Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,217 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship (3100 Views)

Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / Who Are The Gentiles? Irrefutable Proof Modern-day Christianity Is False / Must You Respond To An Altar Call To Be Truly Born Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by DavidDylan(m): 9:14pm On Dec 04, 2008
I ran into a short summary of a new TV show being hosted by a young minister in the UK and while reading came across the following excerpt -

The show is hosted by Award winning Youth Diplomat, Europe’s Premier Youth and Young Adult Leader, and British Red Cross Humanitarian Citizen Ambassador – Dayo Israel. With deep experience in the media industry and youth development, Dayo bring a trail blazing approach to TV talk shows through “How with Dayo Israel”

So like the Berean christians did, i chose to compare this blatant expression of self promotion with that of apostle Paul -

Phil 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: 5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; 6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

I'm no longer sure if a lot of "pastors" are still reading the same epistles that the apostles wrote 2000 years ago, i'm no longer sure what role denying oneself for Christ plays among the body of Christ anymore.
I don't even know what it means to be called a "christian" anymore.

Is it now a social club for the religious pharisees?

1 Like

Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by ow11(m): 10:03pm On Dec 04, 2008
Yes, a church as it is being organised currently is a social club. Nigerians have copied the evangelical TV pastors in the US and have modified their tactics to great effect in this country.

People go to church to look for contracts from other members, look for husbands and wives and also to enrich themselves. While these activities may seem harmless, It becomes a worry when that becomes the main focus of the church itself. Pastors now try to outdo one another with wordly possessions, they use the advantage of a failed economy to make church workers focus more on acquiring earthly riches rather than heavenly ones as Jesus told us.

While people like you try to point out this issues, you will continually to be labelled a heretic and an agent of the devil and I am not surprised because these same pastors and their forerunners also faced the same tirade when they pointed out the filth that went on in the 'older' churches. God's word will not be mocked and surely this mode of christianity will FALL and once again christians will look up to Jesus as the author and finisher of their faith and not some well spoken dude in a $3000 suit.

1 Like

Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by JeSoul(f): 10:53pm On Dec 04, 2008
DavidDylan:

I'm no longer sure if a lot of "pastors" are still reading the same epistles that the apostles wrote 2000 years ago, i'm no longer sure what role denying oneself for Christ plays among the body of Christ anymore. I don't even know what it means to be called a "christian" anymore.

Is it now a social club for the religious pharisees?

By their fruit, we have known them. Humility is not fashionable these days David.

The real problem is that we're calling a fallacy the "body of Christ". To me, when by their very actions they contradict the definition of godliness, I feel it not right to ascribe their shortcomings to the entire true body of Christ. The body of Christ, the remnant, is strong, growing, praying, dying to themselves daily and living not for themselves but for Christ. When the Light comes, this kind of darkness will have nowhere to hide.
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by KunleOshob(m): 10:24am On Dec 05, 2008
This topic would have more aptly be states as: Pentecostal churches - an alter to self worship It is the pentecostal churches that are struggling to out do themselves in the act of disecrating the body of christ.
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:31am On Dec 05, 2008
Your absolutely right kunle.
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by simmy(m): 10:36am On Dec 05, 2008
Kunle Oshob

i never thought the day would come when i lld agree 100% with u
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by Bolarge(m): 10:38am On Dec 05, 2008
JeSoul:

The body of Christ, the remnant, is strong, growing, praying, dying to themselves daily and living not for themselves but for Christ. When the Light comes, this kind of darkness will have nowhere to hide.
Undiluted, irrefutable truth.
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by Moyola(f): 10:42am On Dec 05, 2008
Well said y'all
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by Tonyet1(m): 12:27pm On Dec 05, 2008
i swear sometimes i doubt if this ministers are really studying the scriptures anymore, well i aint surprised though because the good book said "in the last days men shall be lovers of themselves" signs of da endtime
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by JJYOU: 12:47pm On Dec 05, 2008
DavidDylan:

I ran into a short summary of a new TV show being hosted by a young minister in the UK and while reading came across the following excerpt -

[i][b]The show is hosted by [b]Award winning Youth Diplomat, Europe’s Premier Youth and Young Adult Leader, and British Red Cross Humanitarian Citizen Ambassador – Dayo Israel. With deep experience in the media industry and youth development, Dayo bring a trail blazing approach to TV talk shows through “How with Dayo Israel[/b][/b]”[/i]   Is it now a social club for the religious pharisees?
  bro david what suggest this guy is a minister?

He Brought Me out of a Miry Clay, He seth My Feet on a Rock to Stay, he Put a Song in Ma Mouth to Sing and So I can Shout HALLELUYAH

Temidayo Israel-Abdulai is a British Red Cross Humanitarian Citizen Ambasador and was Nigeria's Ambassador to the Young General Assembly between 2001 and 2003. He is a Young General Assembly Special Representiative www.young-ga.org . A receipient of so many local and international awards which includes the Icon of Hope Award, The PEWA Award and the GAB Award for Excellence in promoting the positive image of Africans in the U.K. He is also a nominee of the Ten Outstanding Young Persons of the World Award.

Temidayo was the Deputy Senate President of the Nigerian Children and Young People's Parliament and the Chairman of the First Summit of Nigerian Children.

Temidayo has been involved in Public Advocacy and Civil Soceity work for over 10 years and at the Age of 11 founded the General Action Against the Violations of Human and Children Rights. He is also the Founder/CEO of the African Diaspora Youth Forum U.K.

Temidayo has served and currently serves on a lot of Federal Government and United Nations Committee all over the world. Some of those committees includes the Zonal Committe on Juvenile Justice Administration in Nigeria, SouthWest Committee on the Implementation of the Child Rights Bill and the Committee of South-West Conflict Monitors as the only Child Representative.

Dayo Israel is A Visionary leader with extensive experience in creating, coaching & directing non- profit, Community Based & Educational organization. Demonstrated leadership Abilities among Youths Locally & Internationally. A student, welfare officer, Child Right Activist & God Fearing citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria that thinks beyond Ethnicity & Religion with the aims of unity young people Worldwide.

A motivational speaker, preacher of the Gospel and Mentor to Youth World-Wide. Temidayo is an embodiment of Excellency and Grace.

Temidayo is currently studying Law at the London Metropolitan University having attended Prime Day Spring Nursery and Primary School (the foundation) and Progressed to Methodist Boys High School Lagos where he developed a lot of good virtue. One of the good things He gained from His secondary education was the Spirit of Charity. The School motto was Non Sibi, Sed Allis!!! which means, Not for us - But for Others.

His career objective is to build an efficient, impacting and world-class career in the Legal Field; in the areas of International Law and Jurispendence, Criminal Law and Juvenile Justice Administration. He is also palnning to proceed for a Masters in Political Science and International Relations respectively. He is not planning to sit in Chamber or on the Bench with His legal education but plan to use His skills and knowledge to promote a better welfare for the people.

Dayo has undergone many Local and International leadership training that have helped in building Him up.

Dayo has received a lot of key support, grants and funding from Save the Children UK, Government of Nigeria, Office of the Governor of Lagos State under the Leadership of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, The British Council, UNICEF Nigeria, British Airways, Air France, AFRUCA, Kudirat Initiative for Democract, Moshood Abiola Vanguard for Democracy, European Union, CIVA among other reputable organisations and Individual.

Temidayo, an Author and a Speaker has written various Child Right and Youth Development seminar papers and articles, which have been published by National dailies and on International organizations' websites. He has presented papers at seminars, workshops and led various training meetings.

Temidayo has Chaired various meetings and workshop at the United Nations Headquaters. He led the Nigerian Children Delegation to the U.N General Assembly Special Session on Children in New York, World Summit on Sustainable Development in South Africa and the Children World Water Forum in Japan amongst other U.N events and main activities.

Temidayo, in 2004, hosted the United Nations Young General Assembly Session in Nigeria and the event brought together over 156 Young People from all over the World.

Temidayo attracts a lot of "positive" media attentions and has featured on CNN Q and A Live, Nickelodeon, BBC Network Africa, Ben Television, OBE TV, BBC World Service, NTA Newsline, AIT KAKAKI amongst other Top T.V shows. He has also been a guest on various T.V stations which includes, but are not limited to TV Malawi, Murhi International Television (MiTV), Channels T.V, SuperScreen T.V, DBN, NTA Plus, London Weekend Television and T.V Africa.

Temidayo's influence on the young public can be seen on His very often appearance on radio talkshows on radio Nigeria, Voice of Nigeria (VON), AllAfrica.com, Radio Swazi, WorldSpace.

Temidayo has also chaired various media briefing and conference which includes the world press conference at the United Nations Children World Water Forum in Japan. He also maintains online interiew and articles on UNICEF Voice of Youth, Taking I.T Global and Voice of Africa Radio.

Temidayo's acheivements are beings publicised by various print media which includes but are not limited to Swazi Today, The Comet newspaper, The Punch newspaper, Tribune newspaper, This Day newspaper, Daily Champion newspaper, Daily Times newspaper, Vanguard newspaper, Trumpet NewsPaper and The Voice News paper.

'Dayo's present research work focuses on Youth Participation in Policy and Decision Making. He founded an initiative called General Action Against the Violations of Human and Children's Rights http://www.gaavohcr.20m.com and is involved in the British Council Connecting Futures Forum as a Forum 2002 participant of which he was sponsored by by the British Council (connectingfutures.com.). One of his past projects involved the lobbying of the National Assembly to domesticate the Childrens Bill. He was on the Federal Government Envoy to the 2003 CommonWealth Youth Forum.

Dayo has met and has contact with a lot renowned world leaders like Dr. Nelson Mandela, Mrs. Graca Machal, Mrs. nane Annan, President Olusegun Obasanjo, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, Queen Mother of Swaziland, Prime Minister Dlamini Absalom Themba, Queen Mubarak of Egypt, President Yahya Jameh, President Tejjan Kabbah, President John Kufor, President Berlusconi Silvio, King Letsie III of Lesotho, President Muluzi Bakili, President Chissano Joaquim Alberto, President Bingu wa Mutharika, Princess Takamado of Japan, Former Deputy President Zuma Jacob of South Africa, M.P Ben Bradshaw, Baroness Hudding of Bethnal Green, Baroness Hellena Kenedy (Chair British Council), Dr. Carol Bellamy and Dr. Kul Gautam, Rt Hon Don McKinnon- Commonwealth Sec-Gen, Arnold Swazenerger, Governor Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Governor Ibrahim Idris of Kogi, First Lady Stella Obasanjo, First Lady Oluremi Tinubu, First Lady Theresa Udenwa, Wife of the Governor of River State, Ovation Mr. Dele Momodu and Ms. Titilope Animashaun.

"Dayo Israel maintains a personal website at http://www.dayoisrael.faithweb.com and http://www.gentlemandayo.20m.com and he says the websites will help motivate the Nigerian Youth, be a beacon of light for Nigeria and stand up to speak for the liberation of the Nigerian people. His websites contain lods of pictures from different event. Please check back later on this site for uploaded pictures. www.gentlemandayo.20m.com

If you would like to invite 'Dayo Israel to speak at your Seminar, School, Organization or to discuss ideas with your Group, you may express such interests via email through dayo@dayoisrael.com.

And remember, Together We Aspire, Together We Achieve and Together We Make the World a Better Place. If not Now then When, If not We then Who. Becuase We Can, We Must and We Will

PEWA Young African Award
Temidayo Israel-Abdulai, at 18, already a veteran of African youth activist, won the PEWA Young African Award, for his contributions to improving the welfare of African children, and for being such a great role model. Since setting up his own NGO aged 12, he has been in the forefront of campaigning around youth issues and has been an advisor to the Nigerian government.

http://www.afford-uk.org/services/emergeafrica/pewa/winners/index.asp
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by Bolarge(m): 3:04pm On Dec 05, 2008
JJYOU:

Temidayo Israel-Abdulai is a British Red Cross Humanitarian Citizen Ambasador and was Nigeria's Ambassador to the Young General Assembly between 2001 and 2003. He is a Young General Assembly Special Representiative www.young-ga.org . A receipient of so many local and international awards which includes the Icon of Hope Award, The PEWA Award and the GAB Award for Excellence in promoting the positive image of Africans in the UK. He is also a nominee of the Ten Outstanding Young Persons of the World Award.

Temidayo was the Deputy Senate President of the Nigerian Children and Young People's Parliament and the Chairman of the First Summit of Nigerian Children.

Temidayo has been involved in Public Advocacy and Civil Soceity work for over 10 years and at the Age of 11 founded the General Action Against the Violations of Human and Children Rights. He is also the Founder/CEO of the African Diaspora Youth Forum UK.

Temidayo has served and currently serves on a lot of Federal Government and United Nations Committee all over the world. Some of those committees includes the Zonal Committe on Juvenile Justice Administration in Nigeria, SouthWest Committee on the Implementation of the Child Rights Bill and the Committee of South-West Conflict Monitors as the only Child Representative.

Dayo Israel is A Visionary leader with extensive experience in creating, coaching & directing non- profit, Community Based & Educational organization. Demonstrated leadership Abilities among Youths Locally & Internationally. A student, welfare officer, Child Right Activist & God Fearing citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria that thinks beyond Ethnicity & Religion with the aims of unity young people Worldwide.

A motivational speaker, preacher of the Gospel and Mentor to Youth World-Wide. Temidayo is an embodiment of Excellency and Grace.

Temidayo is currently studying Law at the London Metropolitan University having attended Prime Day Spring Nursery and Primary School (the foundation) and Progressed to Methodist Boys High School Lagos where he developed a lot of good virtue. One of the good things He gained from His secondary education was the Spirit of Charity. The School motto was Non Sibi, Sed Allis!!! which means, Not for us - But for Others.

His career objective is to build an efficient, impacting and world-class career in the Legal Field; in the areas of International Law and Jurispendence, Criminal Law and Juvenile Justice Administration. He is also palnning to proceed for a Masters in Political Science and International Relations respectively. He is not planning to sit in Chamber or on the Bench with His legal education but plan to use His skills and knowledge to promote a better welfare for the people.

Dayo has undergone many Local and International leadership training that have helped in building Him up.

Dayo has received a lot of key support, grants and funding from Save the Children UK, Government of Nigeria, Office of the Governor of Lagos State under the Leadership of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, The British Council, UNICEF Nigeria, British Airways, Air France, AFRUCA, Kudirat Initiative for Democract, Moshood Abiola Vanguard for Democracy, European Union, CIVA among other reputable organisations and Individual.

Temidayo, an Author and a Speaker has written various Child Right and Youth Development seminar papers and articles, which have been published by National dailies and on International organizations' websites. He has presented papers at seminars, workshops and led various training meetings.

Temidayo has Chaired various meetings and workshop at the United Nations Headquaters. He led the Nigerian Children Delegation to the U.N General Assembly Special Session on Children in New York, World Summit on Sustainable Development in South Africa and the Children World Water Forum in Japan amongst other U.N events and main activities.

Temidayo, in 2004, hosted the United Nations Young General Assembly Session in Nigeria and the event brought together over 156 Young People from all over the World.

Temidayo attracts a lot of "positive" media attentions and has featured on CNN Q and A Live, Nickelodeon, BBC Network Africa, Ben Television, OBE TV, BBC World Service, NTA Newsline, AIT KAKAKI amongst other Top T.V shows. He has also been a guest on various T.V stations which includes, but are not limited to TV Malawi, Murhi International Television (MiTV), Channels T.V, SuperScreen T.V, DBN, NTA Plus, London Weekend Television and T.V Africa.

Temidayo's influence on the young public can be seen on His very often appearance on radio talkshows on radio Nigeria, Voice of Nigeria (VON), AllAfrica.com, Radio Swazi, WorldSpace.

Temidayo has also chaired various media briefing and conference which includes the world press conference at the United Nations Children World Water Forum in Japan. He also maintains online interiew and articles on UNICEF Voice of Youth, Taking I.T Global and Voice of Africa Radio.

Temidayo's acheivements are beings publicised by various print media which includes but are not limited to Swazi Today, The Comet newspaper, The Punch newspaper, Tribune newspaper, This Day newspaper, Daily Champion newspaper, Daily Times newspaper, Vanguard newspaper, Trumpet NewsPaper and The Voice News paper.

'Dayo's present research work focuses on Youth Participation in Policy and Decision Making. He founded an initiative called General Action Against the Violations of Human and Children's Rights http://www.gaavohcr.20m.com and is involved in the British Council Connecting Futures Forum as a Forum 2002 participant of which he was sponsored by by the British Council (connectingfutures.com.). One of his past projects involved the lobbying of the National Assembly to domesticate the Childrens Bill. He was on the Federal Government Envoy to the 2003 CommonWealth Youth Forum.

Dayo has met and has contact with a lot renowned world leaders like Dr. Nelson Mandela, Mrs. Graca Machal, Mrs. nane Annan, President Olusegun Obasanjo, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, Queen Mother of Swaziland, Prime Minister Dlamini Absalom Themba, Queen Mubarak of Egypt, President Yahya Jameh, President Tejjan Kabbah, President John Kufor, President Berlusconi Silvio, King Letsie III of Lesotho, President Muluzi Bakili, President Chissano Joaquim Alberto, President Bingu wa Mutharika, Princess Takamado of Japan, Former Deputy President Zuma Jacob of South Africa, M.P Ben Bradshaw, Baroness Hudding of Bethnal Green, Baroness Hellena Kenedy (Chair British Council), Dr. Carol Bellamy and Dr. Kul Gautam, Rt Hon Don McKinnon- Commonwealth Sec-Gen, Arnold Swazenerger, Governor Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Governor Ibrahim Idris of Kogi, First Lady Stella Obasanjo, First Lady Oluremi Tinubu, First Lady Theresa Udenwa, Wife of the Governor of River State, Ovation Mr. Dele Momodu and Ms. Titilope Animashaun.

"Dayo Israel maintains a personal website at http://www.dayoisrael.faithweb.com and http://www.gentlemandayo.20m.com and he says the websites will help motivate the Nigerian Youth, be a beacon of light for Nigeria and stand up to speak for the liberation of the Nigerian people. His websites contain lods of pictures from different event. Please check back later on this site for uploaded pictures. www.gentlemandayo.20m.com

If you would like to invite 'Dayo Israel to speak at your Seminar, School, Organization or to discuss ideas with your Group, you may express such interests via email through dayo@dayoisrael.com.

And remember, Together We Aspire, Together We Achieve and Together We Make the World a Better Place. If not Now then When, If not We then Who. Becuase We Can, We Must and We Will

PEWA Young African Award
Temidayo Israel-Abdulai, at 18, already a veteran of African youth activist, won the PEWA Young African Award, for his contributions to improving the welfare of African children, and for being such a great role model. Since setting up his own NGO aged 12, he has been in the forefront of campaigning around youth issues and has been an advisor to the Nigerian government.

http://www.afford-uk.org/services/emergeafrica/pewa/winners/index.asp
Where's Jesus Christ in all this?
Must have missed out the part where Temidayo shed his blood for the cleansing away of my sins. undecided
Arrant nonsense. angry
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by JJYOU: 3:06pm On Dec 05, 2008
Bolarge:

Where's Jesus Christ in all this?
Must have missed out the part where Temidayo shed his blood for the cleansing away of my sins. undecided
Arrant nonsense. angry

Arrant nonsense  indeed. some of these small "bois" dont have good advicers or mentors. who would ever let an arrogant boy like him near them?
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by SisiJinx: 3:07pm On Dec 05, 2008
[size=14pt]preacher of the Gospel[/size]

Perhaps?
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by JJYOU: 3:09pm On Dec 05, 2008
Sisi Jinx:

[size=14pt]preacher of the Gospel[/size]

Perhaps?
gospel of self and flesh abi?
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by SisiJinx: 3:18pm On Dec 05, 2008
JJYOU:

gospel of self and flesh abi?

Lmao! I don't know oooh. I got that from the exalting writeup.

Seriously though, for an 18 yrs old. . . he's got an impressive resume.

Take away the maybe minister factor, he IS a good role model!
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by SirJohn(m): 8:46pm On Dec 05, 2008
ow11:

Yes, a church as it is being organised currently is a social club. Nigerians have copied the evangelical TV pastors in the US and have modified their tactics to great effect in this country.

People go to church to look for contracts from other members, look for husbands and wives and also to enrich themselves. While these activities may seem harmless, It becomes a worry when that becomes the main focus of the church itself. Pastors now try to outdo one another with wordly possessions, they use the advantage of a failed economy to make church workers focus more on acquiring earthly riches rather than heavenly ones as Jesus told us.

While people like you try to point out this issues, you will continually to be labelled a heretic and an agent of the devil and I am not surprised because these same pastors and their forerunners also faced the same tirade when they pointed out the filth that went on in the 'older' churches. God's word will not be mocked and surely this mode of christianity will FALL and once again christians will look up to Jesus as the author and finisher of their faith and not some well spoken dude in a $3000 suit.

You know Ow11, shortly after my discoveries at the CE healing school, I started doing a little research on some US televangelists; my findings were quite startling. Most Naija preachers are actually patterning themselves like their US counterparts. They have succeeded in bringing in class & personality worship into Naija churches, 'the money cometh' prosperity scam and many other trash. As long as you are rich, classy and influential, you'll earn respect and recognition in their midst.
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by DavidDylan(m): 9:48pm On Dec 05, 2008
JJYOU:

bro david what suggest this guy is a minister?

At least that's what he calls himself on facebook. He's got loads of clips on his various "sermons" and "outreaches" there.
Initially i thot he was a biblically sound minister and would listen to a few of his clips but later . . . undecided
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by ow11(m): 10:47pm On Dec 05, 2008
SirJohn:

Most Naija preachers are actually patterning themselves like their US counterparts.

It is called 'spiritual sonship'. Those is the US have gone ahead of us 'spiritually' it may seem and they have to learn from their spiritual mentors and fathers the art of deception and flamboyance.
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by KunleOshob(m): 12:25pm On Dec 10, 2008
SirJohn:

You know Ow11, shortly after my discoveries at the CE healing school, I started doing a little research on some US televangelists; my findings were quite startling. Most Naija preachers are actually patterning themselves like their US counterparts. They have succeeded in bringing in class & personality worship into Naija churches, 'the money cometh' prosperity scam and many other trash. As long as you are rich, classy and influential, you'll earn respect and recognition in their midst.

Here is what the bible as to say about discriminating between the rich and the poor.

James 2:1-5:
  1 My dear brothers and sisters,[a] how can you claim to have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others?

2 For example, suppose someone comes into your meeting[b] dressed in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and dressed in dirty clothes. 3 If you give special attention and a good seat to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, “You can stand over there, or else sit on the floor”—well, 4 doesn’t this discrimination show that your judgments are guided by evil motives?
   5 Listen to me, dear brothers and sisters. Hasn’t God chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith? Aren’t they the ones who will inherit the Kingdom he promised to those who love him?
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by SirJohn(m): 5:59pm On Dec 10, 2008
KunleOshob:

Here is what the bible as to say about discriminating between the rich and the poor.

1 My dear brothers and sisters,[a] how can you claim to have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others?

2 For example, suppose someone comes into your meeting[b] dressed in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and dressed in dirty clothes. 3 If you give special attention and a good seat to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, “You can stand over there, or else sit on the floor”—well, 4 doesn’t this discrimination show that your judgments are guided by evil motives?
   5 Listen to me, dear brothers and sisters. Hasn’t God chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith? Aren’t they the ones who will inherit the Kingdom he promised to those who love him?

Well said KunleOshob
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 10, 2008
KunleOshob:

Maybe this is only in your bible . . . our modern day churches certainly dont agree with Christ on this.
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by naomijt(f): 10:38pm On Dec 10, 2008
It is a good thing you called it social club.

Certainly, those ministers don't follow the same bible handed down by the apostles . . .

They are for into showbiz than anything else
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by bawomolo(m): 6:15am On Dec 11, 2008
humans operate on a social heirachy so it's not a surprise the church is a social club. just an extension of our every day lives.
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by carmelily: 9:43am On Dec 11, 2008
'm no longer sure what role denying oneself for Christ plays among the body of Christ anymore.
I don't even know what it means to be called a "christian" anymore.

@David

Now you get the point i was making on the RCC thread grin
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by naomijt(f): 1:14pm On Dec 11, 2008
Hi Carmelily,

Long tym. How paulipopo? tongue
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by carmelily: 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2008
Yay! Naomijt, long time.

paulipopo just leave us hanging o! we never fully certify, just practising quacks tongue
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 14, 2012
bump to all the Pharisees !!
Re: Modern Day Christianity - An Altar To Self Worship by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 14, 2012
KunleOshob: This topic would have more aptly be states as: Pentecostal churches - an alter to self worship It is the pentecostal churches that are struggling to out do themselves in the act of disecrating the body of christ.

5 stars !!

(1) (Reply)

Please Where's Living Faith In Lekki? / How Can You Be Sure You Are Destined For Heaven? / Why Do Christians Worship Cesare Borgia's Image As Jesus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.