Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,797 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. (10665 Views)

The Delusions Of Forgiveness And The Christian Morality. / Understanding The Concept of Tithing / Of Jesus, God, Forgiveness And Final Judgement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by whytepawn1(m): 12:05pm On Dec 28, 2014
forgiveness is not easy talk more of forgive and forget. personally though I find it easier to forgive than to bear a grudge, it takes more energy and cost more to bear a grudge than to forgive. that said, we still learn lessons from such situations and try not to let them happen again ....either by making changes or avoiding some people or persons. hence for me ...forgive -Yes,forget -technically yes but practically no, not because am bearing a grudge but to prevent such instances from playing over again.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Revolva(m): 12:30pm On Dec 28, 2014
Rick Ross says GOD FORGIVES I DONT
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by xxgig(m): 1:09pm On Dec 28, 2014
A friend once directed me to someone for help, and begged I shouldn't mention his name to the person and I understood why and did as he instructed. Few days this friend call to tell me that the person I went to see for help asked if he knew me and he said no, he doesn't no me.
I felt part but the whole thing went away in less than 5min because of his honesty. My point - been honest about a situation makes forgiveness very easy.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Situation: 2:27pm On Dec 28, 2014
GFID...God Forgives I Dont...why the fvkc wud yu fvkcin offend m in da fvkcin place if yu are not fvkcin EVIL yursef..#smh gba gbe oshii, forget nonsense jorr
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Orikinla(m): 3:43pm On Dec 28, 2014
Yes.
If the person truly repents.

Those who don't know how to forgive will never know how to love.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Originalsly: 4:13pm On Dec 28, 2014
Hmmm. ..I may forgive...but will never forget. If you rob me once....I need to remember so you wouldn't rob me twice. Well...I guess people who forget tend to not learn from the past!....and keep on having the same thi.g done to them over and over again...by the same person!
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Etetejake(m): 4:21pm On Dec 28, 2014
lilbazy:
Forgiveness is all about forgiving and Forgetting,if you forgive without forgetting then that aint forgiveness....I forgave ahmed Musa for not making nigeria qualify for afcon 2015,I forgave president jonathan for not perfoming up to standard,I forgave muhamadu buhari for what happened during 2011 elections...Lastly I forgive my fowl for running away when I wanted to slaughter it for christmas.

U de craze. I forgive u for making me laugh when I plan not to.

1 Like

Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Lex11(m): 4:33pm On Dec 28, 2014
A parable...

"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt. But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses." - Matthew 18:21-35
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Princealex1(m): 5:34pm On Dec 28, 2014
lilbazy:
Forgiveness is all about forgiving and Forgetting,if you forgive without forgetting then that aint forgiveness....I forgave ahmed Musa for not making nigeria qualify for afcon 2015,I forgave president jonathan for not perfoming up to standard,I forgave muhamadu buhari for what happened during 2011 elections...Lastly I forgive my fowl for running away when I wanted to slaughter it for christmas.
forgive and forget is hyperbole,no human being can forgive and forget the best you can do is forgive
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by pawn89(m): 6:23pm On Dec 28, 2014
I forgive but have in mind you will get paid back in the same coin, not necessarily by me, but somehow I might just be in the position to make things a little better but, naa I will hold back and allow you feel the pain that I felt in full.
Unless you share that same pain with, true forgiveness is far fetched!

And about forgetting, nah... I don't and will not forget, and its not like I wanna keep grudges in my heart, but for some reason whenever I see the persons' face or have the name flashed through my mind I kinda remember gory details of what had happened.

It isn't a thing I do consciously, it just happens that way smiley smiley smiley
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Jamean(f): 8:48pm On Dec 28, 2014
AG for life grin

davide470:
Sunday School should have started now.. angry
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by bovamm(f): 11:29pm On Dec 28, 2014
Forgiveness is more than just mere lip service. To truly forgive, especially when one is deeply wronged is very hard. Forgiveness without forgetting is nothing. So for me, I simply ask the holyspirit to grant the grace to forgive so that when I remember the wrongs, I won't feel any pain. You can't forget, but when you remember
the wrongs without pain or bitterness, then that is true forgiveness.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by scalez: 11:47pm On Dec 28, 2014
A problem I have is that when I love, I give my all. I overlook things for a while but once I hurt. It takes me 180 degrees away. It is wrong but that is how I'm wired.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Jasperwhizz(m): 10:49am On Dec 29, 2014
AsherStorm:
No...
There are heavy offenses u don't easily forgive cos these offenses are hard to forget... It is only offenses that are easily forgotten that are easily forgiven

Contact me from my profile
learn to forgive and remember what JESUS SAID DONT REVENGE AND DNT KEEP GRUDGES.
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 30, 2014
IamDejman:
I forgive and forget bearing in mind that there is Karma grin
lop .ose dear .
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by Orikinla(m): 2:14pm On Dec 30, 2014
Monday, December 29, 2014

[size=18pt]Life Is a Gift[/size]

"Pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."1

"There was a blind girl [or so the story goes] who hated herself because of her blindness. Not only did she hate herself but she hated everyone else, except her loving boyfriend. He was always there for her. She said that if she could only see the world, she would marry her boyfriend.

"One day someone donated a pair of eyes to her and then she could see everything—including her boyfriend. Her boyfriend asked her, 'Now that you can see the world, will you marry me?' The girl was shocked when she saw that her boyfriend was blind too, and refused to marry him. Her boyfriend walked away in tears, and later wrote a letter to her that simply said, 'Just take care of my eyes dear.'

"Too often we change when our status changes. Only a few remember what life was like before and even fewer remember who to thank for always being there when times were painfully unbearable.

"Life is a gift, so today: Before you think of saying an unkind word, think of someone who can't speak. Before you complain about the taste of your food, think of someone who has nothing to eat. Before you complain about your husband or wife, think of someone who's crying out to God for a companion. Before you complain about your life, think of someone who went too early to heaven.

Before you complain about your children, think of someone who desires children but is barren. Before you argue about your dirty house that someone didn't clean or sweep, think of the people who are living in the streets. Before whining about the distance you drive, think of someone who walks the same distance with their feet. And when you are tired and complain about your job, think of the unemployed, the disabled and those who wished they had your job.

"And before you think of pointing the finger or condemning another, remember that not one of us is without sin and all will answer to one Maker. And when depressing thoughts seem to get you down, try to put a smile on your face and thank God you're alive and still around. Life is a gift, live it, enjoy it, celebrate it, and fulfill it.

"Enjoy the moment. It may not come around again."2

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, in the midst of life's trials help me always to count my many blessings—one by one—and learn to always give thanks to You for these, and always be grateful for what I do have and not complain about what I don't have. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus's name, amen."

1. 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 (NIV).
2. Author unknown. Source: Marcella's Inspiring Collection, http:///w9nb9.

<smiley)))><

NOTE: If you would like to accept God's forgiveness for all your sins and His invitation for a full pardon Click HERE http://www.actsweb.org/
Re: The Word 'Forgiveness' And The Concept Behind It. Whats Your Own Definition?. by unibenstudent1(m): 10:05pm On Dec 26, 2015
really ,jesus wept
MayflowerB:
I forgive too easily dat sometimes pple see me as weak ... d person doesnt even need to apologise.......I dont keep grudges nd I detest malice.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? / Why Should I Be An Atheist? / Atheist Goes To Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.