are no more twain,but one flesh.

The words of Jesus here simply means they stick together forever in all situations(for better for worse as some say).

In vs8,He responded to further questioning by saying,'Moses because of the HARDNESS OF YOUR HEARTS suffered you to put away your wives(or your husbands):but FROM THE BEGINNING it was not so.
You can see the divorce stems from a hardness of the heart.Abuse,sexual neglect and addiction all come about as a result of the hardness of the heart.Christian teachings do not encourage anyone to continue in such a relationship.The Word of God is that love should grow in the hearts of a couple and naturally,they wouldn't have a reason to even want to separate.Where that cannot be achieved,separation is inevitable.

.....by the way some churches have modified those words and some simply say.......' for better,for richer and in health'.

I agree with you

Paul said if an unbelieving partner wants to leave, he/she is free to do so.

I strongly do not believe a cheat, abusive partner etc. is a believer
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 21, 2014
bukatyne:

I agree with you

True.
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by thorpido(m): 4:39pm On Nov 21, 2014
bukatyne:

I agree with you

No you can't be a believer and continue to live a life doing things that destroy marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by bukatyne(f): 5:12pm On Nov 21, 2014
thorpido:
No you can't be a believer and continue to live a life doing things that destroy marriage.

That is the serious problem I have with people who want to use the Bible to justify themselves and yet are not ready to live by the dictates of the same Bibke

We cannot ear our cake and have it wink

We should choose the side we are on and stick firmly to it cheesy

1 Like

Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by tbaba1234: 8:00pm On Nov 21, 2014
thorpido:

What if both parties are just not compatible or fall out of love... Maybe they start to grow apart or they have different incompatible dreams and no one is willing to give theirs up.

What if none of them is deliberately doing anything to hurt the marriage but it still suffers. What if multiple counselling fails to change the situation, what if they are both unhappy making them irritable.
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Mutaino7(m): 8:07pm On Nov 21, 2014
@op abraham and sarah aint christians when they married. Infact they were idol worshippers until God specifically called out abram and note all this happened b4 d levitical law i.e law gvn 2 moses to serve as moral guidelines.

1 Like

Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Missmossy(f): 8:49pm On Nov 21, 2014
That it's not in the Bible doesn't mean it has no Biblical roots or origin undecided

1 Like

Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 21, 2014
Missmossy:
That it's not in the Bible doesn't mean it has no Biblical roots or origin undecided

Please do show. Show where it states so and not twist it in your own words.
Till death do us part also has no Biblical reference but as usual we swallow things hook, line and sinker no questions asked.
Anyone who dares asks questions is attacked while the answer is never provided.

1 Like

Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Kanwulia: 9:49pm On Nov 21, 2014
Any marriage ceremony for h-insai bible? grin

All we read is that:

He "took her" and "he lay with her" and "he knew her"! grin

Local tins! embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by thorpido(m): 10:01pm On Nov 21, 2014
tbaba1234:

What if both parties are just not compatible or fall out of love... Maybe they start to grow apart or they have different incompatible dreams and no one is willing to give theirs up.

What if none of them is deliberately doing anything to hurt the marriage but it still suffers. What if multiple counselling fails to change the situation, what if they are both unhappy making them irritable.

Usually,the period of courtship helps to determine compatibility.However,it is possible for couples to grow apart after marriage.The only reason will be because they stopped doing things that stoke the flame of love or started doing things that douse the flame.Sometimes people may not deliberately do things to hurt the marriage but passivity in marriage can also kill the marriage like when coals of fire are left unattended to,they burn out.
At that point one person should point this out to the other and they should both discuss it and make efforts to work on it.They may need to seek counselling too.
It will take an unwillingness on the part of couples(or one of the parties) to change for the marriage to break down irrevocably.At this point,the marriage is better dissolved.
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Amhappy(f): 12:03am On Nov 22, 2014
Wedding in the bible was never held in the church but in the couples home. It was never officiated by a pastor,priest or judge. Fathers were actually the centre so its was trad marriage. No certificates were issued then. All these things were introduced at a point in the christian faith because it was necessary and for legality sake. God hates divorce so in ideal condition those vows are right for a christian marriage. If one profess for better,in health,for richer is he saying that he/she will leave the spouse if sickness comes. If divorce becomes necessary,proper procedure must be followed. However except in rare cases church does not grant divorce. If you marry a divorcee,thats adultery. Most divorces follow secular proceeding.

1 Like

Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Kimoni: 12:38am On Nov 22, 2014
bukatyne:

I agree with you

And what if the believing partner wants to leave? Is he or she also free to do so? #just asking
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Missmossy(f): 7:58am On Nov 22, 2014
aisha2:

Please do show. Show where it states so and not twist it in your own words.
Till death do us part also has no Biblical reference but as usual we swallow things hook, line and sinker no questions asked.
Anyone who dares asks questions is attacked while the answer is never provided.
Excuse me? it's really no news that as usual some people just type without reading because I wonder where I mentioned in my post about anything relating to Biblical reference undecided Chai!
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by thorpido(m): 11:44am On Nov 22, 2014
Amhappy:
Wedding in the bible was never held in the church but in the couples home. It was never officiated by a pastor,priest or judge. Fathers were actually the centre so its was trad marriage. No certificates were issued then. All these things were introduced at a point in the christian faith because it was necessary and for legality sake. God hates divorce so in ideal condition those vows are right for a christian marriage. If one profess for better,in health,for richer is he saying that he/she will leave the spouse if sickness comes. If divorce becomes necessary,proper procedure must be followed. However except in rare cases church does not grant divorce. If you marry a divorcee,thats adultery. Most divorces follow secular proceeding.
In those days there were no churches.Fellowships(churches-it's not about the building but the gathering) were held in homes.They usually had a religious leader(can be called a pastor) who presided over the ceremony.
The issuance of certificates were actually secular practices but the church is part of the society and the society part of the church and since it is not contrary to church doctrines,it was adopted.It is good for legality sake.

Saying for better,in health and for richer does not mean abandoning the spouse when sickness comes or there is a setback in finances.Those words are actually confessions of faith.The bible let's us know we are children of faith.
Like you wrote,divorce proceedings are actually secular proceedings.
The love of God working in a couple will NEVER lead them to divorce and that is why it was never a church procedure.
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Amhappy(f): 12:31pm On Nov 22, 2014
thorpido:
In those days there were no churches.Fellowships(churches-it's not about the building but the gathering) were held in homes.They usually had a religious leader(can be called a pastor) who presided over the ceremony.
The issuance of certificates were actually secular practices but the church is part of the society and the society part of the church and since it is not contrary to church doctrines,it was adopted.It is good for legality sake.

Saying for better,in health and for richer does not mean abandoning the spouse when sickness comes or there is a setback in finances.Those words are actually confessions of faith.The bible let's us know we are children of faith.
Like you wrote,divorce proceedings are actually secular proceedings.
The love of God working in a couple will NEVER lead them to divorce and that is why it was never a church procedure.

Well on the 'for better,in health etc' there is actually nothing wrong with it,it is a declaration of faith as you said. However there is nothing wrong with 'for better for worse'. The traditional vow is a clear statement that no matter the condition we will be together. But Op made it look that this traditional vow is what stops people undergoing abuse from seeking divorce. Divorce is never part of Christian marriage even if your vow only says 'I love you'. However if divorce becomes necessary,then there is the societal way. Putting laxity on the marriage law will destroy the santity of christian marriage. Developed countries are typical examples.

1 Like

Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Amhappy(f): 12:54pm On Nov 22, 2014
@thorpido there were also little account of wedding ceremonies in the bible and most of them religious head were not mentioned. Leah and Rachel was giiven in marriage by Laban(their father),Mary was betrothed to Joseph,even the wedding @Cana was purely a feast. Religious ceremony were introduced by early Christians and was not recorded in the bible.
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by thorpido(m): 3:01pm On Nov 22, 2014
Amhappy:
@thorpido there were also little account of wedding ceremonies in the bible and most of them religious head were not mentioned. Leah and Rachel was giiven in marriage by Laban(their father),Mary was betrothed to Joseph,even the wedding @Cana was purely a feast. Religious ceremony were introduced by early Christians and was not recorded in the bible.
You know in the examples you quoted,we don't have the full story.Like you said,we only have 'little accounts'.We only have the parts that probably were important at that time.The bible could say Laban gave Rachel out as wife just as it may be stated that your dad gave you out to your husband.It wouldn't mean that there was no priest present.
The most important thing in all these is that marriage was meant to bring two together to become one.However,if such marriage does not work,there are legal procedures to dissolve it.
Amhappy:

Well on the 'for better,in health etc' there is actually nothing wrong with it,it is a declaration of faith as you said. However there is nothing wrong with 'for better for worse'. The traditional vow is a clear statement that no matter the condition we will be together. But Op made it look that this traditional vow is what stops people undergoing abuse from seeking divorce. Divorce is never part of Christian marriage even if your vow only says 'I love you'. However if divorce becomes necessary,then there is the societal way. Putting laxity on the marriage law will destroy the santity of christian marriage. Developed countries are typical examples.
That was what the Op implied,that for better for worse was what kept people in abusive marriages.Christian couples living in the love and doctrines of Christian living will not have reasons for divorce.If divorce becomes necessary,there is a societal way as you said.

1 Like

Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by keypad1: 4:06pm On Nov 22, 2014
engrtee:
"I _____, take you ______, to be my wedded wife. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish ’till death do us part. And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness". (I can't see the verse in the Bible)

If couples take a wedding vow that is not in the Bible, is the vow to God or to man? This made me to sit and wonder: what kind of vow Abraham and Sarah took and they stayed together for 90-solid years, even though childless? What kind of vow did Mary the mother of Jesus and Joseph her husband sign that they stayed together, even though Jesus was conceived by the Holy spirit? Were there any happily married people in the Bible that we can make references to? did they take any vows that we need to read and learn from? For better or for worse, our parents and grandparents, some of whom came from polygamous homes seem to still have it better than what we have nowadays. They didn’t take any vows, did they?
For better or for worse is not in the Bible, where did Christendom get it from? Are there not other things Christians grow up with, beliefs they have, orientations they have which are not in the Bible

the recommendationsmost Christians make for marriage are good. The failure of Christian marriage, however, is that those same people would tell you “for better or worse” means you have to put up with abuse, sexual neglect and addiction. My criticism of this concept has been the same for years: it works great as long as everyone obeys the rules; when they don’t, you’re stuck with no recourse for a spouse’s bad behavior. All the good ideas in the world mean nothing if your misbehaving spouse knows you will never leave. Such a marriage philosophy just creates a breeding ground for neglect and abuse.
we shoukd also forget white wedding to balance everything.

Traditional marriage only is key.
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by keypad1: 4:06pm On Nov 22, 2014
engrtee:

we shoukd also forget white wedding to balance everything.

Traditional marriage only is key...
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Nobody: 3:42am On Nov 23, 2014
Kanwulia:
Any marriage ceremony for h-insai bible? grin

All we read is that:

He "took her" and "he lay with her" and "he knew her"! grin

Local tins! embarassed

Hahahahahaha!

This is the funniest shit I have read all week! grin
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 23, 2014
Honestly, I'm kind of torn on the whole thing. Mainly because I come from a different background where we were forced to do things "Massas" way. So, I have never been fond of Christian ceremonies, if people believe that it's a must. If you feel in your heart that is how you want to be married and your betrothed does too,then by all means. IMO marriage, and at least historically in Jamaica and India (where my background is from) marriages were aa family affair. Especially in Jamaica,it is the parents and God parents who make sure to guide the ceremony to traditional needs. In fact, because family is so closely involved, the chances of divorcing us minimised because we all have a stake in the success of the marriage. We all swore together to make sure they succeed, grow and develop. We are all responsible for making sure that in times of financial duress, sickness and sorrow, the couple feels the uplifting of the family. How can one really expect to handle this on their own.
Even in Christianity, the concept of being a body is central to the faith. As Christ is to be the head, if one of the body parts suffer,they all do. At the same time, if one hand sins,it's better to cut it off. So, IMO divorce isn't encouraged, but if sin enters it's better to cut off the sinful part lest the whole sins.

1 Like

Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by bukatyne(f): 4:13pm On Nov 24, 2014
Kimoni:

And what if the believing partner wants to leave? Is he or she also free to do so? #just asking

Why would a believing partner want to leave?
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Kimoni: 4:31pm On Nov 24, 2014
bukatyne:

same reasons why the unbelieving partner is told he/she is free to leave.
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Mystiqme: 7:02pm On Nov 24, 2014
bukatyne:

If they are being cheated/abused by their unbelieving partner?
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by bukatyne(f): 8:50am On Nov 25, 2014
Mystiqme:

If they are being cheated/abused by their unbelieving partner?

He/she is free to do so
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by bukatyne(f): 8:52am On Nov 25, 2014
Kimoni:

same reasons why the unbelieving partner is told he/she is free to leave.

An unbelieving partner is free to leave if he/she wants to (reason or not)

A believing partner is free to leave in cases of adultery/abuse.
Re: Christian Marriage Is Not For Better For Worse......not Biblical by Gomesh2783: 2:00am On Apr 19, 2020
For better for worse is Christian!
When one gets into marriage one needs to know that it will not just be a bed of roses. Some days, some months and/or some years will be better, when things goes well, but there will be those periods of need, lack, periods of want where one will feel like 'I think I made a mistake by marrying' these are the worst periods in one's life and he/she is not supposed to quit or even think of that when things goes wrong. The vows mentioned that I will have and I will hold onto what I have from this day (wedding day) forward and I will hold on in better days and even in the worse of the worst days, I will love and cherish him/her even when he/she lost an eye, a leg, burnt his/her face and is completely defaced.
For better, worse he/she will be mine. I will not think of divorce because ( Matt 19:8 ) of the hardness of your hearts Moses permitted you to divorce your wives, which was not so from the beginning.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Wife Beats Me Up, Husband Tells Court / Where To Buy Baby Cot Lagos / Husband Not Maid! - By Dipor Exzie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.