Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? (40386 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / What Conditions Should Warrant A D.N.A Test. / My 63-year-old Wife Starves Me Of Sex, Divorce-seeking Septuagenarian Tells Cour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Ubiero(f): 10:59am On Nov 24, 2014
There is only one acceptable reason for divorce according to what Jesus said. And that is fornication.

Fornication is sex between two unmarried people.

Adultery on the other hand is sex between a married man and a married woman or unmarried woman.

Here you could say the man is an adulterer while the unmarried woman is a fornicator.

Since the only reason acceptable by God is Fornication. It therefore means that once you're married to that person, he cannot divorce for that same reason.

An example was when Mary the mother of Jesus was with child. The angel of God had to go and tell Joseph that he should go ahead and marry her because she was pure.

At this point, Joseph had the right to cancel the wedding but chose to go ahead with it.

*In the same vein, it goes to say that there should be transparency between intending couples. If the groom to be is not comfortable with the sexual partners his wife to be may have had, that is the only time he can decide not to marry her.

If he goes ahead with the marriage. He has no justification anymore to divorce her.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by larrybee2017(f): 11:22am On Nov 24, 2014
@ op no reason is good enough enough o except if you want to remain single for life. the one reason you divorce one is evident in all others. just pray for God to intervene. all things that work on three legs has the same characteristics lol just keep praying for divine intervention with the one you pick I beg.
just develop deaf ear and blind eyes and you will peace
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by SpencerLewis(m): 1:36pm On Nov 24, 2014
angelTI:
Under no condition!

Remember it's till death do you part....

But it could be hard under some situations o
Can't we human beings use our modern senses than relying on an ancient/archaic Jewish law? No as a woman stay in an abusive marriage and die under the illusion of 4 better 4 worse till death part both u. The man will instantly marry another woman waiting by the side and if there were kids involved, they will suffer the more under his new wife. I hate religion b/c most believers don't use their common senses at all when religion is involved. the same reason moslem fundamentalists have become terrorists and christian believers have become fanatic and ignorant.
One thing I like about 4ma Soviet union and other communist countries, is that organized religion was highly discourage, but regrettably they trampled on pple's fundamental human rights.The whites that brot this foreign beliefs to us have the highest divorce rates than we that abandoned our ATR.

3 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by BCJAY(f): 2:22pm On Nov 24, 2014
No matter your grieviance or twisting of the bible divorce is not permitted except on adultery ground and if you divorce till the other party dies you cannot remarry. That is the cross you have to carry sometimes, it is a thorn in my flesh right now but with patience we will overcome it.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Mhizdimplez(f): 2:24pm On Nov 24, 2014
franugo:

its sunday in nigeria I wouldn,t know, it's saturday here #am in tokyo.gringrin
ngwa send d picscheesy

Tokyo kwa?....cover your face
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Jay2014: 2:40pm On Nov 24, 2014
No, until death do them apart.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by UTEWUOJO: 2:43pm On Nov 24, 2014
Fornication
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by doitright2011: 2:47pm On Nov 24, 2014
Divorce can only be allowed when a partner has committed fornication/adultery.
But Jesus was trying to also point out to the Pharisees the hardness of their hearts.
God wants us to love our partners in same measure (degree) He loves us.
Lets us also not forget that when we divorce, we are not allowed to marry until
the other partner dies. Where then lies the sense of what Jesus was saying except
that we should forgive. Truth be told e hard wella to forgive this kind of sin
but if we prostitute(d) and He was able to forgive us, He expects that we do same for
others.

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by franugo(m): 3:00pm On Nov 24, 2014
Mhizdimplez:

Tokyo kwa?....cover your face

gringrin
Just send me d pics hun
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by sociable(m): 4:01pm On Nov 24, 2014
There is only one condition for u to divorce. And that is if your spouse is caught in the act of adultery BUT you cannot remarry. So it's either you forgive your spouse and stay together or divorce him/her and stay alone.

There is only one condition for you to remarry. That is on the case of death.

This is the Biblical standard.[for heaven conscious people alone]

Thank you
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by ukandi1(m): 4:37pm On Nov 24, 2014
PStacks:

Deception is the name of the game.

We don't just love it alone. Nigerians "Enjoy" to deceive their selves.

Politics,
Religion,
Economy,

Just name it. Same way we live in denial we are 1.

How can you tell me an Hausa man, a Yoruba man and an igbo man are one.

I for one, I have never believed in the concept of marriage let alone talk of divorce.

Marriage is like people just choking themselves up.

Everybody wants to be Free.

The rights to live,
The rights to live freely, and
The rights for the pursuit of happiness.

Those were the principles the founding fathers built America on.

Everybody must have the right to live, everybody must have the rights to live freely and everybody must have the right of pursuit of happiness.

When u are not happy in a marriage which is often times the case. You have rights for the pursuit of happiness.

Take o close look at nigeria.
Nigeria is a forced marriage of the hausa , yoruba and igbo people.

This marriage hasn't been the best of marriages, we can't continue this way and we can't afford to divorce, we are at a cross road. Like being inbetween the Devil anÐ the deep blue sea.

This insurgency of a thing is what has threatened this un-holy matrimony called nigeria the most.

Right now, I'm only trying to prepare for worst case scenario while I'm still somewhat hoping for the best.

We as a people are not different from our society at large.
Our society is a function of each and everyone of us.

Nigerians.. Who are we?

wow.. This is very factual as sadly and painful as it may sound..
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by elklehamite(m): 4:37pm On Nov 24, 2014
I think it is right time for us not to be too Biblical to be Godly.We have forgotten some women capitalize on this same scipture to make their husband go through hell in the marriage that is meant to be enjoyed. Yet some body is saying cuz Christ said this to the hardhearted Isrealites at that time in order to reduce or eliminate frequent cases of divoice and tries to set a standard, a man should allow woman to send him to hell, even when same Christ advised one to gouge out one of the eyes that leads him to hell? You expect a man who on genuine ground divoiced his wife to remain unmarry so that he can go ahead and commit sins of fornication and adultery? Don't you think is better for such a man to get married legally? And do you think God is that wicked to send such a person on the ground of remarry to hell? Beleive you me, God will not on a genuine case not neccessarily on the ground of infidelity such to hell.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by ukandi1(m): 4:49pm On Nov 24, 2014
SpencerLewis:

Can't we human beings use our modern senses than relying on an ancient/archaic Jewish law? No as a woman stay in an abusive marriage and die under the illusion of 4 better 4 worse till death part both u. The man will instantly marry another woman waiting by the side and if there were kids involved, they will suffer the more under his new wife. I hate religion b/c most believers don't use their common senses at all when religion is involved. the same reason moslem fundamentalists have become terrorists and christian believers have become fanatic and ignorant.
One thing I like about 4ma Soviet union and other communist countries, is that organized religion was highly discourage, but regrettably they trampled on pple's fundamental human rights.The whites that brot this foreign beliefs to us have the highest divorce rates than we that abandoned our ATR.

very sound and well articulated argument. This is my take on the issue as well.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by zboyd: 6:12pm On Nov 24, 2014
smartg:

that's how d oyibos does in their own country, here in Nigeria we don't quit marriages any how.

In Oyiboland, some women and men DO divorce "anyhow"...but the majority of people divorce for very good reasons, many not even addressed in the Bible like...

...getting your azz beat on the regular - sometimes seriously enough to land you in the hospital emergency room
...being married to spouses who can't keep their zippers zipped and their panties pulled up
...having spouses infecting you with STDs
...having spouses who beat their children to a pulp
...being married to husbands who claim to be head of household yet refuse to work
...having spouses who are into criminal activities
...being abandoned
...having spouses who 'come out of the closet' - turn out to be gay (And no... gayness is not an oyibo thing)
...sexual molestation of kid/s by a spouse
...marital r-ape by a husband

Just so you know...some Nigerians over here are divorcing their spouses for some of the very same reasons. To see some of them now, compared to how they were when they first immigrated here is like night and day. It's like they were sleepwalking through their marriages - going through the motions - day in and day out - miserable as hell. And then came the day they woke up, smelled the coffee and decided they deserved to be happy and so did their kids. So they divorced - not caring what anyone thought - and moved on to better lives and better mates.

So why are some of their fellow Nigerians, here and abroad, hating on them for doing what they think is best for themselves and their children?

Marriage is to be enjoyed - not endured - suffering and smiling through decades of misery.

Of course, some people can be likened to martyrs. They think nothing of sacrificing themselves on the Altar of Matrimony.

So be it!

One more thing...over here...Nigerian immigrants (and other immigrants) quickly find that treating their spouses and kids badly is not tolerated and could land them in family court or jail. BTW...some Nigerian men always claim it's the woman calling 911, in the midst of a domestic altercation but it could be the neighbors calling, when they hear all the commotion coming from the house.

2 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by giddygtbank(m): 6:29pm On Nov 24, 2014
Yea, d biblical ground for divorce is either death or adultery, buh, separation is allowed on various grounds e.g domestic violance, deliberate denial of basic provisions, refusing/forbiding mate to worship God etc.

U can visit www.jw.org for more info.

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by knowledge4(m): 7:36pm On Nov 24, 2014
TRUE LIFE STORY
A certain man, a born again Christian is now 49.His wife is 46.
They married legally 17 years ago.
The union produced a daughter now aged 16.
Two years ago,the wife absconded from the man and to date the man does not know where she is residing in Lagos.
However,he knows her office and phone number but the wife has not revealed her new residence address.
For two years, the man has been living alone as a bachelor and has not seen his daughter for two years.
Her mother took her away with her.
The woman's relations are also hostile and reconciliation is not in sight or feasible.
It is rumored that the woman is in another man's house but this stranded husband has no proof or confirmation
Should this man not go for divorce to remarry?
Should he continue to live alone for the rest of his life due to a circumstance beyond his control?
Should he run the risk of committing adultery which is a damnable sin when he can remarry and stay out of sexual sin?
Did the bible not say that if an unbelieving wife departs, the man is not under bondage?
He did not send the woman away.She left because the man had a financial downturn.

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by zboyd: 8:40pm On Nov 24, 2014
knowledge4:
TRUE LIFE STORY
A certain man, a born again Christian is now 49.His wife is 46.
They married legally 17 years ago.
The union produced a daughter now aged 16.
Two years ago,the wife absconded from the man and to date the man does not know where she is residing in Lagos.
However,he knows her office and phone number but the wife has not revealed her new residence address.
For two years, the man has been living alone as a bachelor and has not seen his daughter for two years.
Her mother took her away with her.
The woman's relations are also hostile and reconciliation is not in sight or feasible.
It is rumored that the woman is in another man's house but this stranded husband has no proof or confirmation
Should this man not go for divorce to remarry?
Should he continue to live alone for the rest of his life due to a circumstance beyond his control?
Should he run the risk of committing adultery which is a damnable sin when he can remarry and stay out of sexual sin?
Did the bible not say that if an unbelieving wife departs, the man is not under bondage?
He did not send the woman away.She left because the man had a financial downturn.

"There are two kinds of abandonment physical and emotional. Physical abandonment is pretty self-explanatory the person has moved out or left the marriage and the family. The other type of abandonment is emotional. It can be just as devastating to the family."

Read more here: http://www.marriagetoday.com/dealing-with-abandonment/
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by joshaac(m): 9:19pm On Nov 24, 2014
DIVORCE IS EVIL AND SHOULD NOT BE ENCOURAGED. THOUGH THE SOCIETY IS POLLUTED WITH ALL MANNER OF SINFUL ACTS. FORNICATION AS IT WERE IS BAD BT IF THE PERSON INVOLVED SHOWS TRUE REPENTANCE LET THERE BE FORGIVENESS BECAUSE NON OF US IS RIGHTOUS.

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by robbase: 5:36am On Nov 25, 2014
The book of Proverbs 21:9 (better to live on the roof than share the house with a nagging wife) answers this question well.
So better you quit if there isn't peace.

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by chidimmaaa(f): 6:03am On Nov 25, 2014
Zakkyoz:
Use your instinct. Quit when you are fed up. Marriage is designed to be enjoyed and not endured.
best answer. Odaz aint making sense
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by jpphilips(m): 8:53am On Nov 25, 2014
simplemach:
Ok, lemme give u the condition as stated out by a Rev. Father in a wedding i once attended in kaduna.
The Rev. Father said, yes, u can divorce but with this condition. That u will gather thesame exact crowd that witnessed the wedding (nobody should be absent) seated before thesame priest who joined the couple. Then the divorce procedures can commence.

Rev. fr and marriage counselling, which level?
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by simplemach(m): 10:20am On Nov 25, 2014
jpphilips:

Rev. fr and marriage counselling, which level?
My friend are u sure u read my post? I said once again 'in a wedding mass' the priest said that. Pls look for a good reading glass and go over it again.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Ojugunrege(f): 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2014
Toks2008:

If we all look at it critically,adultery is not a ground for divorce for a lady but for only the man.

In many contexts when bible talks about he,it usually applies to both gender but in the case of divorce based on adultery,its clearly specific that adultery is a ground for the man to divorce and not the woman.

Yes adultery is a sin but given the fact of the polygamous tendencies of men i do not see any logic in a lady divorcing her husby cos of this.

There is no guaranty that the nxt man wont do worse.

In my opinion,marital infidelity is not about sexual infidelity alone.

A man or woman who refuses the spouse conjugal right has comitted marital infidelity

A spouse who beats up the partbner has commited marital infidelity

A man who also refuses to tend to the emotional needs of the wife is also guilty of marital unfaithfullness.

So a man or woman can dvorce based on these reasons yet we are encouraged to fgv one another 70 x 7 times a day so as believers,we really should not be involved in divorce.

A married lady who divorces based on watever reason shall live as an adultress all the days of her life if she gets nvolved wth anthr man while a man who dvrces wife asides from sexual infidelity is guilty of making that lady an adultress.

Very twisted but the bottpmline is that we should avoid divorce at all cost.

Bros, Im happy to read this from you, o.
Last year it seemed like you were singing a different song on another thread "How to prevent infidelity in marriage or so".
I assume all is well at the home front now & madam has since returned. Una do well, o.

Shallom!
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Creamish(f): 3:35pm On Nov 26, 2014
The bible is always interpreted d way it suits the reader. God alone is the ultimate judge of what is right or wrong. Everything is based on context or situation. The bible also says "Thou shalt not kill" but God gave victory in wars to the old Kings...did they not kill?

My point, we are not in any position to advice if to divorce or not..neither of us will judge anyone on the last day. It is solely btw u and God.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by aderonila18: 8:26pm On Nov 26, 2014
JerryJJZ:
There is no two ways about it,, divorce is a huge sin before God and the bible clearly states that "no divorcee shall see God's face". Unless the spouse is dead,, no divorce is waranteed.

Pls what Chapter and verse says what you just quoted above? It's amazing how people add salt and sugar when trying to prove a point forgetting that adding to what the Bible says is a sin itself

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by JerryJJZ(m): 10:01pm On Nov 26, 2014
aderonila18:

Pls what Chapter and verse says what you just quoted above? It's amazing how people add salt and sugar when trying to prove a point forgetting that adding to what the Bible says is a sin itself

I am really sorry i cant provide the reference but either you believe it or not, itz the ONLY truth,,,,
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Tolzeal(m): 2:00am On Dec 07, 2014
damiolly:
Thank u so much evry1 ExtremeAwards means a lot to be nominated ....Pls vote for me under d followin categories. "Next Rated DJ Of The Year" & "Rookie Of The Year" Al u nid to du is visit www.xtremeent.com/awards/nominees to vote for me. Click on vote den click on DJ KENIDI nd vote. Love you al nd God bles u. Plz kindly re-bc Votin startx 2dae nd al votes counts.....

Respond to ur email....
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by ukandi1(m): 12:00pm On Dec 07, 2014
simplemach:

My friend are u sure u read my post? I said once again 'in a wedding mass' the priest said that. Pls look for a good reading glass and go over it again.

what do rev fathers know about marriage other than to join man and woman together in matrimony? What sound councel can they offer? From their own experiences as married men or what? I was told d same thing during my wedding but my dear, experience is d best teacher.
If at any time i can no longer go d distance, i wil walk away. Damn any Rev or anything anyone says
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by simplemach(m): 12:10pm On Dec 07, 2014
ukandi1:

what do rev fathers know about marriage other than to join man and woman together in matrimony? What sound councel can they offer? From their own experiences as married men or what? I was told d same thing during my wedding but my dear, experience is d best teacher.
If at any time i can no longer go d distance, i wil walk away. Damn any Rev or anything anyone says
my dear, those people were odained by God but that is just by the way. Another thing you should know is that even though if they are not married, they treat much more family issues than u can imagine. So if not for anything, atleast the experience from their encounters with people will always give them clues to solving future problems in marriages.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! / Pregnant Woman Dances For 3 Hours, Gives Birth Afterwards / Candace Owen: I Learned That Feminism Is A Scam, It Tears Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.