Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,021 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

In The Name Of The Father - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In The Name Of The Father (763 Views)

Jesus Christ Is The Father Of My Baby, Pregnant Tean Claims. / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "I And The Father Are One" In John 10:30? / The Trinity - The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit Explained? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

In The Name Of The Father by ajadrage: 11:59am On Nov 30, 2008
In a time such as this, where developmental objectives has been identified and and possible road maps whereby such objectives can be met are being brainstormed over by all well meaning citizens, it beats my imagination hollow that those who should be at the fore front are behaving like the proverbial ostrich, hiding their heads in the sand while exposing the greater parts of their body, chiefly the hind quarters.

This piece, rather than harboring any untoward intentions towards individual faith based belief systems, is intended at making an appeal to those in authority to divorce officialdom from personal sentiments and pet ideologies. Personally, I really do not believe that all those who make believe that their holy than thou attitude would earn them a place at the banquet hall of the great feast of redeemed mankind fully grasp the tenets of the teachings handed down to humanity by individuals who were to have existed today would distance themselves far away from the activities of the new holy men and women who straddle the corridors of power within the Nigerian socioeconomic and political terrain.

It has become some sort of unofficial competition the way that these folks have sought to outdo themselves in their superficial show of righteousness, amassing awards and recognition, making us ordinary folks feel that were salvation to be measured by human standards, any chance at us making the list would be near impossible.

What am I talking about? Well, that government officials, presumably elected to provide the very barest necessities for poor, impoverished citizens who are most in need of the states presence in their lives have turned to identifying most with constituencies that hold no significance with the true relevance of their positions. That official office hours have been transformed to prayer sessions and that even standard protocol have somewhat found a way to accommodate the personal idiosyncrasies of individual leaders claiming one sort of religious ideology or the other.

The hypocrisy here is obviously glaring as their actions both in office and out of it have fallen far short of the minimum expected from true adherents of these faiths. From independence till date, we have had the opportunities of witnessing our leaders openly flaunt their religious affiliations, meanwhile, their lifestyle reek of corruption, perverse sexual appetites, bad governance, insensitivity and a total lack of rationality that belies the intellectual capabilities of humankind. Or how else does one explain the current state of the nation, underdeveloped, disoriented and disjointed in every ramification? This is a situation that has bedeviled the developmental aspirations of sane folks around and it is a rot that has eaten deep into every strata of leadership in every sector of this unfortunate nation.

The fact that these guys have shrouded their crimes with robes of religious hypocrisy is evident given the zeal at which we find them running to give thanks giving at every given opportunity, whether to give thanks at successfully manipulating electoral results or to give thanks after managing a feat of embezzlement that would make one cringe at the size or maybe for obtaining a piece of choice property in one of the Western Metropoles of the world, because we have been told recently that some of our own saintly officials have fashioned out their own unique and special response to the financial crisis by buying up choice properties in these cities in Europe and America. When would all these deceit end.

One never would have bothered with making any bones about these incidents as it is our belief that salvation is personal and that each and every one, some fateful day would ultimately answer some questions about our conduct while on terra firma's sphere of existence. But when one reads that some 300 Million Naira is expected to be generated for the construction of a church building for the National Assembly (Vanguard, Saturday November 29, 2008, Page 5), one is duty bound to raise some issues. With the names of personalities such as the Vice President, the Senate President and certain State Governors mentioned, it is not too far fetched to expect that this target amount would be realized and probably exceeded as the roll call of expected donors include the money moguls of society.

300 Million, for a church in Apo quarters, would the poor be allowed entry to worship in this church? Okay, maybe they would, but how would this venture contribute to the increased spirituality of individuals and if it does, would this translate to better legislating, I seriously doubt, not when some of these guys are doing their best possible to hide under the carpet a scandal that makes the Ettehgate incident look like mere childs play.

Not to deviate too far from these issues, I would expect that a 300 Million naira church fund is far from achieving the "love thy neighbor as thyself" doctrine that religions propagate. How many projects around the country are in dire need of such an injection of funds? Would it not be of more relevance if these funds are channeled towards the execution of projects that would make meaning to the lives of real people and not some artificially hallowed egos of those who claim a monopoly of ecclesiastic knowledge?

One is no expert at road construction, but I cannot help but to wonder how many kilometres of road that this amount can construct. At least I know what it cost to build a bore hole, at the cost of 200,000 Naira per drill, 300 Million Naira would drill 1,500 bore holes, imagine 1,500 communities having access to portable water supply. A classroom block would not exceed 1 Million Naira, or scholarships for the training of manpower. A`30,000 Naira scholarship per student would sponsor 10,000 students for an entire academic session! Think of the ripple effects on the family who has gotten a weight lifted off their shoulders or the contribution that beneficiary would make to society. What other infrastructure can be put in place by such an amount of money in areas of health, amenities, security, does one glorified house of worship hold more significance than the truly lofty ideals of rendering help and assistance to those who are most in need?

I stumbled on the Vanguard`Newspapers of Friday, November 9, 2007 where the President of the Republic reportedly presented the 2008 budget, if my memory serves me right, this same budget was passed finally just a while ago, who were those responsible for this? Definitely not the streetside saloon lady who has been left with no electricity to conduct her business and I know that she constantly laments her fate to the hearing of this same God whom these holy government people claim to be want to impress. Now where will justice lie?

I apologize if by this write up some sensibilities have been offended, but methinks that if these folks want to carry on with their claim of spiritual accomplishments, they should at least endeavor to have the proverbial "brother" in mind and make the effort to cater for his needs.

Every one has a right to decide how to expend capital irrespective of the way that it was accumulated (at least our experience as Nigerians has corroborated the notion that anything goes in this society of ours), but the but still needs to be sounded as spirituality will not be measured by the grandiose of physical structures and architectural masterpieces which sinful man erects to prove to his creator that he is indeed a true reflection of the divine almighty. The ancient Israelites knew too well that the Lord had departed from his sanctuary of bricks even when they continued to offer their burnt offerings, in fact, the Lord caused the once grand temple to become desolate due to the abominable ways of his chosen people. When the heart is decadent, the entire being becomes lost.

Were this to be a sane society, the reported church bazaar would not be for the launching of a 300 Million fund for soothing and massaging egos that have identified the moral and ethical vacuum in their conduct, rather it would be a forum where our esteemed lawmakers would be lambasted for their failure at performing their constitutional duties expected of them by the people. But what can one say when we have self styled men of God compromising the standards of worship for filthy lucre like the servant of Elisha?

Only God can help Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Fear Is A Trap Of Destiny! / The Conspiracy Is Against God -ask God What To Do / Who Has Seen The Gate Guarded By The Angels With Flashing Swords?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.