Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,290 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Why Immigrate, If You're Doing Great? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Immigrate, If You're Doing Great? (3605 Views)

Cameroonian Nairalander Wanting To Immigrate To Nigeria.. Please Advice / Which Country Do You Wanna Immigrate To, And Why? / Which Is The Best Place To Immigrate To, Uk, Usa, Canada, Australia And Europe ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Immigrate, If You're Doing Great? by justwise(m): 7:39am On Dec 07, 2014
Nigayoyo:

Please tell us how much you pay as tax i.e. tax deducted by your state and your county from your monthly income (we just need the percentage). And also the tax included when you buy anything at the groceries or anywhere in Canada. Thanks!

How good it is in Nigeria where you don't pay those taxes? Each time topic like this comes up people keep going on about how much tax people pay in US, the UK etc....but that is what make those countries better than Nigeria..

Tax money pays for their free and quality education (which we pay millions a year to them to get their certificate), free health care, quality social amenities.

Now tell me how good its in tax-free Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Why Immigrate, If You're Doing Great? by blank(f): 9:46am On Dec 07, 2014
justwise:

How good it is in Nigeria where you don't pay those taxes? Each time topic like this comes up people keep going on about how much tax people pay in US, the UK etc....but that is what make those countries better than Nigeria..

Tax money pays for their free and quality education (which we pay millions a year to them to get their certificate), free health care, quality social amenities.

Now tell me how good its in tax-free Nigeria.

The thing is, even if Nigeria's tax is 90% effective tax, we won't still have all those social amenities as the money will be going to few people's personal accounts. Nigeria is messed up. I know someone who works in Exxon Mobil and still played the American lottery till it ended.

I feel sorry for my kids sometimes cos i just keep thinking how much worse Nigeria can get.

4 Likes

Re: Why Immigrate, If You're Doing Great? by justwise(m): 11:19am On Dec 07, 2014
blank:

The thing is, even if Nigeria's tax is 90% effective tax, we won't still have all those social amenities as the money will be going to few people's personal accounts. Nigeria is messed up. I know someone who works in Exxon Mobil and still played the American lottery till it ended.

I feel sorry for my kids sometimes cos i just keep thinking how much worse Nigeria can get.

Absolutely true, couldn't have said it any better.

1 Like

Re: Why Immigrate, If You're Doing Great? by ow11(m): 12:12pm On Dec 07, 2014
For those students, professional beggars and 'help me pay my rent' commentators, Nigeria is not a tax free country... VAT is 5% on every consumable and people who work for government and private establishments pay an effective tax of around 15% for those than earn around 1.2m per annum.

In civilized countries, taxes are used to support the vulnerable in the society and people hardly see a need to make welfare phone calls to benefactors for basic necessities. In Nigeria, if a civil servant computes how much his net pay comes to after paying the 'small PAYE tax' , welfare handouts and payments for a dysfunctional state( generator, broken down car due to bad roads, shake down by government agents and black market fuel), he might not have up to 30% of the salary to take care of his needs and that of his nuclear family.

Given the options available to tax payers in a civilized society, it is a good idea to want to relocate especially if one seeks to live in peace and make a honest wage. For those that want to join the hammer line, of course they won't want to but will still have their babies abroad and send them to school abroad while ranting about how terrible the racist foreign countries are and how amazing living in Nigeria is.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Where Can I Get Kaduna Bus Park In Lagos / Study In Latvia �� �� Question & Answer / Nigeria On Google Maps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.