Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market (12881 Views)

That Act Of Discrimination By Virgin Atlantic Airways / Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews / The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Krucifax(m): 11:18am On Dec 04, 2014
The problem you face is double pronged. First there is a longterm unemployment problem in Nigeria.meaning that finding work regardless of age and experience is very difficult. Secondly the Nigerian employment laws are still in their infancy when compared to other countries. The significance of this is that age discrimination is openly practised where you'll see a job advert saying things like must not be over 25 must not be less than 40 etc etc.

You sound like you are coming from diaspora if that is the case you might want to explore business opportunities whilst you job hunt. I say this because the average salary per month in Nigeria is about N100,000. Which is about my earnings for 2 days of work in London. Meaning the job even when you get it is nothing to write home about. But Good luck with your efforts.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by sibepoc(m): 11:19am On Dec 04, 2014
Take heart
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Enthony: 11:22am On Dec 04, 2014
d truth is.....they're scard of ur wealth of experiences so,
keep applying n remain hopeful,very soon,ud find a way out either u get ppl who'd value ur worth or u create an establishment dat will put an end to such discrimination.....one love
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by niggi4life(m): 11:24am On Dec 04, 2014
First Topic by OP and e make front page? shocked dat is what i call 100% shot.
btw: the labor market is indeed saturated and at that said age(45) you should either be in a managerial position(most definitely heading a dept) or a consultant. It also depends on your field of study, if you are in the IT sector you shouldn't find it hard to secure a place.
Am in my early 30s and i am an assistant manger in an IT firm, my immediate boss is also in his 30s(he's a Manager) and our CTO(Chief technology Officer) is in his early 40s. So you see, it all boils down to your area of specialization.
But i would encourage you to keep pushing out your CV.. One day you will surely be employed

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by zoomman(m): 11:33am On Dec 04, 2014
Suzyky4u:
In my late 20s. At that age, I should be an employer of labour!
its easier said than done.......tho i believe in ur dream.....
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by JediB(f): 11:34am On Dec 04, 2014
There lies the myopic and unexposed perceptions held by a vast majority of Nigerians. First of all, apart from perhaps the exuberance of youth available to anyone less than 35, there is no reason why a focussed 45year old cannot engage their experience, at the level or even better than anyone younger. Some 'NLers'(sic) are saying "start your own business" Is this 45year old willing to do that? How are we sure he hasn't tried that? Perhaps, like a few gifted people I know, he would prefer somewhere to go to and something stable at the end of the month. The possibilities are endless.
I think the challenge with Nigeria is breaking the status quo. I would employ a stable, experienced, professional 45 year old, with personal and family commitments, sowed his career wild oats and knows what he's doing rather than employ an early 20s who doesn't know what he wants to do with him or herself.
Anyways, dear op, please keep at the job search, if no one in Nigeria will hire you, perhaps you should think a change of approach or relocation. You will succeed

10 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 04, 2014
This looks like an interesting thread. Lemme read comments.
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by salt1: 11:45am On Dec 04, 2014
ao765:
Hello
New on Nairaland

I would like to know people's views on the issue of serious discrimination against anyone over-45 (of which I am one!) seeking employment in Nigeria. I have applied for numerous jobs, be it long-term, short-term, consultancy and so on. Despite my wealth of experience, skills and expertise, I have not had even an interview! Are employers intimidated by experienced/older professionals? Surely our experience will bring added value to organisations and we can be of help to younger employees. Please we should not be discarded with yet! We are still useful to the employment market!! Anyone feeling similarly frustrated with this type of discrimination and unfairness?? Let's hear your veiws!
undecided

Some things do not add up in your post
1. You haven't been invited for interview yet you claim wealth of experience. Where did you get this experience?

2. Are you applying for a first job at 45years? Those to interview you are Human Resource managers in their 30s
3. Organizations don't just want expertise. They want people they can invest in and who can build a career
4. You didn't mention your discipline. The course you read is important. If it's Education, you can easily get a place in these numerous private schools
5. You didn't mention where you have been applying to work in. With the Civil service, the maximum age for first appointment is 50years

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Dereformer(m): 11:47am On Dec 04, 2014
vickylinco:
Am an accountant in need of a good job pls

are you a qualified accountant?
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Impera(m): 11:48am On Dec 04, 2014
Sir. Age discrimination is not limited to only Nigeria. Maybe you have been looking for jobs in the wrong sectors. Have you tried the civil service?

And truth be told, with your wealth of experience, why not consider setting up for yourself to leverage your experience?
At 45 and with years of experience you should be able to do something for yourself. Goodluck
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by franugo(m): 11:53am On Dec 04, 2014
meImyself:
45 year still lookn 4 jab...................end time tinz

ignorance at its peak bro. Wetin concern end time n d thread topic
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 04, 2014
Hmmmm....js listen to muyiwa afolabi ds morning;and ds was part of the issue he was talking about!! Bt finally it still depends on his qualification and the wealth of experience he said he has...so,basically,I tink he shud be able to assess himself based on that....
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 11:55am On Dec 04, 2014
There's age discrimination in every country on the planet but the severest form exists here because ours is a nation of poverty and chronic lack. In an advanced society with so much diversity and range of options even at 55 you could go back to school (as my ex gfs dad did) to learn a useful skill and still be useful to society if you want to be. Over here, even a 22 year old fresh graduate with a first class honors degree in chemistry could be rendered surplus to requirements.

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Suzyky4u(f): 11:57am On Dec 04, 2014
zoomman:

its easier said than done.......tho i believe in ur dream.....

It's not "easier said than done" for me. I have a handiwork. Some of us go to school just to acquire more knowledge. Some go there just for the certificate, to work and save for investment.
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by deniyor: 12:03pm On Dec 04, 2014
seunwen2:
Just graduated and still in my early 20s so make other people comment on this

why waste space if you have nothing to contribute

Op, if you have a wealth of experience, you should consider starting your own firm and bring up the next generation. I think the job market is a bit picky on age, the whole respect bs. I believe there are many out there who wouldn't mind hiring someone with experience.
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by repent4christ: 12:04pm On Dec 04, 2014
I am 42yrs of age an estate agent, the bizness is no longer lucrative in this northern part of Nigeria so i am trying other ventures, i would advice you to carry out research on self employed bizness, i wouldnt want anybody bossing me around, but if you still want to join the 'rat race' thats your chioce.
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Avalani(m): 12:14pm On Dec 04, 2014
ao765:
Hello
New on Nairaland

I would like to know people's views on the issue of serious discrimination against anyone over-45 (of which I am one!) seeking employment in Nigeria. I have applied for numerous jobs, be it long-term, short-term, consultancy and so on. Despite my wealth of experience, skills and expertise, I have not had even an interview! Are employers intimidated by experienced/older professionals? Surely our experience will bring added value to organisations and we can be of help to younger employees. Please we should not be discarded with yet! We are still useful to the employment market!! Anyone feeling similarly frustrated with this type of discrimination and unfairness?? Let's hear your veiws!
undecided

Another reason is, they believe young employees will be more easily satisfied with the below average salary they pay. At least for a while. An older person with real responsibilities might not
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by deniyor: 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2014
salt1:

Some things do not add up in your post
1. You haven't been invited for interview yet you claim wealth of experience. Where did you get this experience?

2. Are you applying for a first job at 45years? Those to interview you are Human Resource managers in their 30s
3. Organizations don't just want expertise. They want people they can invest in and who can build a career
4. You didn't mention your discipline. The course you read is important. If it's Education, you can easily get a place in these numerous private schools
5. You didn't mention where you have been applying to work in. With the Civil service, the maximum age for first appointment is 50years

Dude, think outside the box. He may have just relocated to settle in Nigeria. He said he has wealth of experience and you are asking if its his first job? C'mon son!
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by bigtimemugu(m): 12:29pm On Dec 04, 2014
if ur 45yrs your degree result must hav been like 15yrs and ur o'level around 21yrs old . u see no organization will accept such obsolete knowledge and aceint credentials. all ur academic exposure has be exhausted.and ur so called well experience can only be considered by recommendation.so stop looking for job rather creat one. but u can still be a good principal ,or headmaster .
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by chachazzy(m): 12:31pm On Dec 04, 2014
Op i was hopin you would say ages 30-35, as i am in my early thirties and job scouring, though i served at 30. Sometimes i wonder what happens to the saying that 'you can acquire education at any time in life' yet most companies and organisation use the age factor. But at 45...
Anyway, i put my hope and trust in the almighty God.
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by 9jatatafo(m): 12:42pm On Dec 04, 2014
Age discrimination is a very big issue in the Nigerian labour market. My candid advise is for you to start up your own business since you lot of experience. You can become the boss of your own. Just believe in yourself and have faith in God.
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by 0b1nna: 12:48pm On Dec 04, 2014
ao765:
Hello
New on Nairaland

undecided

I think in most cases employers don't like employing old people. Like in the case of paramilitary, they boldy spell it out during their recruitment that you must not be above 30. Younger people are more trainable (or should I say flexible) and they can also put in more time and energy since they are younger. Hope this helps.
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by JEITO: 12:48pm On Dec 04, 2014
Not just age discrimination, but also years of experience discrimination. How can the younger ones get years of experience when they can't get jobs in the first place because they don't have x-years of experience on the job.
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by seunwen2(m): 12:58pm On Dec 04, 2014
deniyor:

why waste space if you have nothing to contribute

Op, if you have a wealth of experience, you should consider starting your own firm and bring up the next generation. I think the job market is a bit picky on age, the whole respect bs. I believe there are many out there who wouldn't mind hiring someone with experience.

Must you quote me? Amebo
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 04, 2014
With your age, sir I will advice u open a small business. No matter how small it's you can go a long way if your wealth of experience is well channelled into it. At 45, you should be addressed as "Sir" rather than answering people sir in the name of being loyal and subservient to others.
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by ttmacoy: 1:02pm On Dec 04, 2014
I've noticed this trend on nairaland where everyone is told to set up a business or statements like below the at 45 you must be an employer not employee. The truth if life is there will be employers and there will be employees.

Not everyone is cut out to own their business and not every business owner is cut out to develop a business which is why the likes of Bill Gates needed Steve Balmer to make Microsoft the global company it is now. Why Mark Zuckerberg needed Sheryl Sandberg to make facebook the successful public company it is now. (notice I said company not product). There are people like bill Gates who have the idea and product, and there are those like Steve Balmer who come with the skis, knowledge, experience and connections to build that product into a successful corporation. This is especially important as many innovators like mark zuckerberg are not good at monetising their products.

You have no clue what his background is so stop putting people down with such statements.

Suzyky4u:
In my late 20s. At that age, I should be an employer of labour!

3 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 04, 2014
Sir, I am certain you will get that Job with your wealth of experience. Please can i know more about your area of expertise?
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by mezebel(f): 1:24pm On Dec 04, 2014
Mortury attendant augently needed for 45yrs and above. Call +000993689,this d kind of jobs we offer here in france
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by Suzyky4u(f): 1:28pm On Dec 04, 2014
ttmacoy:
I've noticed this trend on nairaland where everyone is told to set up a business or statements like below the at 45 you must be an employer not employee. The truth if life is there will be employers and there will be employees.

Not everyone is cut out to own their business and not every business owner is cut out to develop a business which is why the likes of Bill Gates needed Steve Balmer to make Microsoft the global company it is now. Why Mark Zuckerberg needed Sheryl Sandberg to make facebook the successful public company it is now. (notice I said company not product). There are people like bill Gates who have the idea and product, and there are those like Steve Balmer who come with the skis, knowledge, experience and connections to build that product into a successful corporation. This is especially important as many innovators like mark zuckerberg are not good at monetising their products.

You have no clue what his background is so stop putting people down with such statements.

We are all entitled to our personal opinion. You don't know my background either! I saw myself through school and it wasn't easy. Choosing to be an employer of labour is simply my mission on earth and anyone that wishes to be put down is clearly on his/her own.
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by idu1(m): 1:46pm On Dec 04, 2014
TDstarr:
go open a shop or something , or start a church
church na business?
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by madtom85(m): 1:51pm On Dec 04, 2014
ao765:
Hello
New on Nairaland

undecided
@ op, I can feel your frustration, employment is competitive in Nigeria; even the FG has proclaimed 'no jobs' but there is good news for (and any1 unemployed). Do you want to be self-employed rather than opting for interviews? Send an e-mail and add ur number to the message to madtom75@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market by zoomman(m): 1:53pm On Dec 04, 2014
Suzyky4u:

It's not "easier said than done" for me. I have a handiwork. Some of us go to school just to acquire more knowledge. Some go there just for the certificate, to work and save for investment.
SO WHERE DO U BELONG?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Five (5) Simple Career Lessons I Learnt From Hilda - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) / Do You Have Any Regrets About Your Profession? / Is It Necessary To Complain To My Boss Or I Just Quit.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.