Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,371 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi (3114 Views)

Ribadu Later Realised Obasanjo Was Using Him –soyinka / My Watch: Obasanjo Is An Incredible Liar - Brig-Gen Alabi Isama / Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by JosephAchuzie(m): 6:03pm On Nov 25, 2014
A retired Brigadier-General and Chief of Staff, 3rd Marine Commando, during the Nigeria civil war, Godwin Alabi-Isama, has disclosed that former President Olusegun Obasanjo was not only clueless during the war, but acted as a weakling in many instances.
According to General Alabi-Isama, Chief Obasanjo exhibited a lot of weaknesses that did not portray him as a gallant soldier throughout the period he served the army during the war.
In an interview published in the current edition of TheNEWS magazine, our sister publication, the retired General punctured a lot of claims in My Command, a book written by the former President chronicling his experience in the war.
According to him, Obasanjo never wanted to be part of the war. He was so scared of death that he evaded every opportunity to go to the battle front.
He disclosed that retired General Alani Akinrinade picked Obasanjo to lead the troop after Benjamin Adekunle was dropped as the commander following an alleged unethical conduct.
“Gowon was not sure that Obasanjo would want the job of replacing Adekunle because he was an engineer…Gowon said we should contact him.
“When we met Obasanjo, we told him our mission and gave him a comprehensive briefing on the situation at the war front. We went with maps and explained to him the defects of Adekunle’s plan to attack the Igbo heartland.
“We aso told him about Operations Pincer 1, 2 and 3 and explained that if Pincer 2 was adopted, the war would end in 30 days.
“We spoke for three hours without food or drink. Obasanjo simply listened.
“And when he spoke, he said he was an engineer and he was not going to the war front. He also said we wanted to have him killed by nominating him for a spot at the war front,” the retired soldier said, adding that this comment got him angry and that he reacted instantly by reprimanding Obasanjo.
He said he reminded Obasanjo at the venue of their meeting how he and his engineering corps were unable to blow up the bridge in Ore when the Biafran army were advancing to Lagos and how the situation was salvaged by Mr. Akinde of the Public Works Department at Ibadan, assisted by men of the Ministry of Works.
“I was so incensed that I continued to pour venom on him,” he added.
Alabi-Isama said as against Obasanjo’s claim that he ordered the bridge to be blown up, the idea actually came from the wife of then Governor Adeyinka Adebayo. He explained that she was the one who suggested to Obasanjo that the action be carried out.
When Obasanjo eventually took over as the Commander of the 3rd Marine Commando, Alabi-Isama said he and Akinrinade gave him a comprehensive briefing, but that he refused to listen because of the grudge he haboured from his first encounter with Alabi-Isama.
As a result of this, his first battle experience, according to Alabi-Isama, was a disaster.
Emphasising Obasnajo’s cluelessness, he said the first decision he made when he took up the leadership of the troop was to start paying the soldiers on the battle field by allotment.
“He ordered an attack on Ohoba, some 40 kilometres from Owerri, just four days after taking over from Adekunle. He did not even know that we had to plan,” Alabi-Isama explained, adding that Obasanjo lost 1, 400 men in the attack, something that never happened before he took over, because he refused to listen to advice.
In another incident, the retired General said Obasanjo ran away from the scene of an attack claiming he was heading to Port Harcourt, an eight hour journey, to get ammunition for the same battle when he could ordinarily radio the army headquarters.
He described Obasanjo as completely incompetent and inefficient, saying the former President never went to battle even as a commander during the war.
“For instance, he went to inspect Colonel Iluyomade, but when he got there, there was shooting. He quickly got into his jeep and ran away.
“He was shot in the buttocks while running. A general will be shot in the chest, and not in the buttocks,” said the army general, who is set to launch a book titled The Tragedy of Victory: On-The-Spot Account of The Nigeria-Biafra War In The Atlantic Theatre, his own version of the war experience aimed to counter some of the ‘lies’ by Chief Obasanjo.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/06/20/obasanjo-was-a-clueless-war-commander-gen-alabi-isama/

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by JosephAchuzie(m): 6:08pm On Nov 25, 2014
No wonder the coward was shot in the buttocks.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Adminisher: 6:26pm On Nov 25, 2014
What is the point of recycling this story which may be partly true ay this time?. Obj was probably in his 30s during the civil war, that is the age of acceptable mistakes. Let me give other examples:
-Gowon did lavish society wedding when the war had barely ended and people were still dying.
-Ojukwu was sleeping with wives of top Biafran army officers while they were dying on the front for Biafra.
-Ojukwu also cowardly ran away telling his generals cock and bull stories and abandoned his people to statvation and deathrl
-Murtala Muhammed lost millions of pounds of equipment and thousands of lives in 3 failed attempts at Abagana.
-The Biafran incursion.into the midwest was one of the most mediocre and stupidest offenssive in history.
Maybe i need to tell you more before you realise that Nigerias civil war main characters were all flawed and too young for the responsibilities they were carrying.then and Obj was just one of them.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by HisRoyalHardnes(m): 6:43pm On Nov 25, 2014
Adminisher:
What is the point of recycling this story which may be partly true ay this time?. Obj was probably in his 30s during the civil war, that is the age of acceptable mistakes. Let me give other examples:
-Gowon did lavish society wedding when the war had barely ended and people were still dying.
-Ojukwu was sleeping with wives of top Biafran army officers while they were dying on the front for Biafra.
-Ojukwu also cowardly ran away telling his generals cock and bull stories and abandoned his people to statvation and deathrl
-Murtala Muhammed lost millions of pounds of equipment and thousands of lives in 3 failed attempts at Abagana.
-The Biafran incursion.into the midwest was one of the most mediocre and stupidest offenssive in history.
Maybe i need to tell you more before you realise that Nigerias civil war main characters were all flawed and too young for the responsibilities they were carrying.then and Obj was just one of them.

How do you know all these? Was there "twitter" then?
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by slimfit1(m): 7:26pm On Nov 25, 2014
The man was stupid for not getting him fired they are both incompetent. However coming here to insult him for no reason is just ridiculous.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Nobody: 7:35pm On Nov 25, 2014
This is the reason baba kept attacking Benjamin Adekunle in his book.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by mrborntodoit: 7:40pm On Nov 25, 2014
Lol, karma they say,is a b.iatch!

Obj aka "general bully", you see yourself You shouldn't have attacked gej, see now , your junior for army don open ya smelling yansh.

Oya baba iyabo,tell me how it feels to be attacked grin

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by manmade(m): 7:54pm On Nov 25, 2014
*Shot in the buttocks while running away from war front# like father like son

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Donmarrius: 8:05pm On Nov 25, 2014
No wonder Obj hated the Igbos,and virtually did noting in Igboland,as a president,because the bullet scar on his buttock always reminds him of Igbo military brutalitygrin

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Donmarrius: 8:10pm On Nov 25, 2014
That reminds me,Obasanjo's son was also shot on the buttock,while running away from boko haram.
This family and their cowardice is legendry.it's unheared of in the history of humanity.

9 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Donmarrius: 8:30pm On Nov 25, 2014
As days rolls by,the true picture of the war,is being unearthed.
I was 'wowed',when i read the line of the report that says,OBJ lost over a thousand-plus soldiers,only in a single encounter with ill-armed and underfed Biafra soldiers,at Ahoba near Owerri(1,400).
Same story was told in Abagana war front,and other places,where Nigerian soldiers ably aided by British,Egyptian,and Russian war mercinaries,lost both men and equipments in a great number.
Just imagine Biafran soldiers being properly armed/trained,and the war fought without any external direct influence of world powers?

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by emmysoftyou: 9:00pm On Nov 25, 2014
[size=18][b]menh abeg,i don laff taya no be small...
so this man na pure coward,atimes him go dey show himself like sey him folow be one of yorubber hero wey conquer the great biafrans..

i still cant believe that biafrans war front was damn too hot for the northerners and the westerners to confront the great easterners cool..
to the extend that they were looking 4 commander to lead them to heartland igbo at the warfront,Which obasanjo automatically ran away frm the warfront and pretended he was going to portharcourt lol.
grin grin grin
What a Cowardice ogun state man

omo dis man funny die cheesycheesy
i cant stop laughing here..
dis man call isama don open your yanh grin
this showed how cowardice the yorubber army are,during the biafra war.

anyway, yorubber of those days dont like army work because they re afraid of anything war,which may probably arise.

pls ndigbo keep this statement as a record because the man who expose him is not an igboman..cheesy
it wil serves as a reference and how great the biafrans warfront soldiers fought like heros inthe battlefield.....
Chai ojukwu,
more respect to you as a brave soldier cool..[/b][/size]

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by kropelgrada(m): 10:31pm On Nov 25, 2014
Adminisher:
If you are referring to the Abagana massacre,i'm very sure that the OP of this particular thread is the chief mastermind...
Col.Joe 'Air Raid' Achuzie grin..Except you are an impersonator.
Ogbueshi i can't help but blow your cover grin..Ochiaya 1 of Ahaba.
Nna nwai na ekene.
Still one of your avid admirers sir.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by kropelgrada(m): 10:39pm On Nov 25, 2014
JosephAchuzie:
kropelgrada:

If you are referring to the Abagana massacre,i'm very sure that the OP of this particular thread is the chief mastermind...
Col.Joe 'Air Raid' Achuzie grin..Except you are an impersonator.
Ogbueshi i can't help but blow your cover grin..Ochiaya 1 of Ahaba.
Nna nwai na ekene.
Still one of your avid admirers sir.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by idealsico(m): 11:06pm On Nov 25, 2014
Thank God other generals who witnessed the war are still alive. Obasanjo painted himself as the hero of the war. The secret is becoming public knowledge. He was such a coward. Why does Obasanjo think he is the superman of Nigeria: Nigeria starts and ends with him? He has the wisdom to rate the performance of others but when he was there he did not do any better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by meccuno: 11:29pm On Nov 25, 2014
Thank God its just a page......what a relief
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by brownlord: 11:45pm On Nov 25, 2014
From which region?
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by JosephAchuzie(m): 11:56pm On Nov 25, 2014
brownlord:
From which region?

He is from the region where cowards are seen as heros.

From the region where shiny zincs are banned.

From the region where people live like pigs and suffer like camels.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by JosephAchuzie(m): 11:58pm On Nov 25, 2014
Obj got shot in the buttocks by Biafran soldiers while running.

His son also got shot in the buttocks by boko haram while running.

Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Oment7: 12:41am On Nov 26, 2014
No be talk am oh....

Goggle don't liegrin

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by o42austino(m): 6:00am On Nov 26, 2014
Obj....the stupid General that is alway claiming to be James Bond

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Truckpusher(m): 6:12am On Nov 26, 2014
JosephAchuzie:
grin grin
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by omenka(m): 6:20am On Nov 26, 2014
Donmarrius:
No wonder Obj hated the Igbos, and virtually did noting in Igboland,as a president,because the bullet scar on his buttock always reminds him of Igbo military brutalitygrin
How do some of you bring yourselves to say things like this This is really disheartening.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Donmarrius: 6:25am On Nov 26, 2014
omenka:
How do some of you bring yourselves to say things like this This is really disheartening.
What's this one saying?.Just prove me wrong!.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Toosure70: 6:27am On Nov 26, 2014
Osama alabin or wetin be dat ur name? Why you no nominate yourself? Jelousy dey worry you. Ote dey there dey hate as i dey make my money....(in olamide voice)
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by mistabiola: 6:39am On Nov 26, 2014
Isama Alabi no get sense at all, Obj nah smart guy... tongue yoruba people would say; ma' ja ma' sa la fi n' mo akin kon'ju loju ogun... Obj I love your bravura jawe smiley
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by omenka(m): 6:43am On Nov 26, 2014
Donmarrius:
What's this one saying?.Just prove me wrong!.
There are whole parts of this country that haven't witnessed any Federal touch since Jonathan came on board. Does it mean he "hates" the people of that region There are lots of such places in other administrations in the past as well, does it mean those presidents "Hate" people from those regions

I'm not here to argue with you. I know your type. Hate is like cancer, eats you up slowly from the inside unnoticed until it's too late. Rid yourself of it.

Have a lovely day.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 26, 2014
JosephAchuzie:

He is from the region where cowards are seen as heros.

From the region where shiny zincs are banned.

From the region where people live like pigs and suffer like camels.
yet your army and region surrendered to him to make the war end.
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 26, 2014
Cowardice truly runs through the veins and DNA of Obasanjo.

He got shot in the buttocks , so also did his son.

Nigerian Army should stop recruiting Obasanjos henceforth.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by lonelydora: 6:54am On Nov 26, 2014
Is that why he's like this?
Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Nobody: 7:02am On Nov 26, 2014
To be honest, the Biafrans did pull off a great feat but theiir troubles started with their arrogating and occupying stance on the riverine and Niger Delta people. If they had won the hearts and minds of the Niger Delta people the war would have been a different story.

I read that the Biafrans soldiers saw themselves first as conqureres and occupies before the non Ibo territory. They shut down schools and forced whole communities to relocate in some riverine communities. When the Nigerian forces advanced and reclaimed part of the non ibo territories they came as liberators and provided much needed medicine and food and tried to return these reclaimed communities back to normalcy by mandating compulsory school attendance. Other yet to be liberated communities after hearing of how the federal troops treated reclaimed communities were eager to kick the Biafrans out.

This is the major blunder on the part of the Biafrans. if they had won the hearts and minds of the non Igbo people they would have succeeded.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander - Isama Alabi by Nobody: 7:05am On Nov 26, 2014
Obasanjo is an enigma of sort.

A wife bashing husband.

A terrible father.

A coward and incompetent General.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bankole Detained In Underground Cell / Biafra: Sit At Home Monitoring Thread- Pictures / Another APC Governor's Rice Pyramid Lies Busted With Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.