Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Is An Engagement And Wedding Party A Must? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is An Engagement And Wedding Party A Must? (774 Views)

Common Yoruba Traditional Wedding Engagement List / Yoruba Engagement And Wedding In The US~ Guidance Needed! / Yoruba Traditional Engagement What Is The Order Of Service? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is An Engagement And Wedding Party A Must? by smith60: 1:11am On Dec 05, 2008
My husband and I have been married for 4 years now and we have a child. We had a very quiet wedding ceremony; I mean we only went to the registry. He was (and is still) based in the US while back then I was in Nigeria. He came to Nigeria briefly and we did a very mini introduction (just my parents and his siblings as he has lost both his parents) and went to the registry so as to make my application process for a visa to join him much easier.
I have since joined him in the US and we are very happy together, both blessed with good jobs and doing really well together in our marriage.
Now friends and family have started asking me when we are going to do our engagement and wedding ceremony. They have insisted that whatever the case may be, culture demands that my husband’s family pay their engagement rights.
In my opinion, I don’t think all these noise making and extra money spree is necessary since we are legally married and what matters is for us to be happy which we are.
Also I love my quiet ‘jeje’ life that I am living and my husband love’s his too. I am very scared that all this ceremony will open our home to ‘back biters’ and maybe even spiritual attacks.

Please my people, what do you think?
Re: Is An Engagement And Wedding Party A Must? by DavidDylan(m): 1:13am On Dec 05, 2008
you are the one who has the choice to make. Grow some steel and tell your "family and friends" you choose to stand by your decision not to waste money on such frivolities.
Re: Is An Engagement And Wedding Party A Must? by iyeayo(f): 8:37pm On Dec 08, 2008
follow your heart smiley
Re: Is An Engagement And Wedding Party A Must? by mafolayomi(f): 11:20am On Dec 12, 2008
dont mind them oooooo. as if they are ready to assist you financially. i sure say na my pple e go be, i.e yorubas.
Re: Is An Engagement And Wedding Party A Must? by iyeayo(f): 7:18am On Dec 17, 2008
abi now! grin

(1) (Reply)

Are You Ashamed Of Your Mother Tongue? / Folk Tales And Fables? Step In / Are Our Dialects Dying Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.