Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,747 members, 7,831,383 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. (48538 Views)

2 First-class Yoruba Kings To Preach At Christian Revival / 5 Funny Things Pastors Do On The Pulpit. / The Lie "We" Preached From The Pulpit.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by marvisjoy: 8:32pm On Mar 15, 2009
todak,is like you are missing all these,go and read the post from the beggining,you will understand cos i just came on board and i read through all and i understood what the bible clearly states about women mounting the pulpit to preach
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 6:05pm On Mar 17, 2009
exactly todak go back and read all through
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by luvbooks(f): 10:18am On Mar 18, 2009
segyemaro:

i have never seen a woman preached in catholic church,i mean mounting the pulpit and take authority over men and preach,i have never seen,this happen only in the penticostals,where the church belongs to me and my wife, PAPA and MAMA

@ Segyemaro; Just curious, are you a Catholic? Because I dont think you should generalize the pentecostal churches. The system you spoke of doesnt exist in the pentecostal churches I know of. But if you disagree, you are free to mention real- life examples. I'm trying to be polite so as not to cause trouble on this thread, but i have to say that that post was rather thoughtless.
Sorry for digressing from the main topic, everyone.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by AfroCynic: 5:04pm On Mar 18, 2009
This issue leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to be honest but I think it is in line not only with the patriachial interpretation of religion but of African culture as a whole.

Can anyone tell me if Paul's letter were directed by God of if they were his own beliefs, thanks.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Mowire: 6:22pm On Mar 18, 2009
AfroCynic:

Can anyone tell me if Paul's letter were directed by God of if they were his own beliefs, thanks.
1 Cor. 14:37 says "If anybody thinks he is a prophet or spiritually gifted, let him acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord's command."

That should answer your question.

I frankly see this issue as indicating that as Xtians (priests and laity) we may be lacking far more knowledge of God than we are ready to admit. How will the verdict on the day of reckoning be if all disobedience end in damnation? I cannot imagine how many Pastor/Pastor Mrs that will be found on the wrong side of God.

I say the above because every practice in flagrant contradiction to the words of 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 and 1 Timothy 2:9-15 is disobedience. It does not matter who is ratifying it.

This is one of those areas where the Pentecostal fellowship has missed it.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 6:42pm On Mar 18, 2009
luvbooks,i am a pentecostal,i hope i have answered ur question.i wouldnt want to support the pentecostal when they do what is wrong,i have enquired from my catholic friends,and i was told that women doesnt mount pulpit.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by marvisjoy: 8:56pm On Mar 18, 2009
you does not need to belong to a pentecostal or catholic to be able to know what your bible says and what is right and wrong.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 7:59pm On Mar 19, 2009
thats right
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by realpastor: 7:18pm On Mar 22, 2009
i dont believe in women standing on the alter to preach and the Bible is against it too.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 2:14am On Mar 31, 2009
So lets face the fact,the bible is against women preaching P-E-R-I-O-D.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by biina: 4:04am On Mar 31, 2009
A lot of people on this thread sound like pharisee and Sadducee, who knew the law but failed to grasp the reason for the law.

I am, for the most part, against women leading churches, not because it is an abominable sin (as some seem to think), rather because the issue is a slippery slope. Hence, I feel there might be possible exceptions.

The advice given by Paul gives a simple solution to an otherwise tacky problem. Orderliness is required in the house of God, and thus granting spiritual authority to women, while maintaining the physical authority of men, would become a problem. A woman who has spiritual authority over her husband could easily usurp the physical authority from him (be it justifiable or not), and also the man will likely find it difficult to submit to his wife on spiritual matters.

If you follow Paul's advice, and maintain that all authority resides with men, then your path is more direct, because, like in most client-server or master-slave relationships, a one-way chain of command makes the system run efficiently (ask the guys in the military).

On the other hand, if you decide to allow women to hold authority in the church, then you are at risk for other things (like disharmony in the home) that might be a bye-product of that choice. Does that make this choice itself sinful? I say no, but it definitely exposes one to more risks.

In making choices, I recommend that the best interest of the church should be maintained. In situations that a woman has a higher spiritual understanding relative to the men, while she can temporarily teach to help uplift these men, she should be careful in the example she sets for others by being subservient to her husband. The men too should be challenged to elevate their understanding to the required level. A house divided upon itself can not prosper.

Women in the role of pastors, I will classify along with things like polygamy and drinking, they are not sinful acts themselves, but their consequence could lead to sin for you and/or others. To me, they are not worth the risk.

1 Like

Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Nobody: 11:04am On Mar 31, 2009
@Topic.
Who says? God can use anybody not minding d sex thingy*
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 11:56am On Mar 31, 2009
That was a gud submission
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 31, 2009
cool cool
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by KunleOshob(m): 12:15pm On Mar 31, 2009
@brein
I am certain segyemaro was not refering to you he was refering to biina so stop feeling cool tongue
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 2:15pm On Mar 31, 2009
I was refering to biina's submission
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by alfredpoto: 3:42pm On Mar 31, 2009
Women re not to preach in d pulpit where dear is men but in women fellowship dey can preach in d pulpit dey can also sing in d church but not in d pulpit.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by realpastor: 3:48pm On Mar 31, 2009
That is what the bible says, women can officiates in all women meetings or youth programs. But most of this pastors wives would'nt want to hear this ooo
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 11:21pm On Mar 31, 2009
Realpastor hope your wife is not reading this?
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Tasma: 11:55am On Apr 01, 2009
This sort of arguments tend to go round and round in circles. Problem is it's another part of the bible that shows the bible is largely tainted with the cultural views and norms of the people that wrote it. It's impossible in this present age to justify verses that clearly say women should keep silent and be subservient to their husbands. Women nowadays are leaders in many facets in and out of the church. Question is how can people still try to claim that the bible is the inerrant word of God. If the bible is then it means God did not realise that sometime in the future woman will have more or less the same rights as men.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Mowire: 1:40pm On Apr 01, 2009
Tasma:

Question is how can people still try to claim that the bible is the inerrant word of God. If the bible is then it means God did not realise that sometime in the future woman will have more or less the same rights as men.

I don't know where you are coming from, faithwise, friend. But God could not have been ignorant in future (the present), that future is not however necessarily His desire.

God had stated what is good or man form the beginning. The present situation that run counter to His instructions as laid out in Bible is just a continuation of man's rebellion. We cannot be wiser than our creator. Simple.

However the woman is not made the slave of the man. But the roles are different. I suppose that is because He that made us knows what capability He has put in each one of us.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by mazaje(m): 3:11pm On Apr 01, 2009
Tasma:

This sort of arguments tend to go round and round in circles. Problem is it's another part of the bible that shows the bible is largely tainted with the cultural views and norms of the people that wrote it. It's impossible in this present age to justify verses that clearly say women should keep silent and be subservient to their husbands. Women nowadays are leaders in many facets in and out of the church. Question is how can people still try to claim that the bible is the inerrant word of God. If the bible is then it means God did not realise that sometime in the future woman will have more or less the same rights as men.

grin grin grin paul did not know that things will change and gender equality will see the light of the day in some parts of the world when he wrote his letters. . . .
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Tasma: 3:42pm On Apr 01, 2009
Mowire:

I don't know where you are coming from, faithwise, friend. But God could not have been ignorant in future (the present), that future is not however necessarily His desire.

God had stated what is good or man form the beginning. The present situation that run counter to His instructions as laid out in Bible is just a continuation of man's rebellion. We cannot be wiser than our creator. Simple.

However the woman is not made the slave of the man. But the roles are different. I suppose that is because He that made us knows what capability He has put in each one of us.

Interesting, there are verses in the bible that talk about slave rights, people being stoned to death for one sin or the other. This verses were also supposed to be God's word. Today we would not consider following any such barbaric laws. From your argument the present situation where we don't follow this laws is due to man's rebellion. Things should really be as the bible describes right?
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by DeReloaded: 3:52pm On Apr 01, 2009
women must not preach but they must pay tithe sha.

Right?

hahahhahahaha grin grin
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by KunleOshob(m): 4:05pm On Apr 01, 2009
Tasma:

Interesting, there are verses in the bible that talk about slave rights, people being stoned to death for one sin or the other. This verses were also supposed to be God's word. Today we would not consider following any such barbaric laws. From your argument the present situation where we don't follow this laws is due to man's rebellion. Things should really be as the bible describes right?

The truth is that men smuggled their own words into the scriptures over the years and that is why you find some of this contradictory things in the bible. Even though most christians are ignorant of this fact and they fanatically defend the bible even when somethings there are contrary to the faith and teachings of our lord Jesus christ. The following passage provides biblical evidence that the scriptures have been distorted by men from the days of old:

Jeremiah 8:8-10:

8 “‘How can you say, “We are wise because we have the word of the Lord,”
     when your teachers have twisted the scriptures by writing lies?
   9 These wise teachers will fall
     into the trap of their own foolishness,
  for they have rejected the word of the Lord.      Are they so wise after all?
  10 I will give their wives to others
     and their farms to strangers.
  From the least to the greatest,
     their lives are ruled by greed.
  Yes, even my prophets and priests are like that.
     They are all frauds.

This is very sad but it is true and it explains a lot of discrepancies found in the bible.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Mowire: 4:51pm On Apr 01, 2009
Tasma:

You've forgotten that that was before the coming of the Lord Jesus, and one the reasons he came was to ensure that such things don't continue to happen. He showed the superior God's opinion in such matter when dealing with issue of the woman caught in adultery.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Tasma: 6:51pm On Apr 01, 2009
Mowire:

You've forgotten that that was before the coming of the Lord Jesus, and one the reasons he came was to ensure that such things don't continue to happen. He showed the superior God's opinion in such matter when dealing with issue of the woman caught in adultery.

First off there are several barbaric instructions in the old testament, the case of a woman caught in adultery is just one. Now I find this statement of yours very curious "the superior God's opinion". What exactly does that mean? God is all knowing, all powerful, unchanging. Can God have an opinion that is more "superior" than another opinion of his?

You insinuated that women being preachers now is due to man's rebellious nature. I then said that by your assumption God instructions in the old testament times were the "correct" instructions. This should also include laws about stoning of sinners, genocide during war etc. You turned around to say that Jesus Christ (God) came to amend this laws. Laws God himself had given beforehand. I wonder if you see how convoluted this argument is becoming?
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by mazaje(m): 7:13pm On Apr 01, 2009
Mowire:

the story of the woman with adultery is a later christian addition, it exist only in one of the gospel accounts(matthew). the story does not exist in the earliest manuscripts of the gosple according to matthew. . . .it was later added by one of the scribes. . . .
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by segyemaro(m): 7:31pm On Apr 01, 2009
This is realy getting interesting.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by realpastor: 3:13am On Apr 02, 2009
Yes it is,but i dont know why people refuse to believe or take what the bible says on this issue,a woman should not mount the pulpit to preach in a congregation where there are men.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by marvisjoy: 8:06am On Apr 03, 2009
That from the pastor's mouth.
Re: Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. by Truth11: 10:00am On Apr 03, 2009
mazaje:

the story of the woman with adultery is a later christian addition, it exist only in one of the gospel accounts(matthew). the story does not exist in the earliest manuscripts of the gosple according to matthew. . . .it was later added by one of the scribes. . . .

Mazaje,
There is no story of woman with adultery in mathew!! Did they deposit the dead sea scrolls with you, maybe you are withholding from print so you have more information than others?!! cheesy(joking)

You act like a jest on the christian chat with your inputs even in serious topics!

Have you ever read the Bible? I doubt you have read it even once. or even some books of the Bible have you read till now? Read the Bible, with humility of a child, you will be blessed and also be a blessing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

We Want Fridays Declared Work-free For Muslims Like Sundays – MURIC Director / The Lords Chosen: Deaf And Dumb Couple For 35yrs And 40yrs Healed Simultaneously / Ghanaian Pastor Stabbed To Death By Nephew During Church Service (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.