Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,192 members, 7,867,458 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 04:28 PM

U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students (1575 Views)

Macedonian Government Scholarships For Foreign Students. / UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants / UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students by otosa(m): 11:58pm On Dec 02, 2014
Where the foreign Students go?

When it comes to studying abroad, the U.S. is no longer THE place to go.
A new global migration report by the Organization for Economic Cooperation shows American universities are losing their supreme position in the global education system.

In 2000, nearly one in four students looking for education abroad picked a college in the U.S.
In 2012 -- the latest year for which data is available -- it was just 16%.
Although the U.S. still attracts the highest proportion of foreign students, other countries are becoming increasingly popular, biting into the U.S. market share.
All other English-speaking developed countries and Spain have increased their share of foreign students.
The United Kingdom has seen the biggest growth in its share, trailing closely behind the U.S. with 12.6%. This is good news for British universities, as foreign students pay up to three times more in tuition than students from Britain and the EU.
South Korea has also increased its share dramatically, from less then 0.2% in 2000 to 1.3% in 2012.

More than 4.5 million students enrolled outside their own country in 2012, with three-quarters of them studying in developed countries. Over half came from Asia, with China now representing 22% of all international students, followed by India and Korea.
The OECD praises countries that welcome international students, saying they boost local economies, since they speak the language and employers understand their qualifications.
http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/01/pf/college/international-students-education/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Re: U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students by justwise(m): 12:04am On Dec 03, 2014
Whoever wrote that article should be sacked for not including Canada as the new preferred destination for foreign students.
Re: U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students by moneybag100: 12:28am On Dec 03, 2014
justwise:
Whoever wrote that article should be sacked for not including Canada as the new preferred destination for foreign students.
Lol, do you think they only follow nairaland statistic?
Re: U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students by zeezahbee(f): 12:40am On Dec 03, 2014
justwise:
Canada , i doubt. do you know the stress and time it takes to get Canada visa. they even go for medicals ad all sort and you do not even know your fate until you get your passport back. Canada visa takes patience but US visa can be gotten easily if you can follow simple rules and you also know your fate instantly plus some people can go with fake documents and still get the US visa. lastly the immigration rule in USA is easy.
Re: U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students by jude33084(m): 11:17am On Dec 03, 2014
Please I need help o! grin

I will like to do my masters in the US or Canada but don't know how to go about it.

Is there any site I can visit to know the list of schools that have been accepting Nigerians as foreign students?

Please it is urgent

Thanks in advance. smiley

1 Like

Re: U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students by justwise(m): 11:41am On Dec 03, 2014
zeezahbee:
Canada , i doubt. do you know the stress and time it takes to get Canada visa. they even go for medicals ad all sort and you do not even know your fate until you get your passport back. Canada visa takes patience but US visa can be gotten easily if you can follow simple rules and you also know your fate instantly plus some people can go with fake documents and still get the US visa. lastly the immigration rule in USA is easy.

Canada at the moment has the most friendlier immigration policy towards foreign students, it takes longer time to process study permit for Nigerian prospective students because some Nigerians are fraudulent and documents submitted can not be taken on face value, it takes lesser time for other countries.

Canada is not the only country that ask for medical examination, Australia does and application process for Australia is even harder and their immigration rules is not friendly.

The UK immigration policies changed in recent years leaving foreign students with little opportunity to stay back and work after graduation while Canada gives foreign students that opportunity.

Though the article was published this week but the data used was gathered 2yrs ago and a lot has changed since then.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students by Tvegas(m): 1:18pm On Dec 03, 2014
Is the US loosing its appeal for foreign students or they are not issuing enough student visas?. Visit the US embassy, SAT and GMAT centers ,maybe we will come up with a different article. grin grin

1 Like

Re: U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students by Moukafoam(f): 8:09pm On Dec 03, 2014
jude33084:

I will like to do my masters in the US or Canada but don't know how to go about it.

Is there any site I can visit to know the list of schools that have been accepting Nigerians as foreign students?

Please it is urgent

Plz somebody should answer this question because I am interested too.
Re: U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students by zeezahbee(f): 12:03am On Dec 04, 2014
Moukafoam:

Plz somebody should answer this question because I am interested too.
https://www.nairaland.com/1869186/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/192
Re: U.S. Losing Its Appeal For Foreign Students by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 04, 2014
jude33084:

I will would like to do my masters in the US or Canada but don't know how to go about it.

Please it is urgent

(1) (Reply)

Photos Of Nigerian Traveling Home At The Kuala Lumpur International Airport Mal / Plane Turn Around, Returned To Saudi Airport As Mum Forgets Baby At The Terminal / What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.