Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,697 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

What Is Spiritual Death? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Spiritual Death? (3474 Views)

What Is Spiritual Abuse? / Spiritual Death / Spiritual Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Spiritual Death? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:14pm On Nov 24, 2014
ayoku777:

I understand you well. But for you to understand me better let me ask?

People that have died and are in hell, what part of then is in hell now, animate and conscious, even though they are spiritually dead?

There spirit and soul. Their bodies gone back to the earth/dust which is to be resurrected again.
Re: What Is Spiritual Death? by ayoku777(m): 2:54pm On Nov 24, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

This is where we will have to agree to disagree. I don't believe we are spirit beings. We are actually tripartite beings consisting of spirit, soul and body. Unbelievers have these three entities it's just that their spirit man is dead because of sin.

Outside God there is no life. Soulish they may be but certainly not spiritually alive.

Now we are getting to the fundamentals of our differences.

You believe someone who is spiritually dead cannot retain an animate spirit. Evil spirits that have departed from God and fallen are still animate, spirits of people in hell are still animate. Yet they are all spiritually dead.

While i believe God owns the breath of life in every living being, it doesn't mean that you need to be obedient to God to retain that breath and have an animate spirit.

Even in the end when man and demons are thrown into the lake of fire, they will still see, feel, scream and thirst. The loss of the life of the spirit of God is not the inanimation of a spirit.

And according to ecclesiastes 3v21, both man and beast have spirits.

"Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth."

I think the real difference is that you don't believe man is a spirit being like God. I believe man is a spirit like God and resides in a soul that resides in a body, like your marrow, your bone and your flesh. But the breath of life is in the spirit, like the red blood cells are produced in the marrow.

The spirits of unbelievers and even demons are not and will never be inanimate even in the lake of fire, even in their state of spiritual death.

A spiritually dead spirit is not an inanimate spirit.
Re: What Is Spiritual Death? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:53pm On Nov 24, 2014
ayoku777:

Now we are getting to the fundamentals of our differences.

You believe someone who is spiritually dead cannot retain an animate spirit. Evil spirits that have departed from God and fallen are still animate, spirits of people in hell are still animate. Yet they are all spiritually dead.

I believe a spiritually dead person remains dead to God. Whatever activity they do or don't do they still remain dead in their trespasses and sins.

ayoku777:

While i believe God owns the breath of life in every living being, it doesn't mean that you need to be obedient to God to retain that breath and have an animate spirit.

As I said. Man is a spirit, soul and body not a spirit having a soul and body. Man is created in the image of God. He is consciously aware of himself and also possess a 3rd created entity, the image of God, which is capable of communing with God who is a Spirit.

ayoku777:

Even in the end when man and demons are thrown into the lake of fire, they will still see, feel, scream and thirst. The loss of the life of the spirit of God is not the inanimation of a spirit.

And according to ecclesiastes 3v21, both man and beast have spirits.

"Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth."

There is definitely consciousness beyond the brain activity. Human beings and animals are both conscious of themselves but the verse you have up there used the word "spirit" which could also be used as the word breath in the sense that both human beings and animals have "breath or spirit" which ceases to function at physical death. The word spirit may also refer to that aspect of human beings which communicates with God's Spirit, and which returns to God at death. Animals do not have this aspect.

ayoku777:

I think the real difference is that you don't believe man is a spirit being like God. I believe man is a spirit like God and resides in a soul that resides in a body, like your marrow, your bone and your flesh. But the breath of life is in the spirit, like the red blood cells are produced in the marrow.

I believe man is tripartite like God is trinity. When you say man is a spirit like God then you will fall into the deception of those who claim that they are gods.

ayoku777:

The spirits of unbelievers and even demons will never be inanimate even in the lake of fire, even in their state of spiritual death.

Talking about life before physical death. The spirit of unbelievers remain dead to God. They may be active as demons activate them unlawfully but they are always dead spiritually.

1 Like

Re: What Is Spiritual Death? by Hiswordxray(m): 7:40pm On Nov 24, 2014
This is What happens when you start saying things that are not in the Bible. The Bible never use the word spiritual death because death is death.
Now if you say a spiritually dead person spirit is not alive and is inactive. What about witches whose spirit leaves there body at night. I have heard of people who are not born again but they can sense and know things in their spirit.

If you say spiritual death is separation from God what about Rom 8:6 "For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace." this verse didn't say be carnally minded will lead to death but it said carnally minded equals death. Does this mean anytime you are carnal minded you die spiritually and you need to become born again again.

If you say those without the Holy Spirit are spiritually death does that mean when you are carnally minded the Holy Spirit leaves you.

Let not confuse ourselves with the theology of the body, soul and spirit. For us to understand this we need to know that death is death and can be in different form.

1). Death as a kingdom: - This kingdom of the devil is the same as the kingdom of darkness which is the same with the kingdom of the word which can also be called the kingdom of death. In this kingdom all the citizens are spiritually dead. Therefore when Jesus said we pass from life to death it is the same as what Paul said that we are translated from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of the son of God (Col 1:13).

2). Death as a law: - The kingdom of death is ruled by the law of death. Paul described this law when he said "But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members." (Rom 7:23). Paul is saying the law of death is operating in him and warring against the law of is mind (which is his will ) and bringing him to always obey the law of sin which is inside him. Paul was describing when he was still spiritually dead.

3). Death as fruit: - When we adhere to sin we produce sin onto death. Paul mentioned this in Rom 7:5 "For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit onto death." We know the fruit of the spirit is then the fruit of death would be murder, adultery, lies etc. Whether we are believers or not we could produce fruit onto death when we think and heart carnally.

4). Death as a spirit: - We know the spirit death will be thrown into hell because the bible says "Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." (Rev 20:14).

5). Death as Hell: - The book of Revelation tell us that Hell can also be call second death " 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." (Rev 20:14).

6). Death as Being Inactive:- The spirit is never dead in this sense but the body can become inactive when the vital organs are not functioning. This is when life leaves the body. Now life cannot leave the spirit because the breath of life was breathed into the body not the spirit. But a spirit is said to be dead when it is living in the kingdom of death or it is in hell (second death).

Anytime the word death is mentioned in the Bible it could be in any of the form listed above based on the context.

Re: What Is Spiritual Death? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:27pm On Nov 25, 2014
Hiswordxray:

This is What happens when you start saying things that are not in the Bible. The Bible never use the word spiritual death because death is death.

The fact that the word "spiritual death" is not written in the Bible does not mean that the concept does not exist just as you will not find the word "Trinity" or "Rapture" or "Grandfather" written in the authorised version of the Bible.

Hiswordxray:

Now if you say a spiritually dead person spirit is not alive and is inactive. What about witches whose spirit leaves there body at night. I have heard of people who are not born again but they can sense and know things in their spirit.

Is the witchcraft spirit alive to God or is separated from God?

Hiswordxray:

If you say spiritual death is separation from God what about Rom 8:6 "For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace." this verse didn't say be carnally minded will lead to death but it said carnally minded equals death. Does this mean anytime you are carnal minded you die spiritually and you need to become born again again.

Stick to what God says and that would suffice.

Hiswordxray:

If you say those without the Holy Spirit are spiritually death does that mean when you are carnally minded the Holy Spirit leaves you.

What does God say? "Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither His ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid His face from you, that He will not hear" (Isaiah 59:1,2).

"And you has He quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins...Even when we were dead in sins, has quickened us together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus" (Ephesians 2:1,5).

We can deduce from the passages above that our sins separates us from God thereby making us spiritually dead but thank Jesus who died to pay for our sins that after we have repented and believed the gospel, trusting Jesus as our Lord and Saviour would we be quickened, made alive to God in Christ by the Power of the Holy Spirit.

Hiswordxray:

Let not confuse ourselves with the theology of the body, soul and spirit. For us to understand this we need to know that death is death and can be in different form.

1). Death as a kingdom: - This kingdom of the devil is the same as the kingdom of darkness which is the same with the kingdom of the word which can also be called the kingdom of death. In this kingdom all the citizens are spiritually dead. Therefore when Jesus said we pass from life to death it is the same as what Paul said that we are translated from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of the son of God (Col 1:13).

But you claim that "spiritual death" is not in the Bible, how did you then come to conclusion that it's citizens are spiritually dead?

Hiswordxray:

2). Death as a law: - The kingdom of death is ruled by the law of death. Paul described this law when he said "But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members." (Rom 7:23). Paul is saying the law of death is operating in him and warring against the law of is mind (which is his will ) and bringing him to always obey the law of sin which is inside him. Paul was describing when he was still spiritually dead.

But the word is not in the Bible now? undecided

Hiswordxray:

3). Death as fruit: - When we adhere to sin we produce sin onto death. Paul mentioned this in Rom 7:5 "For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit onto death." We know the fruit of the spirit is then the fruit of death would be murder, adultery, lies etc. Whether we are believers or not we could produce fruit onto death when we think and heart carnally.

Really?

Hiswordxray:

4). Death as a spirit: - We know the spirit death will be thrown into hell because the bible says "Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." (Rev 20:14).

5). Death as Hell: - The book of Revelation tell us that Hell can also be call second death " 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." (Rev 20:14).

6). Death as Being Inactive:- The spirit is never dead in this sense but the body can become inactive when the vital organs are not functioning. This is when life leaves the body. Now life cannot leave the spirit because the breath of life was breathed into the body not the spirit. But a spirit is said to be dead when it is living in the kingdom of death or it is in hell (second death).

Anytime the word death is mentioned in the Bible it could be in any of the form listed above based on the context.

The question was and still is: "What is spiritual death?"

1 Like

Re: What Is Spiritual Death? by Hiswordxray(m): 7:42pm On Nov 25, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The fact that the word "spiritual death" is not written in the Bible does not mean that the concept does not exist just as you will not find the word "Trinity" or "Rapture" or "Grandfather" written in the authorised version of the Bible.

Is the witchcraft spirit alive to God or is separated from God?

Stick to what God says and that would suffice.

What does God say? "Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither His ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid His face from you, that He will not hear" (Isaiah 59:1,2).

"And you has He quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins...Even when we were dead in sins, has quickened us together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus" (Ephesians 2:1,5).

We can deduce from the passages above that our sins separates us from God thereby making us spiritually dead but thank Jesus who died to pay for our sins that after we have repented and believed the gospel, trusting Jesus as our Lord and Saviour would we be quickened, made alive to God in Christ by the Power of the Holy Spirit.

But you claim that "spiritual death" is not in the Bible, how did you then come to conclusion that it's citizens are spiritually dead?

But the word is not in the Bible now? undecided

Really?

The question was and still is: "What is spiritual death?"
It seem like you don't know the difference between spiritual death and spiritually dead.

Spiritually death is a state of being dead spiritually.

Spiritual death is a type of death but this is wrong because the only two type of death that exist is death and eternal death.
You are not understanding my point.
OK let me put it this way: When a dog is still a baby it is called puppy but when it grows up it is called a dog. Now it is wrong to say "there are two types of dog- puppy dog and adult dog".
That statement can be compared with saying "there are two type of death - spiritual death and physical death."
This is wrong because it is that same dog who was once a puppy that now become a adult dog. The puppy can not be differentiated from the adult dog because they are the same.
Spiritual death cannot be differentiated from physical death because physical death is another stage of spiritual death. Physical death is when spiritual death manifest itself physically, hence they are the same thing.
Spiritual death and physical death are the same so it is wrong to classifying them into two types. Therefore death is death.
I hate arguing that why I don't explain the spiritual terms I use even when people ask me to. But I thought you are mature enough to understand spiritual terms.
But if you don't understand then let leave it that way. If you could understand this, you will be able to move forward and grow in the knowledge of God.
But if you want to remain that way feeling like you know it all, then find.

Pride is the cause of many fall.
Re: What Is Spiritual Death? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:10am On Dec 10, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

What does it mean to be spiritually dead?

http://www.gotquestions.org/spiritually-dead.html

Question: "What does it mean to be spiritually dead?"

Answer: To be spiritually dead is to be separated from God. When Adam sinned in Genesis 3:6, he ushered in death for all humanity. God’s command to Adam and Eve was that they could not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It came with the warning that disobedience would result in death: “And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, ‘You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.’” The phrase “you shall surely die” could be literally translated “dying you shall die.” This signifies a continuous state of death that began with spiritual death, continues throughout life as a gradual degradation of the body, and culminates in physical death. The immediate spiritual death resulted in Adam’s separation from God. His act of hiding from God (Genesis 3:8 ) demonstrates this separation, as does his attempt to shift blame for the sin to the woman (Genesis 3:12).

Unfortunately, this spiritual – and eventual physical – death was not confined to Adam and Eve. As the representative of the human race, Adam carried all of humanity into his sin. Paul makes this clear in Romans 5:12, telling us that sin and death entered the world and spread to all men through Adam’s sin. Additionally, Romans 6:23 says that the wages of sin is death; sinners must die, because sin separates us from God. Any separation from the Source of Life is, naturally, death for us.

But it is not just inherited sin that causes spiritual death; our own sinfulness contributes. Ephesians 2 teaches that, before salvation, we are “dead” in trespasses and sins (verse 1). This must speak of spiritual death, because we were still “alive” physically before salvation. While we were in that spiritually “dead” condition, God saved us (verse 5; see also Romans 5:8.) Colossians 2:13 reiterates this truth: “And you, who were dead in your trespasses . . . God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses.”

Since we are dead in sin, we are completely unable to trust God or His Word. Jesus repeatedly claims that we are powerless without Him (John 15:5) and that we cannot come to Him without God’s enabling (John 6:44). Paul teaches in Romans 8 that our natural minds cannot submit to God, nor please Him (verses 7-8.) In our fallen state, we are incapable of even understanding the things of God (1 Corinthians 2:14).

The act of God whereby He makes us alive from spiritual death is called regeneration. Regeneration is accomplished only by the Holy Spirit, through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. When we are regenerated, we are made alive together with Christ (Ephesians 2:5) and renewed by the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5). It is like being born a second time, as Jesus taught Nicodemus in John 3:3, 7. Having been made alive by God, we will never truly die – we have eternal life. Jesus said often that to believe in Him is to have eternal life (John 3:16, 36; 17:3).

Sin leads to death. The only way to escape that death is to come to Jesus through faith, drawn by the Holy Spirit. Faith in Christ leads to spiritual life, and ultimately to eternal life.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/spiritually-dead.html#ixzz3LRtqIL7W
Re: What Is Spiritual Death? by Hiswordxray(m): 5:56am On Dec 10, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Question: "What does it mean to be spiritually dead?"

God bless you Brother.
Re: What Is Spiritual Death? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:47am On Dec 10, 2014
Hiswordxray:

God bless you Brother.

God bless you too. Do you agree with the post?
Re: What Is Spiritual Death? by Hiswordxray(m): 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

God bless you too. Do you agree with the post?
Yes I agree with the post except for the part where the word "spiritual death" is still used. You should cancel the word "spiritual" and leave it as just "death".

Anyway that doesn't matter, what matter is that we now understand what death is.
Re: What Is Spiritual Death? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:36pm On Dec 10, 2014
Hiswordxray:

Yes I agree with the post except for the part where the word "spiritual death" is still used. You should cancel the word "spiritual" and leave it as just "death".

Anyway that doesn't matter, what matter is that we now understand what death is.

Fair enough if that is what matters to you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Biblical Joseph, The First And Greatest 419 Story Ever Told. / Witchcraft Evidence:witches Caught In The Act ( Videos ) / Why I Am A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.