Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,019 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim (4671 Views)

URGENT PLS!!! Toyota Camry 04 Tyre/rim Increase / Alloy Rim 4 Car Restoration. / What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by oyoman(m): 10:45am On Nov 27, 2014
HELLO NAIRALANDERS,
Pls, I need someone to explain to me the major difference between alloy rim and the ordinary rim especially in terms of safety or any other application to the vehicle.
thank you
Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by AutosBay(m): 10:59am On Nov 27, 2014
Normal wheels are made from a pressed-steel rim, and a pressed-steel centre disc which is welded to the rim. They are cheap, but heavy and generally unattractive, and they are prone to rust. In an impact they tend to bend, sometimes making it possible to continue driving after a serious impact (but at greater risk, so drive carefully).
Alloy wheels are made from aluminium alloy, usually cast but sometimes forged. Most are made in one piece, but some can be made of three separate parts bolted together at the rim (lots of tiny bolts around the wheel rim). They are generally more attractive, lighter and less prone to rust. Cast wheels can fracture in a severe impact.
The light weight can give benefits in roadholding and handling because of the reduced unsprung mass of the wheel assembly. This means the wheel needs less energy to move in response to bumps, so improving the ride and keeping the tyre in contact with the road surface for a greater time. However this benefit can be lost if the wheel is bigger than the standard, or the suspension is stiffened from standard.

3 Likes

Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by abatically(m): 3:39pm On Nov 27, 2014
AutosBay:
Normal wheels are made from a pressed-steel rim, and a pressed-steel centre disc which is welded to the rim. They are cheap, but heavy and generally unattractive, and they are prone to rust. In an impact they tend to bend, sometimes making it possible to continue driving after a serious impact (but at greater risk, so drive carefully).
Alloy wheels are made from aluminium alloy, usually cast but sometimes forged. Most are made in one piece, but some can be made of three separate parts bolted together at the rim (lots of tiny bolts around the wheel rim). They are generally more attractive, lighter and less prone to rust. Cast wheels can fracture in a severe impact.
The light weight can give benefits in roadholding and handling because of the reduced unsprung mass of the wheel assembly. This means the wheel needs less energy to move in response to bumps, so improving the ride and keeping the tyre in contact with the road surface for a greater time. However this benefit can be lost if the wheel is bigger than the standard, or the suspension is stiffened from standard.

I almost hit the like button but found this.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20070105062709AANTH0a

Copy and paste.

7 Likes

Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by chucky234(m): 5:47pm On Nov 27, 2014
abatically:

I almost hit the like button but found this.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20070105062709AANTH0a

Copy and paste.
Badt boy
Autosbay copy 99% of his posts from the internet, crosscheck his posts if in doubt.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 28, 2014
chucky234:
Badt boy
Autosbay copy 99% of his posts from the internet, crosscheck his posts if in doubt.

While I'm not sure of the percentage but I have learned to dismiss that userid due to a rather large volume of cut and paste editorials.

I come to a forum to read first hand experiences from users and not just a rehash of data that is cut and pasted from the web.

1 Like

Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by oyoman(m): 7:46am On Nov 28, 2014
Thanks every body,
Which ever way, he has searched for the information and has passed it accross

1 Like

Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by aieromon(m): 12:33pm On Nov 28, 2014
chucky234:
Badt boy

Gaddemit!

1 Like

Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 28, 2014
oyoman:
Thanks every body,
Which ever way, he has searched for the information and has passed it accross

You're part of the nigerian problem.

As long as you got what you wanted you don't care from whom it was stolen.

4 Likes

Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by oyoman(m): 5:23pm On Nov 28, 2014
No, not like that
the message is that he has tried to solve someone's problem although he supposed to acknowledge the owner of the message

1 Like

Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 28, 2014
oyoman:
No, not like that
the message is that he has tried to solve someone's problem although he supposed to acknowledge the owner of the message

He's not only supposed to, it's required.

Don't continue to minimize and support plagiarism.

1 Like

Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by mikkyphp(m): 7:02pm On Nov 28, 2014
CityNG:

He's not only supposed to, it's required.

Don't continue to minimize and support plagiarism.
Autosbay, AKA linda Ikeji grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by starlingbawa(m): 8:53pm On Nov 29, 2014
CityNG:

You're part of the nigerian problem.

As long as you got what you wanted you don't care from whom it was stolen.

It's no big deal. Plagiarism or not the bottom line is that veritable information has been passed on that I too didn't realise until now.

Now I clearly don't see how it's a Nigerian problem.

Perhaps, you ought to tell us why you perceive it as being a Nigerian problem?
Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 29, 2014
starlingbawa:

It's no big deal. Plagiarism or not the bottom line is that veritable information has been passed on that I too didn't realise until now.

It's not my job to educate you.

Apply yourself and you'll figure it out sooner or later.

It's really a big deal and I am shocked that you would say that it's not. You wrote with great intelligence and I continue to be shocked that with your level of intellect you do not see the issue here.
Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by Nobody: 6:25am On Nov 30, 2014
starlingbawa:

It is a very big deal. Plagiarism is a big offence which is not taken lightly. U might think this is just an online forum and nobody gives a shyt, but let this write up go international, or his write up gets lots of hit an becomes popular, that is the time u will see the original author surface and next thing will be a law suit. If u are a blogger u will understand what I'm saying. This is the same thing that happened to Linda ikeji . we should start taking plagiarism very seriously in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 30, 2014
greenhulk:

It is a very big deal. Plagiarism is a big offence which is not taken lightly. U might think this is just an online forum and nobody gives a shyt, but let this write up go international, or his write up gets lots of hit an becomes popular, that is the time u will see the original author surface and next thing will be a law suit. If u are a blogger u will understand what I'm saying. This is the same thing that happened to Linda ikeji . we should start taking plagiarism very seriously in Nigeria.

Especially since all that needed to be done was to insert "quotes" and link the source.
Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by starlingbawa(m): 8:05am On Nov 30, 2014
greenhulk:

Point well said and then I agree with your constructive write up no doubt.

Plagiarism is bad and should be discouraged at all cost. This I also agree with but then I was only trying to emphasise that very useful information had been passed on from the OP to ignorant folks myself inclusive although he did wrong by not quoting the 'ORIGINAL' source of the information.

Thanks all the same and have a great day.
Re: Alloy Rim Vs Normal Rim by Export1: 1:42pm On Dec 01, 2014
What is the difference between alloy and steel wheels?

Traditionally most car wheels were made of steel. They were durable and looked presentable. But in the world of motor sport this was not enough and alloy wheels are the order of the day. Alloy wheels are different to steel wheels in a number of ways including:

They are made of an alloy of aluminium or magnesium, and sometimes even both
They tend to have greater strength compared to weight, than steel wheels
Alloy wheels have greater heat conduction
A possible problem is that alloy wheels can be more vulnerable in a fire
Tuning enthusiasts like them because of their look and connection with motor sport
Could contribute to improved vehicle handling
Put simply alloy wheels deliver all the strength of steel wheels but with lighter weight, which in turn is always a bonus for performance.

(1) (Reply)

Car Culture - Black Bike/Beach Week / Converting A Toyota Corolla UK Model From RHD To LHD / Lamborghini, Ferrari: A Rare Peek Inside The Factories Where They Are Born.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.