Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,607 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash (59659 Views)

The Man Who Caused A Scare At The Lagos Airport Today Pictured / See What Was Seen At The Lagos Airport Today (photos) / Emirates Plane Collides With Hak-air Plane During Take-off At Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 7:41am On Nov 23, 2014
And you can't snap? Pictures jooor or idonbelivi#
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by logica(m): 7:43am On Nov 23, 2014
Ilekeh:
I have never met a group of useless uniform-wearing officers till I landed in that airport.

No one does what they're being paid to do. Everybody dey do "aunty, give me something (money) na".
True; though I have to point out those "most useless" were Immigration Officers and not Customs. Customs do not beg for "something"; they just take without your consent (and you may even have to beg them to reduce the get-off-my-back money you need to pay them).

2 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 23, 2014
Those same clearing agents are the ones that wil be shouting APC Change, Sai Buhai, Sai Atiku tomorrow and claim that PDP is corrupt while APC is the saint but look at the way they are rejecting reforms that will end corruption in declaring of goods. Hehehe. No one can stop corruption in Nigeria except Nigerians decide to end it themselves. Not PDP, Not APC, Not GEJ, Not Buhari. Corruption has eaten into the deep fabric of our society that almost on daily basis we breath in corruption whether we like or not.

You go to your LGA for a document, they ask for bribe, you go to the police to make a report, they ask for bribe, you go to register for your inec card, the corpers there asks for bribe, you go for a job interview and passes but they ask for bribe, in the civil service they will refuse to promote you unless you de roger one oga at the top, u go dey on your own, MTN go subscribe you for callertunez wey u no request and charge you for it and upon that tell you Thanks. No aspect of this society is free of corruption. No one can make this country free of corruption except US but can we do that? Nope because we are too busy fighting igbo vs youroba, hausa vs ijaw, pdp vs apc.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ibrokola(m): 8:09am On Nov 23, 2014
ignis:
Only in Nigeria.
Our Uniform men, fighting one another since 1914.
Even our so called lawmakers have followed suit.

What else do you want me to say?

Did you read the report at all or you lack the ability to understand what you read?

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by claycares: 8:16am On Nov 23, 2014
gboss4sure:
Those same clearing agents are the ones that wil be shouting APC Change, Sai Buhai, Sai Atiu tomorrow and claim that PDP is corrupt while APC is the saint but look at the way they are rejecting reforms that will end corruption in declaring of goods. Hehehe. No one can stop corruption in Nigeria except Nigerians decide to end it themselves. Not PDp, Not APC, Not GEJ, Not Buhari. Corruption has eaten into the deep fabric of our society that almost on daily basis we breath in corruption whether we like or not.

You go to your LGA for a document, they ask for bribe, you go to the police to make a report, they ask for bribe, you go to register for your inec card, the corpers they asks for bribe, you go for a job interview and passes but they ask for bribe, in the civil service they will refuse to promote you unless de roger one oga at the top, u go dey on your own, MTN go subscribe you for callertunez wey u no request and charge you for it and upon that tell you Thanks. No aspect of this society is free of corruption. No one can make this country free of corruption except US but can we do that? Nope because we are too busy fighting igbo vs youroba, hausa vs ijaw, pdp vs apc.

If we have more people who will think like you do genuinely, our problems are already half solved.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Jocdon(m): 9:00am On Nov 23, 2014
Nigeria custom fighting over garri nd rice since 1947.

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 9:11am On Nov 23, 2014
So any resolution at sight? When are they resuming clearing?

Caveatemptor:
The problem at the Murtala Muhammed International airport is that the clearing agents do not feel that Comptroller Taju Olarewaju is honest with his so called reforms that are actually being tailored by him to line and fatten his pockets.
Reforms should be genuine and promulgated with a sincere heart. However where reforms are tailored and streamlined in such a draconian and selfish way such that everything ends in your pocket will lead to resentment and the kind of riots witnessed last week.

Comptroller Olarewaju wants to boost Government revenue and at the same time boost his personal pocket resulting in double taxation for clearing agents at the airport.. This is clearly unfair. The riot was quelled by the Federal operations unit but. the deep. seated anger and pent up frustration remains in the minds of the agents.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Burger01(m): 9:25am On Nov 23, 2014
valdes00:
Dem go ever lie against each other... Only God knws who is sayin d truth... If dem lik mak dem kill their selves, nothing concern me... My own concern nw na abt RONKA wey tell me say she neva see her period... *thinkin*
lol. Na OYO you dey man..
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Btruth: 9:46am On Nov 23, 2014
......but wait ooo. I thought they said the MMIA has been refurbished? I'm sure it's not that same airport I came in through on Wednesday? You need to see the arrival wing, ....it's such a mess. Quote me if you like.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ttmacoy: 10:16am On Nov 23, 2014
Infantrydoctor, God bless you for speaking the truth. Nigerian leaders are a reflection of the people and we need a total overhaul of our mentality and values.

infantrydoctor:
Hmmmmm..
How funny it is that we complain of curruption everydayInfantryd by our leaders but we our selves hate changes that will affect our own currupt practices. I have always said it that our leaders are also a fraction and a reflection of the general public. When a school principal always ensures that there is no exam malpractices in his school we term him wicked. Few students enroll for WAEC/NECO etc in such schools. When we have any oppotunity to manage any govt facility, we dont care about their maintenance, some ppl will even loot them away. A lecturer who takes his lecture very seriously and also ensures that only hardworking students get good marks is also termed wicked. My point....we should all encourage positive changes anywhere we are as everybody(not only the govt) has his or her own part in the development of our nation.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by sammily(m): 10:20am On Nov 23, 2014
infantrydoctor:
Hmmmmm..
How funny it is that we complain of curruption everyday by our leaders but we our selves hate changes that will affect our own currupt practices. I have always said it that our leaders are also a fraction and a reflection of the general public. When a school principal always ensures that there is no exam malpractices in his school we term him wicked. Few students enroll for WAEC/NECO etc in such schools. When we have any oppotunity to manage any govt facility, we dont care about their maintenance, some ppl will even loot them away. A lecturer who takes his lecture very seriously and also ensures that only hardworking students get good marks is also termed wicked. My point....we should all encourage positive changes anywhere we are as everybody(not only the govt) has his or her own part in the development of our nation.

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by valdes00(m): 10:38am On Nov 23, 2014
eistien:

Omo she dn get belle, na to start purchase baby tinz
Bros abeg no lemme vex for u oo, u no go face d topic... To cum dey scare me, wic belle... My sperm neva strong reach to giv belle.... I bliv say d tin delay ni...
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by valdes00(m): 10:39am On Nov 23, 2014
Burger01:

lol. Na OYO you dey man..
No ooo, na LAG I dey oo....
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ZACHIE: 10:48am On Nov 23, 2014
There is a lot of balderdash here beginning with the reporter.
What does it take to get the true gist of events before rushing to the press? Absolutely little or nothing except perhaps the news outfit weeded out details which might be injurious to the interest of the powerful.
Taju Olanrewaju has been a bloody pain in the arse since he assumed office.
Did you guys know that there had been more than 4 warning strikes since he came on?
there had been several stakeholders meetings with him since he came. Yet,after each meeting he does direct opposites of agreed terms.
did you guys know how many perishable goods have wasted and spoilt because this man has slowed down clearing procedures at the airport y insisting on personally seeing all imports cleared?
Did you know that it takes more than 2 weeks to clear goods that ordinarily should be next day delivery?
And did you know that in all these,The Cac is making cool money for himself?
Serious burks. I tell you.
Pelting him was wrong. Showing open dissent is not.

5 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ZACHIE: 10:49am On Nov 23, 2014
@Infantrydoctor
valid points, wrong thread.

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Caveatemptor(m): 11:34am On Nov 23, 2014
bigtt76:
So any resolution at sight? When are they resuming clearing?

Depends on the story Olarewaju has fed Abuja customs HQ.
The Sahcol and NAHCO courier sheds might be opened next week but NAHCO where the riots took place might be closed for a long time.
It is up to the agents to take their case against Olarewaju to Abuja or else they are on a long thing.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ocelot2006(m): 11:42am On Nov 23, 2014
ignis:
Only in Nigeria.
Our Uniform men, fighting one another since 1914.
Even our so called lawmakers have followed suit.

What else do you want me to say?

Uniformed men fighting one another? Where did you read that in the post? You do know that agents are civilians, not paramilitary like the NCS, right?
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Caveatemptor(m): 11:43am On Nov 23, 2014
@ZACHIE,
You are well informed of goings on at the Airport.
At the International Wing of the Airport,this same comptroller Olarewaju set up an operation seat made up of his boys to collect both revenue for government and for himself. No cargo leaves the International wing arrival hall except sanctioned by his operation seat which in the end slows down trade facilitation.

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by TheMadame(f): 11:57am On Nov 23, 2014
ZACHIE:
There is a lot of balderdash here beginning with the reporter.
What does it take to get the true gist of events before rushing to the press? Absolutely little or nothing except perhaps the news outfit weeded out details which might be injurious to the interest of the powerful.
Taju Olanrewaju has been a bloody pain in the arse since he assumed office.
Did you guys know that there had been more than 4 warning strikes since he came on?
there had been several stakeholders meetings with him since he came. Yet,after each meeting he does direct opposites of agreed terms.
did you guys know how many perishable goods have wasted and spoilt because this man has slowed down clearing procedures at the airport y insisting on personally seeing all imports cleared?
Did you know that it takes more than 2 weeks to clear goods that ordinarily should be next day delivery?
And did you know that in all these,The Cac is making cool money for himself?
Seroius burqa. I tell you.
Pelting him was wrong. Showing open dissent is not.

True talk my friend. The fact is that almost all the airport corresspondents are on Comptroller Olanrewajus payroll. They will write the watered down version of events as he wants them to.

2 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by z3us(m): 2:34pm On Nov 23, 2014
OGA ITS FEDERAL GOVT DAT INCREASE DUTY NOT CUSTOMS
chamboy:
Customs wanna Increase Duty abi... Nigeria duty always raising ni sha
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 3:27pm On Nov 23, 2014
Hmm. This is sad. It's about time people stop taking things too personal. The agent who started all this should be sanctioned to pacify the customs and that should solve the issue. undecided

Caveatemptor:

Depends on the story Olarewaju has fed Abuja customs HQ.
The Sahcol and NAHCO courier sheds might be opened next week but NAHCO where the riots took place might be closed for a long time.
It is up to the agents to take their case against Olarewaju to Abuja or else they are on a long thing.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 3:36pm On Nov 23, 2014
My hope is that they can't afford to close the clearing process for too long cause of backlogs and revenue being lost daily. This time of the year brings more revenue to government through them.

Please can we look for the customs twitter handle and Bombard with messages? Heartless people. cry
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by r231(m): 7:42pm On Nov 23, 2014
bigtt76:
My hope is that they can't afford to close the clearing process for too long cause of backlogs and revenue being lost daily. This time of the year brings more revenue to government through them.

Please can we look for the customs twitter handle and Bombard with messages? Heartless people. cry

grin grin.....it's not that easy!
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 11:51am On Nov 24, 2014
Hmmmmmmm!! GOD DEY!!!

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ZACHIE: 11:57am On Nov 24, 2014
@Colinadua
Is NAHCO on a lockdown?
I thought Olarenwaju said SAHCOL can go on working but that NAHCO will not work?
What about the meeting for today?
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 1:19pm On Nov 24, 2014
People want to flex unnecessary power at times undecided
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by austinsmat(m): 3:56pm On Nov 24, 2014
Why now oooooo two of my goods are lock down there one from china and another one from state please custom should do something fast before my customers hang me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ZACHIE: 4:40pm On Nov 24, 2014
I have 2 Wooden pallets inside that hole
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by r231(m): 4:57pm On Nov 24, 2014
ZACHIE:
@Colinadua
Is NAHCO on a lockdown?
I thought Olarenwaju said SAHCOL can go on working but that NAHCO will not work?
What about the meeting for today?

None working....

everywhere still shut down

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

12 Beautiful Resorts In Nigeria Where You Can Enjoy Your Honeymoon / Lady Poisoned After She Told Friends She Was Moving To The UK (Video) / Tell Us The Best Places To Live In Nigeria And Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.