Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (326001 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by speakout2015: 2:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
Rightly said Prof.!!!

wip7:

NO need to create a Whatapp group for this thread, So I will encourage you to delete your mobile.....whatever knowledge you have or want to share, let it be shared on this forum.

This Whatsapps group often leads to criminal activities, challenges, theft and irresponsible acts and most times disturbing.

Things shared online are easily picked up by google crawling networks and that help others to know the thread and learn. While mobile chats are restricted to mobile and can't be picked by google network meaning the intended knowledge is restricted.

Thank you for your understanding.

4 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 5:45pm On Apr 17, 2020
PhD Student Scholarship in Turkey - Biomedical Sciences and Engineering

Koç University's Graduate School of Health Sciences invites you to apply to its fully-funded Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences and Engineering. The Ph.D. is a full-time, English-taught, course-based, 4-5 year interdisciplinary doctoral program with a Ph.D. qualifier exam and a doctoral thesis (dissertation) requirement supervised by a faculty member.

All admitted students are offered a 100% tuition waiver for 4 years, a monthly stipend, housing support or accommodation, health insurance, and other benefits.

Candidates should submit an online application form in the Koç University online application system (apply.ku.edu.tr) with ALL the information and documents listed below before the application deadline. Shortlisted candidates will be asked for interview (in person/Skype).

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 3:19pm On Apr 19, 2020
My Recent Scientific publication: HumanDNA Gene therapy to cure incurable diseases

Recently, we focussed on Gene Therapy. Gene therapy is a promising therapeutic approach recently adopted to effectively treat many challenging
inherited diseases and acquired incurable disorders. This has been canvassed as a breakthrough in molecular medicine. Unfortunately, its application
in vivo is inhibited due to difficulties in transportation of negatively charged molecules like DNA.

Our Approach:

In this work, we explored the feasibility of encapsulating in human DNA (hDNA) into calcium alginate-based supermacroporous cryobeads prepared via microinjection and freeze-thawing cryogelation protocol. We succeeded and tested the efficacy on the incurable diseases. We have received funding for this research and we just published one of the results from our research.

Research team:

Prof Wip, 3 other Professors from faculty of medicine, Material scientist and clinical chemist and a PhD student.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 19, 2020
wip7:
My Recent Scientific publication: HumanDNA Gene therapy to cure incurable diseases

Recently, we focussed on Gene Therapy. Gene therapy is a promising therapeutic approach recently adopted to effectively treat many challenging
inherited diseases and acquired incurable disorders. This has been canvassed as a breakthrough in molecular medicine. Unfortunately, its application
in vivo is inhibited due to difficulties in transportation of negatively charged molecules like DNA.

Our Approach:

In this work, we explored the feasibility of encapsulating in human DNA (hDNA) into calcium alginate-based supermacroporous cryobeads prepared via microinjection and freeze-thawing cryogelation protocol. We succeeded and tested the efficacy on the incurable diseases. We have received funding for this research and we just published one of the results from our research.

Research team:

Prof Wip, 3 other Professors from faculty of medicine, Material scientist and clinical chemist and a PhD student.
sir,are you a Nigerian;if yes,tell me your life story?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by chalxdon(m): 5:49am On Apr 20, 2020
wip7:

Our Approach:

Research team:

Nice one Prof. I like the aspect of encapsulation.
Quality research

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by compreyus: 8:58am On Apr 20, 2020
IMPROVE YOURSELF DURING LOCKDOWN. LEARN
ANALYSIS & INTERPRETATION OF DATA ONLINE.
*With as low as a thousand naira, you can learn a skill that will benefit you a lifetime. statistical
analysis is a skill that is indispensable in every tertiary institution & acquiring the skill does not only put you ahead of others, but fetches extra income as it is a well sought out skill.*
We are actually running the training to help students especially undergraduate students in their penultimate and final year, and postgraduate students.
You can benefit by not only acquiring an invaluable skill for yourself alone but can also make some extra money from colleagues who don't have the skill.
Single statistical analysis of project may cost students btw 5-20k depending on location and volume of work done.
The packages have been splitted to allow all categories benefit.

CHAT OR TEXT 08039244808 TO REGISTER.

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Unigrad: 11:10am On Apr 20, 2020
wip7:

Our Approach:

Research team:

So sorry to ask, are you a human being from Nigeria?
Have been following your responses, it's seem you are professor in all fields.
Please Sir, how are you doing it?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by olawalepopoola: 11:35am On Apr 20, 2020
wip7:

Our Approach:

Research team:

Congratulations Sir.
One thing I like about Taylor and Francis is there thorough but fast peer review process

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by livelovelaugh: 12:11pm On Apr 20, 2020
Should you
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 2:35pm On Apr 20, 2020
Polymath369:
sir,are you a Nigerian;if yes,tell me your life story?

Thank you and I appreciate your support in moving this thread forward. My interest is to assist younger African in terms of Research and I often share some of my works here. We have much larger work but am trying to create an avenue to put all on a website in the form of training, support and insights to sprout research interests among African.

I believe many African can do much better if given the right environment to propel.....although we have many (as you people call it "The WAILERS" ....these ones will wail if Jesus does not come and will also wail if Jesus comes).......... I have seen these wailing acts are common among current youth in Africa and Nigeria specifically...as their energy is directed to frivolous pieces of stuff rather than a sustainable and honest and dedicated smart pathway.

3 citizenships and one nationality.

Unigrad:

So sorry to ask, are you a human being from Nigeria? Have been following your responses, it's seem you are professor in all fields. Please Sir, how are you doing it?

Thank you for contributing to the thread.

My research activities focus on sustainable and green processes for the synthesis of advanced functional materials. The main application areas include water purification, energy recovery, bioelectricity generation, energy storage devices, sensors, drug delivery, biomedical implants and controlled release drugs for biomedical application and portable electronics etc.

What I do at my spare time is coding/software (am self-taught), I love climbing mountains (I learn how to combat challenges, resilience and creativity during these frequent trips). Am Avid traveller (currently visited 75 countries and will go more until 170 at least).

Life: I don't believe in negativity, meaning I always see good things in stuffs that helps me to turn things around. I don't believe the colour of my skin, my height, my language, my gender, my nationality or residency will hinder me to achieve....this gives me huge boasting energy to excel in what I do.

Don't let us derail this thread .....I prefer to talk more about research than personal history.

Thank you guys....Let contribute more to the thread positively.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 2:40pm On Apr 20, 2020
chalxdon:

Nice one Prof. I like the aspect of encapsulation.
Quality research

Thank you so much.

Yes Encapsulation makes lot of sense because even after the delivery of these biomolecules to the patient, they are still vulnerable to degradation; and thus require protection to assure potency and maintain integrity. To curtail these constraints, an encapsulation strategy in a suitable controlled delivery vehicle has been adopted. The controlled release vehicles have become the focal point for various material scientists and biomedical industries; because they can maintain the biomacromolecules (such as nucleic acids, proteins and peptides) concentrations within the cellular microenvironment, inhibit their degradation and reduce toxicity to non-target cells and provide a sustained release to the target organs.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 2:42pm On Apr 20, 2020
olawalepopoola:

Congratulations Sir.
One thing I like about Taylor and Francis is there thorough but fast peer review process

Thank you..

YES, Taylor and Francis is pretty fast and rigorous in the peer review system in fact within 3 months we had about 6 papers from them while some Elservier journals seem lagging.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by guiddoti: 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2020
wip7:

Thank you and I appreciate your support in moving this thread forward. My interest is to assist younger African in terms of Research and I often share some of my works here. We have much larger work but am trying to create an avenue to put all on a website in the form of training, support and insights to sprout research interests among African.

I believe many African can do much better if given the right environment to propel.....although we have many (as you people call it "The WAILERS" ....these ones will wail if Jesus does not come and will also wail if Jesus comes).......... I have seen these wailing acts are common among current youth in Africa and Nigeria specifically...as their energy is directed to frivolous pieces of stuff rather than a sustainable and honest and dedicated smart pathway.

3 citizenships and one nationality.

Thank you for contributing to the thread.

My research activities focus on sustainable and green processes for the synthesis of advanced functional materials. The main application areas include water purification, energy recovery, bioelectricity generation, energy storage devices, sensors, drug delivery, biomedical implants and controlled release drugs for biomedical application and portable electronics etc.

What I do at my spare time is coding/software (am self-taught), I love climbing mountains (I learn how to combat challenges, resilience and creativity during these frequent trips). Am Avid traveller (currently visited 75 countries and will go more until 170 at least).

Life: I don't believe in negativity, meaning I always see good things in stuffs that helps me to turn things around. I don't believe the colour of my skin, my height, my language, my gender, my nationality or residency will hinder me to achieve....this gives me huge boasting energy to excel in what I do.

Don't let us derail this thread .....I prefer to talk more about research than personal history.

Thank you guys....Let contribute more to the thread positively.
God bless you prof. I could feel your zeal and passion long time ago to helping people on this platform. I cannot just hid the feeling that I have to say God bless you. Stay safe.

If only 90% of our lecturers are like you, PhD in Nigeria would have been so easily driven and good but it is something else.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Iceman2020: 7:30pm On Apr 20, 2020
Good day Prof Wip,
Thank you so much for the knowledge you have been sharing on this platform. You are a motivating factor for upcoming scholars like me.
Please I would like you to answer some of my questions.
(1) How can someone analyze/interprete the results of a journal?
(2) How can I critique a journal?

Your response to these questions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you once again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Bintujamila: 7:55pm On Apr 20, 2020
Hi, please I need help and mentoring with my research result data. I'm doing a PhD in chemistry.
Pls any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:00pm On Apr 20, 2020
Iceman2020:
Good day Prof Wip,
Thank you so much for the knowledge you have been sharing on this platform. You are a motivating factor for upcoming scholars like me.
Please I would like you to answer some of my questions.

Your response to these questions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you once again.

Good day.

I really want to answer these questions. But I don't understand the questions. Please explain more or illustrate so I can answer

Do you mean a published work and you want to understand the trend already discussed in the published article? When you use the word "Journal" does it means "published article or published research paper or published review paper"? Or you meant something like "Journal of Material Engineering"?

Still confused with what you meant here. Do you mean to review a published paper or a specific Journal like "Journal of Cancer Materials"?

If I understand, I will be able to provide direct answers and support with illustrations. I await your response.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by babyfaceafrica: 8:05pm On Apr 20, 2020
Please I will like to know how much it takes to do a PhD program in nigeria.. Is 2m enough?.. I am talking of federal universities please.. Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:06pm On Apr 20, 2020
guiddoti:
God bless you prof. I could feel your zeal and passion long time ago to helping people on this platform. I cannot just hide the feeling that I have to say God bless you. Stay safe.

If only 90% of our lecturers are like you, PhD in Nigeria would have been so easily driven and good but it is something else.

Thank you so much and I do appreciate the support and God bless you also.

You are right in the bold section. From a little encounter with some, the stories remain the same "lack of equipment/facilities". While many are not supposed to be lecturer nor even work in academia but the state of the economy pushed them into. The bedrock of education is research and any lecturer that only teach without research needs a re-think because all universities are ranked based on the quality of their research output.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:09pm On Apr 20, 2020
Bintujamila:
Hi, please I need help and mentoring with my research result data. I'm doing a PhD in chemistry.
Pls any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

May I know your research area? Have you consulted your supervisor? have you checked your supervisor previously published papers? Get back with response so experts on this thread can help, I believe on this thread we have lots of experts willing to aid.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Iceman2020: 8:17pm On Apr 20, 2020
Thanks what I am trying to say is for a published journal.... Each time I download an article and when I get to the results part, the results of the graphs usually get confusing. Can you please advice how to interpret the results so that it can be understandable.

The other one is how can one proffer a better solution to a published journal. I am a MSc student writing my thesis and my supervisor asks me to critique some journals.

wip7:

Good day.

I really want to answer these questions. But I don't understand the questions. Please explain more or illustrate so I can answer

Do you mean a published work and you want to understand the trend already discussed in the published article? When you use the word "Journal" does it means "published article or published research paper or published review paper"? Or you meant something like "Journal of Material Engineering"?

Still confused with what you meant here. Do you mean to review a published paper or a specific Journal like "Journal of Cancer Materials"?

If I understand, I will be able to provide direct answers and support with illustrations. I await your response.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 9:02pm On Apr 20, 2020
Iceman2020:
Thank what I am trying to say is for a published journal.... Each time I download an article and when I get to the results part, the results of the graphs usually get confusing. Can you please advice how to interpret the results so that it can be understandable.

I understand you much better now. This is quite easy, however, you need to get familiarised with it and be attentive to each trend observed and discuss the major trend. I can teach you and you will know it. Before I teach you, I will like to know your current level of understanding scientific or academic results when visualized.

I have attached one of my graphs from my recently published paper (2019). I want you to interpret this graph to the best of your ability...Don't rush, take your time and must not be today. Then I will be able to have an idea about your present level.

Pointer: CB= Carbonized Adsorbent, CMB= Magnetized carbonized material. Note that the bars are linked with the removal (%)

The other one is how can one proffer a better solution to a published journal. I am a MSc student writing my thesis and my supervisor asks me to critique some journals.

You have to make a critique and send me at least 1-2 pages and send me copy of the journal then I will review and assess you then point you to some directions and tips to improve your paper review.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Huzzle001: 7:41pm On Apr 22, 2020
Please Prof,

With B.sc Business Administration (2:1)
and an MBA

Both from a Nigerian University.

What are my chances of gaining fully funded scholarship for a direct Phd in a foreign university, possibly Canada, UK or any other country?

Should I go back for an MSC in Nigeria (and possibly apply later for a PhD as it gives me a better chance) or will it be possible to gain admission for an MSC abroad on scholarship and subsequently seek for a Phd admission there?

I really want to further in the area of academics with keen interest in entrepreneurship in relation with emerging economies.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 9:43pm On Apr 22, 2020
Huzzle001:
Please Prof,

With B.sc Business Administration (2:1)
and an MBA

Both from a Nigerian University.

What are my chances of gaining fully funded scholarship for a direct Phd in a foreign university, possibly Canada, UK or any other country?

Each country/university has its admission criteria and scholarship criteria for PhD. Someone may be admittable but such person may not meet the requirement to be awarded a full or partial scholarship or vice versa.

So I believe you have a good chance, so give it a try. Don't let anything serves as blocking rock to achieving your vision.

Since you have a bachelor degree and MBA, you can apply directly for a PhD...I don't see any reasons why you should do another MSc before going for a PhD unless you choose to.

Here is a common Admission Requirement for PhD in a Business related program abroad (extracted from a Canadian University webpage):

Education

In most circumstances, a master’s degree from a university of recognized standing in an appropriate area of study is required. Applicants without a business background will be considered but may require additional courses in the functional areas of business.

Research interest

A clear and strong statement of your research interest focusing on what you want to study, and identifying at least one of our faculty members who focus on this area of expertise, will benefit your application. You are strongly encouraged to read our faculty profiles to identify whether your research interests align with our faculty members. Highlight this alignment in your application.

GMAT or GRE (some university don't ask but can strengthen student application)

A GMAT score of at least 600 or GRE with a balanced score of 302 is required.

Typical PhD Scholarship Requirements (PhD is for Research):

PhD scholarship is often competitive. Scholarships are awarded based on an applicant’s academic record, research output and prior research experience. So, candidate’s past records of education (CGPA), documents submitted during the application, research experience and skills, research interest and Quality of Research proposal, how relevant the person research aligned to the faculty or specific supervisor as well as the clarity of objectives are taken into consideration by committee members during evaluation.

Should I go back for an MSC in Nigeria (and possibly apply later for a PhD as it gives me a better chance) or will it be possible to gain admission for an MSC abroad on scholarship and subsequently seek for a Phd admission there?
I really want to further in the area of academics with keen interest in entrepreneurship in relation with emerging economies.

I don't see why you should do that, you already have MBA.....that's master in Business Administration or was it honorary? So why would you need to go get MSC again?

There is large number of students that got admitted from Bachelor directly into PhD abroad. I have 4 of my ex-undergraduate students who got admitted directly from Bachelor to PhD without having a master degree. These undergraduate students were in my lab and each had 4 reputable research papers which happened to be related to their chosen PhD, the university found them well-equipped with a competitive academic record, reasonable research output and sound prior research experience.

Even, I had my ex-undergraduate student with her low CGPA she had two research papers and was finally admitted directly to PhD in the USA (Bachelor to PhD) just this last Feb and she resumed already. She contacted me for a Ref and I have screenshot her letter here.

In summary, visit websites of each university you wish to study, check their requirements and see if you meet up, apply and wait. The procedure and steps are generally stated on the universities websites.

Best wishes

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Huzzle001: 12:24am On Apr 23, 2020
wip7:

Each country/university has its admission criteria and scholarship criteria for PhD. Someone may be admittable but such person may not meet the requirement to be awarded a full or partial scholarship or vice versa.

So I believe you have a good chance, so give it a try. Don't let anything serves as blocking rock to achieving your vision.

Since you have a bachelor degree and MBA, you can apply directly for a PhD...I don't see any reasons why you should do another MSc before going for a PhD unless you choose to.

Here is a common Admission Requirement for PhD in a Business related program abroad (extracted from a Canadian University webpage):

Education

In most circumstances, a master’s degree from a university of recognized standing in an appropriate area of study is required. Applicants without a business background will be considered but may require additional courses in the functional areas of business.

Research interest

A clear and strong statement of your research interest focusing on what you want to study, and identifying at least one of our faculty members who focus on this area of expertise, will benefit your application. You are strongly encouraged to read our faculty profiles to identify whether your research interests align with our faculty members. Highlight this alignment in your application.

PhD scholarship is often competitive. Scholarships are awarded based on an applicant’s academic record, research output and prior research experience. So, candidate’s past records of education (CGPA), documents submitted during the application, research experience and skills, research interest and Quality of Research proposal, how relevant the person research aligned to the faculty or specific supervisor as well as the clarity of objectives are taken into consideration by committee members during evaluation.

I don't see why you should do that, you already have MBA.....that's master in Business Administration or was it honorary? So why would you need to go get MSC again?

There is large number of students that got admitted from Bachelor directly into PhD abroad. I have 4 of my ex-undergraduate students who got admitted directly from Bachelor to PhD without having a master degree. These undergraduate students were in my lab and each had 4 reputable research papers which happened to be related to their chosen PhD, the university found them well-equipped with a competitive academic record, reasonable research output and sound prior research experience.

Even, I had my ex-undergraduate student with her low CGPA she had two research papers and was finally admitted directly to PhD in the USA (Bachelor to PhD) just this last Feb and she resumed already. She contacted me for a Ref and I have screenshot her letter here.

In summary, visit websites of each university you wish to study, check their requirements and see if you meet up, apply and wait. The procedure and steps are generally stated on the universities websites.

Best wishes

Thank you so much, my MBA is not honorary I actually did a 2 years course. I will start looking up universities and prospective supervisors that can support my area of research interest. Thank you for this, I am fired up to take the next step.

4 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by linked: 10:41am On Apr 23, 2020
wip7:

Education

Research interest

Best wishes
Prof please, to what university was she admitted?. I would love to explore it too.. Thank you
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 5:27pm On Apr 23, 2020
FLAIR Fellowships for African

Future Leaders – African Independent Research (FLAIR) Fellowships are for talented African early career researchers who have the potential to become leaders in their field. These fellowships provide the opportunity to build an independent research career in a sub-Saharan African institution and to undertake cutting-edge scientific research that will address global challenges facing developing countries.

Am I eligible to apply?

You can apply for this scheme if you:

---Are a national of a sub-Saharan African country;
---Hold a PhD by the time you apply;
---Are an early career researcher with a minimum of two years of research experience since completing your PhD and no more than eight years of post-doctoral research experience;
----Wish to hold the fellowship in a research institution in an Official Development Assistance (ODA) eligible sub-Saharan African country;
---Have a clearly defined scientific research proposal focusing on one or more of the Global Challenge areas outlined in the scheme notes.

What is the scheme's value and duration?

This scheme provides an award of up to £150,000 per year for two years in the first instance, covering:

Research Fellow's salary, up to £45,000 per year.

Research expenses
- Research assistance
- Equipment costs
- Travel expenses
- Research consumables

Applications should be made through the Royal Society’s grant management system Flexi-Grant®

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 6:25pm On Apr 27, 2020
Graduate Research Proposal for a Self-funded or Scholarship

Today, I will provide some details regarding the research proposal with a focus on PhD applicants although applicable to prospective master students. Also, the focus will be more for institutions abroad and I believe is adaptable to national institutions also.

If you are applying for a graduate programme, you will need to submit a research proposal with your application; this forms the basis for making a judgement about your suitability for graduate research.

What is a Research Proposal?

A research proposal is an outline of the applicant proposed research that is used to persuade potential supervisors and funders that your area of research is worthy of their support.

Why is the research proposal important?

---It is used to establish whether the university has the expertise and research facilities to support your proposed area of research
---It is a crucial part of the assessment of your application
---To have an idea of your theoretical understanding, that is some evidence of your ability to conceptualise and apply theoretical resources.
---To gauge the quality of your writing so that your potential to write research papers for publication is known.

Does a Research Proposal have word limits or fixed format?

Research proposals do not have a fixed format and may vary in length. Hence, so it is essential to check with the department or university to which you are applying to check the guidelines and word limits. Typically it is between 2000 and 3,000 words in length (3-6 pages). Times New Roman 12 point is preferable where the words are Justify to make it a clean paper.

Is the research topic fixed? Should I just send a proposal to any supervisor or a specific supervisor?

The title of the research proposal is not fixed and is just the starting point, as your ideas evolve your proposed research is likely to change. Many applicants seem to be fixed when it comes to the research proposal title and whom to send to. I understand that some applicants have research area they have experience and skills on, however, you have to be very flexible and inculcate the ability to learn and re-learn.

If an applicant is working on bitter kola in Nigeria with a focus on its medicinal and antiviral properties. If such an applicant prepares a beautiful research proposal and sends to researcher/supervisor in Slovenia. The chances that no supervisor will respond is nearly 95%. This is just simply because in Slovenia, they don't know what is bitter kola and that won't be one of their research focuses. Source of the precursor is scarce or unknown.

Similarly, if an applicant sends a research proposal about the treatment of water polluted by crude oil to a supervisor in Rwanda or Hungary or Cyprus. Chances that such applicant won't be considered is very high because these countries do not have their own oil reserves and most researchers there don't even have firsthand detailed information about oil pollution and likely will not be in their interest.

Here are some tips to guide applicants when it comes to title and whom to send to:

---First, you have to check the research profile of the supervisors in the department you are applying and scheme out those that are working in your field of research. These are the ones you will send to. You cannot send a proposal about water treatment to a researcher working on Meningitis

---Second, you need to make a title that is very flexible and suitable to be adapted to a high number of international settings. So, clearly define the topic that you are interested in studying.

If you find a researcher working on water treatment and you have an interest. Then you have to ensure the nature of pollutant such research is working on. Instead of sending a title like this "Application of Fe3O4 nanoparticles for treatment of Chloroquine polluted hospital water". This is title makes it very rigid and may not be very suitable and interesting due to lack of or trace amounts of chloroquine in the hospital waters of where you will study. Rather, you may change the title to "Novel Iron-based nanomaterial for the total removal of emerging contaminants in Hospital waters". This particular title is not rigid and not directly fixed on a particular target pollutant (chloroquine) or particular adsorbent (Fe3O4) that is alien to another researcher or country but covers various other related and suitable research work.

---In your proposal show that you have begun to identify and develop an interesting and original research question in relation to your chosen topic

---Explain your reasons for wanting to undertake this research

What are the criteria used by the committee?

The committee likely employs the following criteria in reaching its conclusions. Depending on the nature of the research you proposed, the relative weight of those criteria may vary. this is not fixed, but am using an example of what we use in my location and a few other countries I have participated or work.

This is divided into two sections: General criteria and Specific criteria.

General criteria: This majorly looks into the scientific originality of the proposed research.

---Should not be limited: The proposal must not limit itself to a purely descriptive overview of sources or empirical data. It has to show your personal contribution in assessing and analysing the main research question and/or the sources and empirical data.

----The thoroughness of the proposed research: This part reviews the degree to which the proposal’s approach is likely to answer the research questions completely, and whether it is supported by the relevant empirical data and/or sources.

----The interdisciplinary nature of the proposed research: This will check if the proposal and methodology tend to employ a variety of disciplines so as to reach a systematic comparison and /or integration of these disciplines.

Specific criteria: This evaluates with respect to methodology (research questions, context, research approach and planning).

-----Reproducible and intersubjectivity: The proposed research methodology must entail clarity of purpose that others can repeat it, and as the case may be, can improve upon it or criticise it.

-----Accuracy and Adequacy: Proposed methodology has to be the right means to answer the research question(s) while considering potential alternative methods. Also, the retained method has to lead to correct results, clear and manageable insights.

----With respect to the (applicant)researcher: During the evaluation, the research ability and potential of the applicant, considering the research topic and the proposed methodology, will be assessed.

What should a research proposal contain?

To be continued.... undecided grin undecided

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 27, 2020
wip7:

Thank you..

YES, Taylor and Francis is pretty fast and rigorous in the peer review system in fact within 3 months we had about 6 papers from them while some Elservier journals seem lagging.

Fast? Sir, I will disagree oh. I will rather say Emerald.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:25pm On Apr 27, 2020
ejibaba:

Fast? Sir, I will disagree oh. I will rather say Emerald.

Alright ..if you disagree with the speed of publication...it’s beauty of science to disagree to agree.

I hope you are enjoying and keeping safe! Please keep safe!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Epithet: 8:45pm On Apr 27, 2020
linked:
Prof please, to what university was she admitted?. I would love to explore it too.. Thank you

This isn't exactly any concern of mine. But, I go through a lot of Education threads, this being one of the best, and I see this repeatedly and just can't help but call it out. DO YOUR RESEARCH. If you plan to apply for a doctorate program, looking for a suitable institution is the easiest endeavor you would embark on. From then on, the slope gets steeper, assuming you get admitted into the program. Just to give you an example. I was the first African in my graduate program for God knows how long. Don't take this any way, just take responsibility for yourself. If I had your documents, I'm not bragging, In a week I would provide at least 3 fully funded programs you can apply to.

Start with the simple Google search. Streamline according to research, funding opportunities, send mails to graduate coordinators, they probably know better than anyone about specific program requirements, meet those requirements (GRE/GMAT and/or TOEFL), then apply.

Please and please and please again, prospective students, put due diligence to researching options they are a deluge of them. Gracias

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.