Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,539 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:01 PM

Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? (21931 Views)

Is Intelligence Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? / Test Your Intelligence quotient / Improve Your Intelligence Quotient (IQ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by ShakurM(m): 2:42pm On Nov 29, 2014
AlphaDibia:
There are no smart genes so the question of who you got intelligence from is pure and utter rubbish. Genes work mostly in as off/on switch. Proteins are activated which then send signals to the gene which is now turned on. So my brother it depends. It depends on environmental factors, experiences, etc. The playing field ain't level for everyone.
You so wrong bruh. Comment with facts not what you feel like.

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by IAMGEJ(m): 2:42pm On Nov 29, 2014
Is gotten from 'being serious with everything you do'

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by condralbede(m): 2:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
Don't really sure...but I heard ppl say its from maternal!!
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Larryupsy: 2:46pm On Nov 29, 2014
Yes, It can be inherited,though I've seen families whose records and performance points to the facts that they have high IQ with dunce and low IQ children.IQ of individuals should be a function of parent's IQ,environment, Nutrition upbringing,so outside these factors and they still have low IQ children,then may be na spiritua matter o.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by anyaekekehinde(m): 2:46pm On Nov 29, 2014
Its from the maternal, that is why we guys cant afford to marry dull gals.
Brains BEFOR BUTT & BOOBS

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by frank043(m): 2:48pm On Nov 29, 2014
Maternal!...Case closed!!

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Chicheey: 2:48pm On Nov 29, 2014
The codon for intelligent are more from maternal since larger part of the cerebrum(70) are transferred.so the gene coding for reasoning which are mainly dominated in the cerebrum hemispere are more in maternal than paternal.Though environmental factors also plays a significant roles.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by idris4r83(m): 2:48pm On Nov 29, 2014
Both
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 29, 2014
Statistics has it that 80% of a child's intelligence is from the mother.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by holatin(m): 2:52pm On Nov 29, 2014
if u marry beautiful but unintelligent woman, then expect olodo
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by christouk: 2:57pm On Nov 29, 2014
U need a psychologist... Nt d above Mentioned
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Pavore9: 2:57pm On Nov 29, 2014
l hear it is Maternal side..hmm..maybe that is why Dora Akunyili's children are outstanding.

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 29, 2014
Both!
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by baby124: 2:58pm On Nov 29, 2014
It is inherited from both parents. The male because the sperm comes from him. The male is 70%. The female, 30% because women nurture these kids. So an intelligent mother will bring out a child's potential. But the intelligence comes from the man. Why do you think by nature women chase after successful men It's both for security and to ensure survival of offspring through the right genetic make up. Inherited intelligence increases the chances of survival in our prehistoric times.

I watched something about intelligent sperm donors a few days ago. These sperm donors donated their sperm to women in an experiment. They were the top 1% as per intelligence. The kids are all very intelligent.

2 Likes

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by haconjy(m): 3:00pm On Nov 29, 2014
last question is simple,
1, they are dating spiritual husband Or
2, their Husband is dead
3, probably, they are dating God
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Tundeajani(m): 3:02pm On Nov 29, 2014
sukkot:
intelligence is not inherited. intelligence is spiritual
fake pastor,,ole
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by sukkot: 3:03pm On Nov 29, 2014
Tundeajani:
fake pastor,,ole
na ya papa be theif. tell that old crusty niggaz called ya papa to return my generator he stole cheesy
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by slightlyMad(f): 3:05pm On Nov 29, 2014
IQ MAY not be inheritable.

factors that improve the chances of higher IQs are

1. full course breast milk
2. quality of food, vitamins consumes during the sperm and egg production
3. less noisy environment when growing up
4. cramming at a very tender age (this played a huge role in my IQ, i have an official 132)
we were forced to cram psalms 23, 24, 103, 91, 150 etc btw age 3-6, and we memorized them successfully
5. watching creative cartoon while growing up, science, playing puzzled games and word games
6. get a smart partner to help build a family, no GEJs, Larabans, okupes, mr beans, and the likes
7. expose then to technologies at a tender age, and take time to correct them of any false beliefs and tell them about the origins of stuffs
8. send them to a good school.
9. teach them to face their fears

and there you go.

5 Likes

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Ishilove: 3:06pm On Nov 29, 2014
baby124:
It is inherited from both parents. The male because the sperm comes from him. The male is 70%. The female, 30% because women nurture these kids. So an intelligent mother will bring out a child's potential. But the intelligence comes from the man. Why do you think by nature women chase after successful men It's both for security and to ensure survival of offspring through the right genetic make up. Inherited intelligence increases the chances of survival in our prehistoric times.

I watched something about intelligent sperm donors a few days ago. These sperm donors donated their sperm to women in an experiment. They were the top 1% as per intelligence. The kids are all very intelligent.
I agree. I have a friend who is academically dull (like seriously), but she married a very intelligent man. Today they have three kids. The first, a boy, is ALWAYS among the bottom 3 in his class, while the remaining two, girls, are very intelligent. The last born who is just two years old can manipulate a phone expertly and play video games.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 29, 2014
This is a factor of the genes passed and the environment you grow up in which includes good health and nutrition.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by BuddhaPalm(m): 3:07pm On Nov 29, 2014
You're better off asking this on Reddit or some dedicated forum.

Shebi someone has told you spiritual husband already. You go hearam today grin.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by 50calibre(m): 3:07pm On Nov 29, 2014
I'm not a student of any medical related field but from observation & a bit general knowledge in genetics, I can say there is no conclusive proof that intelligence in inherited.

If that we're the case, the likes of Einstein, Feynman, Hawking would all have genius kids as well. I've seen kids of very intelligent people who are dumb as rock, I've even got a professor uncle who's son is retar*ded

However it's possible that a child could inherit some intelligence genes from his progenitors (this includes his parents, grand parents, great grand parents & so on) but ultimately, the child's environment, upbringing & diet goes a long way in determining how intelligent that child will be.

Though some kids are naturally gifted, Intelligence of course doesn't always equate academic brilliance & vice versa. What matters most of the time, is how a child develops his/her brain or makes use of the intelligence trait they may have inherited.

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by nkpommpko(m): 3:08pm On Nov 29, 2014
jessiecah:
it varies, since the genes are reshuffled, but they say its mostly an acquired trait from the mother
yes na, you go gree that one quick quick.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Kingrapha(m): 3:09pm On Nov 29, 2014
op... I think you mean intelligence inherited from...........

if u say intelligence quotient it just makes the statement wrong .....

well.....back 2 the matter! it depends on the gene that is dominant and cn. b 4rm the male or female but which gene is dominant and which is recessive depends on different factors .....
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 29, 2014
slightlyMad:
IQ MAY not be inheritable.

factors that improve the chances of higher IQs are

1. full course breast milk
2. quality of food, vitamins consumes during the sperm and egg production
3. less noisy environment when growing up
4. cramming at a very tender age (this played a huge role in my IQ, i have an official 132)
we were forced to cram psalms 23, 24, 103, 91, 150 etc btw age 3-6, and we memorized them successfully
5. watching creative cartoon while growing up, science, playing puzzled games and word games
6. get a smart partner to help build a family, no GEJs, Larabans, okupes, mr beans, and the likes
7. expose then to technologies at a tender age, and take time to correct them of any false beliefs and tell them about the origins of stuffs
8. send them to a good school.
9. teach them to face their fears

and there you go.
you actually believe all this , in as much as the environment is a factor , the genes have a lot to play. I have seen children who had all this you mentioned but are still dull. Have you asked yourself why some kids from poor background are intelligent.

2 Likes

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by adebrave1(m): 3:14pm On Nov 29, 2014
AlphaDibia:
There are no smart genes so the question of who you got intelligence from is pure and utter rubbish. Genes work mostly in as off/on switch. Proteins are activated which then send signals to the gene which is now turned on. So my brother it depends. It depends on environmental factors, experiences, etc. The playing field ain't level for everyone.

You sound like a biochemist are u one?
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 29, 2014
50calibre:
I'm not a student of any medical related field but from observation & a bit general knowledge in genetics, I can say there is no conclusive proof that intelligence in inherited.

If that we're the case, the likes of Einstein, Feynman, Hawking would all have genius kids as well. I've seen kids of very intelligent people who are dumb as rock, I've even got a professor uncle who's son is retar*ded

However it's possible that a child could inherit some intelligence genes from his progenitors (this includes his parents, grand parents, great grand parents & so on) but ultimately, the child's environment, upbringing & diet goes a long way in determining how intelligent that child will be.

Though some kids are naturally gifted, Intelligence of course doesn't always equate academic brilliance & vice versa. What matters most of the time, is how a child develops his/her brain or makes use of the intelligence trait they may have inherited.
understand there are recessive and dominant genes, that's why some short parents can have tall kids , that's recessive . It may be same with intelligence too. You are a product of the genes passed from both parents one can't say if its maternal or paternal.
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Kingrapha(m): 3:20pm On Nov 29, 2014
50calibre:

tell dat to people who grew up in poor background and bad learning environment yet are very brainy

reason to this if cancer is hereditary and has to do with the growth of cells..
then it is very possible for increased brain cell mitosis to be inherited either from father or mother

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Vicel: 3:20pm On Nov 29, 2014
Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by Kei144(m): 3:24pm On Nov 29, 2014
Intelligence is inherited, especially in terms of doing well in a particular subject. The inheritance can come either from the mother or the father. For those who say that intelligence is not inherited, try to find a child of educated parents that are not good in Maths, who happens to be exceptional in Maths due to hard work.

Ask people who teach computer programming their experience with students who try everything to learn computer programming, but are not able to.

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligent Quotient (IQ) Inherited From The Maternal Or Paternal Genome? by akins56(m): 3:25pm On Nov 29, 2014
it can be from both parents, both i think its mostly from the mothers, thats why its advisable to choose brain over beauty, i don't ever want to have dull kids, because am not dull myself!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Some Things You Will Surely Find In Male Hostels. / Headmaster Sacked In Kaduna For Diverting Biscuits & Oranges / Uniport No Be School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.