Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Webdesign : Can You Do It All? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Webdesign : Can You Do It All? (988 Views)

How To I Get Motivation To Practice Webdesign ? / Urgently Need A Very Good Webdesign With A Good Knowledge In Wordpress,sql / Webdesign Softwares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by MT: 12:53pm On Dec 02, 2008
As a webmaster, are you expected to know all the technologies that revolve round web-site building (like Javascript, css, dhtml etc) or you are MAJORLY expected to do the hard-code that run things on the server while you give out the client-side stuff to others to do?

Just being curious
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by quadrillio(m): 1:53pm On Dec 02, 2008
MT:

As a webmaster, are you expected to know all the technologies that revolve round web-site building (like Javascript, css, dhtml etc) or you are MAJORLY expected to do the hard-code that run things on the server while you give out the client-side stuff to others to do?

Just being curious

NB:Curiousity kills the Cat

all what u mention are necessary for a Web Designer not a Web master I believe you know the different.

Web Designer (primary school)

Web Developer (Secondary School)

Web Master (University) grin grin grin lipsrsealed
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by nuckecy(m): 2:48pm On Dec 02, 2008
@ MT

Yes as a Webmaster you are expected to know all the technologies to an EXTEND. Based on my experience I've discovered that IT is dynamic and if one needs to know the technologies it means you might not even have time to work. Its best one know at least 2 programming languages and other which might be relevant in the field to an extent.

Working alone in a huge job (example php or ajax or asp) wont pay to a good end if you choose to work. I strongly believe on team work to accomplish the goal at hand. As a team, others can troubleshoot errors and contribute to problems if one's head gets clustered. Thats my take in the question.

@ quadrillio

Am curious about where you belong. You should have given a straight suggestion on the question.

quadrillio:

all what u mention are necessary for a Web Designer not a Web master I believe you know the different.

Web Master (University)  grin  grin  grin  lipsrsealed

Well according your rating above I can't seem to see where you belong, you forgot that before one will call itself an WEBMASTER he must know what a DEVELOPER & DESIGNER should know, same to a DEVELOPER to DESIGNER.
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by MT: 2:51pm On Dec 02, 2008
@quadrillo,

all what u mention are necessary for a Web Designer not a Web master

I 'm sorry but you didnt answer the questions. Are you implying that a webmaster is not expected to know any of those tools mentioned above??.
ps. Let try and forget these "class" stuff and be more pragmatic

@nuckecy

Your contribution is highly valued!
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by yawatide(f): 3:38pm On Dec 02, 2008
MT:
This is why I don't call myself a "webmaster". There is more to it than writing code. For example, you have to know about server configuration, how to monitor site traffic, monitor database performance, etc. I am a web developer (not to be confused with web designer). And yes, it is good for you to know a little bit of everything and then concentrate on what you know that you know best. That way, you don't lose a job because you don't know one particular thing. Having said that, I am in favor of division of labor. Remember, "jack of all trades, master of none".

quadrillo:
I have read your original post up to 5 times now and each time I am more confused than the last. Are you implying, either literally or figuratively, that the different titles have anything to do with your education level or that one can't know all you stated concurrently?

Webmaster, web developer and web designer are all different in their roles and responsibilities. To that effect, it is possible to know them all or individually. Unfortunately, the different titles have been muddied up in the Nigerian context.

- Webmaster (in addition to the abv, wiki it)

- Web developer (css, javascript, xhtml, mid-tier languages (php, jsp, asp, etc), and maybe some backend languages (java, etc))

- Web designer (graphics (photoshop, fireworks, etc))
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 02, 2008
Knowing everything is good however, for most jobs html, css, javascript , php and dreamweaver will get you far. Most companies already have teams for handling their servers. Small companies trying to save money though will try to find someone who can do it all.
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by quadrillio(m): 1:41pm On Dec 04, 2008
yawa-ti-de:

MT:
This is why I don't call myself a "webmaster". There is more to it than writing code. For example, you have to know about server configuration, how to monitor site traffic, monitor database performance, etc. I am a web developer (not to be confused with web designer). And yes, it is good for you to know a little bit of everything and then concentrate on what you know that you know best. That way, you don't lose a job because you don't know one particular thing. Having said that, I am in favor of division of labor. Remember, "jack of all trades, master of none".

quadrillo:
I have read your original post up to 5 times now and each time I am more confused than the last. Are you implying, either literally or figuratively, that the different titles have anything to do with your education level or that one can't know all you stated concurrently?

Webmaster, web developer and web designer are all different in their roles and responsibilities. To that effect, it is possible to know them all or individually. Unfortunately, the different titles have been muddied up in the Nigerian context.

- Webmaster (in addition to the abv, wiki it)

- Web developer (css, javascript, xhtml, mid-tier languages (php, jsp, asp, etc), and maybe some backend languages (java, etc))

- Web designer (graphics (photoshop, fireworks, etc))

what I meant is that, as a webmaster you must have pass the stage of ordinary designer,

abi you don see a good secondary student who no sabi primary school maths.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT[
quote author=MT link=topic=202773.msg3170648#msg3170648 date=1228225869]
@quadrillo,

I 'm sorry but you didnt answer the questions. Are you implying that a webmaster is not expected to know any of those tools mentioned above??.
ps. Let try and forget these "class" stuff and be more pragmatic

@nuckecy

Your contribution is highly valued!
[/quote]

[quote author=nuckecy link=topic=202773.msg3170637#msg3170637 date=1228225714]
@ MT

Yes as a Webmaster you are expected to know all the technologies to an EXTEND. Based on my experience I've discovered that IT is dynamic and if one needs to know the technologies it means you might not even have time to work. Its best one know at least 2 programming languages and other which might be relevant in the field to an extent.

Working alone in a huge job (example php or ajax or asp) wont pay to a good end if you choose to work. I strongly believe on team work to accomplish the goal at hand. As a team, others can troubleshoot errors and contribute to problems if one's head gets clustered. Thats my take in the question.

@ quadrillio

Am curious about where you belong. You should have given a straight suggestion on the question.

Well according your rating above I can't seem to see where you belong, you forgot that before one will call itself an WEBMASTER he must know what a DEVELOPER & DESIGNER should know, same to a DEVELOPER to DESIGNER.

Incase u need to know am a web developer. and where do you belong. OGA GURU
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by DualCore1: 2:10pm On Dec 04, 2008
just know what functionality each technology can provide.
when ur job calls for a particular functionality, delve into learning how to implement the technology tht best provides tht functionality or call a pro.
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by quadrillio(m): 2:59pm On Dec 04, 2008
Dual Core:

just know what functionality each technology can provide.
when ur job calls for a particular functionality, delve into learning how to implement the technology that best provides that functionality or call a pro.

That is what I always do and its has been working for me, even when I call a pro I wouldn't allow him to do it, I'll ask him to teach me how to do it.

U too joooo
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by yawatide(f): 3:44pm On Dec 04, 2008
Can you do it all? Yes
Should you do it all? In an ideal world, no.

As they say, not that you should but you could. Or as another says, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Is this answer simple enough? wink
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by Sprumbaba: 8:09pm On Dec 04, 2008
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by DualCore1: 8:31pm On Dec 04, 2008
Sprumbaba:

Focus on your strenght and staff your weakness
thts the coolest joint i've smoked from nland today lol.
i like that!
tht's one quote tht needs to be on everyone's mind.

take a bow wink
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by MT: 3:44am On Dec 05, 2008
@sprumbaba,
Focus on your strenght and staff your weakness

@yawatide
Should you do it all? In an ideal world, no.

I guess both of you are actually saying the same thing, using different statements to describe it. Everything still points to division of labour, which I feel represent the larger view of the NL contributors on this thread.

@quadrillo

Web Master (University)       

Incase u need to know am a web developer. and where do you belong. OGA GURU
Are you implying that you are a secondary school student, going by your definition above?. The way you responded to the thread depicts a bit of arrogance. I have read some of your contributions on Nairaland, but with this, I think you  make me lose a bit of respect for you. Asking this question does not mean that I am a novice. I guess I have been around for quite a while. I just want to know how others are handling it, in case I have been handling it badly. Skills spiced with humility is the best!.

Lets keep the contributions rolling in please
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by OmniPotens(m): 10:51am On Dec 05, 2008
No man is an Island. You can only try but can never make it.

Take it or leave it.

If you think you can do it all, why do you have you fellow man around you then?
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by oludimuni: 1:06pm On Dec 10, 2008
Website Development is just building a house, where the bricklayer will not dare play the role of the capenter. If it is a serious website, to be out for quality business, no one man can do it alone,

You can also view one of my contribution to the forum here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-205014.0.html

Thanks.

Olu Oludimu

System Administrator ; Emmanuel Communications Limited

Admin; http://www.oakservers.net | http://www.oakmediang.com

E-mail : olu@oakmediang.com | Tel: 08051614052
Re: Webdesign : Can You Do It All? by yawatide(f): 1:18pm On Dec 10, 2008
Oludimuni,

The next time I see your shameless ad campaign on a thread other than that written up for advertisement, I will be reporting you to the moderator. E too much!

(1) (Reply)

Best Web Design / Please Review My Site / Can I Use Php With Ms Sql Database?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.