Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,743 members, 7,820,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Should We Stop Giving Tithe? - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should We Stop Giving Tithe? (20157 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / How Do We Stop Islam ? / Why I Will Not Stop Giving To The Work Of God (part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by ajokeakin: 10:24am On Jun 06, 2009
pilgrim,you are a pain in the ass,you are just confusing those that are far from their bible.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 07, 2009
Pilgrim,
Your penchant for mischief has been exposed.Everyone can now see clearly where you are even If you decide to deny it .

You mean we should just fold our hands amd allow criminals get away with their antics?
A lot of people are ignorant of the truths about tithing and must be educated.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 7:10pm On Jun 07, 2009
ajokeakin:

pilgrim,you are a pain in the ass,you are just confusing those that are far from their bible.

chukwudi44:

Pilgrim,
Your penchant for mischief has been exposed.Everyone can now see clearly where you are even If you decide to deny it .

You mean we should just fold our hands amd allow criminals get away with their antics?

Dear ajokeakin and chukwudi44,

I can stomach as much detractions as you might've stored up, but how do such otiose remarks demonstrate you have grown beyond such childish rants?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 8:32am On Jun 08, 2009
Hmmn
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 11:55am On Jun 08, 2009
chukwudi44:

Pilgrim,

That's true, Pilgrim.1 why are you so hell bent on defending the the antics of this tithe preaching pastors even when it is obvious they go about preaching it the wrong way. As christians are we meant to condone twisting of the scriptures?? Much as you argue that "a lot" of christians give tithe willingly [with the the full knowledge that they are not oblidged to] we know that most preachers preachit as compulsary which is wrong. My question is why are you so defensive of something you have agreed is wrong?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by topeokunol: 7:39pm On Jun 11, 2009
because pilgrim is benefitting from it,she is protecting the family tradition
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 2:36pm On Jun 12, 2009
KunleOshob:

That's true, Pilgrim.1 why are you so hell bent on defending the the antics of this tithe preaching pastors even when it is obvious they go about preaching it the wrong way. As christians are we meant to condone twisting of the scriptures?? Much as you argue that "a lot" of christians give tithe willingly [with the the full knowledge that they are not oblidged to] we know that most preachers preachit as compulsary which is wrong. My question is why are you so defensive of something you have agreed is wrong?

@Pilgrim.1
Still waiting for your response to the above.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by marvisjoy: 11:56am On Jun 13, 2009
may be she is sleeping.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by lawwyblack(m): 11:34pm On Jul 07, 2009
it was never recorded that Jesus himself paid tithes and for sure he came to destroy the notion of "religion" thats why he was often confronted by pharisees and saducees. he lived a life which he intends we live too, a man of character who loved selflessly. Shi ke nah! shocked
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 9:24am On Jul 08, 2009
Gaskiya
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 11:02am On Jul 08, 2009
lawwyblack:

it was never recorded that Jesus himself paid tithes and for sure he came to destroy the notion of "religion" thats why he was often confronted by pharisees and saducees. he lived a life which he intends we live too, a man of character who loved selflessly. Shi ke nah! shocked
But men love religion[especially the filthy lucre that obtains from it] and they are even willing to go against God himself if they are stopped from practising "religion" after all God's son was killed becos the went against the religin of the pharisees. Unfortunately those who claim to accept the son of God today have gone back to the religion of those who killed him and they just use his name as a front.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 9:31pm On Jul 08, 2009
Gbam
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by ilosiwaju: 4:36pm On Jul 11, 2009
GBAM again jare!
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by marvisken: 9:51am On Jul 13, 2009
kunle,you inspires me alot. i have learnt alot from your contributions on this nairaland.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Nezan(m): 9:58am On Jul 13, 2009
Tithing is a matter strictly between you and your God, though some preacher's are going about it wrongly
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by omoruyilag: 5:08pm On Jul 22, 2009
yes ooooooooo
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by ogajim(m): 3:30pm On Jul 24, 2009
Those "gospel pimps" and their supporters are only defending the "family business" when Christians challenge their doctrines for being fake like the suits they wear.
Freewill giving is alright but using the Bible to rip people off is WRONG and should be condemned by all except those who benefit from it but we will pray for them to see the light and abstain from it going forward. If you want to steal from me, have the dignity to grab a gun (which I may or may not have depending on the circumstance) but not the Bible that is available for every one to study and meditate on.
I bet majority of those who pay tithe are just conforming or scared into paying it and not really paying from the heart, we need to educate them of this wrongful practice, it is our DUTY.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by anonimi: 11:07pm On Jul 24, 2009
ogajim:

I bet majority of those who pay tithe are just conforming or scared into paying it and not really paying from the heart, we need to educate them of this wrongful practice, it is our DUTY.

it is not only our DUTY but rather it is our CHRISTian duty to educate others and lead them to study their bibles beyond the overflogged blessing & curses texts.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Nobody: 9:16am On Jul 25, 2009
ogajim:

If you want to steal from me, have the dignity to grab a gun (which I may or may not have depending on the circumstance) but not the Bible that is available for every one to study and meditate on.

Spot on simply spot on cheesy it is actually more dignifying to grab a gun and commit armed robbery than to use the name of God to extort and collect money from people.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Thor(m): 9:19am On Jul 25, 2009
These people are the Yahoo Boys of religion angry angry angry
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Nobody: 9:57am On Jul 25, 2009
Thor:

They are actually worse than yahoo boys
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by MrCrackles(m): 9:59am On Jul 25, 2009
Jagoon:

They are actually worse than yahoo boys

Thor:

grin cheesy grin
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by seyenko(m): 12:36pm On Jul 27, 2009
Matthew
28:16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. 28:17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in
earth. 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen

Matthew
Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 22:38 This is the first and great commandment. 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

I can't see where Jesus commanded his disciples to collect tithe as part of what he taught them or commanded them.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 2:18pm On Jul 27, 2009
Seyenko,i beg tell them
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by seyenko(m): 2:55pm On Jul 27, 2009
Two Men Were Shipwrecked Near An Island

When they landed ashore, one of them began screaming and yelling, "We're going to die! We're going to die! There's no food! No water! We're going to die!"

The second man leaned calmly against a palm tree.

When the first man saw how calm his friend was, he went crazy and shouted, "Don't you understand?! We're going to die!!" Undisturbed, the second man replied, "You don't understand, I make $100,000 a week."

Dumbfounded, the first man looked at him and asked, "What difference does that make?!? We're on an island with no food and no water! We're going to DIE!!!"

The second man answered, "You just don't get it. I make $100,000 a week and I tithe ten percent on that $100,000 a week. Wherever I am, my pastor will be sure to find me!"
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 27, 2009
seyenko:

Two Men Were Shipwrecked Near An Island

When they landed ashore, one of them began screaming and yelling, "We're going to die! We're going to die! There's no food! No water! We're going to die!"

The second man leaned calmly against a palm tree.

When the first man saw how calm his friend was, he went crazy and shouted, "Don't you understand?! We're going to die!!" Undisturbed, the second man replied, "You don't understand, I make $100,000 a week."
Dumbfounded, the first man looked at him and asked, "What difference does that make?!? We're on an island with no food and no water! We're going to DIE!!!"
The second man answered, "You just don't get it. I make $100,000 a week and I tithe ten percent on that $100,000 a week. Wherever I am, my pastor will be sure to find me!"
grin grin grin
I guess there are some benefits in paying tithes after all tongue
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 4:39pm On Jul 31, 2009
Na wa !
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Nobody: 4:09am On Dec 08, 2009
My husband and I are beginning to attend the Redeeemed Christian Church of God. I find the pastor there has spoke on Abundance 3 of the 4 weeks I have attended. Each Sunday moring someone stands up and tells us we must pay our 10% tithe because this belongs to God and we must pay offerings on top of the tithe. My husband told me if we dont tithe we are not complete christians. I believe we are saved by grace, but he says to stop saying this and not think about God's grace. He took me to Timothy and showed me about caring for the widows etc. I read in the next chapter that we are to be ware of the false prophets that will take our money. He didnt care about that part of the scripture. What can I do about this because I want to serve God, but I dont feel this is a place where I can grow spiritually. I feel condemnation and controll. I dont want to go with him anymore, but I desire for us to attend the same church. How can he see that the teaching here is not the truth? Does anyone have an answer? I feel so disgruntled about this and need help? I am praying about it daily, but so far have not got an answer.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 9:18am On Dec 08, 2009
@leahsarahk
Tithing is definitely not for christians and the meaning has been twisted and mis -applied becos of the greed of men. I suggest you read this thread from the beginning to the end you might learn a thing or two on the truth about tithes here. Also read deuteronomy 14:22-29 to see the true definition and practise of tithes as opposd to the twisted version being practised today. You can also read Hebrews 7:5-19 you would see were tithing was abolished in verse 11,12 & 18. It is simply not required for christians. At best it should be preached as voluntary and not mandatory. Any pastor that preaches otherwise in my opinion is simply a false teacher or is incompetent, either way he does not qaulify to be a preacher by the christian standard. I would really be willing to help you understand and back it up with scriptures which you can discuss with your husband to show that tithing is not meant for christians to practice, it was part of the Jewish law whichis not binding on christians. It actually contradicts the christian faith. I live ou with Galatians 5:4 to read the dangers of depending on keeping the laws of which tithing is part of.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by kolaoloye(m): 10:22am On Dec 08, 2009
KunleOshob:

@leahsarahk
Tithing is definitely not for christians and the meaning has been twisted and mis -applied becos of the greed of men. I suggest you read this thread from the beginning to the end you might learn a thing or two on the truth about tithes here. Also read deuteronomy 14:22-29 to see the true definition and practise of tithes as opposd to the twisted version being practised today. You can also read Hebrews 7:5-19 you would see were tithing was abolished in verse 11,12 & 18. It is simply not required for christians. At best it should be preached as voluntary and not mandatory. Any pastor that preaches otherwise in my opinion is simply a false teacher or is incompetent, either way he does not qaulify to be a preacher by the christian standard. I would really be willing to help you understand and back it up with scriptures which you can discuss with your husband to show that tithing is not meant for christians to practice, it was part of the Jewish law whichis not binding on christians. It actually contradicts the christian faith. I live ou with Galatians 5:4 to read the dangers of depending on keeping the laws of which tithing is part of.
Revd. Kunle grin
E ku ise Oluwa,Oluwa yoo ma so agbara di otun.
I knew it all along that you will never give up this course.

Please don't bother asking about my stand on this issue now.
Remain blessed. grin
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 10:56am On Dec 08, 2009
@Kola
It is not likely i desist o, i believe a lot of christians are being deceived and led astray by this false doctrine. See forinstance leahsarahk's husband believing they are not true christians if they don't tithe even when it is glaring that neither Jesus nor the Apostles ever taught or preached tithing. The weightier matters of christianity such as love for others has been thrown to the back sit whilst man made doctrines have taken the front sit. The truth must the told and the church must be made to return to christ else most christians could actually loose their salvation.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 08, 2009
I appreciate your help and scriptures to back it up. I do need help to explain this to my husband. He may not listen to me. For some reason he thinks I am wrong and that he being from the Redeemed Church is the only true christian in this relationship. He told me The Redeemed Church is the Church christ is returning for, but I said what about the other churches? I just feel this church is cultic and that my husband has been indoctrinated into thier beliefs. Also am I wrong to find my own church and not attend his?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. / 3 Powerful Things Your Tongue Will Do To Your Life / RCCG Has Over 200,000 Pastors In Nigeria — Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.