Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,067 members, 7,956,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:28 AM

A/c Compressor Issue - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A/c Compressor Issue (7732 Views)

1997 Honda Accord A/C Compressor And Dryer cost / I Need A Permanent Solution To This A/C Issue. / Cost Of Maintenace Of Mercedes C Class 230 Compressor 2003 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A/c Compressor Issue by ayzone: 8:46am On Dec 01, 2014
What can be responsible for my car compressor to stop intermittently wen put on a/c system...
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by AutosBay(m): 10:10am On Dec 01, 2014
IF what I understand you are saying is, that...
There is Air blowing through the Ducts.
It is not cool air.
When you look under the hood, the Compressor is not on/working.

This is CLEARLY an "Internal Temperature Sensor" problem !

That's the Knob/Adjustment which lets you set what temperature you want.
It is bad, or, there is a unreliable connection from it to the Compressor.

One way to check this out is...
When it's not working, use a Jumper, to provide the Compressor with Voltage.
If it starts getting cool air being blown, then you have ID'd the problem positively.

This Sensor needs to be replaced, or
The wiring circuit/continuity must be checked for loose connections/voltage loss.

Route is...
Battery - Ignition Accessories - Main A/C Switch - Temperature Sensor - Compressor.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by ayzone: 12:45pm On Dec 01, 2014
AutosBay:
IF what I understand you are saying is, that...
There is Air blowing through the Ducts.
It is not cool air.
When you look under the hood, the Compressor is not on/working.

It is bad, or, there is a unreliable connection from it to the Compressor.

If it starts getting cool air being blown, then you have ID'd the problem positively.

This Sensor needs to be replaced, or
The wiring circuit/continuity must be checked for loose connections/voltage loss.

Route is...
Battery - Ignition Accessories - Main A/C Switch - Temperature Sensor - Compressor.
Thanks sir.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by zinaLPF: 10:03pm On Dec 01, 2014
I am not an expert, but it does seem to me that the previous diagnosis may be premature. Is there really enough information to give a clear diagnosis?
@ OP - what kind of car do you drive? Make, Year, Model?
How does the problem manifest? What do you think the trigger might be?

I have a Volvo with the same compressor cut out problem, except my trigger is road bumps and hard braking. Mechanics in Lagos could not figure it out, I placed one call to a service technician at a Volvo dealership in the US, and she immediately isolated the problem - a bad compressor clutch! Turns out it is a pretty common Volvo issue.

Perhaps if you give more info, the house experts can help you out.

6 Likes

Re: A/c Compressor Issue by ayzone: 1:05am On Jan 22, 2015
zinaLPF:
I am not an expert, but it does seem to me that the previous diagnosis may be premature. Is there really enough information to give a clear diagnosis?

I have a Volvo with the same compressor cut out problem, except my trigger is road bumps and hard braking. Mechanics in Lagos could not figure it out, I placed one call to a service technician at a Volvo dealership in the US, and she immediately isolated the problem - a bad compressor clutch! Turns out it is a pretty common Volvo issue.

Its corolla 03, sometimes compressor picks immediately I switch on a/c and cut off like 3 minutes after and refuses to on again. Also,compressor might not pick at all when I put on a/c.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 22, 2015
Op,
I'm having this same issue. My car is the 2007 Toyota camry SE. The compressor works immediately I start and revv the car but starts blowing hot air as soon as I move some few km. I checked the gas and noticed it's black in colour. The AC technician I called to check the car already told me the compressor is faulty.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by chimah3(m): 12:17pm On Jan 22, 2015
newtontoyo:
Op,
I'm having this same issue. My car is the 2007 Toyota camry SE. The compressor works immediately I start and revv the car but starts blowing hot air as soon as I move some few km. I checked the gas and noticed it's black in colour. The AC technician I called to check the car already told me the compressor is faulty.

Having the same issue with my camry! Exactly! The gas was black when I checkd! The mechanic told me the person that refilled the gas shud have flushed the condenser 1st...as a result of not doing so...he called it 'Virus' has affected the whole system n spoilt my compressor! So I have to change the whole system n Flush out everything! Not funny!!!
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jan 22, 2015
chimah3:

Having the same issue with my camry! Exactly! The gas was black when I checkd! The mechanic told me the person that refilled the gas shud have flushed the condenser 1st...as a result of not doing so...he called it 'Virus' has affected the whole system n spoilt my compressor! So I have to change the whole system n Flush out everything! Not funny!!!

In my own case, I bought a fairly used AC compressor and A new Condenser.the AC worked well for the first 2 months till last month when I started having this problem.i need a New AC compressor. I really want to be careful in getting one.
The technician that checked it suggested that I should have cleaned the evaporator. Don't know how true that is.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by itsmayiela(m): 5:13am On Jan 24, 2015
I am not a vehicle electrician but to a large extent i will agree with Autosbay.

I had a similar problem and what my electrician did was to change/fix the temperature relay (N500). The compressor no longer shuts down arbitrarily again.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by katordidi(m): 1:20pm On Jan 25, 2015
please my 2008 toyota corolla trips off when i switch on the A/c. Any ideas here?
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by ayzone: 6:52am On Jan 31, 2015
ayzone:
Its corolla 03, sometimes compressor picks immediately I switch on a/c and cut off like 3 minutes after and refuses to on again. Also,compressor might not pick at all when I put on a/c.
it was discovered that the compressor coil was bad,it was replaced and fresh gas was injected. Ac is back to normal condition,though am stil monitoring the state.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by Macmilla(m): 12:32pm On Jan 31, 2015
Please pals, my ac blows cold air only on high speed. Once I slow down or in traffic, it throws warm air at me. What could be the problem? Is my compressor failing?
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by zinaLPF: 7:43pm On Jan 31, 2015
ayzone:

it was discovered that the compressor coil was bad,it was replaced and fresh gas was injected. Ac is back to normal condition,though am stil monitoring the state.

Who did the work? Could you post their name and number. I am still searching for an AC expert to fix the clutch on my bad volvo compressor. I replaced it, but want to have the other as a back up.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by ayzone: 9:21pm On Jan 31, 2015
zinaLPF:

Who did the work? Could you post their name and number. I am still searching for an AC expert to fix the clutch on my bad volvo compressor. I replaced it, but want to have the other as a back up.
call the technician on 08055277416,his workshop is situated around akilo,ogba in ikeja. Best of luck.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by Nobody: 1:18pm On Feb 02, 2015
Macmilla:
Please pals, my ac blows cold air only on high speed. Once I slow down or in traffic, it throws warm air at me. What could be the problem? Is my compressor failing?
Looks like your condenser fan is not working well or your system is low on gas.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by Macmilla(m): 7:34am On Feb 05, 2015
0rex:

Looks like your condenser fan is not working well or your system is low on gas.
I'm sure the two fans blow pretty well. Dt means gas, right?
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by drogba(m): 7:47am On Feb 05, 2015
Macmilla:

if the two fans blow very well, could be low gas which may be caused by leakage anywhere in the whole system. if there is no leakage, your compressor may be bad.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by Nobody: 8:27am On Feb 05, 2015
Macmilla:

Yes.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by OnyekachiTy: 8:33pm On Nov 23, 2018
Please I need help.

My car Ac was cooling after sometime it stopped. Someone said I should top the gas, I did and it started cooling but after some days it stopped.

I had to take a closer look and I observed some things.

1. When I put on the AC, it doest cool unless I raise the engine.
2. The compressor get very hot after about 15 mins of operation
3. The compressor is leaking oil.
4. It gives the engine excess load more than supposed

I went to Ac technician, he changed a pipe and oil seal.
The AC stated cooling again but after about 15 mins of operation, it stopped. Oil and gas all leaked out.

Now he said I have to buy another compressor.
Please I need help, I need to understand what is going on first before I can go ahead

Honda EOD
2004 model
Four plugs

1 Like

Re: A/c Compressor Issue by masterplan303(m): 9:41am On May 02, 2019
ayzone:

Good day sir, i have an 04 corolla that has similar issue atm, the AC works well for few minutes and start to blow hot air, it will pick back and start blowing cold air after a few minutes. Again, whenever its blowing hot air, if i switch off the AC and ON it back after sometime it will start working again.
I dont know if this is exact fault your car had and if changing of the compressor coil is the solution.
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:22am On May 02, 2019
AutosBay:

It is bad, or, [there is a unreliable connection from it to the Compressor.

which of the 2?

the sensor or the control knob?

how do you isolate either of these 2 issues conclusively?

especially the sensor
Re: A/c Compressor Issue by nigonus: 10:13am On May 12, 2023
Lol, I know this is an almost 10 years old thread, but yup, I like this comment.

The previous diagnostic was rather hasty, and from researching online, it appears the compressor clutch is also a possible problem candidate in this case.

I have a similar problem with my CR-V 08 currently, although I've been to the A/C technician several times, with the clutch replaced, it seems to be recurring. My theory is that it's happening because it's a tokunbo part and you can never have the full guarantee on those. In addition to the fact that it (i.e. mine) started to occur again after a mechanic did some work on the engine, thus may have impacted the "carefully" managed clutch.

Also, found this interesting -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6084NqhbeE

Anyway, I'm just writing this as this thread is quite old. Who knows, someone may find it useful some day.

zinaLPF:

Re: A/c Compressor Issue by Angrygoat: 1:17pm On May 12, 2023
Crv compressor new na 35k. Condenser new 20k,radiator 15k toks. Buy everything complete,flush system and install. Make sure its auto,if its manual it can be repaired,if na auto. Forget

(1) (Reply)

Honda Halla Or Golf 3 / 7 Injuries Car Airbags Can Cause If They Deploy / Custom Duty For Lexus RX 350

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.