Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,422 members, 7,815,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} (10985 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre. {NJTC} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 02, 2014
5. PROXIMITY CONCORD
Proximity means closeness/nearness. Here,the verb agrees with the subject that is nearest to it. This happens in sentences with two or more subjects.
Eg: Either the chief or his subjects pay taxes.
Or
Either the subjects or the chief pays taxes.
Note: the verbs in the above sentences are 'pay' and 'pays.' In the first sentence,the verb 'pay' agrees with 'his subjects' while in the 2nd, the verb 'pays' agrees with 'the chief.'

More examples:
a. Neither the teacher nor the students play football {prox.concord is students}
b. Neither the students nor the teacher plays football.
Note: 'students' and 'play', 'teacher' and 'plays'

c. No one except the teachers use the toilet
d. No one except the teacher uses the toilet.
Note: 'teachers' and 'use', 'teacher' and 'uses'

e. He is the boy who plays for us.
f. He is one of the boys who play for us.
Note: 'boy' and 'plays', 'boys' and 'play'
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 4:25pm On Dec 02, 2014
Concords that may create UNCERTAINTY.
Below are examples:

1. Structures of co-ordination with "and" usually take a plural verb but when such structures co-ordinated by "and" contain two units which express a single idea, they take a singular verb.
Eg: Bow and arrow was used to kill the bird.

Whisky and soda is my favourite drink.

Fish and chips comes in handy when there is an urgent need for food.

2. Plural words and phrases count as singular when they are used as titles,quotations or names. Also,when a clause acts as a subject, then it counts as singular.
Eg. 'To treat students as kids' is unfair.

The Journal of Humanities is published in Benin.

3. Words or phrases and expressions that begin with such words as: accompanied by, as well as, along with, in addition to/with, are usually ignorned for the purpose of concord.
Eg. The headmaster as well as his teachers has been invited.

Olu with his wife has gone for a walk.

The lecturer,accompained by two of his students, has travelled to Lagos.

4. A relative pronoun (who, whom, which, that) agrees with its antecedent i.e. the noun phrase it refers to:
eg. One of the guards 'who' are on duty is sick.

John is one of the boys 'who' sing in the choir.

This is one of those ideas 'which' were mentioned.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 02, 2014
I hope we find today's lesson useful. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Martiyu(m): 4:42pm On Dec 02, 2014
Jennimma:
I hope we find today's lesson useful. Thank you.

I don't get this part

John is one of the boys who sings in the choir... Y is the singular form of the verb word sing used?

In addendum, u didn't answer the question I asked on stress.. I think it was an oversight. Let me use this medium to ask again.

What would b the stress pattern for the following words :- coincident, coincidental and coincidentally and Pls explain what rule or law accompanies each answer. Gracias
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by adeiza4u(m): 5:16pm On Dec 02, 2014
Jennimma:

microflux,please attend to him. He would get back to you,okay@adeiza4u
Ok Thank you ma, waiting......
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by clevvermind(m): 5:45pm On Dec 02, 2014
Jennimma:
2. Notional Concord: this means an idea that is based on assumption. This concord interfere with the number concord. In other words,when the thought is of the group as a unit, then singular verb is used.
Eg. The band is playing(the group thought of as a collection of individuals)

The band have scattered(the group as a unit)

OR

The audience was large(a group)
The audience were clapping their hands(as a unit)

3. Noun Plural In Appearance But Singular In Usage.
They include news,physics, mathematics, economics, premises, headquaters, electronics etc
Eg: The school premises was dirty
The headquaters is far

{was and is are singular}
Also expressions,amount<time,money,measurement,weight> are considered singular when seen as a unit.
Eg. Three hours is enough time.
Ten thousand naira has been spent.
Three-fifth of the money was recovered.

4. Noun Singular In Appearance But Plural In Usage.
They include: the poor,the rich, livestock, sheep, cattle, lice, nice, date, etc.

Eg:The rich also cry.

The livestock belong to the Emir.

Also titles,names even when in plural form usually takes singular verb.
Eg: the adventures of Emeka has been published.

The knights of the Mulumba is sponsoring a carnival.
u are doing a good job. Keep it up.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by ObiOkpor(m): 6:51pm On Dec 02, 2014
Jennimma:

Its LAST DAYS AT FORCADOS HIGH SCHOOL by A.H Mohammed.
thank you.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 02, 2014
Martiyu:

I don't get this part

John is one of the boys who sings in the choir... Y is the singular form of the verb word sing used?

In addendum, u didn't answer the question I asked on stress.. I think it was an oversight. Let me use this medium to ask again.

What would b the stress pattern for the following words :- coincident, coincidental and coincidentally and Pls explain what rule or law accompanies each answer. Gracias
For your 1st question,i made a mistake-a typo error. The correct verb is "sing" and i've modified it.

Coincident=> co IN ci dent{stress the 3rd syllable from the end}

2.for words ending in -al,stress the 2nd syllable counting from the end
Coincidental=> co in ci DENT al.

3. For words ending in -lly,stress the 3rd syllable from the end. Coincidentally=> co in ci DEN tal ly.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by omoadeleye(m): 8:46pm On Dec 02, 2014
anybody that had bought the literature text book can help some fellows here by making summary of the content, and you don't only help others you really helped yourself
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Avast(m): 9:24am On Dec 04, 2014
Jennimma:

But You said Early that word that Ends with -al is stressed in 3rd syllable from the end.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by sheddyboy: 10:14pm On Dec 05, 2014
Jennimma:

For your 1st question,i made a mistake-a typo error. The correct verb is "sing" and i've modified it.

Coincident=> co IN ci dent{stress the 3rd syllable from the end}

3. For words ending in -lly,stress the 3rd syllable from the end. Coincidentally=> co in ci DEN tal ly.
i hope you arn't dropping us here. when we still have a long way to go.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Dikolas(m): 10:49pm On Dec 10, 2014
Just from my view
Names in the book( chapter 1 to 5)

Jimi Solade----The story is about him,he was the best student in chemistry and a whiz kid in other subject and debate competition, He was also the health prefect,the athletic club captain and the best footballer.

Wole solade---- Jimi brother 2nd born,bad boy of the family.

Femi solade---- eldest brother his stays in UK and only appears once in the book.

Mr and Mrs solade---- There parent.

Ansa Izaegbegbe---- jimi friend,schoolmate and next door neighbour.

Nene Ekpo---- Friend to jimi and ansa,they have been friend since primary days and live on the same street.

Caro ---- Jim girl.

Mr Mallum---- The principal.

Efua Coker---- The new girl that joined them in SS3.nickname ‘The Witch' because she hardly spoke to anyone.

Funmi --- Efua's mother.

Aunt Moni---- Niece to Efua coker.

Mrs Obange---- Efua former principal, a larger woman with a gruff,friendly voice.

St. Catherine---- Efua former school,in Abuja an all girls boarding school.

Mr Van---- Physics Teacher.

Jolly---- He was a big boy,an arts student, he liked wearing chains on his trousers...

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by napoleonbaba(m): 3:30pm On Dec 15, 2014
Ridhwan1:

6, Any ilorin aspirant in the building....? *think we sud start rolling it frm here..lol*

Yes...political science
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 18, 2014
your questions are well appreciated.

Tnks

1. If you did not offer IRK in your O'Level then which subject did you offer? I think we should start from there.

Yea...tnx 4 ur concerns. I registerred nd offered it as a lone candidate in the whole exam centre. Out was the results months later only to be given the heaviest shock of my life....whre i was supposed to have 'A1' (Yes! A1 cos i knew d level of commitment i dischaged on it....OOr at least any grade), 'Absent' in capital letters was rightly placed in front of my IRS exam; exam i did under a scorshing supervision of at least 5 officials!
At times whn i think of this, i feel like trowing up a legal litigation against the examination's body, (*yawn*) but for the present state of our judiciary system..*shrud*
So, since the rest exams grades were considerably okay, so, i did not think retaking it as worthy course. (never knew it would, today, turn a co-determinant for a course!)

NB: im sorry for the late respond...
You're welcom
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 18, 2014
naijaboiy:

Good afternoon...your questions are well appreciated.

1. If you did not offer IRK in your O'Level then which subject did you offer? I think we should start from

cool
there.

Yea...tnx 4 ur concerns. I registerred nd offered it as a lone candidate in the whole exam centre. Out was the results months later only to be given the heaviest shock of my life....whre i was supposed to have 'A1' (Yes! A1 cos i knew d level of commitment i dischaged on it....OOr at least any grade), 'Absent' in capital letters was rightly placed in front of my IRS exam; exam i did under a scorshing supervision of at least 5 officials!
At times whn i think of this, i feel like trowing up a legal litigation against the examination's body, (*yawn*) but for the present state of our judiciary system..*shrud*
So, since the rest exams grades were considerably okay, so, i did not think retaking it as worthy course. (never knew it would, today, turn a co-determinant for a course!)

NB: im sorry for the late respond...
You're welcom
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by strongelink36(m): 7:22pm On Dec 18, 2014
Jennimma:

there is no difference. They are both the same thing. Like i said earlier "shifting stress occurs on words that function both as noun and as an adjective."
ok thanks alot.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by handdymee: 11:29pm On Jan 10, 2015
FOR JAMB UTME PAST CBT EXAMS, JAMB UTME CBT PRACTICE AND PREPARATION EXAMS, VISIT

http://www.test.majestyconsults.com/public/code/tce_user_registration.php

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECTION... START NOW
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 18, 2015
But is there no way to get this composory text either in pdf or anyform online?@jennima
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by marvmurphy(m): 7:40am On Mar 06, 2015
Jennimma:
Also endeavour to buy and read the two literature books. Its usually 30 question and it is compulsory for every student both science and art inclined.

1. The Potters Wheel and
2. The Successors by Jerry Agada.

U have done such a great work without any reward? I'm astonished.... I pray that God will reward u in million ways IJN. Amen
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by johnpaul1101(m): 8:42pm On Mar 07, 2015
where is everyone?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by 0micheal735: 7:38pm On Mar 25, 2015
Tankz boss follow the tread and I scored above 200 without jamb tutorial really appreciate you service. Will be expecting more from you during utme
Tankz Nairaland
Chief admin and co
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Tony142: 7:11pm On Feb 08, 2018
pls can i have your facebook ursername I wanna ask u something
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Tony142: 7:14pm On Feb 08, 2018
5. PROXIMITY CONCORD
Proximity means closeness/nearness. Here,the verb agrees with the subject that is nearest to it. This happens in sentences with two or more subjects.
Eg: Either the chief or his subjects pay taxes.
Or
Either the subjects or the chief pays taxes.
Note: the verbs in the above sentences are 'pay' and 'pays.' In the first sentence,the verb 'pay' agrees with 'his subjects' while in the 2nd, the verb 'pays' agrees with 'the chief.'

More examples:
a. Neither the teacher nor the students play football {prox.concord is students}
b. Neither the students nor the teacher plays football.
Note: 'students' and 'play', 'teacher' and 'plays'

c. No one except the teachers use the toilet
d. No one except the teacher uses the toilet.
Note: 'teachers' and 'use', 'teacher' and 'uses'

e. He is the boy who plays for us.
f. He is one of the boys who play for us.
Note: 'boy' and 'plays', 'boys' and 'play'
pls can i have your facebook ursername I
wanna ask u something
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Tony142: 7:21pm On Feb 08, 2018
ORAL FORMS

The test of oral forms will also be in the multiple choice format. Elements to be tested will include the following:
a. Vowels
b. Consonants
c. Stress
d. Intonation

Today,we shall learn STRESS(Word Stress)
l will b taking this year jamb, i have problem in English lang. Especially the Oral English aspect, pls can u recommend a good Oral english textbook for me?? Pls drop ur facebook username too, i will like to chat u up, thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB Orders All Institutions To End 2017 Admissions January 25 / Laspotech Fulltime Nd Provisional Admission List Out / jamb 2017 2018 admission into all Nigeria universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.