Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,353 members, 7,815,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} (10983 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre. {NJTC} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by festwiz(m): 8:55pm On Nov 27, 2014
naijaboiy:

Makes no sense undecided
It doesn't have to. Only proves your ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by naijaboiy: 9:04pm On Nov 27, 2014
festwiz:

It doesn't have to. Only proves your ignorance.
Kk undecided
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by clevvermind(m): 12:19am On Nov 28, 2014
i hope you people will finish what you've started.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 28, 2014
Goodmorning Class.

Today,I'll be taking us on Oral. Oral Forms are usually the penultimate or final questions in Jamb's Use of English.

Stay tuned as we learn together.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 28, 2014
ORAL FORMS

The test of oral forms will also be in the multiple choice format. Elements to be tested will include the following:
a. Vowels
b. Consonants
c. Stress
d. Intonation

Today,we shall learn STRESS(Word Stress)
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 28, 2014
WORD STRESS

Stress is an extra force used when pronouncing a particular word or syllable.

1.When a word has two syllables,the first syllable is stressed

eg: Tea-cher => TEAcher

Mar-ket => MARket.

2. However,when the first syllable is a prefix,then the stress would be on the second syllable. Prefix is a letter or group of letters added to the begining of a word to change its meaning.
Prefix(s) like -'un', -'pre', -'re', -'ex', -'be', -'con'...

Eg: unhappy => unHAPPY

preheat => preHEAT

extend => exTEND.

3. Shifting stress occurs in words that can function both as a noun and as a verb or adjective. For a noun,the stress lies in the first syllable and vice-versa for adjective and verbs.

Eg: NOUN

import => IMport
record => REcord

For Adjectives and Verbs, the second syllable is stressed.

Eg: import => imPORT
record => reCORD.

Culled from 2002 Use of English (paper type C)

Question 58: In each of the questions 58 and 59, identify the word that has the stress on the first syllable.

A. export(noun)
B. commute
C. intend
D. import(verb)

Answer is A. export => EXport.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 28, 2014
STRESS ON POLYSYLLABIC WORDS

1. When words ends in -ic, -ion, -ing, -ous, -ial, or -ian, the stress falls on the second syllable counting from the end.
Eg: understanding => under-STAN-ing

dictatorial => dic-ta-T0-rial

dramatic => dra-MA-tic

enormous => e-NOR-mous
Notice the letters in capital? Thats the stress(counting from the end)

2. Words ending in -ity, -ate, -al, -ve are stressed in the 3rd syllable counting from the end.
Eg: fortunate => F0R-tu-nate

opportunity => op-por-TU-ni-ty

normative => NOR-ma-tive

3.For words ending with -noon, -tain, -bey, -come, -pose, -sine, stress the LAST syllable.
Eg: afternoon => after-NOON

understand => under-STAND

obey => o-BEY

entertain => enter-TAIN.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 28, 2014
Please dear jambites, start reading now before its too late. Go through the past questions again and again. I recall when I was about to write JAMB, i read the past questions up to 5times. Oral Forms was my problem then. Most students, same as I are always confused with the stress,rhyme,vowels and such likes... until I bent low to learn.

Please again,read. Thats the only secret to scaling JAMB. Don't just view this thread without jotting in your book.

I hope you find today's lesson useful. You can drop your questions too.

THANK YOU.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by kinxlink(m): 8:54am On Nov 28, 2014
Wow, I like dis, Nice one jhor.
#more power to ur elbow.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 28, 2014
Also endeavour to buy and read the two literature books. Its usually 30 question and it is compulsory for every student both science and art inclined.

1. The Potters Wheel and
2. The Successors by Jerry Agada.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by agafiya: 9:59am On Nov 28, 2014
Jennimma:
Also endeavour to buy and read the two literature books. Its usually 30 question and it is compulsory for every student both science and art inclined.

1. The Potters Wheel and
2. The Successors by Jerry Agada.
The literature book for next year UTME is "LAST DAYS AT FORCADOS HIGH SCHOOL" by A.H. Mohammed.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by shakrullah(m): 11:50am On Nov 28, 2014
agafiya:

The literature book for next year UTME is "LAST DAYS AT FORCADOS HIGH SCHOOL" by A.H. Mohammed.
Yes. u are correct
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by shakrullah(m): 11:52am On Nov 28, 2014
@jennimma thanks for today's class. I enjoyed and at the same time digested every bit of ur explanation.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 28, 2014
agafiya:

okay dear,thank you for the correction.
This my grey hair sef *scratches grey hair and adjust my glass* grin
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by stuff46(m): 12:26pm On Nov 28, 2014
learninq never ends.

Walks into the class with my notebook,(for jottinq)

dictionary, (i no trust this teacher)

bible (to pray) and

pens ( should incase one stops)
siqninq in
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by clevvermind(m): 1:56pm On Nov 28, 2014
I dnt think anybody will fail Jamb next year if they follow all these lessons. It's a nice thread.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Microtee(m): 4:42pm On Nov 28, 2014
Following,not a jambite tho.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 28, 2014
Naijaboiy
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Avast(m): 10:47pm On Nov 28, 2014
Jennimma:
WORD STRESS

Stress is an extra force used when pronouncing a particular word or syllable.

1.When a word has two syllables,the first syllable is stressed

eg: Tea-cher => TEAcher

Mar-ket => MARket.

2. However,when the first syllable is a prefix,then the stress would be on the second syllable. Prefix is a letter or group of letters added to the begining of a word to change its meaning.
Prefix(s) like -'un', -'pre', -'re', -'ex', -'be', -'con'...

Eg: unhappy => unHAPPY

preheat => preHEAT

extend => exTEND.

3. Shifting stress occurs in words that can function both as a noun and as a verb or adjective. For a noun,the stress lies in the first syllable and vice-versa for adjective and verbs.

Eg: NOUN

import => IMport
record => REcord

For Adjectives and Verbs, the second syllable is stressed.

Eg: import => imPORT
record => reCORD.

Culled from 2002 Use of English (paper type C)

Question 58: In each of the questions 58 and 59, identify the word that has the stress on the first syllable.

A. export(noun)
B. commute
C. intend
D. import(verb)

Answer is A. export => EXport.
,when the first syllable is a
prefix,then the stress would be on the
second syllable. How come export is the ans ?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 10:52pm On Nov 28, 2014
Avast:
,when the first syllable is a
prefix,then the stress would be on the
second syllable. How come export is the ans ?
That example is for shifting stress.
Export (noun). Read it again

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 28, 2014
Welcome Jarus...
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by adeiza4u(m): 11:56pm On Nov 28, 2014
All I can say is thank you all for your helps. God bless you ma/sir.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by seankafor(m): 7:51am On Nov 29, 2014
:comes late.. Swaggers into class sagging with earpiece playing story for the gods"
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Pes13: 8:06am On Nov 29, 2014
stuff46:
learninq never ends.

Walks into the class with my notebook,(for jottinq)

dictionary, (i no trust this teacher)

bible (to pray) and

pens ( should incase one stops)
siqninq in

As bad as using cannot be able side by side in a sentence.

U either use SHOULD ONE STOPS or INCASE ONE STOPS.

Invisible teacher by Dele Ashade will do u good since u cant trust ur teacher here. *wink*

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 8:07am On Nov 29, 2014
*Grabs back seat*
cool
adjusts glasses
and opens ears wide.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Youngsage: 8:32am On Nov 29, 2014
Hehehe
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by phemmisky(m): 8:45am On Nov 29, 2014
teacher, pls help me out , which is correct , my permanent residence , or my permanent resident ?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by mikechibuzor(m): 9:22am On Nov 29, 2014
*pockets 7k,money supossed to be for tutorial*
please profs, as you all know oral test(in precise vowel and consonant sounds) is the 'hardest'. We'd like u guys to explain them to the core.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 10:03am On Nov 29, 2014
Veralaw:
*Grabs back seat*
cool
adjusts glasses
and opens ears wide.

You use glasses? shocked
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by marvmurphy(m): 11:09am On Nov 29, 2014
festwiz:

So because a simple error which i saw fit to be corrected now makes me an "antagonist"? Thats just uncanny.
Can please stop distracting us, someone his trying to learn something so can u please shut the Bleep up and stop disturbing this forum please
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by festwiz(m): 11:20am On Nov 29, 2014
marvmurphy:
Can please stop distracting us, someone his trying to learn something so can u please shut the Bleep up and stop disturbing this forum please
If you weren't stupid, you would've checked the date the post was made and then tell me who should shut the Bleep up.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 29, 2014
phemmisky:
teacher, pls help me out , which is correct , my permanent residence , or my permanent resident ?
permanent residence is the right one.

Residence is a state of living in a particular place while resident is a person who lives or has their home there.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which University Can I Study Medicine With Jamb Score Of 230? / JAMB Orders All Institutions To End 2017 Admissions January 25 / jamb 2017 2018 admission into all Nigeria universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.