Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,722 members, 7,831,297 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Bearing One's Father's Name Right Or Wrong? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bearing One's Father's Name Right Or Wrong? (1711 Views)

My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name / Is It Right To Work For One's Father -inlaw/wife's Family?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bearing One's Father's Name Right Or Wrong? by lacasera14(m): 2:27pm On Dec 01, 2014
My name is Terry Chimela, my Dad's name is Anderson Chimela according to my Dad, Chimela is the name of our great great grandfather and that's the family's name which everyone in the family bears apart from the women who got married. Now the point is in some families though I've not seen such in my community but I've seen it in other communities in rivers state and especially among the igbos where a son chooses to bear his father's name as his surname. Take for instance like I stated earlier my Dad's name is Anderson Chimela while Am Terry Chimela but in this case the son Terry decides to go by the name Terry Anderson thereby washing away the family's name in the sands of time which in my own opinion is totally wrong. The USS (Unified Surname System ) where everyone in the family bears the same surname symbolizes unity and oneness, it makes members of the family to be identified where ever they are without hassles, it means they are one but in a case whereby everyone in the family choose to bear his or her father's name virtually the family is confused and divided, there is no specific name for the family. let's say this is amadi family, and yet you see names like Kelvin ogu , John abali, Sandra akachi. How does it sound? there's no indication here that they are part of the amadi family. Some people believe in the ahamefula theory an igbo name which means "my father's name should not die or loss " but trust me bearing the family's name will not send your father's name into extinction, you are still the son of your father whatever thing you do whenever the question "who is he ?"pops out people will say he's the son of Mr A from C family both family and your father takes the glory, even when your father's dead people will still remember him by you so his name is still in the picture. If you want all the glory for you and your father then you are selfish and you ought not be in a family or receive help from it. enough said already I want the candid opinion of nairalanders on this. If Am wrong, proof me with tangible reasons. meanwhile Happy new month everyone. #teamonefamily#
Re: Bearing One's Father's Name Right Or Wrong? by zubby29(m): 2:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
honestly i have been thinking of dat of late as well,mst times u will find dis tins among igbos and akwa ibom,it shows lack of unity dats d point and divides d family so fast.it sad people decide to go dat way
Re: Bearing One's Father's Name Right Or Wrong? by lacasera14(m): 2:43pm On Dec 01, 2014
zubby29:
honestly i have been thinking of dat of late as well,mst times u will find dis tins among igbos and akwa ibom,it shows lack of unity dats d point and divides d family so fast.it sad people decide to go dat way
very sad bro, that form of name system should be reserved for people born out of wedlock, for vagabonds who don't know anything about their father's
Re: Bearing One's Father's Name Right Or Wrong? by zubby29(m): 3:05pm On Dec 01, 2014
hahahah,haba,its not d childs fault.its d adults whose mind are so shallow dat dos such tin
lacasera14:
very sad bro, that form of name system should be reserved for people born out of wedlock, for vagabonds who don't know anything about their father's
Re: Bearing One's Father's Name Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 01, 2014
My family is so large and we bear one surname infact some of our women also retained the name as an adjoint to their husband folks name !!

The name belong to my GreatGrandFather ......... Attimes , I feel like changin that of my children to modification of our family surname .... But It will surely be miscontrue as an act of Rebellion against Family unity , norm and standard !!
Re: Bearing One's Father's Name Right Or Wrong? by crackhaus: 7:53pm On Dec 01, 2014
It's more common in divisive families, can't say if it's right or wrong - they may have justifiable reasons for choosing to do so.
Re: Bearing One's Father's Name Right Or Wrong? by tpiah2: 8:02pm On Dec 01, 2014
how the matter take concern me?

will it transfer some of Nigeria's money to me for safekeeping?

if it will, then i'll have an opinion.

(1) (Reply)

Am I Been Wicked? / How I Am Surviving During The Recession / Why Is My Life So Awful, I'm Ashamed Please Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.