Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,438 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash (59646 Views)

The Man Who Caused A Scare At The Lagos Airport Today Pictured / See What Was Seen At The Lagos Airport Today (photos) / Emirates Plane Collides With Hak-air Plane During Take-off At Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by MAITEMA(m): 11:14am On Dec 02, 2014
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 02, 2014
Can't these mods at least move this to FP. They only pick interest in non-sensitive posts like tonto et al. MOVE TO FRONTPAGE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 02, 2014
Good News. I just got this response from my shipper:

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 11:54am On Dec 02, 2014
Thank you for the feedback. We keep our fingers crossed

CeejayCharles:
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by oluwashegunfunm(m): 11:55am On Dec 02, 2014
CeejayCharles:
Is this from the nigeria custom servie ?
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by TheMadame(f): 11:59am On Dec 02, 2014
Etinosajay:
@justi4jesu

You too dey here? U na rili omnipresent on 9raland

@TheMadame. Anything new?

Sorry,my brother,the status quo remains. Two APCs in front of Nahco shed, Sahcol shut.
Diplomatic,perishables and urgent mails allowed out.
I have not commented today because I do not like spreading unconfirmed news. I only know Olanrewaju and the agents top brass were in Abuja yesterday. So far no news on what happened there.

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 02, 2014
CeejayCharles:
You don't need a soothsayer to tell you that shipper is not straight with info. Every other news points to the contrary.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 02, 2014
If president Jonathan can be this wicked during this first term. Imagine what will happen when he doesn't need your vote
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 02, 2014
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by MAITEMA(m): 12:34pm On Dec 02, 2014

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by MAITEMA(m): 12:36pm On Dec 02, 2014
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by helphelp: 12:59pm On Dec 02, 2014
The federal government will incur tariff losses on goods imported through the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, if the threat by importers and exporters, under the aegis of the Lagos State Shippers Association (LSSA) to divert their cargoe to Accra becomes a reality. The planned diversion follows on the heels of the closure of the Nigerian Aviation Handling Company Plc (NAHCO) and Skyway Aviation Handling Company Limited (SAHCOL) after a faceoff between clearing agents and officers of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) last two week.

The shippers’ sheds at the two cargo handling companies have been short for about 10 days now, with the importers lamenting loss of income to demurrage charges on their imported cargoes.

The association’s president, Mr Jonathan Nicol, said his group would direct its members to divert their cargoe to Ghana as the cargo sheds at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, as the agents under the aegis of the Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents (ANLCA) and the Customs refused to shift grounds on their differences. “We are taking this stand because goods stocked in the sheds are attracting huge demurrage and we cannot not quantify how much loss we have been incurring. The shippers are losing so much, especially at this time that we have supply contracts to our various clients,” Nicol said.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by tou4ever111: 1:10pm On Dec 02, 2014
MAITEMA:
Abeg which one are the diplomatic cargo/parcel I have package with fedex containing phone and laptops for bout 8days now it has arrive to nigeria but they kept tellin me the Airpot is shut. Does this mean they will release them private courier like fedex to clear out?
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 1:58pm On Dec 02, 2014
When you clear in Ghana... How do you bring in to Nigeria? Free? undecided

helphelp:
The federal government will incur tariff losses on goods imported through the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, if the threat by importers and exporters, under the aegis of the Lagos State Shippers Association (LSSA) to divert their cargoe to Accra becomes a reality. The planned diversion follows on the heels of the closure of the Nigerian Aviation Handling Company Plc (NAHCO) and Skyway Aviation Handling Company Limited (SAHCOL) after a faceoff between clearing agents and officers of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) last two week.

The shippers’ sheds at the two cargo handling companies have been short for about 10 days now, with the importers lamenting loss of income to demurrage charges on their imported cargoes.

The association’s president, Mr Jonathan Nicol, said his group would direct its members to divert their cargoe to Ghana as the cargo sheds at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, as the agents under the aegis of the Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents (ANLCA) and the Customs refused to shift grounds on their differences. “We are taking this stand because goods stocked in the sheds are attracting huge demurrage and we cannot not quantify how much loss we have been incurring. The shippers are losing so much, especially at this time that we have supply contracts to our various clients,” Nicol said.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Mariesio: 1:59pm On Dec 02, 2014
helphelp:

Na waoooo, so they will release medical supplies etc . What about goods that do not fall within these categories but can cause increase in demand for medical supplies when the owners have high blood pressure? Abeg, they shld just release all these goods and implement whatever measures they want to. Wicked people!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by MAITEMA(m): 2:05pm On Dec 02, 2014
Section 145 (1) as stated in the Customs press release, gives the Customs power to examine goods.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by annamaria: 2:09pm On Dec 02, 2014
*smh* this country! if it's not one thing, it's another. *smh*
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 2:13pm On Dec 02, 2014
Nobody doubts their abilities let them open up the sheds.

MAITEMA:
Section 145 (1) as stated in the Customs press release, gives the Customs power to examine goods.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Etinosajay(m): 2:37pm On Dec 02, 2014
Rubbish press release. The only and REAL issue I see here, is probably that the Custom officials were allegedly beaten or pelted with stones and sachet water bags by licensed agents or whoever it is. That's what this is about. This standoff is simply a revenge or an I will deal with you statement from the customs people.

The talk about revenue bullshit, haven't they been collecting their revenue before? And the rest laughable statements too, thugs, touts, etc. Licensed clearing agents or NAHCO staffers will now become touts to them, because a disagreement has ensued. Plus that unauthorised persons gain entrance to NAHCO premises, and thereby causing national security lapse. Story for the gods, we for don hear say BH people don gain access.

A further one that NAHCO/SAHCOL should show that they have facilities or tools to facilitate clearing, let them mention if clearly, the exact facilities or tools being talked about, abi is it constitutionally prohibited to disclose it too?

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by r231(m): 3:45pm On Dec 02, 2014
its just an email i receive before i get my head chopped off for giving wrong information !!!!!!!

Subject: Re: Nahco happenings

Dear All

The CAC refuse to open the cargo chapter of the Airport as at today. I gather later that the CAC has been removed and another person will be resuming his office though it is still grapevine but will confirm this tomorrow
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 4:00pm On Dec 02, 2014
Thank you r231. We appreciate any information team. Lets keep it flowing. Only fear is that removal may not signal re-opening ....it might even be worst with the next person coming on board. We only pray they see reasons and let our stuffs out soonest.

r231:
its just an email i receive before i get my head chopped off for giving wrong information !!!!!!!

Subject: Re: Nahco happenings

Dear All

The CAC refuse to open the cargo chapter of the Airport as at today. I gather later that the CAC has been removed and another person will be resuming his office though it is still grapevine but will confirm this tomorrow
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 6:20pm On Dec 02, 2014
You can all follow the proceedings here https://twitter.com/CustomsNG ...interesting bits on efforts at resolving the impasse undecided
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Caveatemptor(m): 6:34pm On Dec 02, 2014
The rumoured new Comptroller is one Comptroller Adewole. Before anyone rejoices,he is rumoured to be tougher,more difficult and stricter than the out going Olanrewaju.
More details will emerge after the Customs officers parade scheduled to take place tomorrow at 0700 hours. That is where it is rumoured that Olanrewaju will hand over to Adewole.
Fingers crossed.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by MAITEMA(m): 7:01pm On Dec 02, 2014
It's official according to my Customs source. Olanrewaju has been removed and a new Comptroller to resume tomorrow or next and then operations to resume at carrgo terminal afterwards.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by bigtt76(f): 7:16pm On Dec 02, 2014
Thank you for this update. Any idea why he was removed and being replaced?

I remember somebody posted recently he would be removed undecided

Caveatemptor:
The rumoured new Comptroller is one Comptroller Adewole. Before anyone rejoices,he is rumoured to be tougher,more difficult and stricter than the out going Olanrewaju.
More details will emerge after the Customs officers parade scheduled to take place tomorrow at 0700 hours. That is where it is rumoured that Olanrewaju will hand over to Adewole.
Fingers crossed.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Caveatemptor(m): 11:30pm On Dec 02, 2014
^^
Who knows why anything happens in Nigeria?
The Comptroller general of customs Dikko Inde rules the place like his personal fiefdom.
Maybe he grew tired of Olanrewajus excesses. Maybe he felt he couldn't work with the agents after the current shut down. Maybe he used and dumped him?
I have no pity for Olanrewaju. He stabbed his colleague in the back to get that job. He was sent on a slaves mission and could have carried.it out like free born but choose to carru it out like a slave and totally alienated everybody.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Amazingg: 7:08am On Dec 03, 2014
Thanks to everyone for the updates. Positively waiting to hear good news today. Good morning all
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Syber(m): 7:23am On Dec 03, 2014
Good morning all

Positive news this morning we pray!

#ReleaseOurCargo
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by LiteKing(m): 7:41am On Dec 03, 2014
I pray for Cheerful news today o
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Mariesio: 9:27am On Dec 03, 2014
Any news yet
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Pimples(m): 9:48am On Dec 03, 2014
That man without a heart Mr Tajudeen Olarenwaju was instructed (by the FG) to resume operations on monday 1/12/2014 ......but he adamantly refused.
Thankfully, he has been relieved of his duties in lagos.
The new guy that will take over from him will open the sheds as soon as he resumes today.

3 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by miqos(m): 10:47am On Dec 03, 2014
Pimples:
That man without a heart Mr Tajudeen Olarenwaju was instructed (by the FG) to resume operations on monday 1/12/2014 ......but he adamantly refused.
Thankfully, he has been relieved of his duties in lagos.
The new guy that will take over from him will open the sheds as soon as he resumes today.
AMEN OOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mouth don dry oh, i have about 30 laptops there since friday

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

12 Beautiful Resorts In Nigeria Where You Can Enjoy Your Honeymoon / Lady Poisoned After She Told Friends She Was Moving To The UK (Video) / Tell Us The Best Places To Live In Nigeria And Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.