Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,347 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) (19328 Views)

Wole Soyinka And Wife At Amaechi's Book Launch (photos) / Nairaland Poetry Club Chatroom. / 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 23, 2014
Wow! This is too good, almost un-nigerian. Nice to be amidst word creators.

Owk, I like to think myself as a poet. I have written a couple of poems in the past (both in English and French languages). I even went ahead to submit them to some foreign websites but non ever got published. I'm not really sad about it. Neither am I discouraged. It was probably cause my poems were anti-occidental, lol.

So, do I have a place here? I mean, as a self acclaimed poet, hehe...
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by efficiencie(m): 8:16pm On Nov 23, 2014
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by timpaker(m): 8:22pm On Nov 23, 2014
GozieDiora:
Wow! This is too good, almost un-nigerian. Nice to be amidst word creators.

Owk, I like to think myself as a poet. I have written a couple of poems in the past (both in English and French languages). I even went ahead to submit them to some foreign websites but non ever got published. I'm not really sad about it. Neither am I discouraged. It was probably cause my poems were anti-occidental, lol.

So, do I have a place here? I mean, as a self acclaimed poet, hehe...
Yes you have a place here. Just visit poem your poems at the Section and get a critic by poets
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by kr0ne(m): 8:22pm On Nov 23, 2014
This is a strange tradition! I'm so lost here I got me jaws on the floor. I don't know jack what all this ritual means but I still must confess.....it's awesome!!!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by yuzjet(m): 8:26pm On Nov 23, 2014
laykorn:
Yuzjet. The club will forever be grateful to you.
Ayamlaykorn

Am for the club. Am still owing the whole house for missing the launching.

It was my bad!

embarassed
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by OMA4U(m): 8:33pm On Nov 23, 2014
timpaker:
Dead, really? When is the burial? cheesy

Don't mind my wrong expression.

Big brother, you were here!
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by timpaker(m): 8:45pm On Nov 23, 2014
OMA4U:

Don't mind my wrong expression.

Big brother, you were here!
No mind me ooooo. I was joking. Each time someone says that, I am always tempted to ask that question. We finally made FP grin
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Gladyys(f): 8:47pm On Nov 23, 2014
timpaker:
Yes you have a place here. Just visit poem your poems at the Section and get a critic by poets
Link please
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by destante(f): 8:51pm On Nov 23, 2014
timpaker:
Why not we give it a try and see. You can visit the Poems for Review Section, post your poem and get it analysed by poets.
Thanks Mister. I am in then.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by timpaker(m): 8:53pm On Nov 23, 2014
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by princesa(f): 8:56pm On Nov 23, 2014
Its official! I am glad cheesy

*welcomes the newest poets in the house*

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by anonimi: 9:04pm On Nov 23, 2014
Nice initiative.
Hope the poets in the house will keep it up, alive & active!
And we wey sabi appreciate poets go tanda one side dey jolly the rhythmic offerings cheesy
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by uchevin(m): 9:07pm On Nov 23, 2014
lipsrsealed
OMA4U:
First of all, let us praise Almighty God for his grace and mercies to be alive today.

I am very pleased and excited to welcome everyone to the launching of Nairaland Poetry Club. On behalf of all NPC members, I extend my greeting and recognition to Seun Osewa, the Founder and CEO of Nairaland. God bless you, Creator. To our dear Mods and our VIP and all other invitees, I thank you for honouring our invitations. I also appreciate the viewers, guests, and ghost readers. Thank you all.

I will like to distinctively show deep acknowledgements to the our VIP guests on the high table:

* LARRYSUN: He's a Master of Literature, Commander of the Literary Force, The Grammarian, and prominent prose writer with significant, glamourous, mind blowing prose works. He is the well-known author of the Trilogy: The Brand of Cain, The Paradox of Abel, and The Taint of Judas (Coming soon) and Black Maria: A Tales of Two Thieves. I thank you so much, Sir.

*NOBLE4D: He's a great poet and teacher, who has impacted his students with great literary style and forms. He's always there to help us write better poetry. He's one of the judges of the just concluded Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition. Recently, Sir Noble has been appointed with another brilliant poet, Timpaker, as the patrons of NPC. Thank you for your advice to make this event a success.

*TIMPAKER: He's a veteran soldier of words, whose words are mighty enough to pull down Jericho and as well effective to build Rome. He's one of the just concluded Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition. He was also the winner of last year Poetry Competition (Organised by Cuddlemii) with his awesome poem, Seductress is Hapless. Thank you, my dear brother. *winks*

*TEXANOMALY: She's a wonderful poet and critic. She was the first to lecture us during the past Nairaland Writing Workshop organised by Divepen. Also, she's a member of the Editorial Board of Storried.com

*PRINCESA: This is also a talented prose writer as well as a poet. She has dazzled the literature section with beautiful literary works. She's the author of Taking Chances and her awesome poems radiate the poetry section. Visit the thread One Poem For The Road to read Princesa.

FIRESTAR: She's a veteran poet with distinct artistic style of constructing poem. Like Princesa, she has dazzled the literature section with beautiful literary works.

ROYVER: This is another Soldier of Words, who has blessed the literature section with awed stories like his popular I See Things Others Do Not See. This Doctor was the Winner of Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition along side with KRYSTALXXX.

KELVINGRAPHICS: I appreciate and recognise KELVINGRAPHICS, the designer of the advertising poster.

Please, pardon me to brief others.
COOGAR, JENNINMA, KRYSTALXXX, , SAMMYHOE, THEROCK555, MIZMYCOLI, ISHILOVE, AND IBIME. You are all welcome to the high table. Thank you once again.

NAIRALAND POETRY CLUB
VISION: To attain mastery and skills in the art of constructing beautiful poems.

MISION: Through rigorous teaching and learning from the Masters' works, NPC aims to reach out to Africa and the world at large through eloquent use of words.

MORE OBJECTIVES:
Monday: A poem will be chosen to study (Weekly rotation between African and Non-African Poems) and a theme/form will be chosen to write on incorporating the elements learnt from the chosen poem.

Tuesday/Wednesday: Discussion about the poem and the devices that make it unique.

Thursday/Friday: A conclusion on the analysis of the poem and it will be posted on NPC thread.

Saturday: Submission of poems by members from which two poems will be selected for NPC Anthology.

The last Saturday of every month, there will be collaborative poems among members. This is to create a unified voice among NPC members.

COMPETITION: It holds twice a year. (Mid-year: Collaborative Competition; End of the year: Individual Competition and the winner will be the poet of the year).

End of every year there will be NPC Anthology (Volume One for the first year. Hope to get it published)

Club President: Poet of the Year automatically qualifies and two other members will be nominated, followed by general votes. The President will take over and lead the members through another year.
OMA4U is the acting President of NPC.

Thank you all for your time. Thank you all NPC members for your supports and cooperation. Thank you Almighty God.

Abeg a don try. e no easy to type joor……..phew!

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by OMA4U(m): 9:18pm On Nov 23, 2014
timpaker:
No mind me ooooo. I was joking. Each time someone says that, I am always tempted to ask that question. We finally made FP grin

I've been trying to comment ever since, but the network was denying me.

No p. I didn't mind at all. Yes, we made frontpage!
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by OMA4U(m): 9:21pm On Nov 23, 2014
timpaker:
Why not we give it a try and see. You can visit the Poems for Review Section, post your poem and get it analysed by poets.

I just realised this thread is created in a wrong place. It should be in the Poem for Review section. I will contact the mod to move it.
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Gladyys(f): 9:33pm On Nov 23, 2014

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 23, 2014
The first Thread FRom Poem after long years...
Praise the lord for cleansing our tears.
And making our tomorrow near..
Good evening friends

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by timpaker(m): 9:41pm On Nov 23, 2014
Divepen:
And made our tomorrow near..
Good evening friends
It wasn't easy ooooo. But I thank Seun and Obinnau all the same.
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by cupidhero(m): 10:12pm On Nov 23, 2014
feels like home.
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by joseph1832(m): 10:32pm On Nov 23, 2014
It gladdens my heart this made front page. I would also like to see at least a poem on front page everyday, it will go a long way in encouraging the poets here.
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 10:55pm On Nov 23, 2014
Divepen:
And made our tomorrow near..
Good evening friends
Thanks Divepen. You forgot to honour our invitation.
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 10:57pm On Nov 23, 2014
kr0ne:
This is a strange tradition! I'm so lost here I got me jaws on the floor. I don't know jack what all this ritual means but I still must confess.....it's awesome!!!
Lol. Last night you said boring and you left the thread. Why has the impression changed?
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by cisse7575(m): 11:10pm On Nov 23, 2014
OMA4U:

I've been trying to comment ever since, but the network was denying me.

No p. I didn't mind at all. Yes, we made frontpage!

thanks, I'm opting to see my name tomorrow...
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by noble4d(m): 11:31pm On Nov 23, 2014
Wow! We finally grace the FP smiley
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by newacca: 11:35pm On Nov 23, 2014
Well done guys. smiley
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by LORDI(m): 11:56pm On Nov 23, 2014
How do I commence registrations?,,am not a what'sapp user,..I know little about poetry I need grooming,.how do I join?
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by LarrySun(m): 1:03am On Nov 24, 2014
I've always been coming late to events these days; I'm so sorry about that, some Laws generally fall on the side of Murphy. There are things beyond my control. But my heart has always been here; my heart beats for any literary creativity, even if my pens only scrawl lines for prose. It is gratifying to always append the truth to the end of a train of reasoning.

I'm never a poet, I'm a total klutz when it comes to scribbling poetic lines or acting a troubadour. A close analysis may be able to explain to me how the colours of flowers of poetry are created and combined, but I may never understand how their odours are made. As much as I suffer an incurable dysentery of words, my poor symptoms are only diagnosed in the ward of prose. Even with prose, I never aim at creating literature, I only strive for intelligent entertainment. When my pen does have to become a sword, it would be more trenchant when its steel remains cold.

Unfortunately, because of the mantle flung on my mantel, and because of my lack of poetic speech, I shall go ahead and wash my soiled linens in the daylight. I shall paste some of the migraine-inducing balderdash I once scribbled and called poems, until I saw the works on real poets. I sincerely hope the poor readers have enough aspirins in their cabinets.

VANITY

Some buy a minute's happiness to wail a year
Some are kings in their dreams but wake up beggars
They cut off the tree to gobble one sweet apple
Then plant another seed to germinate in twenty years
How could man be so vain?

You taste your faeces to justify not stepping on it
You look to the sky and cry for the sun at night
Yet in the day you long for the moon over your banana
Would you buy a rose just for its thorns?

Would you behead yourself to ease that ache?
Or your birthright you sell for a morsel of pottage?
Most of us can lose our hands for a bagful of coins
When chickens would not risk a feather for a fistfuls of corns.

The stick beats the talking drum without compassion
And the drum wails in pain at every stroke
Yet humans dance to this cry in merry
Until the stick eviscerates the poor drum

Still, the drum cannot do without the stick
And humans would still want to dance some more
Does climbing the ladder make us taller?
Or lying before a dwarf render us shorter?
When shall man ever learn?

Larry Sun
November 3, 2013.

My humble respect to the great poets in the arena: OMA4U, Texanomaly, Royver, Firestar, Timpaker, Laykorn, Jigsawkillah, Noble4d, Divepen, Princesa, D9ty7 and Obinnau. God bless you all.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by LarrySun(m): 1:41am On Nov 24, 2014
D9ty7:
I am doing just that.
There are times when challenges have to be met head-on, and there are still times when it is base to sit still and let barbarians talk. God bless your wisdom.
Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by leederrty1997: 7:01am On Nov 24, 2014
Writing is very good, nothing is more better than writing. I personally love to write:
knowing the history of Nigeria will be the best for us, knowing the legends we have in Nigeria, fascinating places, lifestyle of Nigerians in early 60s, 70s, and also the culture and tradition of the people...NOTE WITH PICTURES Then visit: www.oldnaija.

Re: Nairaland Poetry Club (Launch Thread) by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 24, 2014
LarrySun:
I've always been coming late to events these days; I'm so sorry about that, some Laws generally fall on the side of Murphy. There are things beyond my control. But my heart has always been here; my heart beats for any literary creativity, even if my pens only scrawl lines for prose. It is gratifying to always append the truth to the end of a train of reasoning.

I'm never a poet, I'm a total klutz when it comes to scribbling poetic lines or acting a troubadour. A close analysis may be able to explain to me how the colours of flowers of poetry are created and combined, but I may never understand how their odours are made. As much as I suffer an incurable dysentery of words, my poor symptoms are only diagnosed in the ward of prose. Even with prose, I never aim at creating literature, I only strive for intelligent entertainment. When my pen does have to become a sword, it would be more trenchant when its steel remains cold.

Unfortunately, because of the mantle flung on my mantel, and because of my lack of poetic speech, I shall go ahead and wash my soiled linens in the daylight. I shall paste some of the migraine-inducing balderdash I once scribbled and called poems, until I saw the works on real poets. I sincerely hope the poor readers have enough aspirins in their cabinets.

VANITY

Some buy a minute's happiness to wail a year
Some are kings in their dreams but wake up beggars
They cut off the tree to gobble one sweet apple
Then plant another seed to germinate in twenty years

You taste your faeces to justify not stepping on it
You look to the sky and cry for the sun at night
Yet in the day you long for the moon over your banana
Would you buy a rose just for its thorns?

Would you behead yourself to ease that ache?
Or your birthright you sell for a morsel of pottage?
Most of us can lose our hands for a bagful of coins
When chickens would not risk a feather for a fistfuls of corns.

The stick beats the talking drum without compassion
And the drum wails in pain at every stroke
Yet humans dance to this cry in merry
Until the stick eviscerates the poor drum

Still, the drum cannot do without the stick
And humans would still want to dance some more
Does climbing the ladder make us taller?
Or lying before a dwarf render us shorter?
When shall man ever learn?

Larry Sun
November 3, 2013.

My humble respect to the great poets in the arena: OMA4U, Texanomaly, Royver, Firestar, Timpaker, Laykorn, Jigsawkillah, Noble4d, Divepen, Princesa, D9ty7 and Obinnau. God bless you all.
We have a lot to learn from you sir. Can you please join us at the chatroom?
Ayamlaykorn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

TRANSFORMING: The New Lycan / Innocent Ilo Wins 2020 Commonwealth Short-story For African Region / The Teacher (home-coming) +18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.