Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,874 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? (21956 Views)

Is Intelligence Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? / Test Your Intelligence quotient / Improve Your Intelligence Quotient (IQ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by baby124: 3:25pm On Nov 29, 2014
Vicel:
Well! I believe intelligence is from within n d kind of information we got exposed to at d tender age. dats environmental factor

Intelligence quotient is a different tin all togeda wic is due to d word "Quotient" which means 'The number obtained by d division of one number by d other'.
In theory intelligence quotient is measured by d skillful way of thinking, level of accuracy maintained n d ability to solve simple bt thought breaking analogy questions. This questions or test is set based on a specific age limit which shows also dat "IQ" is also Dependent on "AGE".

Though I ve 4gotten Hw to do d division to arrive at ones IQ BT I still remember sum tin abt d age multiplied by d number of question able to answer so is d oda divisor am not so sure of. BT I knw of great organizations DAT sort 4 pple wit exceptional 'IQ' d likes of MENSA...

Now my point is at any age 1 can still show prudence n competence in all ramisification even if dere IQ is below average if dey could make d decision to become Smart n sort 4 information.

Lastly I would like to say Intelligence is needed BT wisdom would make u accomplished in life. So don't marry Doctor who thinking u would gve birth to genius babies. I knw of a frnd whose mum is a business Woman n he get A's in his courses n few B's to reduce d casualties BT bet me sum professors children get d oda letters as dere grades in dsame class...
The fact that his mother is a business woman may mean she did not have opportunity. It does not mean she is not intelligent, even more so than the so called professors. Do you think being successful in a business does not require intelligence?
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by baby124: 3:28pm On Nov 29, 2014
Kingrapha:

tell dat to people who grew up in poor background and bad learning environment yet are very brainy

reason to this if cancer is hereditary and has to do with the growth of cells..
then it is very possible for increased brain cell mitosis to be inherited either from father or mother

p.s einstien had no kids.......
Some cancers may be genetic. But cancer can happen to anyone. It is not specific to anyone. Cancer comes as a result of environment, food and the cells of the body just going haywire. Anyone can have cancer. From a feotus to an old person. It's just God's Grace on most of us.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by nosike3(m): 3:32pm On Nov 29, 2014
My name is shekau and I am a terrorist!
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Kingrapha(m): 3:34pm On Nov 29, 2014
baby124:

Some cancers may be genetic. But cancer can happen to anyone. It is not specific to anyone. Cancer comes as a result of environment, food and the cells of the body just going haywire. Anyone can have cancer. From a feotus to an old person. It's just God's Grace on most of us.

cancer is hereditary ...... I suggest you go check your sources .....
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by nickz(m): 3:36pm On Nov 29, 2014
sukkot:
intelligence is not inherited. intelligence is spiritual
my dads wordssmiley
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by tpia5: 3:37pm On Nov 29, 2014
It is laziness on the part of the parent to ascribe intelligence to either one of them instead of taking definitive steps to encourage the child's learning.

2 Likes

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by maajin007(m): 3:38pm On Nov 29, 2014
sukkot:
intelligence is not inherited. intelligence is spiritual
explain please
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by jessiecah(f): 3:41pm On Nov 29, 2014
nkpommpko:
yes na, you go gree that one quick quick.

lol, yeah the truth is bitter grin
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by 50calibre(m): 3:42pm On Nov 29, 2014
Kingrapha:

tell dat to people who grew up in poor background and bad learning environment yet are very brainy

reason to this if cancer is hereditary and has to do with the growth of cells..
then it is very possible for increased brain cell mitosis to be inherited either from father or mother

p.s einstien had no kids.......

Seems like you don't read or comprehend too well, because my comments covered all possibilities.

Einstein had no kids, fine!! What of Da Vinci, Darwin, Hawking, Archemedes, Feynman, Carl Sagan... Where are their kids, or didn't they have kids too?
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by 50calibre(m): 3:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
majekdom2:
understand there are recessive and dominant genes, that's why some short parents can have tall kids , that's recessive . It may be same with intelligence too. You are a product of the genes passed from both parents one can't say if its maternal or paternal.

Correct!! Which if you had taken the time to read my comment, could have seen i was also saying.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by LouisVanGaal(m): 3:44pm On Nov 29, 2014
gracile:
Please, I need the biochemistry, medical, biology students and those in associated fields in the house to help me throw more light on this

I browsed it earlier but I'm not satisfied with the results I got.

Your comments are highly appreciated. Thanks.
OP, it's mostly from the maternal side 70%:30%..during my service last year, a colleague of mine then was telling us a story abt hw his Prof @ UNN was advising young guys abt the quality of women they shud marry and gave illustration using a fellow prof in d same UNN who married an illiterate sort of...he went forward stating that his friend is frustrated man nw, that there's nothing that he hasn't done to make his children go to school @ least to university level...but they don't just have the brain.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Kingrapha(m): 3:48pm On Nov 29, 2014
50calibre:

Seems like you don't read or comprehend too well, because my comments covered all possibilities.

Einstein had no kids, fine!! What of Da Vinci, Darwin, Hawking, Archemedes, Feynman, Carl Sagan... Where are their kids, or didn't they have kids too?

TRUE sha ........

#tho intelligence is hereditary. they just had dull wives grin
50calibre:

TRUE sha ........

#tho intelligence is hereditary. they just had dull wives
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by baby124: 3:49pm On Nov 29, 2014
Kingrapha:

cancer is hereditary ...... I suggest you go check your sources .....
Cancer is not hereditary. Only very few and rare ones are. I suggest you go and do proper research.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by 50calibre(m): 3:51pm On Nov 29, 2014
baby124:
It is inherited from both parents. The male because the sperm comes from him. The male is 70%. The female, 30% because women nurture these kids. So an intelligent mother will bring out a child's potential. But the intelligence comes from the man. Why do you think by nature women chase after successful men It's both for security and to ensure survival of offspring through the right genetic make up. Inherited intelligence increases the chances of survival in our prehistoric times.

I watched something about intelligent sperm donors a few days ago. These sperm donors donated their sperm to women in an experiment. They were the top 1% as per intelligence. The kids are all very intelligent.

Your comments are bold, reckless & fallacious at best. You speak so sure on a subject genetic scientists themselves are not so sure of.

There's still on going research on this subject, everything known or assumed today, is still dis-provable. When science seems to have answered the question, then comes one or more cases which completely throws the whole theory into doubt.

First: A man's sperm doesn't contribute 70% of anything, (I don't know where you got that from) a man gives 50% a woman gives 50%, that's 23 chromosomes apiece.

Now the question is which of the se*x chromosomes are linked to intelligence? Men are XY, women are XX

As for those running after genius sperm donors Lool that's the sperm bank industry thriving off a common misconception. There's no solid science to back up that belief.

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by baby124: 3:53pm On Nov 29, 2014
LouisVanGaal:
OP, it's mostly from the maternal side 70%:30%..during my service last year, a colleague of mine then was telling us a story abt hw his Prof @ UNN was advising young guys abt the quality of women they shud marry and gave illustration using a fellow prof in d same UNN who married an illiterate sort of...he went forward stating that his friend is frustrated man nw, that there's nothing that he hasn't done to make his children go to school @ least to university level...but they don't just have the brain.
That is what nurture causes not nature or genetics. Some illiterate women that only sold puff puff to raise their children alone have doctors, lawyers and engineers scattered all over the world. It is how the mother raises them plus intelligence from the man. Also some very intelligent people have genes they pass which may make their kids dyslexic. It doesn't mean they are dull, in fact they are very intelligent. But they do not and can not learn the way regular people do. A country like Nigeria does not have the facilities to take care of people with learning disabilities so they are termed as dull.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by 50calibre(m): 3:53pm On Nov 29, 2014
Kingrapha:

TRUE sha ........

#tho intelligence is hereditary. they just had dull wives grin

TRUE sha ........

#tho intelligence is hereditary. they just had dull wives

Now you're talking! That's a very plausible explanation. Women contribute a lot to a child's intelligence than most people are aware of
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by baby124: 3:56pm On Nov 29, 2014
50calibre:

Your comments are bold, reckless & fallacious at best. You speak so sure on a subject genetic scientists themselves are not so sure of.

There's still in going research on this subject, everything known or assumed today, is still dis-provable. When science seems to have answered the question, then comes one or more cases which completely throws the whole theory into doubt.

First: A man's sperm doesn't contribute 70% of anything, (I don't know where you got that from) a man gives 50% a woman gives 50%, that's 23 chromosomes apiece.

Now the question is which of the se*x chromosomes are linked to intelligence? Men are XY, women are XX
I am not here to spend time telling stories on NL as I have a life outside of Nl. But research has shown that men provide most of the genetic makeup when it comes to intelligence. Women who go to sperm banks only choose top of the range sperm based on intelligence for a reason. A documentary was even done on it and all the offspring of intelligent men were all intelligent. The women were average or below. How do you explain that It was even on CNN
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 29, 2014
I did a google search and this was the sources conclusion:

Conclusion From the examples above, and similar cases in the literature, we contend that, a human being is not merely a slave to his genes. Human life can be compared to a game of cards. At birth, every person is dealt a hand of cards — his genetic make-up. Some receive a good hand, others a less good one. Success in any game, however, is almost always a matter of erudition. It is undeniably so that there are often certain innate qualities that will give one person an advantage over another in a specific game. However, without having learned the game and without regular and rigorous practice, nobody will ever become a champion at any game. In the same way the outcome of the game of life is not solely determined by the quality of a person's initial hand of cards, but also by the way in which he takes part in the game of life. His ability to take part in the game of life satisfactorily, perhaps even successfully, will be determined to a very large extent by the quality and quantity of education that he has enjoyed.

Read up for full tale :http://iq-test.learninginfo.org/iq03.htm

Another article from the dailyMail suggests 40% of IQ is inherited from both parents :http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2293861/Thank-parents-youre-smart-Up-40-childs-intelligence-inherited-researchers-claim.html

I believe all these are just research ,its not yet theory ,a lot of inconclusive stuff flying around ,an intelligent spouse will serve as a kids first teacher if IQ aint hereditary
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Vivipop(f): 4:03pm On Nov 29, 2014
I have always wondered how and why i look a lot like my dad and yet when it comes to brains,my mum alone did justice to that.( I was opportuned to see their(dad and mum)academic results,dad wasn't that great like mum smiley ) I conducted a lone research.I made a list of 35 families,20 were from extended family and I knew them all well,15 were from friends. At the end,I noticed a trend: Everything been equal(no miscarrages or abortions),the first child in a family takes the brains of the mother(wether male or female),if the first child is a girl,she takes the look of the father and the brains of the mother,if it is a boy,he looks more like the mother and with her brains too. One in ten disobeys this trend,every other subsequent child is more or less a game of dice.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by 50calibre(m): 4:04pm On Nov 29, 2014
baby124:

I am not here to spend time telling stories on NL as I have a life outside of Nl. But research has shown that men provide most of the genetic makeup when it comes to intelligence. Women who go to sperm banks only choose top of the range sperm based on intelligence for a reason. A documentary was even done on it and all the offspring of intelligent men were all intelligent. The women were average or below. How do you explain that It was even on CNN

Show me that research.

The fact many women are running after genius sperm doesn't mean a genius sperm guarantees intelligence & I'm sure the sperm bank will tell you that.

For all we know, that's the sperm donation industry is thriving off a common misconception. They place huge price tags on these genius sperm & gullible women fork out loads to cash to get it with hope of birthing the next Einstein lol.

As for those giving birth to genius kids from genius sperms, that's explainable. Some of those women are unaware that themselves are carrying (either a dominant or recessive) intelligence gene.

Women contribute more to intelligence than men.

@the bolded, that's a complete lie. Show the that documentary. Even the sperm banks won't make such claims.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by sukkot: 4:07pm On Nov 29, 2014
maajin007:
explain please
well your flesh is just a piece of meat ( i hate to put it so graphically but thats all it is ). we are just like animals but we are higher animals because our spirit is living. the spirit is where all the intelligence is. the brain is just like a computer monitor that reflects what is in the spirit. you do not inherit your spirit from your parents, all you inherit is the flesh. i can go deeper but i think this depth of explanation will suffice.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Ishilove: 4:21pm On Nov 29, 2014
sukkot:
well your flesh is just a piece of meat ( i hate to put it so graphically but thats all it is ). we are just like animals but we are higher animals because our spirit is living. the spirit is where all the intelligence is. the brain is just like a computer monitor that reflects what is in the spirit. you do not inherit your spirit from your parents, all you inherit is the flesh. i can go deeper but i think this depth of explanation will suffice.
Don't even start, obadiah angry
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Ishilove: 4:24pm On Nov 29, 2014
Mrkuvuki:
I did a google search and this was the sources conclusion:

Conclusion From the examples above, and similar cases in the literature, we contend that, a human being is not merely a slave to his genes. Human life can be compared to a game of cards. At birth, every person is dealt a hand of cards — his genetic make-up. Some receive a good hand, others a less good one. Success in any game, however, is almost always a matter of erudition. It is undeniably so that there are often certain innate qualities that will give one person an advantage over another in a specific game. However, without having learned the game and without regular and rigorous practice, nobody will ever become a champion at any game. In the same way the outcome of the game of life is not solely determined by the quality of a person's initial hand of cards, but also by the way in which he takes part in the game of life. His ability to take part in the game of life satisfactorily, perhaps even successfully, will be determined to a very large extent by the quality and quantity of education that he has enjoyed.

Read up for full tale :http://iq-test.learninginfo.org/iq03.htm

Another article from the dailyMail suggests 40% of IQ is inherited from both parents :http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2293861/Thank-parents-youre-smart-Up-40-childs-intelligence-inherited-researchers-claim.html

I believe all these are just research ,its not yet theory ,a lot of inconclusive stuff flying around ,an intelligent spouse will serve as a kids first teacher if IQ aint hereditary
So it is possible for two 'dull' parents to give birth to a genius?
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by sukkot: 4:26pm On Nov 29, 2014
maajin007:
explain please
having said all that, the brain can also play a tiny part in intelligence. if your brain is malnourished then your brain cannot reflect the intelligence that is in your spirit properly. you cant eat garri 3 times a day and expect to be intelligent.

the point being intelligence has absolutely nothing to do with your parents. its dependent on the health of your brain and the spirit in you. i can go deeper on the spirit but i know many dont like listening to celestial knowledge
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Ishilove: 4:26pm On Nov 29, 2014
LouisVanGaal:
Lmao!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by sukkot: 4:26pm On Nov 29, 2014
Ishilove:

Don't even start, obadiah angry
wink Ishi watagwan wiff youuu
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Vicel: 4:32pm On Nov 29, 2014
baby124:

The fact that his mother is a business woman may mean she did not have opportunity. It does not mean she is not intelligent, even more so than the so called professors. Do you think being successful in a business does not require intelligence?

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by sukkot: 4:36pm On Nov 29, 2014
[b]it is important to note that every intelligence that has ever been created in this world is already in your spirit.the spirit has been created equipped with all the intelligence of the universe. so when you are getting an education, what is happening is that, the education is bringing out what is already in you. education means ' to bring out '. to bring out what is already inside of you. when you learn, its just a process of reconnecting with what is already inside your spirit. so you are not learning anything new. however there is what is called spiritual blocks. intelligent people have no spiritual blockage. whatever they learn externally immediately brings them to the reconnection of what is already inside. so they are fast learners. it is a process of easy reconnection with all the knowledge in your spirit. people who are dumb have spiritual blockages. they cant reconnect and reconcile what they are learning externally with what is in their spirit because their is a block. the external information is not syncing with their spirit because of the blockage. there are many reasons why you can have this spiritual blockages but that is another topic

The word education comes from the Greek word educary which means to bring out what is within us[/b]
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by AlphaDibia(m): 4:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
ShakurM:
You so wrong bruh. Comment with facts not what you feel like.

Please sir, explain what's wrong with the statement? Or better yet, you can explain how genes work at the molecular level. Educate me
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by AlphaDibia(m): 4:47pm On Nov 29, 2014
adebrave1:

You sound like a biochemist are u one?

Not really. I did however did take a course on the subject

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by ShakurM(m): 4:48pm On Nov 29, 2014
AlphaDibia:

Please sir, explain what's wrong with the statement? Or better yet, you can explain how genes work at the molecular level. Educate me
im not trying to be a smart alec or show off sorta, I'm studying biomedical Engineering in Unilorin and we treated this related topic last week.
It's all in the genes......
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by AlphaDibia(m): 4:50pm On Nov 29, 2014
ShakurM:
im not trying to be a smart alec or show off sorta, I'm studying biomedical Engineering in Unilorin and we treated this related topic last week.
It's all in the genes......

I understand. Please explain how genes work. I am willing to stand corrected my guy. This na educational forum

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The Relevance Of The First School Leaving Certificate? / Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption / School Proprietor Accused Of Flinging Pupils Out Of School Bus In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.