Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,541 members, 7,837,080 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 7 - Travel (76) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (1157261 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by mrnilobrawn: 3:21pm On Dec 29, 2014
tacha:
Ok since most people on this thread is trying to go for studying...I was asking about the studying visa...for those that have gone..what's like the estimate for flight ticket,visa application, skul fee, accommodation and stuffs like that ......
Flight:200-400k
Visa + medical: 80k
Skul fee: $14-30k for PG
Accomo:$10k/yr
Stuffs like that(others): approx ~$5k grin

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by okchris: 3:24pm On Dec 29, 2014
mrnilobrawn:
^^^when was ur biometrics?
Did my bio on the 30th Day of Oct.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by akanni(m): 3:56pm On Dec 29, 2014
abisolmi:

Lol. So here is an opinion from a married woman with a child. Get your visa first and then you can be prego if you wish. I actually heard that its better to have your kids while studying, lol. I however know someone though whose supervisor didn't want her to be prego cos she feels it might disturb her work and I know another who had her child during Phd but for visa purpose, please dont get pregnant yet. VO might feel that's the reason for leaving, rather than studies. in my case i deferred my studies for a year and had my baby first.
@fablady,hope you are happy now, lol, by the way I am not unmarried and na you ask for our opinion abi?
don't deny my bros o, do as the elders have advised and come back and testify smiley
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by jamsey(m): 4:29pm On Dec 29, 2014
pls how much can a sponsor have in his account if u do not bear d same surname
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by showfz(m): 4:48pm On Dec 29, 2014
Snappyfingaz:
1st Application
Applied: 27th April
Biometrics: 9th May
Refused: 15th May
Reasons: Purpose of visit, length of proposed stay, financial and personal assets and current employment situation.

Docs Submitted: Sponsor SOA (Salary Acct M30+, dorm account $120+k),
Sponsor letter and letter from sponsor's employer. NO SOP.

2nd Application
Applied: 3rd October
Biometrics: 9th October
Med Call: 28th November
Med Done: 3rd December
Passport Request: 8th December.

Docs Submitted:

*Sponsor SOA for 6months (salary acct. 40+M, dorm acct $120+K)
*Sponsor letter and letter from sponsor's employer
*My four months SOA (500+K)
*Letter of introduction and study leave letters from my employer
*SOP (clearly detailing why I chose to study in Canada and at the University of Regina and my plans to return to Naija upon graduation.

This is all. Note that none of my documents were notarized. If someone agrees to sponsor you and puts it in writing with his contact details clearly stated I see no reason for all that. Sponsor meanwhile is my maternal uncle with different surname. Thanks everyone. If any questions, I'll do well to answer them. May part 7 be better and sweeter than part 6. God bless everyone.

Hello Snappy,
Kindly send me your SOP as i was delayed for this exact same reasons you were delayed for initially. would really appreciate
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Nobody: 6:08pm On Dec 29, 2014
opsynusy:
dont get pregnant b4 ur medical test....get ur visa 1st and get pregnant afterwards

Thanks dear.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 29, 2014
akanni:

@fablady,hope you are happy now, lol, by the way I am not unmarried and na you ask for our opinion abi?
don't deny my bros o, do as the elders have advised and come back and testify smiley

No I am not happy. It was not a nice way to respond. It was more like an attack. What is it about Canadian citizenship when American citizenship for babies dey like water? My question had nothing to do with that. After all, if I end up studying for the phd, I can apply for PR for me and my family after 2 years of study.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Nobody: 6:23pm On Dec 29, 2014
vinci500:
Five years? Excuse me, I really don't think a PhD in Canada is up to five years! If you're applying with a masters degree.

If you are applying for a PhD, you would know the duration is 4-5years! And yes, with an MSc!

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by kennybravo1(m): 6:24pm On Dec 29, 2014
9jabiggurl:

In addition to this, instead you feeling you have wasted a year or so, what you could do is try the withdrawal process most of the time and use your safe time period till you apply for your TRV and by his grace till they call you for medicals,(this will roughly be about 6months -admission and visa processing) once you have done your medicals(which shows TRV on the way) you can do as you want and get preggy for tripplets sef....
my two cents.....
showfz:

Hello Snappy,
Kindly send me your SOP as i was delayed for this exact same reasons you were delayed for initially. would really appreciate

Please can you send me a copy of your SOP
Thanks odun ayabo oo
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by iseethegoal: 6:39pm On Dec 29, 2014
Compliments of the season to everyone. Been away from this thread for soooo long. Wish you guys planning to come over all the best. But a word of advise; Gold is not lined up on the street of Canada, so do not come expecting Eldorado. But if you are focused and are ready to work hard, it is sure worth it. May 2015 be a year filled with good tidings and God's goodness for us all. For those hoping to come over may the Lord that did ours hearken to your request at the set time. Wish you the very best of Year 2015

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by iseethegoal: 6:41pm On Dec 29, 2014
Fablady:

If you are applying for a PhD, you would know the duration is 4-5years! And yes, with an MSc!

The fastest Phd cannot be less than 3.5/4 years it can be more than 5 sometimes depending on a lot of factors
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by akanni(m): 6:41pm On Dec 29, 2014
Fablady:

No I am not happy. It was not a nice way to respond. It was more like an attack. What is it about Canadian citizenship when American citizenship for babies dey like water? My question had nothing to do with that. After all, if I end up studying for the phd, I can apply for PR for me and my family after 2 years of study.
Sorry about that, it wasnt meant to be an attack but my frank opinion.Its always your decision anyway after you hear what everyone has to offer.Once again apologies if it came out the wrong way and all the best with your plans.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by kennybravo1(m): 6:41pm On Dec 29, 2014
Snappyfingaz:
1st Application
Reasons: Purpose of visit, length of proposed stay, financial and personal assets and current employment situation.

2nd Application

Docs Submitted:

*SOP (clearly detailing why I chose to study in Canada and at the University of Regina and my plans to return to Naija upon graduation.

This is all. Note that none of my documents were notarized. If someone agrees to sponsor you and puts it in writing with his contact details clearly stated I see no reason for all that. Sponsor meanwhile is my maternal uncle with different surname. Thanks everyone. If any questions, I'll do well to answer them. May part 7 be better and sweeter than part 6. God bless everyone.

Please sir / ma can you send a copy of your SOP to me plssssssss and many other good people in the house Plsss I need a comprehensive SOP pls my mail is kenimichs@gmail.com
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by gabialonso(m): 6:43pm On Dec 29, 2014
bayocanny:

Thanks bro God bless you can I pm u?
no problem
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by twAYz: 6:47pm On Dec 29, 2014
Hello house, pls I need ur advice. I applied to Uni of Manitoba for Masters programme in Economics after checking and meeting d requiremnt. I was surprised to receive a mail to d effect that they won't be able to grant me admission, that its in their policy not to disclose d reason for the denial. I intend applying to another school now, but am afraid of what awaits as av not figured out what went wrong initially. Kindly advice...will appreciate prompt response. Many thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by iseethegoal: 6:58pm On Dec 29, 2014
Congrats. Wish you all the best.

you are right about the notary thing. I didn't notarize jack and I was given. Even my sponsor's letter was on a plain typed email. He only signed it with his address and phone numbers included. I believe your SOP goes a long way. Be specific and professional no begging, that one won't work with oyinbo. Just show proof and ultimately pray cause it is God that gives one favour.

Well as you prepare to come, just come boxed up. Note the devaluing Naira. Moreso Canada is not cheap the cheapest you can pay for room off campus which is usually cheaper is like 65k-70k a month. Also, if coming in January come prepared for the cold. God has been good to us this year in Southern Ontario because the weather has been nice compared to what they had last year. It snowed a little in the morning though, but is now very sunny, though still at - 3 this morning which is a miracle for this time of the year. So depending on which part of Canada you are going, be sure to know the weather situation it is a big thing here and also, you need a phone with GPS preferable all androids, bbm, iphone will be okay because as you are new you need to find your way. That has been helpful for me personally. It will also save you the stress of waiting endlessly for bus in the cold till you acclimatize.

Wish you all the best let me know how I can assist when you are coming and I will be glad to help you settle in. Once again congrats

Snappyfingaz:
1st Application

2nd Application

Docs Submitted:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by akanni(m): 7:05pm On Dec 29, 2014
twAYz:
Hello house, pls I need ur advice. I applied to Uni of Manitoba for Masters programme in Economics after checking and meeting d requiremnt. I was surprised to receive a mail to d effect that they won't be able to grant me admission, that its in their policy not to disclose d reason for the denial. I intend applying to another school now, but am afraid of what awaits as av not figured out what went wrong initially. Kindly advice...will appreciate prompt response. Many thanks
did you apply online using UMGradConnect?if yes, you can see the reason for denial though its nothing detailed.Mine was that the program was highly competitive and that there were a lot of people that met the requirements etc.
you can go ahead and look at other schools, nowahala.Try and check schools that you exceed their requirements and i think you also have to set yourself apart from the crowdv one way or the other.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 29, 2014
9jabiggurl:

In addition to this, instead you feeling you have wasted a year or so, what you could do is try the withdrawal process most of the time and use your safe time period till you apply for your TRV and by his grace till they call you for medicals,(this will roughly be about 6months -admission and visa processing) once you have done your medicals(which shows TRV on the way) you can do as you want and get preggy for tripplets sef....

my two cents.....

Thanks Sister. I go even do quadruplets sef... wink
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by chucksbadt(m): 7:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
Anugoson:
Application closed and approved

Application submitted (online)on~21st of Oct.
Biometrics ~ 23rd of Oct.
Medical request ~ 9th of Dec.
Medical done ~ 12th of Dec.
Medical Passed ~ 14th of Dec.
Passport request ~ 23rd of Dec.

Documents submitted:

1.God (Ask me how you can submit God first)

2.Evidence of financial support

Sponsor (Dad) ~ 6 months SOA with opening balance - 200k,closing balance - 4.6m. Pension plan statement ~ 4.9m
Statement of Transaction (Shares) ~ 4.3m.
Bond certificates.
Sponsorship letter & Affidavit of Sponsorship
Sponsor's 6 months salary statement of accnt
Sponsor's Birth Certificate

3.Passport/travel document
Virgin Passport.

4.Letter of Acceptance and Receipt showing half of Tuition paid [$7,000 cad]

5.Academic certificates
NYSC discharge certificate
Professional Training Certificates (4)
Degree certificate
WAEC certificate

6.Employment details
Submitted only Academic leave letter

7.Other documents
My Birth certificate
Statement of purpose (SOP)
Police Character certificate.

My appreciation goes first to God almighty and also to my wonderful e-family,though I came across this forum after i submitted my application,thumbs up!...you guys are the best,those chilling moments,encouragements gotten and information as well...I appreciate you all.

Wishing everybody a prosperous new year!

Bro, please am planning to do my Masters degree program in Canada, but i don't know the procedure....can we work together?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by twAYz: 7:30pm On Dec 29, 2014
Many thanks for ur response bro, I applied 2ru UMgradconnect. I actually got the response via mail and was really disturbed, never knew d reason could be checked on their site after they stated it in their letter that they don't disclose it. I think I feel much relieved now, will research further on the schs, as time is going, to see which ones I can be able to surpass the requirements. What course did u apply for?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by bbwollex(m): 7:32pm On Dec 29, 2014
kfrosh:
A quick response guys. Please when applying to colleges foraadvance diploma or PGD do u need to send your official Transcript from your school before being considered for admissions.

Yes or alternatively you could do a copy of your transcript and then notarize it before sending it my post.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Jagz99: 8:08pm On Dec 29, 2014
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR PGD/ MBA/MScIB
( for as many that may need this, please help urself below) then of cos u make other additions

1) PLEASE, INTRODUCE YOURSELF: ..........................................................................
...........................................................................................................................................
............................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................
...............................................................................................................................................
THEN THIS AFTER (2): I was brought up with the belief that success is determined by the efforts you put into accomplishment of goals and objectives. I have always had this burning consistent desire to increase myself academically and I believe in myself and know I can achieve anything I set my mind to achieve and to never give up no matter what.
THIS CAN COME NEXT: (3) I obtained a first degree in _______________( the university you attended and program you studied)

(4) I worked at ___________________________________( give a brief summary bout your work experience, the challenges faces and how you were able to overcome them, talk bout ur relationship with colleagues as well. Then round up by saying...(This experience has also made me a goal getter and pace setter, also in producing results needed on time, getting work done on regular and consistent basis, working as a team, reducing risk and eliminating unnecessary expenditures thereby creating productivity.
(5) I have selected your program in PGD/MBA/MScIB because_______________ ( u basically talk bout why u selected the ccourse ure goin for, the relationship of the course u applied for to your present job, also talk of ur work experience briefly)
(6) In the next 5 years I see myself setting up my own business in Nigeria with my educational background, skills and work experience acquired over the years , and will be able to utilize the funds of my company efficiently.
(7) Universities in Canada offer internationally recognized qualifications of high standard. Studying in Canada would provide me both international and individual exposure, efficient interaction with people of diverse culture.
cool Attached therein is a copy of my family tie, home tie, leave notes, employment letters and payslip from the company I work as i intend coming back to Nigeria immediately after my studies.

Yours faithfully,

7 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by 9jabiggurl: 8:17pm On Dec 29, 2014
kennybravo1:

Please can you send me a copy of your SOP
Thanks odun ayabo oo

a copy bros....i have not even used it yet but then i take it as a prophesy cos i will share my sop immediately i am done with TRV...#wink
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Prof23: 8:20pm On Dec 29, 2014
[quote author=justwise post=28705899]

Hello friends am a new comer to this forum,i am a medical doctor and i intend to do my residency training in Canada;so i need advice on how to go about it.thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by stevemims(m): 8:30pm On Dec 29, 2014
twAYz:
Many thanks for ur response bro, I applied 2ru UMgradconnect. I actually got the response via mail and was really disturbed, never knew d reason could be checked on their site after they stated it in their letter that they don't disclose it. I think I feel much relieved now, will research further on the schs, as time is going, to see which ones I can be able to surpass the requirements. What course did u apply for?
Bro so sorry abt d admission thing. I also applied to U of M,ao many weeks/months did it take them to make a decision n ur app?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by 9jabiggurl: 8:38pm On Dec 29, 2014
twAYz:

in most cases a statement of purpose is required by some school at least my school requested for it - this will make you stand out of so many...hence it has to interest the admission committee.

go as far as saying things you can do beyond academics which will contribute to your course and the people around you..............

This might help.....'When I was growing up as a child, I was fascinated by the many stories I read about cowries and its uses. This got me wondering about how business transactions were conducted from other part of the world. Later on in life I discovered there was more to business transactions than mere cowries or currencies.............................

then in my 4th paragraph.......' Taking my proud roots from a developing nation where the female gender are classified as second class citizens (though times are changing), my upbringing was however led by my father who had a strong penchant for western customs including the equality of all genders. This has fueled the flame to challenge the norm as exhibited even in my hobbies. It is quite an uncommon sighting to see a female instrumentalist taking charge of the entire drum set, however my drumming skill is a gift I discovered at the age of 10 when I was in primary school. bla bla bla.......................

I think my SOP did it for me for my admission...SOP's are usually personal hence you have to relate with it yourself.

Yes I am a female drummer......and very good at it...

hope this helps someone

4 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by twAYz: 8:48pm On Dec 29, 2014
stevemims:
Bro so sorry abt d admission thing. I also applied to U of M,ao many weeks/months did it take them to make a decision n ur app?
. Thanks bro, it took about 3 weeks.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by twAYz: 8:51pm On Dec 29, 2014
[quote author=9jabiggurl post=29316073]

in most cases a statement of purpose is required by some school at least my school requested for it - this will make you stand out of so many...hence it has to interest the admission committee.

go as far as saying things you can do beyond academics which will contribute to your course..............

This might help.....'When I was growing up as a child, I was fascinated by the many stories I read about cowries and its uses. This got me wondering about how business transactions were conducted from other part of the world. Later on in life I discovered there was more to business transactions than mere cowries or currencies.............................

then in my 4th paragraph.......' Taking my proud roots from a developing nation where the female gender are classified as second class citizens (though times are changing), my upbringing was however led by my father who had a strong penchant for western customs including the equality of all genders. This has fueled the flame to challenge the norm as exhibited even in my hobbies. It is quite an uncommon sighting to see a female instrumentalist taking charge of the entire drum set, however my drumming skill is a gift I discovered at the age of 10 when I was in primary school. bla bla bla.......................

I think my SOP did it for me for my admission...SOP's are usually personal hence you have to relate with it yourself.

Yes I am a female drummer......and very good at it...

hope this helps someone

Many thanks, it helps actually. Will re-look into my SOP. But another question is, could references also play a major part in their decision making. As in, professional referees in relation to academics.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by pyhz: 9:12pm On Dec 29, 2014
Please house, i need kjbobo contact asap,fone number or email......can anybody help with this pls? its so urgent. Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by tofam3k3(m): 10:10pm On Dec 29, 2014
Touch down St. Johns after all the craze from Lufthansa. Glory be to God!!!. quite a beautiful and calm city dou.
I desperately need assistance from current students at MUN to settle in properly....a pm wud be appreciated Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by abisolmi(f): 10:19pm On Dec 29, 2014
Fablady:

Thank you my sister. God bless you. That is a more reasonable answer. I have been sitting on the fence on this issue. Infact, started avoid the bed so I no go carry belle and husband don dey vex. Lol. Anyway, I have started making applications and still waiting on admission letter. It would be devastating if I don't secure admission and did not plan a pregnancy. That would be one year wasted.

And if I do secure admission and got pregnant, my preference would be to defer for a year..... But then, I don't know if Phd admission can be deferred easily. PhD applications are not easy to make.... Especially having to disturb them referees and looking for a supervisor. Please any reasonable opinions will be very much appreciated.

I am never one to assume like I know all the answers but based on my reasoning and by putting the VO in your shoes, I do not think it is advisable to grant visa to someone pregnant. If i were VO, i know i would deny you cos pregnancy is stressful enough without combining studies. You can wait by choice to have your child first, infact that gives you a stronger home tie and bringing them here is not an issue. in my case, my husband and I wanted to wait but when i didnt get admission, we quickly redefined and i got preggo immediately we redefined, you could say I was blessed but for some, you can never predict the time your baby will come.
If i were to advice, I will say don't delay having kids for Phd, if you get prego, you should be able to defer but if its funded, that might be another story. Don't put off having kids, enjoy your home and leave it all to God's hands, waiting a year before applying won't stop you from reaching your goal, it just makes you a mum who loves her unborn child more than life achievement!

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 29, 2014
abisolmi:

I am never one to assume like I know all the answers but based on my reasoning and by putting the VO in your shoes, I do not think it is advisable to grant visa to someone pregnant. If i were VO, i know i would deny you cos pregnancy is stressful enough without combining studies. You can wait by choice to have your child first, infact that gives you a stronger home tie and bringing them here is not an issue. in my case, my husband and I wanted to wait but when i didnt get admission, we quickly redefined and i got preggo immediately we redefined, you could say I was blessed but for some, you can never predict the time your baby will come.
If i were to advice, I will say don't delay having kids for Phd, if you get prego, you should be able to defer but if its funded, that might be another story. Don't put off having kids, enjoy your home and leave it all to God's hands, waiting a year before applying won't stop you from reaching your goal, it just makes you a mum who loves her unborn child more than life achievement!

Well said. Thanks very much!

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (502)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.