Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? (4227 Views)

Legal Proof That Stealing Is Different From Corruption. / Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ / Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by bilms(m): 11:06am On Dec 04, 2014
I have been wondering since our president, Goodluck Jonathan in response to a question about corruption said, stealing is not corruption.

Stealing is not corruption says GEJ. So i want to ask, what does this mean exactly? To me, its more like saying, we can steal all we want,its not corruption. If that is the case, so what is corruption?

Your view pls.
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by MrPresident1: 11:08am On Dec 04, 2014
Majority of Nigerians and thieves and corrupt people. GEJ is not a miracle worker.
More suffering for those Nigerians who refuse to repent from their evil ways.
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by bilms(m): 12:20pm On Dec 04, 2014
I dont get that
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by bilms(m): 9:01am On Dec 05, 2014
?
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by egift(m): 9:20am On Dec 05, 2014
It means Jonathan and his crew steal daily, to the extent he had to make it official. It was also intended to weaken those Nigerians that are patriotic in their workplace (many of whom are being persecuted and humiliated). Jonathan wanted them to lower their guard and understand that he support all the corrupt practices.

That statement is also the reason why after 6yrs in Power, President Jonathan is yet to prosecute anyone who is stealing from Nigeria.

Shey na like this we go dey deyyyy!

12 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 05, 2014
I will give you an example.

A committee was raised to assist people displaced by Boko Haram.
N50 million was voted for that purpose.

Stealing:
All the monies were shared appropriately and food stuffs purchased. One of the committee members given 1000 bags of rice for a particular groups of the people. He stole 100 bags and and sent only 900 bags. that is stealing. It has nothing to do with government or the committee. It will be wrong to accuse the government or the committee of corruption. If that man is caught, he is on his own.

Corruption:
The committee members would agree to share some of the money among themselves. They would buy 200 bags of rice and record 2000 and then share the money.
Here you can accuse the committee of corruption.

Stealing is an individual being greedy.
Corruption is a collective greed of the people working together.

He was saying if somebody working for the government stole, it is not enough to conclude the government is corrupt.
You have people working in banks that steal. That a staff of a bank stole does not mean the bank is corrupt.
Bank becomes corrupt when all the workers work together consciously to cheat their customers.

I blame Mr. President though for using such words to communicate to a people who are already closed minded.
He should have know that Nigeria is a jungle where survival of the most brutal is the only law.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by simpleseyi: 10:24am On Dec 05, 2014
Stealing is not corruption as stated by our president means that our president is not corrupt but he is just stealing.

15 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by brownlord: 10:37am On Dec 05, 2014
simpleseyi:
Stealing is not corruption as stated by our president means that our president is not corrupt but he is just stealing.

Dumb

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by bilms(m): 10:50am On Dec 05, 2014
lord,,,you say dumb? Ok.. you explain better
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by simpleseyi: 11:39am On Dec 05, 2014
noblezone:

Stealing:
All the monies were shared appropriately and food stuffs purchased. One of the committee members given 1000 bags of rice for a particular groups of the people. He stole 100 bags and and sent only 900 bags. that is stealing. It has nothing to do with government or the committee. It will be wrong to accuse the government or the committee of corruption. If that man is caught, he is on his own.

Corruption:
The committee members would agree to share some of the money among themselves. They would buy 200 bags of rice and record 2000 and then share the money.

He was saying if somebody working for the government stole, it is not enough to conclude the government is corrupt.
You have people working in banks that steal. That a staff of a bank stole does not mean the bank is corrupt.
Bank becomes corrupt when all the workers work together consciously to cheat their customers.

I blame Mr. President though for using such words to communicate to a people who are already closed minded.
He should have know that Nigeria is a jungle where survival of the most brutal is the only law.

My brother, with this your analysis and taking note of the bolded part, one of my friends here just concluded that the president is stealing because he is individually greedy by using over one billion naira to eat last year.

The president is also corrupt since you said that corruption is a collective greed of people working together, the president, his dumped mouth-piece Reuben Abati and Okupe, his world bank fraudster and fiance minister Ngozi Okojo-Iwealla, his numerous light-skinned bed-mates tongue namely Deizaini Allison-Madueke, Princess Stealer Oduah, kema Chikwe, Arunah Oteh e.t.c. have collectively been embezzling our oyel money.

10 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Dereformer(m): 12:01pm On Dec 05, 2014
simpleseyi:

My brother, with this your analysis and taking note of the bolded part, one of my friends here just concluded that the president is stealing because he is individually greedy by using over one billion naira to eat last year.

The president is also corrupt since you said that corruption is a collective greed of people working together, the president, his dumped mouth-piece Reuben Abati and Okupe, his world bank fraudster and fiance minister Ngozi Okojo-Iwealla, his numerous light-skinned bed-mates tongue namely Deizaini Allison-Madueke, Princess Stealer Oduah, kema Chikwe, Arunah Oteh e.t.c. have collectively been embezzling our oyel money.

did you say our oyel money?

Tell me how many barrels of oil your village produced since 1956:

7 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by simpleseyi: 12:14pm On Dec 05, 2014
Dereformer:

did you say our oyel money?

Tell me how many barrels of oil your village produced since 1956:

Two barrels grin. It is still better than nothing. I am from Ogun State and oyel has been discovered in commercial quantity, but so far, we have produced two barrels. That still does not give the president the right to use over one billion naira yearly to feed his hippopo wife and the baby hippopo son. Abi na human being them dey chop, even if na human being, these Nigeriens begging on the streets and the Beninoire under-aged kids brought daily to Lagos as domestic slaves don't cost more than 50,000 naira at the slave market.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 05, 2014
simpleseyi:

At the end, you have said nothing except your biased thoughts.
If you were to be arrested for defamation of character that Mr President beds Deziani, Oduah or any other you would swear with your tenth generations that you are no the owner of this account.

My post has nothing to do with whether Jonathan is stealing or not or even his government is corrupt.
I have only explained the difference between stealing and corruption with respect to governance.

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by chidexy(m): 12:43pm On Dec 05, 2014
simpleseyi:

When you make these allegations, does it ever occur to you that these ladies you so malign are people's wives and mothers? Show some respect even when you hate them

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Dec 05, 2014
STEALING is taking what is not yours without permission.

CORRUPTION is abuse of office for selfish interests: A person that uses his official position/power either elected or appointed (as in govt office) or private to benefit / enrich himself, families, friends or cronies to the detriment of others.

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by simpleseyi: 1:07pm On Dec 05, 2014
chidexy:

When you make these allegations, does it ever occur to you that these ladies you so malign are people's wives and mothers? Show some respect even when you hate them

No respect for looters.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by simpleseyi: 1:10pm On Dec 05, 2014
noblezone:

At the end, you have said nothing except your biased thoughts.
If you were to be arrested for defamation of character that Mr President beds Deziani, Oduah or any other you would swear with your tenth generations that you are no the owner of this account.

My post has nothing to do with whether Jonathan is stealing or not or even his government is corrupt.
I have only explained the difference between stealing and corruption with respect to governance.

Mr SSS, do you want my house address? Please ask Google. The president and his numerous bedmates should be sued for defamation of the characters of Nigerians by making the international community see all Nigerians as looters because of the way they have been looting and exporting Nigeria's money to international banks.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Orunto: 2:21pm On Dec 05, 2014
Stealing is pilfering. You steal, you are not caught, you can pray for the person you steal from to have more so that you too will have more to steal from. It is a specific law of God punishable as one offence. ................ Corruption is a whole lot of the character of satan. It is evil as it encompasses and embraces the violation of all the Ten(10) laws of God. Thou shall not steal is in corruption. Coveteousness is there. Adultery, disrespect for elders,, parents, employers, constituted authorities, athiestism etc etc are all there. Corruption is wickedness punishable as violation of all the righteousness of God. ........ In other words, stealing is one offence but corruption is Ten(10) offences committed in one. You steal once, twice or thrice and you repent, you are forgiven, but when you are corrupt, you are immoral, unethical, uncultured and infact you are insane and only God can save you from hell fire ........ You are ignorant, no knowledge of the consequencies of your actions interactions and movements. You are unwise and no focus for Growth, Unity and Progress of the Country you are in. You are a mother-bleep!
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by sademola: 2:39pm On Dec 05, 2014
Keep on deceiving each other. You don't have to collude to be corrupt! Stealing is an aspect of corruption!

noblezone:

Stealing:

Corruption:

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 05, 2014
simpleseyi:

Mr SSS, do you want my house address? Please ask Google. The president and his numerous bedmates should be sued for defamation of the characters of Nigerians by making the international community see all Nigerians as looters because of the way they have been looting and exporting Nigeria's money to international banks.

Hahahahaaha
See where you mind has gone to?
I am no SSS, police, army or Road Safety, Not even civil defense.
I am just me as ordinary as I am.
I am only pointing attention to your carelessness of speech i public.
While you are at liberty to express your fillings, it is unethical to abuse that freedom.

send me a mail: noble_concepts@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 05, 2014
sademola:
Keep on deceiving each other. You don't have to collude to be corrupt! Stealing is an aspect of corruption!

You simply do not understand the meaning of a context!

there is no argument about the fact that stealing is an aspect of corruption.

The point is this:

We are seven in my family! We are saddled with the responsibility of keeping money for the community.
One of then took some money on his capacity! He stole and is guilty, but you wont say my family is corrupt because one of us stole.

The family is corrupt when every one of us to collude. It is not just stealing anymore. It is a system and culture of stealing.
Saying a government is corrupt when an individual stole is like calling my a family of thieves because I stole.

There was a context Mr. President spoke on.
He was saying, because an individual in my government stole, does not mean my government is corrupt.

He was neither defending stealing nor defending corruption.

Now, whether he is stealing or his government is corrupt is another ball game altogether.
This thing is very simple to understand but it seems some of you are already blinded with sentiments.
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Lucasbalo(m): 3:23pm On Dec 05, 2014
simpleseyi:

No respect for looters.
Gbam. Stealing and corruption is the worst thing happening in Nigeria.
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by ba7man(m): 3:57pm On Dec 05, 2014
noblezone:

Stealing:

Corruption:

corruption is a means to steal.

If your dad told you the same thing as a child, you would have grown up to be a thief.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Ngwakwe: 4:00pm On Dec 05, 2014
Actually, Stealing is not corruption.

Corruption is a systematic loss of ethics, a moral depravity in a given society, institution or organisation. It is a culture of impunity misjudged by custodians of peoples resources ( such as power, wealth, representation etc) who misuse them for direct or/and indirect benefits.

Stealing is an individual stigma, a bad habit. Corruption is contagious and requires a broken system to operate while stealing is either conceived or spontaneous notwithstanding the known punishment before the act.

Someone may be politically correct by saying Nigerians are corrupt but it is abnormal to say Nigerians are thieves.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by angelsing(m): 4:57pm On Dec 05, 2014
noblezone:

You simply do not understand the meaning of a context!

there is no argument about the fact that stealing is an aspect of corruption.

The point is this:

We are seven in my family! We are saddled with the responsibility of keeping money for the community.
One of then took some money on his capacity! He stole and is guilty, but you wont say my family is corrupt because one of us stole.

The family is corrupt when every one of us to collude. It is not just stealing anymore. It is a system and culture of stealing.
Saying a government is corrupt when an individual stole is like calling my a family of thieves because I stole.

There was a context Mr. President spoke on.
He was saying, because an individual in my government stole, does not mean my government is corrupt.

He was neither defending stealing nor defending corruption.

Now, whether he is stealing or his government is corrupt is another ball game altogether.
This thing is very simple to understand but it seems some of you are already blinded with sentiments.
This ur perception will only apply if only one of the family member stole, one can not call the family a thief but if more than one person steals in that same family, they will be tag as family of thieves..In this case one can say Stealing and corruption are the same with different interpretation.
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Dec 05, 2014
angelsing:
This ur perception will only apply if only one of the family member stole, one can not call the family a thief but if more than one person steals in that same family, they will be tag as family of thieves..In this case one can say Stealing and corruption are the same with different interpretation.
That is exactly the point.

Get me correct.
Mr President was saying that someone stole in his government does not mean his government is corrupt.
That was the context of "stealing is not corruption".

Now whether it is one person or all the people in his government stole is not my concern here: that is another topic on its own.
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by KwoiZabo(m): 6:52pm On Dec 05, 2014
noblezone:

Stealing:

Corruption:

classic. so APC can rest now.
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by major466(m): 7:18pm On Dec 05, 2014
bilms:
I have been wondering since our president, Goodluck Jonathan in response to a question about corruption said, stealing is not corruption.

Stealing is not corruption says GEJ. So i want to ask, what does this mean exactly? To me, its more like saying, we can steal all we want,its not corruption. If that is the case, so what is corruption?

Your view pls.
I watched the interview on NTA where the President made the comment about stealing and corruption. What he meant was that, those who embezzle or steal public funds are thieves. That the appropriate word to describe any individual, public servant, or political office holder who embezzles public fund is "Thief" or "Thieves", not the word corruption. That using the word Corruption vaguely defines the crime but the word "Thief" as per Stealing (embezzlement) defines the crime. What crime was he talking about? Stealing of Public Funds. That's it. The President never conveyed the idea that stealing was OK and not corruption. Those spreading these malicious lies are mischief makers bend on making the President appear as someone condoning corruption.
Hope you understand.

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by KwoiZabo(m): 10:50pm On Dec 05, 2014
whatever it is, I know that Nigeria overtook 8 countries in the Global corruption perception index so GEJ is working.
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Horus(m): 11:12pm On Dec 05, 2014
Why play with the definition of words: stealing or corruption., the result is the same; money is missing to build roads, hospitals, schools, railways, etc

1 Like

Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by bilms(m): 12:08am On Dec 06, 2014
wink
Re: What Do You Understand By Stealing Is Not Corruption? by Adminisher: 12:42am On Dec 06, 2014
noblezone:

Stealing:

Corruption:

WRONG, WRONG WRONG.
You got it all wrong. Diverting the rice singly or collectively is stealing all the same. So your examples 1 and 2 are one and the same thing.

Corruption is usually done at a higher level and does not involve actual physical asset or monetary theft. Getting contractors to supply the rice and setting the price such that a given percentage accrues to the contract awardees is corruption. Corruption is sophisticated and difficult to investigate and convict unlike stealing which is always glorified petty crime no matter the amount.

What the president was saying (very unfortunately) was that CATEGORY 1, which is stealing is a police case. CATEGORY 2 which is more complex and difficult to prove is an ICPC case. The president was correct in his classification but he missed the point completely because he was just regurgitating the excuses that the ICPC and EFCC gave him for inaction. If a good president hears that 'stealing' cases were being reported to ICPC/EFCC, his next instruction should be that all such cases above a certain value wrongly referred to the ICPC/EFCC should be immediately reported to the police and prosecuted within 2 weeks or so. A good president does not come out and rehash the excuses of his underlings for failure before the public like a tape recorder. Also, most countries don't have EFCC and ICPC, it was because of the large number of corruption cases in Nigeria's gov't that ICPC was set up and EFCC was mostly for 419 and stolen money illegally transferred abroad so it was wrong for the president to suggest that corruption is not among the four most important problems facing Nigeria. Corruption is the only problem facing Nigeria. Nigerians are the smartest people in the whole world and this country would be great if there were no corruption. A good example is money and sex for grades, there is no stealing involved but that is high class corruption that is damaging the standards of our young graduates who now have to compete in a globalised world. Who knows how many defective doctors and engineers we have so trained. It is when we hear of poor diagnosis or plane crashes that we begin to know the damage.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FIVE PDP GOVS UNDER WATCH OVER BUHARI / Ihedioha Begs Rochas For Forgiveness (photo) / Updated Profile Of Late Lt Col Mohd Abu Ali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.