Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,443 members, 7,846,834 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 02:48 AM

Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? (3980 Views)

Photo: Who Is Your Best President So Far? / Obasanjo: Nigeria May Soon Explode-Saharareporters / Obasanjo - Nigeria Is Cursed, Criticized Atiku, Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by tpia: 10:01pm On Dec 05, 2008
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 10:07pm On Dec 05, 2008
There has been no good president in Nigeria.
If you people want to rank these politicians who have stolen and looted from us be my guest.
As for me I believe they should all be paying back the money they stole with interest!
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by Muza(m): 10:22pm On Dec 05, 2008
tpia:

Nigerians always bash their leaders, so there can never be a best president.

if they're not bashing them, they're worshipping them. Never a reasonable analysis in either case.

And the leaders too don't mind bashing them back. After all, they're only human. It would take a saint to swallow the daily abuse and insults heaped even on the most well meaning leaders. And there are very few saints in Nigeria. grin
We hav to bash them cos we are not sycophants,we cannot see white and call it black.

JosBoy4Lif:

There has been no good president in Nigeria.
If you people want to rank these politicians who have stolen and looted from us be my guest.
As for me I believe they should all be paying back the money they stole with interest!

That will be in the hereafter
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by dazangel11(f): 4:17am On Dec 06, 2008
I think this topic should have read Obasanjo is better than Yaradua

because this our yaradua is a very good example of the Hausa Brain.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by dayokanu(m): 6:23am On Dec 06, 2008
@Eziachi and Ikeyman,

The east always voted with OBJ whether 2003 or 1999.

The east had the choice of Olu Falae and Buhari that had an Igboman as running mate in 1999 and 2003 respectively and they chose Obasanjo. Why didnt you guys vote Ojukwu in 2003
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by GettysBurg: 3:24pm On Dec 06, 2008
How do we OBJECTIVELY measure the performance of OBJ?

I think the first criteria is remove all forms of bias, sentimentality and prejudice.

We should have what i'll call KPIs - KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS, and measure all performance against these indicators. Then we can actually score the performance of the past President.

The big problem with uninformed and unintelligent conclusions is the possibility of 'missing out' when the real answers come.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by Eziachi: 4:49pm On Dec 06, 2008
dayokanu:

@Eziachi and Ikeyman,

The east always voted with OBJ whether 2003 or 1999.

The east had the choice of Olu Falae and Buhari that had an Igboman as running mate in 1999 and 2003 respectively and they chose Obasanjo. Why didnt you guys vote Ojukwu in 2003

Again your argument is open for questioning. As long as I know, there were massive rigging by the PDP in 2003 as SE massively voted APGA if I am right. But my point is that the Yoruba nation change fro nil percent to 100% for OBJ between 1999-2003.

So you can't wash your hand off your son. He is still one of you, whether you like it or not. You can't pick and choose when it come to DNA. OBJ is a Yoruba and will always be, so stop shifting the blame. If the south est voted for a Yorubaman that shows that they don't put too much emphasis on tribalism and should be commended. Now tell me any election in Nigeria where the Yoruba nation voted for a non Yoruba when there is a Yoruba candidate? Never Never Never.
This is your record of voting
1960s- Chief Awolowo
1979-1983- Chief Awolowo
1993- Chief Abiola
1999- Chief Olu Falea
2003- Chief OBJ
2007- No Candidate (mixed voting)
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by 1luvkipsus: 7:33pm On Dec 06, 2008
If you followed the most recent poll conducted by Raypower to determine the best leader to have emerged in Nigeria, OBJ was voted by Nigerians to be the best leader to have emerged. Awolowo, who was declared winner of that poll was only voted by the Yorubas. So,its very undisputable that OBJ remains the best leader Nigeria has had. The people that know his worth better have recently given him a UN job.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by ikeyman00(m): 7:43pm On Dec 06, 2008
beni, raypower
OBJ is a faliure

infact he is a lucky slowpoke
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by Eziachi: 4:47pm On Dec 07, 2008
1luvkipsus:

If you followed the most recent poll conducted by Raypower to determine the best leader to have emerged in Nigeria, OBJ was voted by Nigerians to be the best leader to have emerged. Awolowo, who was declared winner of that poll was only voted by the Yorubas. So,its very undisputable that OBJ remains the best leader Nigeria has had. The people that know his worth better have recently given him a UN job.

What UN job? don't be fooled by his appointment as who most suited to talk to Congolese war criminal than a war criminal too called OBJ? Afterall the same UN sen Gambari to Burma to talk to their junta governement knowing that Gambari has a history of romance with Nigerian junta governments.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by dazangel11(f): 9:00pm On Dec 07, 2008
By far the best but that is only because he is the only president with one eye all other past presido's are blind.

@all
If you think Obj is not the best simply call out the best and state your reasons.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by dazangel11(f): 9:09pm On Dec 07, 2008
I have seen folks post trash about Obj here but nobody has called any one president who he/she feels is better.

Shun sentiments and give the man some credits smiley
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by dayokanu(m): 7:40am On Dec 08, 2008
@eziachi,
Is the topic tribal trend in voting or who voted OBJ in?

Every ethnic group has good and bad sons OBJ was a bad son but Non Yorubas prefer the bad son to the good son (Olu Falae) that we provided Nigerians with. I am sure most Igbo's dont like Chris Uba If Chris was nominated for presidency against Charles Soludo. and Igbos did not support or vote Uba but other Non Igbos did and he won would you still blame the Igbo's?

If you say 2003 election was rigged in the South East what makes you think it was not rigged in the South west?

Its either we accept the 2003 result all over the country which shows that OBJ won In all South Eastern and South western states
Or we reject the 2003 elections which mean OBJ was rigged in the the 2 sides
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by dazangel11(f): 9:40pm On Dec 08, 2008
Whatever the case, what is really important is to see whether since General Mathew Olusegun Obasanjo came to power in 1999, this around time as a civilian, he has done anything good, for which he will be remembered after he leaves office. On this, there are several camps. The first and perhaps the most vocal, claim that, Mr Obasanjo's rule has been characterized by his wickedness or hate for the poor and love for the rich. While a second camp see nothing to reproach Mr Obasanjo and there is a third group as always, that behaves like a weather cock.

Whether one is in support of Obasanjo or not, it would be unfair to rule out right that, he has done nothing in the almost eight years that, he has been occupying Aso-Rock ( the seat of government in Abuja, Nigeria's Federal capital). It would also sound as though one is the praise singer of Nigeria's president, if one simply concludes that, his rule has been unblemished. He has certainly done well, but he still has aspects that, he would have wanted to do better or improve on. Hence, his attempt at tinkering with the constitution of his country at some point.

Obasanjo will nevertheless be long remembered as one or the only Nigerian leader who freed his countries from the $32 billion debts she owed to the Paris club and also the one who freed his country from the London club. Already, to this last club of creditors, his administration last January, paid the lump sum $1.4 billion and would soon complete the remaining $90 million. In so doing, settling all debts contracted by the former military rulers of Nigeria.

Obasanjo has also excelled well in the area of privatization. In 2006, the Nigerian government was able to rake into her coffers the whopping sum of $ 7.07 billion, being sum generated from the sales of many state own companies. What is more pleasing is how the current administration has been able to manage the windfall from high commodity prices and the result is that, Nigeria's external reserves stands currently at $ 41 billion and may reach an all time high of $60 billion by the end of this year.

By comparison, in the 90's, when General Ibrahim Babaginda was in power, Nigeria had similar oil windfall, but the proceeds from the sales developed eagle wings. The administration of Obasanjo has also appointed foreign fund managers in collaboration with the Nigerian Central Bank to partner local banks in the management of Nigeria's foreign reserves. The banking reforms is also an area that credits deserves to be given to the administration of Obasanjo. Today, Nigerian banks have been recapitalized and the number brought down from 89 to 25 viable banks.

Under Obasanjo, the non Oil sector has grown and diversification of the economy and the refocus on other minerals has been given greater attention. Foreign investment as at 2006 directed to Nigeria stands at more than $ 4 billion. And finally, controversial as this part may appear, the administration of Obasanjo has given sleepless nights to corrupt officials and the rating of the country in 2006 was BB- and it is believed that, in 2007 Nigeria's rating will be bettered.

Therefore anybody who succeeds Obasanjo, must try to clear local debts just as the external ones have been cleared, and also try to continue with the reforms and prudent macro economic management of the current administration.

But yaradua well God go help am
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by kokorunna(m): 12:36pm On Dec 09, 2008
OBJ is worst Nigerian President we ever had as I can remember.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by Marymos: 1:27pm On Dec 09, 2008
tanx a million dazangel11 for Ur objectivity.thats a very intelligent and superb response on the subject under consideration.you are good.keep it up.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by Muza(m): 1:50pm On Dec 09, 2008
kokorunna:

OBJ is worst Nigerian President we ever had as I can remember.

i too cant remember anybody worst
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by maxsiollun: 10:18pm On Dec 09, 2008
OBJ gets a lot of undeserved criticism. Nigerians are not being fair to him.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php/content/view/7131/55
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by BecomeRich: 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2008
Obasanjo made alot of mistake. but he contribute his own. But he made plenty mistake.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by Muza(m): 12:56am On Dec 10, 2008
BecomeRich:

Obasanjo made alot of mistake. but he contribute his own. But he made plenty mistake.

You call rigging election mistake,
or is it spending $16bn on power,
or is it empowering Dangote,Otedola,Emeka offor at the expense of millions of nigerians,
or is it selling Nigerian assets at ridiculous give away prices thats a mistake,
or is it witch hunting of political opponents,
or . . .etc

Pls save us the crap.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by chidichris(m): 1:25pm On Dec 10, 2008
in reality obj was not a product of election rather he was a coolant over the denial of abiola's mandate and his consequential death.
he was selected by few generals who saw him as a protector for their misdeeds in the country since he too was a general.
one gets no surprise over ribadu's inability to lay his hands on babangida. one gets no surprise that babangida was part of obj's administration at least first term on seat.
no wonder he reciprocated that kind gesture by selecting one of them as his exit gift.
if there is any way someone forced me into believing that obj is the best presient in nigerians history, i will also force others to accept that obj is still the worst president nigeria has ever seen.
his entry into aso rock was a movie and his exit and replcaement remains a fictional movie.
he was the president and the minister of oil for seven and half years so we can as well give him the prize of the best oil minister nigeria has ever see.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by GettysBurg: 4:39pm On Dec 10, 2008
Muza:

or is it selling Nigerian assets at ridiculous give away prices thats a mistake,

You probably mean 'selling Nigerian Liabilities',
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by donsanchez(m): 5:09pm On Dec 10, 2008
i feel Obasanjo was deceived by the youth.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by Muza(m): 11:09pm On Dec 10, 2008
donsanchez:

i feel Obasanjo was deceived by the youth.

your feelings are so wrong grin
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by troy07: 11:13pm On Dec 10, 2008
No.
Uncle Segun just try a little.

There is so much that needs to be done.

We have more that enough manpower, natural resources, intellectuals.

And still yet no so called president seize the opportunity to turn Nigeria into a more industrialize nation.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by SegzyJoe(m): 1:51pm On Dec 11, 2008
@ post
when you say somebody is the worst leader, you ve not really said anything. first, that statement is a sweeping generalization with no facts, hence being a worst leader could mean many things, i.e including befriending your girl friendor wife, yes as rediculous as it may sound, it could be interpreted that way, that is why when you made a statement, you must be ready to substantiate it with facts and proof.

A poster above gave objective facts above and they re verifiable and well know to us all. So by saying somebody is the worst leader without facts or proof is not an intelligent statement, except here in Nigeria where people don't even know the implication of their statements. S bing the worst leader could mean several things like the guy is not from your tribe, or his policies affected your business negatively etc.

We Nigeria must learn to be objective and stop being carried away by our shallow sentiment that has been the only reason for our arrested development.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by SegzyJoe(m): 2:02pm On Dec 11, 2008
@Muza
I think you have a very judgemental attitude, that is why you don't kknow the difference btw allegation and being guilty of an offence. Anyway, that's what you get when you re too lazy to do research or dig out facts and figures before you make comments on a topic. Its people like you that make public statement based on what you read on the pages of the newspaper.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by chidichris(m): 5:01pm On Dec 11, 2008
segzyjoe,
obj is the worst president with the following varrifiable points;
roads
security
power supply
political killings
genocide in odi
legalization of political thugry
highest level of rigging(selection) in the history of nigeria
i do hope that with these few points of mine, i have been able convience and not confuss u that that man who had the gut to chop his son's wife is not worthy to be a president.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by ayobase(m): 7:59pm On Jan 26, 2009
U wanna tell me ur best
president so far and with reasons
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by ayobase(m): 8:03pm On Jan 26, 2009
chidichris:

segzyjoe,
obj is the worst president with the following varrifiable points;
roads
security
power supply
political killings
genocide in odi
legalization of political thugry
highest level of rigging(selection) in the history of nigeria
i do hope that with these few points of mine, i have been able convience and not confuss u that that man who had the gut to chop his son's wife is not worthy to be a president.

Thank u 4 those points of urs
will u like to tell me ur best Naija
best president so far
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by GettysBurg: 3:23pm On Jan 27, 2009
Interestingly, some of my prophesies are beginning to come to pass.

I had earlier said on another thread, that sooner or later, Nigerians will begin to appreciate the man OBASANJO.

I have seen it in several places now. And now the trend is on Nairaland. What feeling does this evoke in me? Pride? Sadness? No. Neither.

I am only Glad that there is some hope for Nigeria now. Why? Cos if we couldn't even identify what and who were the solutions to our problems, then we are in for perpetual trouble.

In any case, history can only write for itself. And history will be VERY Kind to Obasanjo.
Re: Obasanjo: Nigeria's Best President So Far? by BOSS7: 3:39pm On Jan 27, 2009
GettysBurg:

Interestingly, some of my prophesies are beginning to come to pass.
Are you sure you're not Primate Babatunde?

GettysBurg:

I had earlier said on another thread, that sooner or later, Nigerians will begin to appreciate the man OBASANJO.
Show me where we have been appreciative of the man because I haven't come across that anywhere.

GettysBurg:

And history will be VERY Kind to Obasanjo.
As they say, tomorrow is the future and yesterday is what - - history. As far as I'm aware, history is not yet defining Obasanjo in a positive light so far so how would it be ever kind to this guy? Should we wait another 50years? History would never be kind to OBJ (OBO N JOGEDE - MONKEY DEY CHOP BANANA)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Was Nigeria Given Her Name? / Nigeria Expunges History From School Curriculum - Does Anybody Know WHY? / What If The Igbo's & Yoruba's Team Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.