Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,784 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. (10664 Views)

The Delusions Of Forgiveness And The Christian Morality. / Understanding The Concept of Tithing / Of Jesus, God, Forgiveness And Final Judgement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by CoCoLav(f): 8:38am On Dec 28, 2014
Gelco:

LoL! That happens to me too.

grin
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by jamace(m): 8:38am On Dec 28, 2014
mifavour:
it doesn't cost a thing.. I forgive and forget
I know one can forgive but how do you forget? Do you "delete" the information from your memory like the computer does? Please teach us how to forget events easily, biko.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by bankoleben(m): 8:39am On Dec 28, 2014
Bible only asked us to forgive, not forgive and forget.

When you truly forgive, remembering the pains of the past will not bring hurting feelings but will only remind you of what God has brought you through and you'll bring glory to His name.

These Mandisa's lyrics explain it better:

"What Scars Are For"

These scars aren’t pretty
But they’re a part of me
And will not ever fade away
These marks tell a story
Of me down in the valley
And how You reached in with Your grace
And healed me

They remind me of Your faithfulness
And all You brought me through
They teach me that my brokenness
Is something You can use
They show me where I’ve been and
That I’m not there any more
That’s what scars, that’s what scars are for
what scars are for

Erase, rewind
Wish I could every time
The hurt, the pain cuts so deep
But when I’m weak You’re strong
And in Your power I can carry on
And my scars say that You won’t ever leave

Is something You can use

I see it on the cross
The nails You took for me
Scars can change the world
Scars can set me free

Is something You can use
They show me that’s what scars are for
What scars are for
What scars are for
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by SkinnyDude(m): 8:40am On Dec 28, 2014
MayflowerB:

Yea I ve met pple like dat....I once had a disagreement with a friend but I apologised and we resolved it dat same day.....we were cool for weeks den suddenly she started snubbing me....I made efforts to know why she was giving me all d unnecessary attitude but she kept mute.....I tried and tried till I almost gave up on d whole thing but a few oda pple told me to keep pushing till I know why she was angry with me......I continued till she finally opend up like wks later......guess why she was angry?
why.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Nobody: 8:40am On Dec 28, 2014
[quote author=chibwike post=28868418][/quote]

It depends , some wrongs can't be forgiven even if it is forgiven it can not be forgotten
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Toeyean1507(f): 8:40am On Dec 28, 2014
Meel:
Forgive yes
forget no.
Use dis as a case study, u went to someone house and d person poison you when u ate dere. Will you eva go to dat person house if you forgive dat person, and paraventure you go dere can u eat dere again.
Exactly my point. I won't even take a seat wen he offers me one.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by mifavour(f): 8:42am On Dec 28, 2014
jamace:
I know one can forgive but how do you forget? Do you "delete" the information from your memory like the computer does? Please teach us how to forget events easily, biko.

beg God to give u the Grace to forget
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by IDEApro(m): 8:42am On Dec 28, 2014
I find it easy forgiving someone who'd me a favour in the past whenever the person wrong me. It sort of the person had bought immunity with the earlier favour and I am indebted to accommodate his/her failings no matter how little the favour was then against the enormity of his shortcomings towards me.

On the other hand, if someone wrong me and ask for forgiveness, I quickly forgive because we are all imperfect beings and it makes sense to be receptive. But if I notice the person's weakness to apologize, I open up communication and relax his spirit and that'd be after a while.

I am a strong person so it doesn't take me anything to seek for forgiveness whenever I wrong anyone. I usually beg twice and then my spirit is calm whether you accept or not.
1. Beg fervently on the first attempt.
2. Take a person to beg or do it publicly

...and that's it.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by otunbadan(m): 8:43am On Dec 28, 2014
I don't really know, I feel hurt but I never even talk about it in any way. I don't forget and I do forgive but I won't give the person a second chance to repeat it again
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Toeyean1507(f): 8:43am On Dec 28, 2014
MayflowerB:

Yea I ve met pple like dat....I once had a disagreement with a friend but I apologised and we resolved it dat same day.....we were cool for weeks den suddenly she started snubbing me....I made efforts to know why she was giving me all d unnecessary attitude but she kept mute.....I tried and tried till I almost gave up on d whole thing but a few oda pple told me to keep pushing till I know why she was angry with me......I continued till she finally opend up like wks later......guess why she was angry?
U drift my point now. Lol,I suck @ guesses. I know
her excuse won't worth d trouble buh for d fact
dat we r humans,we can't just help it
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Chubhie: 8:46am On Dec 28, 2014
In the words of Gandhi, Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong. I personally believe everyone deserves a second chance. I'm working on myself to up it to thrice. See it that it is in your own best interest to forgive which ever way you look at it be it medically, spiritually or otherwise. When I'm forgiving, I sit the person down and have a heart to heart talk and let the person know this where it all went wrong and this was how it made me feel and at the end of the day you may find out the person never really meant it that way. It all takes a great deal of understanding to truly understand all it entails to be human.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Sirphrank(m): 8:49am On Dec 28, 2014
mifavour:
it doesn't cost a thing.. I forgive and forget

Even if I dated you in anticipation of having coital union with you?
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by rman: 8:54am On Dec 28, 2014
I forgive but I don't forget.

Humans are wired to learn from experience, if we all forgive and forget then no lesson is learnt and retained from the experience and you are likely to fall victim again.

Forgive and forget is for scammers.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by mifavour(f): 9:02am On Dec 28, 2014
Sirphrank:

Even if I dated you in anticipation of having coital union with you?

karma doesn't fail.. even if it does God never fails!
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by mykeaji(m): 9:04am On Dec 28, 2014
I still can't understand why people will say forgive and forget. U can forgive but u cannot forget. It's not possible, Ur brain is not one automated machine or storage device u just delete and upload information. Yes we can upload information into our brain but we can NEVER FORGET! We can only pretend to forget by not mentioning it or ignoring it when it comes to our mind... It's that simple
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by kasbeats(m): 9:08am On Dec 28, 2014
Tallesty1:
I forgive easily and I don't wait for the offender to apologise because they may not and my happiness matters a lot to me. When someone wrongs me, I will take time to examine what happened and why it happened. Then I would learn my lesson and let it go. How can I plead my Heavenly father for forgiveness if I don't forgive others?

DEAR BROTHER
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Richiy(f): 9:11am On Dec 28, 2014
I can have a short term memory sef. It is not optional for my brain. I usually brush things aside easily and after some hours, av totally forgotten sef.

Life z too short to keep grudges.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Sirphrank(m): 9:13am On Dec 28, 2014
mifavour:

karma doesn't fail.. even if it does God never fails!
Ok ma.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by olawalebabs(m): 9:23am On Dec 28, 2014
Forgiveness is easy, forget is impossible even if you want to.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 28, 2014
When the person will be busy causing me harm and be smiling.

Omo I will wait for my turn, even if in the next century.

Do me, I do you.

I have learnt my lessons.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by ogawisdom(m): 9:28am On Dec 28, 2014
I forgive easily but may nt forget until I hit u real hard angry d way u did to me cheesy

I must b even wit u b4 we die d matter even if it takes a 100yrs lipsrsealed
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Toyrem: 9:55am On Dec 28, 2014
Coolguy89:
Wen some1 wrong me,I wil explode like angry lion,but I always end up forgiving dem,life is too short to hold grudges.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Toyrem: 9:56am On Dec 28, 2014
BonaVIta:
We free ourselves when we forgive ...
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Deefuray(f): 10:11am On Dec 28, 2014
It depends on the gravity of the offense for me.
Most times i xpect way too much from people and I end up getting dissappointed. Even though I'm trying so hard to learn the art of forgiving and forgeting, I still find it difficult forgiving and forgeting betrayal.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by axum: 10:16am On Dec 28, 2014
Its okay to forgive, but never forget. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Nobody: 10:17am On Dec 28, 2014
Deefuray:
It depends on the gravity of the offense for me.
Most times i xpect way too much from people and I end up getting dissappointed. Even though I'm trying so hard to learn the art of forgiving and forgeting, I still find it difficult forgiving and forgeting betrayal.
that's how most girls are sha but God will grant u spirit of forgiveness.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by adebayo742(m): 10:53am On Dec 28, 2014
coolIts easy to forgive the mistakes from others. But it's hard to rebuild the trust. For me I forgive completely and forget d pass. Its easier to walk away than to fight for wat you really want.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by freecocoa(f): 11:02am On Dec 28, 2014
I forgive but I don't forget since I don't have Alzheimer's.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by dammytosh: 11:15am On Dec 28, 2014
I forgive but my memory is too magnetic to forget. I recall once in a while but that is non of my business.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by EHoudini: 11:50am On Dec 28, 2014
Forgive ur enemies; do not forget their address. JFK.
I forgive but never forget.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by MayflowerB(f): 11:52am On Dec 28, 2014
SkinnyDude:

why.
Cos of d same ish which we had already resolved wks back......now dis question came up; why all d anger again after we had both resolved our differences Nd were cool afterwards?
Ans:she later had a rethink of wat happened which made her suddenly angry again nd decided to keep her distance......excuse being dat she couldnt laugh with a person she was angry with....
Nah dat day I know say females get serious problem
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by kheart(m): 11:53am On Dec 28, 2014
i easily 4giv and 4get, somtimes i cant even remember wat transpired btw me n my offender n it makes my heart free of hatred.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? / Why Should I Be An Atheist? / Atheist Goes To Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.