Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Nigerians Competing For Other Countries :golden Obikwelu Takes 200m Title - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerians Competing For Other Countries :golden Obikwelu Takes 200m Title (961 Views)

Nigerian-born Sprinter Francis Obikwelu Still Running For Portugal At 36 / Blessing Okagbare Wins 200m Gold / Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Competing For Other Countries :golden Obikwelu Takes 200m Title by adconline(m): 5:39am On Aug 11, 2006
Golden Obikwelu takes 200m title
Portugal's Francis Obikwelu made it a sprint double when he went away from the field to take 200m gold at the European Championships in Gothenburg.
Obikwelu, who won gold in the 100m on Tuesday, clocked 20.01 ahead of Sweden's Johan Wissman in silver and Britain's Marlon Devonish in third.

Both Obikwelu and Wissman ran national records, while Devonish clocked 20.54.

Devonish said: "I'm disappointed. It's a shame that I didn't run as well in the final as I did in the first round."

Replay: Obikwelu storms to sprint double
Obikwelu, the clear pre-race favourite, led off the bend and accelerated away to win by three metres from the impressive Wissman.

He became the first man since Italian Pietro Mennea in 1978 to win both sprints at the same Europeans.

His time on a damp, windy evening was the best by any European this year and his fastest since he became eligible to compete for Portugal four years ago.

"I did not have a single doubt that I was going to be the winner," said Obikwelu, who was born the year Mennea made history by claiming both sprints at the Prague championships.

"This gold medal is more important and more precious to me than the one for the 100 metres.

"I bet you there will be a lot of partying in Portugal tonight."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/athletics/4781453.stm

Published: 2006/08/10 19:05:05 GMT

(1) (Reply)

Nations Cup Qualifiers / Nba Finals Spurs Vs Cavaliers / Nation's Cup 2010 In Angola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.