Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,904 members, 7,817,677 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? (3829 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Disbelieve T.B Joshua, Chris Okafor's Miracles? See Reasons / Why Do People Hate Catholic Church So Much? / Why Is Apostolic Faith Church So Quiet Among The Pentecostal Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by Viciyke(m): 6:21pm On Jun 07, 2010
Av been a Roman Catholic since i was born, av seen the good and bad side of being a Roman Catholic, av also seen some of the evils propagated by the Catholic church (Sex Scandals etc) and Catholics alike. But besides all this negative vices, being a Catholic has been one of the best things that has happened 2 me.

Why am saying all these is because in Nigerian the rate people change church is very alarming. And some of their reasons are very silly ranging 4rm excuses like.
1. They av seen the light in their new church.
2. The church members are not well dressed.
3. The Church doesn't read the bible or doesn't interpret the bible very well.
4. Some say they don't like orthodox church, rather they like new generation churchs.
5. Some even give lousy excuses like their pastors speak local languages, that they prefer American type preaching pastors (like Pastor Chris, Chris Oyakilome etc.)
6. Some say their previous church n the pastors are sinful n corrupt.
Infact the list of excuses is endless.

My Question is this, even though these excuses are correct or geniune, is it a enough reason 2 change 4rm one church 2 another on a regular basis. I think the best decision is 2 try n make a positive impact in ur church, try 2 convince them that they can do better n not leaving dem 4 lousy reasons n excuses. Because i know guys who av changed churches on more than ten occasion.

Am open 2 contributions pls.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 07, 2010
I think people change churches in search for their own truths. Only problem is the church isn't where you find the truth- its a nonsensical white man propaganda. it was created to enslave you and take away the essence of logical thinking so they can manipulate their way into your pockets, The Catholic church were pioneers, the new generation pastors are stepping up the game.

Same shit, different toilet!

My opinion; return to the values of your forefathers and stop barking over imported religions, same boats that took away our brothers to slavery, brought in the king james bibles, I think that says it all, Now go to bed!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by Mcleo007(m): 8:51pm On Jun 07, 2010
The issue wit religious proliferation among nigerians is associable wit d african-nigerian problem, which is individuality complex. Ppl compare their day-to-day surgings wit d dictates of religious commitment,thereby misplacing their priorities wit d search for a 'common' truth dt doesn't exist. Hence,till ppl realise d reason for christian worship,which is living a life of fellow-living, they'l neva quit changin churches.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by DGIPLUS(m): 9:54pm On Jun 07, 2010
Many people may change church for some of the wrong reasons you mentioned above, but most people change church in search of Truth.

However terribly terrible the situation has become, we still have few Truth-preaching Men of God that can never be corrupted by the wave of falsehood that has eaten deep into most denominations.

You don't have to judge anyone who keeps moving, "we're where we are because of what we know, & we will remain there because of what we don't know". When you study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that need not be put to shame, rightly dividing The Words of Truth - 2Tim.215, , you will know The Truth & that Truth will make you free.

You keep moving prayerfully (with discernment) until you find The Truth.

Cheers!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by Ganjaseed: 2:54pm On Jun 08, 2010
I rather have another opinion why people keep moving from one church to another. Only few of them are actually searching for the truth, but funny enough they have the truth in their hand "The BIBLE". Bellow you will fine some points why people keep exiting and coming in to churches.

1. Looking for miracle
2. Wanna belong to the happening church (example: so many of this kind of people are CEC)
3. Not getting recognition ( they move to be recognise in the new church)
4. Looking for freedom of worship (Like deeperlife where you can not dance and sing praises to God as a happy fellow)
5. Too much of Taxation from the the pulpit ( this very point is the most irritating one of them all)
6. misunderstanding among brethren.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by sirabbey(m): 11:45am On Jun 09, 2010
Ganjaseed:

I rather have another opinion why people keep moving from one church to another. Only few of them are actually searching for the truth, but funny enough they have the truth in their hand "The BIBLE". Bellow you will fine some points why people keep exiting and coming in to churches.

1. Looking for miracle
2. Wanna belong to the happening church (example: so many of this kind of people are CEC)
4. Looking for freedom of worship (Like deeperlife where you can not dance and sing praises to God as a happy fellow)
5. Too much of Taxation from the the pulpit ( this very point is the most irritating one of them all)

I concur with the above. another major reason why people change church is when they  do wrong and would rather move away than serve out disciplinary measures imposed on them
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by Youngichou(m): 11:46am On Jun 09, 2010
lol!!!!!!!!people say this   lol
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by timpaker(m): 11:52am On Jun 09, 2010
Ganjaseed:

1. Looking for miracle

you've said it all.

my concern is this, why can't a pastor serve under another pastor? they are always buzy giving birth to baby churches with funny names and marketing for members to fill in the empty plastic seats. giving rise to many muchroom churches.
In my street, out of nineteen (19) houses, twelve (12) are churches no wonder they named the street church street.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by Rotexbaba1: 11:55am On Jun 09, 2010
this is quite a complex issue.

i must say that it is very true that we should try and make changes instead of just changing churches (cuz leavin people in the wrong isn't very Christ like).

I just think it is the case where people should check their hearts and judge the reason against the Word of who they believe in (God), because for example, leavin a Church because of the pastor's accent is very pathetic, smh. When peeps go to Church, they should have some knowledge of the Bible in order to truly no whether the pastor is saying the right stuff, or just talking rubbish by mixing tradition with God's word, being judgmental, etc.

I recently 'left' the church i used to attend. Although the preachin was nice and convicting (which can be another reason why people leave churches because they want to continue living an opposite lifestyle), i had a problem with some people there as i felt there was no love in the Church and quite a lot of fakeness. I definitely tried to not conform to that because i was like ah ahn, this is meant to be the house of God now, so I made sure i tried to love people regardless, but i left when i got invited to another Church that was the opposite, lo, thank God.  me
should always have in mind that nothing is perfect and should be prepared to face crazy stuff in life, and use the authority God gave us to make changes, and spread the word some way some how.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by OlayinkaL: 12:05pm On Jun 09, 2010
lack of faith
lack of determination
lack of focus
those that change churches do not know their God, they probably know and unconsciously worship their pastors and if pastor correct them they will change because he has offended them.

Nigerians shud be focus and steadfast smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by sley4life(m): 12:25pm On Jun 09, 2010
lack of orientation
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by blankees(m): 12:26pm On Jun 09, 2010
Ganjaseed:

1. Looking for miracle

Fully agree wit u,Some even change churches because they r in search of fortune or life partners, some pple say it is spiritual prostitution. sad
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by raven95(f): 12:36pm On Jun 09, 2010
People move from one church to another cos they want to be told what they want to hear,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by lonelydude: 12:46pm On Jun 09, 2010
Ganjaseed:

1. Looking for miracle

You ain't far from the truth.

I think the purpose of churching has almost been thwarted as a result of the funny doctrines in vogue. I'm not surprised because Apostle Paul predicted it in 2 Timothy 4:3 - 4.

As a born again christian, I'll advise you attend churches where the painful truth is still being preached. Living a born again life is not bread and butter.

Although born into the anglican family and will still continue to be identified as one, I still attend some other churches where the painful truth is being preached.It is better to keep hearing the painful truth everytime you go to church than going to the one where you get the so-called 'freedom' which will someday leave you with reprobate mind.

Please, just read 2 tim. 4.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by Jephyard(m): 12:59pm On Jun 09, 2010
Really is not about bein focus, it is about connected in the Church, with that first class info come to you easy about the Church and of coause some divided too. Churches in Nigeria has move away from it original context to another context.
One sole reason had to do with the poverty and tradition in Nigeria. One thing that bother me most is the pastor lifestyle and i would sit in a church something is wrong and i say for the sake of God i wil not look at what do pastor is doing,i would just mind my own business, it is shit.

Instead of changing from one Church to another y don't you stop the church thing and read your bible from home and every other day go pay your offering and tithe cos every other church is just the same as the other.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by otukpo(f): 1:28pm On Jun 09, 2010
For many reasons.
some are;

Looking for a miracle
Admiration of a pastor
Not given a free hand to do as wished in one church
Mode of Dressing
Prayer pattern
Long or short hours of service
Looking for recognition
Running away from responsility
in search of a life partner
In search of fortune or connection or opportunities
To belong to the happening church
Lack of faith
Spiritual blindness

etc etc etc
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by 007busman: 1:34pm On Jun 09, 2010
I disagree with ppl that said that the truth can not be found in church.A church is a place where you are supposed to find the truth,however it is a fact that this is lacking in some assembly but there are lots of churches teaching the truth.So if a church can not change your life positively then it is not bad if you change the church.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by sley4life(m): 1:51pm On Jun 09, 2010
They always want miracles without workin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by felifeli: 2:25pm On Jun 09, 2010
Because of newcomers welcome pack of biscuits and coke of course grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by redsun(m): 2:38pm On Jun 09, 2010
Conclusively,it all boils down to delusion.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by medjai(m): 2:45pm On Jun 09, 2010
wat most Nigerians are looking for in a church are miracles. Very few go to church to hear God's word
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by hassymo5(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2010
Ganjaseed:

1. Looking for miracle

otukpo link=topic=458785.msg6181248#msg6181248 date=1276086536:

For many reasons.
some are;

Looking for a miracle
Admiration of a pastor
Mode of Dressing
Prayer pattern
Looking for recognition
Lack of faith
Spiritual blindness

etc etc etc

ALL HAVE BEEN SAID
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by hayyah(m): 3:31pm On Jun 09, 2010
most of them, especially women are looking for miracles. that is how some unlucky one usually fall into the wrong hands. may almighty God deliver us, especially all our women from this evil temptation! embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by rubi(f): 3:51pm On Jun 09, 2010
If your church cannot change you change your church
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by ud4u: 4:29pm On Jun 09, 2010
John 8:32 Bible says, you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

rubi:

If your church cannot change you change your church
According to the above quote too, that is why people keep changing church, you can't be going to church and still remain in sin.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by esteelv: 4:48pm On Jun 09, 2010
People change churches not just to search for d truth but,to search for d greater truth.We all know d basics of christianity
Come to think of it,are christians finally loosing it?God forbid.
Christianity is about Christ,we ought to be followers of Christ n not of any church or pastor cos wen u discover certain atrocities which some of them commit,ur faith will crash,it's happened to me before.after it happened i decided to become an ordinary member,go to church,worship n listen to d word .
these churches r after winning more members,forgetting d essence of christianity,which is about winning souls for d kingdom.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by bawomolo(m): 5:37pm On Jun 09, 2010
no offense but the term greater truth has little meaning. isn't the truth just the truth
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by eros(m): 6:16pm On Jun 09, 2010

1. Looking for miracle

Quote from: otukpo on Today at 01:28:56 PM
For many reasons.
some are;

Looking for a miracle
Admiration of a pastor
Mode of Dressing
Prayer pattern
Looking for recognition
Lack of faith
Spiritual blindness

etc etc etc

I CONCUR
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by wazobiang: 6:55pm On Jun 09, 2010
because they are frustrated
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by rubi(f): 7:27pm On Jun 09, 2010
ud4u:

John 8:32 Bible says, you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
According to the above quote too, that is why people keep changing church, you can't be going to church and still remain in sin.
If one is not experiencing any spiritual impact in his/her church why staying there better go to a church that will help you grow spiritually.
The bible said when we are suppose to be teaching others we are being taught
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by logic101: 7:52pm On Jun 09, 2010
What is this painfull truth a few of yall are talking about
There is nothing like a painfull truth
Re: Why Do Nigerians Change Church So Often? by otokx(m): 8:05pm On Jun 09, 2010
Truth is truth, ignorance is ignorance, poverty is a mentality.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor Anita Oyakhilome : Partakers Of A Glorious Inheritance / Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) / Why Dont Pastors Preach About Sin Anymore?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.