Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,797 members, 7,827,942 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? (2595 Views)

Guy Brought His Oyinbo Wife Back Home & His Family Members Were Astonished -pics / Must I Befriend My Husband Mistress Before There Will Be Peace In My Home? / How To Spend Your First Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Nobody: 9:40am On Dec 11, 2014
Please NLs, brought this here to get your opinions about the subject. My mum says it's a tradition in our family. In my own opinion, I'd rather give my first salary as my first fruit in church than share with family members. This issue has made me & my mum to be at loggerheads. Pls I'd like to know, how did you spend your first salary?
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Medunah: 9:52am On Dec 11, 2014
You are right, ur first salary is ur first fruit and it should be taken to church so that God can bless you the more

2 Likes

Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Tallesty1(m): 9:54am On Dec 11, 2014
Medunah:
Your first salary is ur first fruit and it should be taken to church so that God can bless you the more
Unto say nah the church employ am abi nah them pay am??

When will these lies stop?

9 Likes

Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 11, 2014
You can share it with me, if you don't mind. smiley
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by eistien(m): 9:56am On Dec 11, 2014
Bro u be esan man?
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Medunah: 10:01am On Dec 11, 2014
Tallesty1:

He is giving it to God. Its there in the bible 'cnt remember the passage though', i know u might say wasnt it a man who wrote the bible but jst cos u dnt blive in it doesnt make it a lie.
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Tallesty1(m): 10:13am On Dec 11, 2014
Medunah:

He is giving it to God. Its there in the bible 'cnt remember the passage though', i know u might say wasnt it a man who wrote the bible but jst cos u dnt blive in it doesnt make it a lie.
And who told you that I don't believe it? Giving your first fruit to God is Jewish feast held in the early spring at the beginning of the grain harvest. Leviticus 23:9-14.

The people were to bring a sheaf of grain to the priest, who would wave it before the Lord. A burnt offering, a meal offering, and a drink offering were also required at that time. Not salary or money as today's church preach.

In leviticus 23:15-16, the day of the firstfruits offering was also used to calculate the proper time of the Feast of Weeks.

But in the New Testament, the firstfruits offering were people not gifts or fruits or money. Romans 16:5; 1 Corinthians 16:15 and James 1:18.

The firstfruits offering is never applied to Christian giving in the New Testament. A Christian is under no further obligation than to give cheerfully and liberally 2 Corinthians 9:6-7.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Nobody: 10:17am On Dec 11, 2014
Medunah:
You are right, ur first salary is ur first fruit and it should be taken to church so that God can bless you the more
They have gathered sad sad sad sad cheesy cheesy undecided

3 Likes

Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by olashas(f): 10:21am On Dec 11, 2014
Tallesty1:

cool
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Medunah: 10:49am On Dec 11, 2014
Tallesty1:
And who told you that I don't believe it? Giving your first fruit to God is Jewish feast held in the early spring at the beginning of the grain harvest. Leviticus 23:9-14.

The people were to bring a sheaf of grain to the priest, who would wave it before the Lord. A burnt offering, a meal offering, and a drink offering were also required at that time. Not salary or money as today's church preach.

In leviticus 23:15-16, the day of the firstfruits offering was also used to calculate the proper time of the Feast of Weeks.

But in the New Testament, the firstfruits offering were people not gifts or fruits or money. Romans 16:5; 1 Corinthians 16:15 and James 1:18.

The firstfruits offering is never applied to Christian giving in the New Testament. A Christian is under no further obligation than to give cheerfully and liberally 2 Corinthians 9:6-7.
Ok sir
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Tallesty1(m): 10:50am On Dec 11, 2014
Medunah:

Ok sir
Good girl wink
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by 3coins(m): 10:56am On Dec 11, 2014
Medunah:
taken to where? . . .LOL

1 Like

Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Medunah: 11:13am On Dec 11, 2014
3coins:

taken to where? . . .LOL
3coins abeg, i no fit shout

Tallesty1:
Good girl wink
smiley
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Enoquin(f): 11:16am On Dec 11, 2014
Medunah:

So, God will not bless him more if he doesn't take it to church? I know of someone who took his to his parents and this is what they did; they took the money from him, prayed for him and returned it back to him. He used part of the money to appreciate them; got the parents seperate gifts and used the rest of his money as he saw fit.

I know of people who did neither and have received their fair share of good and bad times same as those who gave.

2 Likes

Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Medunah: 11:18am On Dec 11, 2014
Enoquin:

So, God will not bless him more if he doesn't take it to church? I know of someone who took his to his parents and this is what they did; they took the money from him, prayed for him and returned it back to him. He used part of the money to appreciate them; got the parents seperate gifts and used the rest of his money as he saw fit.

I know of people who did neither and have received their fair share of good and bad times same as those who gave.

Ok ma
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 11, 2014
The best is to take it to church....i agree with medunah's comment.
btw,you can alwaz satisfy ur family later..
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Naavah(f): 10:25pm On Dec 11, 2014
Share with family. Those at home matter more.

1 Like

Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by mutter(f): 11:08pm On Dec 11, 2014
A small part to the church for thanks giving and a portion to your family.
You have to keep the bulk for yourself.
When one has a job one has expenses too. Transport, clothing etc.
You better not start something you cannot finish. If you give today and not tomorrow, you might get problems.
There are even pastors that try to bully one to cough out money.
Family are not much better. The always have something they need or a project.
So start being moderate from the start.
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Roland17(m): 5:30am On Dec 12, 2014
Your parents should not have to bring such topic to bare before you make the decision irrespective of culture, even if you give them all of your first salary and you did not do it Whole heartedly, I tell you verily you have wasted that fruit of your labor, such actions must be instinctive, wholehearted without an iota of doubt..

Even before I got my first job and subsequently earned my first pay check, because of how much sacrifice, love and support my parents have shown to me and my siblings I had already made up my mind without mentioning a word to them what to do with my first fruit, my family is my Church, I am a Christian, a very proud catholic in faith at that and I know better.

I gave allllll, I mean every penny I was paid as my first salary, immediately I got home...I walked into my parents room and gave it all to them, from the little change I saved prior to my first salary,I bought my dad a bottle of wine, mom broke down in tears of joy, my dad was not surprised, they brought me out to the living room and invited my siblings and they all rained blessing on my head for over 40 mins..and to be honest with you, those blessings rained on me that night have been favor in my life, those blessings guide me, those blessing and many more I receive from them are my strength..

And guess what? Without telling me, my mom took a portion of that money to pay tithe on my behalf..talk about Awesome parents.. I love them to death..

5 Likes

Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Dereformer(m): 6:02am On Dec 12, 2014
The truth is, if want to progress in life, take care of your parents and your immediate family members.

Forget about the church. I'm not saying don't give the church, let it be out of your volition.

The bible says honour your father and mother so that your days may be long on earth.

It didn't say honour your church.

Church as it is today is after what they will get from you rather than what they will give to you.

Just my 2 kobo.

1 Like

Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Pavore9: 8:39am On Dec 12, 2014
l believe one's family is where it should go to which happens to be a unit of the Church though not forgetting to put something in the envelope for offertory in Thanksgiving to God.
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by veave(f): 9:10am On Dec 12, 2014
Falabs:
Please NLs, brought this here to get your opinions about the subject. My mum says it's a tradition in our family. In my own opinion, I'd rather give my first salary as my first fruit in church than share with family members. This issue has made me & my mum to be at loggerheads. Pls I'd like to know, how did you spend your first salary?

Please do not be at loggerheads over such an issue...
Both of you should meet halfway... if you can give the first month, you can also give the second month out too.
Use the first two months to settle God and your family...
Nor be everything person go fight over na. The Lord is your strength
#wisdom
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Ezibless: 9:12am On Dec 12, 2014
eistien:
Bro u be esan man?

Na Esan culture be dat

I wan know ogrin
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by eistien(m): 9:28am On Dec 12, 2014
Ezibless:

Na Esan culture be dat

I wan know ogrin
Yeah, na so dem tel me when I dy grow
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Ezibless: 9:34am On Dec 12, 2014
eistien:

Yeah, na so dem tel me when I dy grow

Ha!
Make i do like say i no see your response o:p
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 12, 2014
Roland17:
Your parents should not have to bring such topic to bare before you make the decision irrespective of culture, even if you give them all of your first salary and you did not do it Whole heartedly, I tell you verily you have wasted that fruit of your labor, such actions must be instinctive, wholehearted without an iota of doubt..

Even before I got my first job and subsequently earned my first pay check, because of how much sacrifice, love and support my parents have shown to me and my siblings I had already made up my mind without mentioning a word to them what to do with my first fruit, my family is my Church, I am a Christian, a very proud catholic in faith at that and I know better.

I gave allllll, I mean every penny I was paid as my first salary, immediately I got home...I walked into my parents room and gave it all to them, from the little change I saved prior to my first salary,I bought my dad a bottle of wine, mom broke down in tears of joy, my dad was not surprised, they brought me out to the living room and invited my siblings and they all rained blessing on my head for over 40 mins..and to be honest with you, those blessings rained on me that night have been favor in my life, those blessings guide me, those blessing and many more I receive from them are my strength..

And guess what? Without telling me, my mom took a portion of that money to pay tithe on my behalf..talk about Awesome parents.. I love them to death..
Wow! I'm touched. My sentiments exactly. If at all I'm to share it with them, it should be of my own will.
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 12, 2014
So you respect your pastor more than your mum..

Even the bible says "honor thy father,and mother so that your days may be long"

She says its tradition,yet you want to kick against it because of some religion belief..

Even Jesus said give to Caesar,what belongs to Caesar..

Hope have answered you.
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by kandiikane(m): 5:06pm On Dec 12, 2014
Your mum wants to use the money to buy peruvian hair hence the accuse of it being a tradition.
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by kendraloops(f): 10:24pm On Dec 12, 2014
From what i know, you're to present your first salary to them, they'll take a portion and bless you. Some parents return that portion they took, taking was just formalty as is the case with bride price in some places.

But if they take alln leave nothing for you ,which i doubt, don't sweat it. its just for this first month. you'll forget it sooner than you think.

pele!
Re: Must I Share My First Salary With My Family Members? by bebe2(f): 10:35pm On Dec 12, 2014
Medunah:

church abi family?

smh cry

(1) (Reply)

Should He Move In With His Wife? / ... / How Do You Leave A Nigerian Man?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.