Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:05 AM

Free Practical Guide To Fish Farming. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Free Practical Guide To Fish Farming. (2293 Views)

Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. / Step-by-step Guide To Rearing Ostriches Profitably In Nigeria. / Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Free Practical Guide To Fish Farming. by emerem: 11:25pm On Dec 01, 2014
Catfish Farming in Nigeria – Because of its unique taste and high nutritional value, catfish delicacies have become increasingly popular in Nigerian homes, restaurants and hotels. In recent times, the demand for it is a lot higher than catfish farmers can supply thereby making catfish farming in Nigeria a profitable investment to launch into.
Catfish farming is a money spinning venture as you will start generating 100% return of investment.
However, the catfish business requires knowledge, skill, together with time and effort to make it successful (knowledge + skill + time + effort = success). This is because if any of these values is neglected, it is easy to run into losses. The good news is that if you follow the simple catfish farming guidelines mentioned in this article, you will be guaranteed a stable and steady income throughout the year as it is not a seasonal business.

Capital
Catfish farming in Nigeria as a business can be started with as much amount of money as you have. In fact I recommend you start on a small scale and then grow with experience. As time goes by, you will become accustomed to tackling the risks involved in the business. Initial capital is needed for the construction of the pond, for acquiring land and buildings if it is not self owned, labour, licensing and equipment. Running costs includes cost of feeds, getting fingerlings, fuel/electricity.
Construction of Ponds
Depending on the capital available, you can construct any of these ponds;

Earthen Pond: This is digging up the soil (usually clay) to create a pond.
Concrete Pond: Here, blocks are used to construct the pond above the ground level, using cement, gravel and sand.
Fibre Pond: These are fibre tanks (e.g. GP tanks). The advantage of this pond is that it can be moved from place to place.

The following should be put into consideration when constructing your pond for your catfish business

Availability of constant water supply – This can be achieved by digging a borehole or well. Rain water can also be channeled into tanks
Depth of the pond – Depth affects the oxygen level. The ideal depth is 4 to 6feet.
A minimum of three ponds should be constructed in the area. Each pond for different sizes of fishes.
The pond should be close to steady power supply.

Equipments Needed

Pumping Machine and Pipes
Water Testing Equipment
Tanks
Baskets and Buckets
Seines and Nets
Electricity Generator Set
Pond Aerators

Management Tips and Practices:
Before starting the business, it is very important to draw out a good business plan. It should be comprehensive and detailed as the success of the business largely depends on it. As catfish takes 4 to 5 months to grow into table size, expenses to be made through out the period should be carefully laid out.
Here are tips to help you successfully run your catfish farming In Nigeria :

I will advise that a beginner starts with juvenile fishes instead of fingerlings.
Apply lime to the ponds before you introduce the fishes. Lime will kill all possible bacteria and reduce the acidic content of the water that can affect the fish.
Do not overcrowd the fishes. 1000 catfishes per acre is recommended.
Though catfish can survive in a wide range of temperature, the ideal water temperature is 85°. The temperature affects the rate of feeding in catfish. They eat more in warm temperature.
Overfeeding should be avoided as much as possible. Unconsumed feed will decompose and pollute the water thereby affecting the survival and growth of the fishes.
Feed fishes regularly as they tend to feed on themselves when they are hungry. At least twice daily.
Catfish feed should be bought from reputable dealers as only quality feed should be used.
The pond should be kept clean at all times. Only clean and clear water should be used. Impurities reduce the oxygen level in the water. The water should be changed regularly.
Proper marketing arrangement should be made before the end of the growing season. Harvest size is usually determined by the buyer.
The farmer should be observant. Sudden behavioral changes are tell – tale signs that something is wrong with the fishes.

To get more tips on poultry, piggery, snail and other self help tutorials, email: megaideas2k@gmail.com or call 08133972034 for free information.

Re: Free Practical Guide To Fish Farming. by Johnnyessence(m): 6:02am On Dec 02, 2014
u can send d following information on poultry,piggery and others on this email: johnadegbola4uall@gmail.com
Re: Free Practical Guide To Fish Farming. by osile2012: 1:23pm On Dec 03, 2014
[size=15pt]Will be nice if u can add the cost of equipments, pond, feed etc. Thanks.[/size]
Re: Free Practical Guide To Fish Farming. by denziz: 12:01pm On Jan 24, 2015
Let's help make your catfish farming a success buy quality fingerlings at a reasonable price.
For enquiries and bookings please call KAYODE:08032262906,08053054300
Re: Free Practical Guide To Fish Farming. by emerem: 8:38pm On May 03, 2015
Having a strong business idea is one part, having the required tutorials, another part, but funding and capital posse big threats. I went into research and came up with a mind-blowing discovery that definitely will solve the whole problems I listed above. I was able to get the formation of over 1000 household essentials like paint, gum, mosquito coil, detergents and so many of them just name them. I also discovered over 250 places you can raise funds and capital to start up without collateral and interest for your business. I crowned it all by discovering over 1000 importers, exporters and companies who are very willing to sell your products, raise funds for you to maximise your production rate even upto exportable quality and quantity. I proudly present this special Directory "Complete Business Guide" to my fans who are ready to go to the next level. The guide is almost FREE. To get it, call or text: 0813-397-2034, Whatsapp: 0807-159-5441mail me here: selfaidinitiative@gmail.com. This DIRECTORY is a must have. I wish you good luck.
Re: Free Practical Guide To Fish Farming. by sessypgm(m): 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2015
PLEASE DO KNOW CATFISH AND TILAPIA FISH FEED FORMULATION
Re: Free Practical Guide To Fish Farming. by adebayo4ng(m): 12:57am On Nov 29, 2015
Ases sourcing is an online and offline based sourcing agent, we source for buyers of various commodities, agricultural, minerals, services and industrial goods.
Already we have more than 5,000 contacts already in our data base of individuals and corporate bodies who buy and sell anything that is legal on our data base.
We are using this medium to invite individuals, corporate bodies who renders or requires one service(s) or the other to be included in our data base.
Our terms and conditions are very simple and easy to follow. As a seller you are only required to give us any single digit commission in percentage that is considerate. As a buyer you are not to give any useless excuse for not paying when the buyer meets your specification and deliver your goods on time.
To be included in our data base, visit our website and download our form, check our signature for our website address or send an email to sellers4buyers@yahoo.com and make your interest known, we will send our form to you and our terms and conditions. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Free Practical Guide To Fish Farming. by ultrazone(m): 6:31pm On Nov 29, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Massey Ferguson Tractors Best Alternate For Bulldozer, Roller & ....etc / 300 Point Of Lay Layers For Sale In Abuja / Broiler Farming: Please Help, Its Urgent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.