Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,426 members, 7,812,254 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:46 AM

In What Year Was Jesus Born? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In What Year Was Jesus Born? (3825 Views)

Was Jesus Born On Christmas Day? / Was Jesus Born On December 25? Is December 25 Jesus' Birthday? / Where Was Jesus Born, In A House Or Manger? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:58pm On Dec 07, 2014
Though the Gregorian Calendar supposedly began at Christ's birth, do we actually know the year Jesus was born?

http://www.gotquestions.org/what-year-was-Jesus-born.html

Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by Olukokosir(m): 11:00pm On Dec 07, 2014
dec 25
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by Rossikk(m): 11:02pm On Dec 07, 2014
Who wrote the New Testament?

That's what you should be asking yourself first.

https://www.nairaland.com/1921937/wrote-new-testament
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by nobilis: 7:46am On Dec 08, 2014
Matthew said Jesus was born when Herod the Great was king of Judea.
Luke said Jesus was born during the census of Caeser Augustus.
But there is a historical 9-year gap between the reign of King Herod and the census of Caeser Augustus.
So you see, even the gospel writers who claim to have been led by the Holy Spirit don't even know when their master was born.
And it is also worthy of note that no one knows the exact date of Jesus's death. Some say he died in 30AD, others in 33AD, and yet others at 36AD.

If Jesus wielded as much influence as he is rumored to have wielded in Jerusalem, then why are facts about his life not set down in black and white? If he was a real historical figure, then there shouldn't be such discrepancies.

Even people who were born long before him, like Socrates, Plato, Alexander the Great, Julius Caeser, Augustus Caeser, all have exact dates of birth and death.
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:05am On Dec 08, 2014
nobilis:

Matthew said Jesus was born when Herod the Great was king of Judea.
Luke said Jesus was born during the census of Caeser Augustus.
But there is a historical 9-year gap between the reign of King Herod and the census of Caeser Augustus.
So you see, even the gospel writers who claim to have been led by the Holy Spirit don't even know when their master was born.
And it is also worthy of note that no one knows the exact date of Jesus's death. Some say he died in 30AD, others in 33AD, and yet others at 36AD.

If Jesus wielded as much influence as he is rumored to have wielded in Jerusalem, then why are facts about his life not set down in black and white? If he was a real historical figure, then there shouldn't be such discrepancies.

Even people who were born long before him, like Socrates, Plato, Alexander the Great, Julius Caeser, Augustus Caeser, all have exact dates of birth and death.

Are you sure of your own DOB? undecided
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by nobilis: 8:47pm On Dec 09, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Are you sure of your own DOB? undecided

As always.
Christians skirting around any raised issue.
Kontinuu!!
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:02am On Dec 10, 2014
nobilis:

As always.
Kontinuu!!

Simple question! Do you believe in your own date of birth?
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:02am On Dec 10, 2014
nobilis:

As always.
Kontinuu!!

Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by nobilis: 12:04pm On Dec 10, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Yes.
I believe in my own date of birth
My mother bears witness to that date
My birth certificate bears witness to that date.
The birth register in the hospital where I was born bears witness to that date
The birth registry in local government headquarters where my birth was registered bears witness to that date
The fact that I achieved my pubertal milestones within the same period as my peers and contemporaries bears witness to that date.
So, yes, I believe in my own date of birth.
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:19pm On Dec 10, 2014
nobilis:

Yes.
I believe in my own date of birth
My mother bears witness to that date
My birth certificate bears witness to that date.
The birth register in the hospital where I was born bears witness to that date
The birth registry in local government headquarters where my birth was registered bears witness to that date
The fact that I achieved my pubertal milestones within the same period as my peers and contemporaries bears witness to that date.
So, yes, I believe in my own date of birth.

All these facts are acceptable in a court of law as proof to a judge and jury as to your DoB.

Similarly, Garry T. Ansdell (D.D.) made a case out of this when he stated that "The resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead is evidential:

1. the empty tomb still exists,
2. His birth record is documented all the way back to Adam and Eve,
3. the four Gospels record His death;
4. the location, even the names of the political leaders who sentenced Him are historically recorded;
5. there were more than five hundred eyewitnesses who saw Jesus after the resurrection, recorded by the New Testament writers;
6. the very existence of the Christian faith, based on His death and resurrection;
7. the cultural and political evidence at the time, including the Roman calender separating all of time into Before Christ (B.C.) and in the year of our Lord (A.D.)."

Are you still doubting the existence of the Lord Jesus Christ?
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by nobilis: 8:57pm On Dec 10, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

All these facts are acceptable in a court of law as proof to a judge and jury as to your DoB.

Similarly, Garry T. Ansdell (D.D.) made a case out of this when he stated that "The resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead is evidential:

1. the empty tomb still exists,
2. His birth record is documented all the way back to Adam and Eve,
3. the four Gospels record His death;
4. the location, even the names of the political leaders who sentenced Him are historically recorded;
5. there were more than five hundred eyewitnesses who saw Jesus after the resurrection, recorded by the New Testament writers;
6. the very existence of the Christian faith, based on His death and resurrection;
7. the cultural and political evidence at the time, including the Roman calender separating all of time into Before Christ (B.C.) and in the year of our Lord (A.D.)."

Are you still doubting the existence of the Lord Jesus Christ?

LMAO
1. If the Roman Calendar divided all of time into Before Christ and Anno Domini, why is it that, according to the article you posted, Jesus Birth occurred in the period Before Christ. Why didn't Jesus Birth occur in 1 Anno Domini. Of what essence is the Before Christ appellation if Jesus was reportedly born before christ?

2. All you're presenting above is based on hearsay which has been handed down from generation and also based on biblical accounts which I've shown you are flawed at best.
During Jesus's supposed time on earth, there were notable historians among both the Jews and the Romans living in Jerusalem. Aside from all your bible stories, mention one historian that gave an account of Jesus Christ or even mentioned him and his Jerusalem-wide influence. Just name one Jewish or Roman historian.

2 Likes

Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:28pm On Dec 13, 2014
nobilis:

LMAO
1. If the Roman Calendar divided all of time into Before Christ and Anno Domini, why is it that, according to the article you posted, Jesus Birth occurred in the period Before Christ. Why didn't Jesus Birth occur in 1 Anno Domini. Of what essence is the Before Christ appellation if Jesus was reportedly born before christ?

That is the question of this thread.

nobilis:

2. All you're presenting above is based on hearsay which has been handed down from generation and also based on biblical accounts which I've shown you are flawed at best.
During Jesus's supposed time on earth, there were notable historians among both the Jews and the Romans living in Jerusalem. Aside from all your bible stories, mention one historian that gave an account of Jesus Christ or even mentioned him and his Jerusalem-wide influence. Just name one Jewish or Roman historian.

Josephus, for instance.
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by nobilis: 10:31pm On Dec 13, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

That is the question of this thread.

Josephus, for instance.

Josephus is the most prominent Jewish historian from that era. I wonder if you've read his books as concerning the history of the Jews and most importantly, the history of the Jews during the era Jesus was supposed to have lived.

First and foremost, if Jesus was very influential, why is it that it is only one paragraph that was found about him in Josephus's book.
And that passage was not in Josephus's original book but appeared in that book after the book found its way into the hands of a particular church father.

I'll advise you to read and scrutinise that paragraph. I don't wanna quote it here. And then tell me, how possible it is that Josephus could have written such.

Then also mention another historian from that era who mentioned Jesus.
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:50pm On Dec 13, 2014
nobilis:

Josephus is the most prominent Jewish historian from that era. I wonder if you've read his books as concerning the history of the Jews and most importantly, the history of the Jews during the era Jesus was supposed to have lived.

First and foremost, if Jesus was very influential, why is it that it is only one paragraph that was found about him in Josephus's book.
And that passage was not in Josephus's original book but appeared in that book after the book found its way into the hands of a particular church father.

I'll advise you to read and scrutinise that paragraph. I don't wanna quote it here. And then tell me, how possible it is that Josephus could have written such.

Then also mention another historian from that era who mentioned Jesus.

Read and educate yourself on the relevant thread posted below, don't divert from the topic of the OP.

https://www.nairaland.com/2043008/did-jesus-really-exist-there
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by nobilis: 6:45am On Dec 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Read and educate yourself on the relevant thread posted below, don't divert from the topic of the OP.

https://www.nairaland.com/2043008/did-jesus-really-exist-there

And I wonder how trying to prove to you that Jesus may not have existed is deviating from the OP's topic.

Anyway, I've made my point clear to you.
If you choose to believe in your Jesus in blind faith, like you all do, then go right ahead.

But one point you have to consider is that if ur bible was truly inspired by an omniscient and omnipotent being, then it should have been above any form of reproach. It should be free from inconsistencies and contradictions. But the historical (and otherwise) accuracy of the bible leaves sooo much to be desired.

As for your title question: in what year was Jesus born? The correct answer is Nobody knows.
Even the passage you quoted acknowledges that fact. And it leaves you wondering:
How can a God-man, rumored to be the Messiah, rumored to be a great prophet, rumored to be a great rabbi, rumored to have shaken up Jerusalem and its environs, not have an exact DOB? When other great men had, at least, exact years of birth.

You cannot seek the truth from a subjective and close-minded point of view. Because whatever "truth" you find will be coloured and tainted by your subjectivity. To seek the truth, you must be objective and open-minded. And that is what so many christians are so afraid of doing. They are afraid of at least, standing at a vantage point outside of the bible to scrutinise it. They're scared of bringing their bible under the lens of adequate scrutiny. And they tell themselves that they just believe. Saying that the bible is inspired is not enough because anybody can say any book is inspired. But it has to be checked according to some parameters that are above reproach.

Well, I wish you all the best.

1 Like

Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:02am On Dec 14, 2014
nobilis:

And I wonder how trying to prove to you that Jesus may not have existed is deviating from the OP's topic.

Anyway, I've made my point clear to you.
If you choose to believe in your Jesus in blind faith, like you all do, then go right ahead.

But one point you have to consider is that if ur bible was truly inspired by an omniscient and omnipotent being, then it should have been above any form of reproach. It should be free from inconsistencies and contradictions. But the historical (and otherwise) accuracy of the bible leaves sooo much to be desired.

As for your title question: in what year was Jesus born? The correct answer is Nobody knows.
Even the passage you quoted acknowledges that fact. And it leaves you wondering:
How can a God-man, rumored to be the Messiah, rumored to be a great prophet, rumored to be a great rabbi, rumored to have shaken up Jerusalem and its environs, not have an exact DOB? When other great men had, at least, exact years of birth.

You cannot seek the truth from a subjective and close-minded point of view. Because whatever "truth" you find will be coloured and tainted by your subjectivity. To seek the truth, you must be objective and open-minded. And that is what so many christians are so afraid of doing. They are afraid of at least, standing at a vantage point outside of the bible to scrutinise it. They're scared of bringing their bible under the lens of adequate scrutiny. And they tell themselves that they just believe. Saying that the bible is inspired is not enough because anybody can say any book is inspired. But it has to be checked according to some parameters that are above reproach.

Well, I wish you all the best.

If you were really interested in the answers to your questions you would have checked the link to the appropriate thread that I posted above. Most people are celebrating Christmas and the point of Christmas is Jesus Christ. At Christmas the birthday of the most important person who has ever lived is celebrated. Jesus is the centrepiece of our civilisation. After all, we call what happened before his birth 'BC' and what happened after 'AD'. If you wish to continue on this line then meet me on this thread==>https://www.nairaland.com/2043008/did-jesus-really-exist-there
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by haffaze777(m): 11:48am On Dec 14, 2014
no Jesus was born aaaah
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by nobilis: 2:11pm On Dec 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

If you were really interested in the answers to your questions you would have checked the link to the appropriate thread that I posted above. Most people are celebrating Christmas and the point of Christmas is Jesus Christ. At Christmas the birthday of the most important person who has ever lived is celebrated. Jesus is the centrepiece of our civilisation. After all, we call what happened before his birth 'BC' and what happened after 'AD'. If you wish to continue on this line then meet me on this thread==>https://www.nairaland.com/2043008/did-jesus-really-exist-there

I've read all that you copied and pasted in that thread. And there is no need trailing this argument over so many threads on NL.

Christmas is celebrated on December 25. But it is so obvious Jesus wasn't born on December 25. The celebration of Jesus' birth wasn't originally part of Christian practice. It was introduced along the way. And we both know the significance of that day both in paganism and in astrology. But that is by the way.
What I'm letting you know is that no one knows the exact DOB of Jesus. And there is no evidence of his existence outside the bible. That passage in Josephus's Antiquities wasn't written by Josephus and you know it.
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:10pm On Dec 15, 2014
nobilis:

I've read all that you copied and pasted in that thread. And there is no need trailing this argument over so many threads on NL.

Christmas is celebrated on December 25. But it is so obvious Jesus wasn't born on December 25. The celebration of Jesus' birth wasn't originally part of Christian practice. It was introduced along the way. And we both know the significance of that day both in paganism and in astrology. But that is by the way.
What I'm letting you know is that no one knows the exact DOB of Jesus. And there is no evidence of his existence outside the bible. That passage in Josephus's Antiquities wasn't written by Josephus and you know it.

Here is a Case for Christ as documented by a journalist - Lee Strosbel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fpr6ULGpik?list=PL6F3B905C28F86F2F
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by nobilis: 10:29am On Dec 16, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Here is a Case for Christ as documented by a journalist - Lee Strosbel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fpr6ULGpik?list=PL6F3B905C28F86F2F
Lol.
Case for Christ indeed.
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:39pm On Dec 18, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Though the Gregorian Calendar supposedly began at Christ's birth, do we actually know the year Jesus was born?

http://www.gotquestions.org/what-year-was-Jesus-born.html

Question: "What year was Jesus Christ born? When was Jesus born?"

Answer: The Bible does not provide the exact day or even the exact year in which Jesus was born in Bethlehem. But a close examination of the chronological details of history narrows the possibilities to a reasonable window of time.

The biblical details of Jesus’ birth are found in the Gospels. Matthew 2:1 states that Jesus was born during the days of Herod the king. Since Herod died in 4 B.C., we have a parameter to work with. Further, after Joseph and Mary fled Bethlehem with Jesus, Herod ordered all the boys 2 years old and younger in that vicinity killed. This indicates that Jesus could have been as old as 2 before Herod’s death. This places the date of His birth between 6 and 4 B.C.

Luke 2:1-2 notes several other facts to ponder: “In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration when Quirinius was governor of Syria.” We know that Caesar Augustus reigned from 27 B.C. to A.D. 14.

Quirinius governed Syria during this same time period, with records of a census that included Judea in approximately 6 B.C. Some scholars debate whether this is the census mentioned by Luke, but it does appear to be the same event. Based on these historical details, the most likely time of Christ’s birth in Bethlehem is 6-5 B.C.

Luke mentions another detail concerning our timeline: “Jesus, when he began his ministry, was about thirty years of age” (Luke 3:23). Jesus began His ministry during the time John the Baptist ministered in the wilderness, and John’s ministry started “in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene, during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas” (Luke 3:1-2).

The only time period that fits all of these facts is A.D. 27-29. If Jesus was “about thirty years of age” by A.D. 27, a birth sometime between 6 and 4 B.C. would fit the chronology. More specifically, Jesus would have been approximately 32 years old at the time He began His ministry (still “about thirty years of age”).

What about the day of Christ’s birth? The tradition of December 25 was developed long after the New Testament period. It’s the day Christians have agreed to celebrate the birth of Jesus, but the exact day of His birth is unknown.

What is known is that biblical and historical details point to an approximate year of birth. Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea approximately 6-5 B.C. to Mary, His mother. His birth changed history forever, along with the lives of countless people around the world.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/what-year-was-Jesus-born.html#ixzz3MHBHurX2
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:54am On Dec 22, 2014
Rossikk:

Who wrote the New Testament?

That's what you should be asking yourself first.

https://www.nairaland.com/1921937/wrote-new-testament

You miss road?
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:56am On Dec 22, 2014
haffaze777:

no Jesus was born aaaah

If He was not born then your date of birth does not exist. cool
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by haffaze777(m): 4:22pm On Dec 23, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

If He was not born then your date of birth does not exist. cool

Jesus wasn't born,d only Jesus dat was born is Jesus navas
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:32pm On Dec 27, 2014
haffaze777:

Jesus wasn't born,d only Jesus dat was born is Jesus navas

What's your evidence that Jesus wasn't born.
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by haffaze777(m): 10:42pm On Dec 27, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

dia is no evidence whatsoever dat he was born
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Dec 27, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

You cannot prove a negative. The onus is on YOU to prove that he was born.
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:51pm On Dec 27, 2014
haffaze777:

dia is no evidence whatsoever dat he was born

Is there any evidence that you were born?
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by haffaze777(m): 10:53pm On Dec 27, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Is there any evidence that you were born?

yes cos I was born tru operation and d mark is still dia in my mothers tummy
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:54pm On Dec 27, 2014
ROSSIKE:

You cannot prove a negative. The onus is on YOU to prove that he was born.

Do you know why you are living in the year 2014 AD? How come? undecided
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:55pm On Dec 27, 2014
haffaze777:

yes cos I was born tru operation and d mark is still dia in my mothers tummy

And you believe that it was you that came out of her belly? undecided
Re: In What Year Was Jesus Born? by haffaze777(m): 11:13pm On Dec 27, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

And you believe that it was you that came out of her belly? undecided

nope,I believe it was u

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sango Is Superior To The Christian God (jehovah) / Do Animals Have Rights? [argumentative Discussion] / Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.