Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,872 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? (40327 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / What Conditions Should Warrant A D.N.A Test. / My 63-year-old Wife Starves Me Of Sex, Divorce-seeking Septuagenarian Tells Cour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Tallesty1(m): 9:57am On Nov 23, 2014
Macelliot:
Impossible in the Catholic Church. Once married remains married.
Not True
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by fruityjojo(f): 9:57am On Nov 23, 2014
Well well.
Matthew 19:8-9
Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.  I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, EXCEPT FOR MARITAL UNFAITHFULNESS, and marries another woman commits adultery."

4 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by ajoskele(m): 9:57am On Nov 23, 2014
Weyrrrin I dey do here sev..
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by ignis: 9:57am On Nov 23, 2014
Marital Unfaithfulness
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by 2tek: 10:01am On Nov 23, 2014
no condition is good enough. for better for worse.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by chimerase2: 10:01am On Nov 23, 2014
Under no condition
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Christta(f): 10:04am On Nov 23, 2014
It depends on the situation at hand....divorse is nt wat we planned for,but situations warrants..
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Macelliot(m): 10:05am On Nov 23, 2014
Tallesty1:
Not True
The divorced Couples won't be allowed to receive the Communion.
A priest does not divorce couples.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Firefire(m): 10:09am On Nov 23, 2014
[size=20pt]"For I hate divorce," says the LORD, the God of Israel, " - Malachi 2:16a[/size]

"Husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered" (emphasis added). There is a direct correlation between the way a man treats his wife and the effectiveness of his prayers. - I Peter 3:7

God clearly explains His reasons for esteeming marriage so highly. He says it was He who "made them one" (Malachi 2:15). Marriage was God's idea. If He designed it, then He gets to define it. Any deviation from His design is abhorrent to Him. Marriage is not a contract; it is a covenant. Divorce destroys the whole concept of covenant that is so important to God.

In the Bible, God often provides illustrations to teach spiritual realities. When Abraham offered his son Isaac on the altar, it was a picture of the day, hundreds of years later, that the Lord God would offer His only Son on that same mountain (Genesis 22:9; Romans 8:32). When God required blood sacrifices for the forgiveness of sin, He was painting a picture of the perfect sacrifice He Himself would make on the cross (Hebrews 10:10).

Marriage is a picture of the covenant God has with His people (Hebrews 9:15). A covenant is an unbreakable commitment, and God wants us to understand how serious it is. When we divorce someone with whom we made a covenant, it makes a mockery of the God-created concept of covenant relationship. The Church (those individuals who have received Jesus as Savior and Lord) is presented in Scripture as the “Bride of Christ” (2 Corinthians 11:2; Revelation 19:7-9). We, as His people, are "married" to Him through a covenant that He established. A similar illustration is used in Isaiah 54:5 of God and Israel.

When God instituted marriage in the Garden of Eden, He created it as a picture of the greatest unity human beings can know (Genesis 2:24). He wanted us to understand the unity we can have with Him through redemption (1 Corinthians 6:17). When a husband or wife chooses to violate that covenant of marriage, it mars the picture of God’s covenant with us.

Malachi 2:15 gives us another reason that God hates divorce. He says He is "seeking godly offspring." God's design for the family was that one man and one woman commit themselves to each other for life and rear children to understand the concept of covenant as well. Children reared in a healthy, two-parent home have a far greater likelihood of establishing successful marriages themselves.

When Jesus was asked why the Law permitted divorce, He responded that God had only allowed it "because of the hardness of your hearts, but from the beginning it was not so" (Matthew 19:8 ). God never intended divorce to be a part of human experience, and it grieves Him when we harden our hearts and break a covenant that He created.

http://www.gotquestions.org/God-hates-divorce.html

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by holyboss: 10:10am On Nov 23, 2014
LordMecuzy:

Even on Sunday?
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Mclick(m): 10:10am On Nov 23, 2014
OasisofRefuge:
@mclick sir, u didnt explain the two types (formal and informal) of divorce you stated above.
a formal divorce is the one that goes through legal means while the informal are couple that lives separately without legal involvement and those who are still living under the same roof but a not committed to marital vows. I will still update my comments latter
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Abiolainfo: 10:10am On Nov 23, 2014
Question for Chris Oyakhilome tongue

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by patrotic9gerian: 10:10am On Nov 23, 2014
OasisofRefuge:
Based on the bible, once you are married, there's no going back. except when there's a case of adultery or death.

Today, people have minor differences and still divorce.
As a child of God, is it acceptable to divorce under any condition apart from adultery?

Can a Christian get married, and probably after realising the spouse is not good enough or not up to what he/she desires and ask for a divorce, and then remarries. Either this or remain in the marriage unhappy for ever.

Can a Christian ask for divorce when there's domestic violence or stay in the marriage till the end of time?

Please share with us based on God's word. Is there any reason why a child of God should divorce apart from adultery?

it may please you to know that you are not allowed to divorce if your partner commits adultery... The bible refers to marital unfaithfulness or (illegal union). This is different from adultery.... what this means is that before marriage, if a partner hides a big secret (e.g. having a deadly disease or in ability to give birth) then its an illegal union and there is unfaithfulness in the marriage, otherwise you are ment to forgive your wife even if she commits adultery... its a sin to divorce her for this reason. In marriage, no going back...

3 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by honeric01(m): 10:13am On Nov 23, 2014
Christians and selective doctrine..

Some are even using their own logic to decide what is adultery and what is not..

some are even saying Jesus said what he said to "moderate" divorce with no biblical backings.

I want to ask, as Christians, do we have any other manual than the bible? if yes, can you post them here? if no, why then are you deciding what should be and not be outside the manual called "BIBLE"?

If you want to be a Christian, you must be in all ways, both in words and in actions, stop selecting when to be a christian and when not!

Christianity is in deeds and words.

The bible says "only Adultery and death" is permitted for divorce, anything outside these is "unscriptural" and "un-christian"

This is why you must look well before you say i do, stop running after flesh, stop chasing men or women because of their physical attributes alone, stop dating people for physical and material gains only.

Dont rush into relationships, follow God's manual and you'd be on the right path. also pray if you lack direction in choosing, stop allowing others choose for you, go straight to God for direction, you have the same access to God as any other Christian out there be it Pastor, Bishop, Pope or father!

14 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Sharksblow(m): 10:13am On Nov 23, 2014
Matthew 5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement.

Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Now, read carefully again, whosoever that leaves his wife without formally handing a divorce letter is committing a sin.

Whosoever that leaves his wife without a reasonable excuse like FORNICATION commits a sin. Divorcing your wife if she cheats on you and with viable evidence isn't a sin.

A man was called by his wife one day and said "none of these children is for you" to cut the long story short, all four kids were for a concubine after DNA test. Is this man going to hell for divorcing her peacefully instead of living with her and stand a chance of becoming a murderer in the future.? This happened to a close family friend o. The man was 55 at that time.

Many of people who say its a sin have not seen some evils people can do. OK, if you're a woman and you get to know that your husband used some of your children for ritual money, its still gonna be for better, for worse abi? comments pls

8 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Babs2040: 10:14am On Nov 23, 2014
ONLY ON GROUNDS OF ADULTERY

2 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by ojuoluwani(m): 10:14am On Nov 23, 2014
The question is ARE U A REAL BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN? If yes the only condition for divorce that bible made us to know is if there is case of ADULTERY u can divorce your wife if there is a confirm case of adultery except this no other condition for a truly born again Christian. Any pastor or church that support divorce simply because of domestic crises are product of hell fire remember u both made vow FOR BETTER FOR WORSE, FOR RICHER FOR POORER , IN SICKNESS IN HEALTH , IN CRISIS IN PEACE. My brother please before u choose seek the eyes of God. I'm a victim I'm facing a very hard domestic crisis presently I'm praying to God for forgiveness and breakthrough all loving Christian should pray for me too

4 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Willgates(m): 10:15am On Nov 23, 2014
Under air condition. angry

3 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by johnstar(m): 10:18am On Nov 23, 2014
repent nw or

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by command01(f): 10:19am On Nov 23, 2014
aisha2:
Twisting the bible again. Biblically nothing like till.death do you part those are roman vows.
The reason God said " I hate divorce" was because the men of Israel had hard hearts and would marry and divorce their wives on flimsy grounds. Hence Jesus gave conditions for divorce just to moderate it.

There is room and grounds for divorce is the bible and no divorce is not a sin.
Do we not all have one Father[b]? Did not one God create us? Why do we profane the covenant of our ancestors by being unfaithful to one another?

11 Judah has been unfaithful. A detestable thing has been committed in Israel and in Jerusalem: Judah has desecrated the sanctuary the Lord loves by marrying women who worship a foreign god. 12 As for the man who does this, whoever he may be, may the Lord remove him from the tents of Jacob[c]—even though he brings an offering to the Lord Almighty.

13 Another thing you do: You flood the Lord’s altar with tears. You weep and wail because he no longer looks with favor on your offerings or accepts them with pleasure from your hands. 14 You ask, “Why?” It is because the Lord is the witness between you and the wife of your youth. You have been unfaithful to her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant.

15 Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring.[d] So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth.

16 “The man who hates and divorces his wife,” says the Lord, the God of Israel, “does violence to the one he should protect,”[e] says the Lord Almighty.

So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful.
balderdash!

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by honeric01(m): 10:20am On Nov 23, 2014
patrotic9gerian:

it may please you to know that you are not allowed to divorce if your partner commits adultery... The bible refers to marital unfaithfulness or (illegal union). This is different from adultery.... what this means is that before marriage, if a partner hides a big secret (e.g. having a deadly disease or in ability to give birth) then its an illegal union and there is unfaithfulness in the marriage, otherwise you are ment to forgive your wife even if she commits adultery... its a sin to divorce her for this reason. In marriage, no going back...

Can you always back up what you claim the bible is saying with biblical reference? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Tallesty1(m): 10:20am On Nov 23, 2014
Macelliot:

The divorced Couples won't be allowed to receive the Communion.
A priest does not divorce couples.
Catholics do not call it divorce. We call it "Annulment".

A priest can annul marriage when he discovers that the sacrament of the marriage wasn't valid.

If a Catholic spouse fails to follow the Canonical Form of marriage, as outlined by Catholics, then simple process is followed in order to Nullify the union based on a lack of Canonical Form.

Once the marriage is nullified by the tribunal, the spouse are free to marry again and receive holy communion.

The church will issue a decree statin that the bond of the sacrament of marriage was never present from the very beginning of the marriage.

4 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 23, 2014
speakthetruth:
Better to be single than to divorce. Marriage of course is a requisite for divorce. The absolute truth in christendom is never to divorce once married except you are a joker: no acceptable excuse to break up after marriage not even the popularly quoted-out-of-cotext case of adultery.

Some people only quote bible the way it suit their mind, meanwhile adultery is never tolerated anywhere, including the bible
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by galaxybabe(f): 10:25am On Nov 23, 2014
How bout whrn one gets married to person of same blood group without knowing eg AS married to AS, and the woman hid the fact dat she was AS and she nd her family forged a wrong blood group test of AA just so she can marry"a us based man" praying nd beliving that tins will change cos the are believers(like dey claimed ) and after one year she put to birth in d US and her son was SS,there twas discoverd she was AS, in this case can it be so unchristian to divorce??
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by ojuoluwani(m): 10:28am On Nov 23, 2014
honeric01:

Can you always back up what you claim the bible is saying with biblical reference? undecided
thank u u say my mind

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by jbaby265(f): 10:28am On Nov 23, 2014
no matter wat i can't endure domestic voilence ...shekina

2 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by patrotic9gerian: 10:31am On Nov 23, 2014
honeric01:

I am explaining the meaning of the popular biblical ref that you know... in translating the bible from Greek to Eng, some meanings were lost and the word unfaithfulness is one of them...
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by nerodenero: 10:31am On Nov 23, 2014
Unfortunately, establishing an ACT of unfaithfulness and proving it as evidence to back one's claim isn't easy.
infantrydoctor:
Infidelity. Without having to alterate the guidelines of the bible to suit our present day "good reasons" for divorce, a fully established case of unfaithfulness or adultery is the only reason.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by sainty2k3(m): 10:32am On Nov 23, 2014
galaxybabe:
How bout whrn one gets married to person of same blood group without knowing eg AS married to AS, and the woman hid the fact dat she was AS and she nd her family forged a wrong blood group test of AA just so she can marry"a us based man" praying nd beliving that tins will change cos the are believers(like dey claimed ) and after one year she put to birth in d US and her son was SS,there twas discoverd she was AS, in this case can it be so unchristian to divorce??
Exactly what is on my mind, I understand perfectly that Bible gives no room for divorce except for adultery, but in case of grievous deceit like the one u mentioned and physical assault I think its better both parties go their ways to avoid incipient murder
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Busybody2(f): 10:32am On Nov 23, 2014
The Bible is explicit enough on this...on grounds of adultery and if the partner is an unbeliever, and this is for the HARDHEARTED.

Love is the greatest and biggest commandment in the Bible. Marriage is not by force, dem no dey take rope drag person into it undecided
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by ojuoluwani(m): 10:33am On Nov 23, 2014
galaxybabe:
I u are a real born again Christian and u seek the face of God before u go to the alter, bo mater what if u are truly walking in the spirit of God. He will reveal every secret to u. And such thing will not even happen.

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 23, 2014
I think it is better to cheat on the wife than to divorce her. It is even better to add a second wife. Just don't divorce anybody. Just find a way to be happy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

MARTIAL BED: My Wife Says No Sex Until Her Mother Leaves Our House. / My Ex-Girlfriend Keeps Disturbing My Relationship / What I Noticed In My Neighborhood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.