Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,972 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (70) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (325955 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 10:54am On Apr 28, 2020
Recent Publication (April 2020): Treatment and Recovery of Valuable bioactive from Olive mill Wastewater

Here we used solid biowastes to treat heavily polluted liquid waste from olive mill industries.

This is part of a series of research that is funded. The olive mill polluted wastewater contains valuable bioactive materials that are used in cosmetic, nutrient and pharmaceutical companies. So in part of the research, we treated the polluted water and other parts we recover the valuables.

Research team: Prof. Wip, 2 other professors and a Master student.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by speakout2015: 11:26am On Apr 28, 2020
As indicated in the link below, is the list of Professor's currently looking for international students in their respective areas of interest@Chonnam National University, South Korea.
https://s.docworkspace.com/d/AMvpHUfNvpg74sjSrPumFA

4 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by compreyus: 5:39pm On Apr 28, 2020
IMPROVE YOURSELF DURING LOCKDOWN.
LEARN ANALYSIS & INTERPRETATION OF DATA ONLINE.
Do you know that with as low as 1500 naira, you can learn a skill that will benefit you a lifetime. statistical
analysis is a skill that is indispensable in every tertiary institution & acquiring the skill does not only put you ahead of others, but fetches extra income as it is a well sought out skill.*
We are actually running the training to help students especially undergraduate students in their penultimate and final year, and postgraduate students.
You can benefit by not only acquiring an invaluable skill for yourself alone but can also make some extra money from colleagues who don't have the skill.
Single statistical analysis of project may cost students btw 5-20k depending on location and volume of work done.
The packages have been splitted to allow all categories benefit.
TEXT OR CHAT 08039244808 TO REGISTER

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Tending: 10:31am On Apr 30, 2020
compreyus:
IMPROVE YOURSELF DURING LOCKDOWN.
LEARN ANALYSIS & INTERPRETATION OF DATA ONLINE.
Do you know that with as low as 1500 naira, you can learn a skill that will benefit you a lifetime. statistical
analysis is a skill that is indispensable in every tertiary institution & acquiring the skill does not only put you ahead of others, but fetches extra income as it is a well sought out skill.*
We are actually running the training to help students especially undergraduate students in their penultimate and final year, and postgraduate students.
You can benefit by not only acquiring an invaluable skill for yourself alone but can also make some extra money from colleagues who don't have the skill.
Single statistical analysis of project may cost students btw 5-20k depending on location and volume of work done.
The packages have been splitted to allow all categories benefit.
TEXT OR CHAT 08039244808 TO REGISTER

Please, you are disturbing this thread with advert. If you can't do it for free, remove your number from here.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by kingjoe(m): 12:03pm On Apr 30, 2020
thanks prof.pls stay safe .
wip7:

Visit: www.SCIE-HUB.TW insert the DOI of the article... it should be easy.

4 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 1:40pm On Apr 30, 2020
Application of Artificial intelligence (AI) & Machine Learning to Laboratory/Field Data

I am a self-taught programmer with sufficient practical skills in high-level programming languages. Over the years, I have seen how AI is being used in various industries and I learnt this to inculcate in my laboratory research data and field results; this is awesome and has been very helpful.

In my lab, I have fed data from tourism sectors, waste management, pollution control, biomedical research and disease detection into ANN to discover intricate relationships or recognize complex patterns.

In particular, I have applied AI modelling to:

1. Predict Waste Generation Rates of Hospitality Industry (paper published in the Journal of Sustainability).

Here: For the first time, this study shows that municipal waste from hospitality facilities can be forecasted by considering measurable and effective parameters via an artificial neural (AI) network-inspired forecasting model. The field results showed that 4159.9 kg (recyclable: 58.5%, general waste:
23.6% and food residue: 17.9%) and 2063.4 kg (recyclable: 33.6%, general waste: 18.5% and food residue: 47.9%) of waste were generated during the peak and lean season from the 22 hospitality facilities investigated, respectively. While the ANN predicted that small and large hotels would produce 5.45 and 22.24 tons of waste by the year 2020, respectively.

2. To understand complex relationships in portable energy-storage devices fabricated in our lab (paper recently published in Journal of Electronic Materials)

Here: excessive strain on fossil fuel resources have ignited the global energy crisis; to curtail this menace, researchers have directed concerted efforts on energy storage devices. In this research, we used chicken bones to build portable energy storage supercapacitor and applied ANN to understand the complexities, thus shortened our experimental work by 69% and we are able to understand what parameter improves the energy storage ability of the supercapacitor.

Artificial neural networks (ANN) are one of the main tools used in machine learning. ANN is brain-inspired systems inter-connected layers which are intended to replicate the way humans learn. ANN is an excellent tool for discovering patterns which are far too complex or numerous for a human programmer to extract and teach the machine to recognize.

Below are some of my works where ANN have been used.

Diagnosis of breast cancer by AI: Here, AI was applied to assess whether a lump in a breast could be malignant (cancerous) or benign (non-cancerous) from digitized images aspiration biopsy.

To be continued! grin

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Tending: 2:57pm On Apr 30, 2020
wip7:
Application of Artificial intelligence (AI) & Machine Learning to Laboratory/Field Data

I am a self-taught programmer with sufficient practical skills in high-level programming languages. Over the years, I have seen how AI is being used in various industries and I learnt this to inculcate in my laboratory research data and field results; this is awesome and has been very helpful.

In my lab, I have fed data from tourism sectors, waste management, pollution control, biomedical research and disease detection into ANN to discover intricate relationships or recognize complex patterns.

In particular, I have applied AI modelling to:

1. Predict Waste Generation Rates of Hospitality Industry (paper published in the Journal of Sustainability).

Here: For the first time, this study shows that municipal waste from hospitality facilities can be forecasted by considering measurable and effective parameters via an artificial neural (AI) network-inspired forecasting model. The field results showed that 4159.9 kg (recyclable: 58.5%, general waste:
23.6% and food residue: 17.9%) and 2063.4 kg (recyclable: 33.6%, general waste: 18.5% and food residue: 47.9%) of waste were generated during the peak and lean season from the 22 hospitality facilities investigated, respectively. While the ANN predicted that small and large hotels would produce 5.45 and 22.24 tons of waste by the year 2020, respectively.

2. To understand complex relationships in portable energy-storage devices fabricated in our lab (paper recently published in Journal of Electronic Materials)

Here: excessive strain on fossil fuel resources have ignited the global energy crisis; to curtail this menace, researchers have directed concerted efforts on energy storage devices. In this research, we used chicken bones to build portable energy storage supercapacitor and applied ANN to understand the complexities, thus shortened our experimental work by 69% and we are able to understand what parameter improves the energy storage ability of the supercapacitor.

Artificial neural networks (ANN) are one of the main tools used in machine learning. ANN is brain-inspired systems inter-connected layers which are intended to replicate the way humans learn. ANN is an excellent tool for discovering patterns which are far too complex or numerous for a human programmer to extract and teach the machine to recognize.

Below are some of my works where ANN have been used.

Diagnosis of breast cancer by AI: Here, AI was applied to assess whether a lump in a breast could be malignant (cancerous) or benign (non-cancerous) from digitized images aspiration biopsy.

To be continued! grin

Good Day prof.

This is great, waiting for the remaining part.

However, my case is a little bit complex.

This is the part I really love to delve in. My challenges now is that I don't know were to start from.

Sometimes ago, I asked some questions which you gave a solid answer and way forward. My area of interest is AI.

Please, let me know were to start from and how to make sure I get at least something to publish.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 7:40pm On May 02, 2020
Update on Artificial Intelligence (AI)

AI is an important technology that receives a lot of media attention; however, many of its definitions are overly vague. In fact, a lot of people have opinions about it even if they are unfamiliar with how it works neither it limits or capabilities.

In a simple way, we can say AI is the capability of a machine to imitate intelligent human behaviour. AI is not new and in fact, it has existed for over 60 years but today, these technologies have become immensely sophisticated and advanced. Arthur Samuel had a goal to teach a computer to play checkers better than himself, so in 1959, he taught a computer program to play checkers. He succeeded, and in 1962 his program beat the checkers champion of the state of Connecticut. What he did was to teach computer which simply means machine learning which is a subset of AI.

Difference between AI, Machine learning (ML), Artificial Neural Network (ANN) and Deep learning (DL)?

AI, machine learning, deep learning, ANN are often used interchangeably to describe software that behaves intelligently. All these are different and works differently and it is useful to understand the key distinctions among them. Notably, they all point to one goal which is making a machine to be intelligent like or more than human. Note that there are a lot of ways to simulate human intelligence, and some methods are more intelligent than others.

Machine learning is a subset of AI and deep learning is a subset of machine learning, and artificial neural network It is a structure consisting of ML algorithms. In other words, all machine learning is AI, but not all AI is machine learning.

What are some of the Programming Languages used in AI and ML or to deploy the apps?

Python, Java, Lisp, Prolog, R, C++ and Scala programming Languages are major programming language used for artificial intelligence. Python is considered to be in the first place in the list of all AI development languages due to simplicity and plenty of libraries in python. However, it is up to a developer to choose which of the AI languages will gratify the desired functionality and features of the application requirements. For me, I use Python R, Scala in that order.

Artificial Neural Network and it's Applications

ANN is a set of algorithms, modelled loosely after the human brain and train to recognize patterns or approximate. It interprets sensory data through machine perception, labelling or clustering of raw input.

ANN consists of the following components:

Data------train input data-----construct different ANN model---select best ANN model selected subset-----test the model on testing data

Neurons – A neuron is a mathematical function designed to imitate the functioning of a biological neuron. The artificial neuron computes the average weight of the input data and transmits the result through an activation function (such as linear, hyperbolic tangent activation function, logistic activation and rectified linear activation function).

Connection and weights – The connections connect a neuron in one layer to another neuron in another or the same layer. Each connection has a weight value which represents the strength of the connection between the units.

Propagation function – This is a function that is used to transport values through the neurons of AN layers. The input values are added up considering the weights and biases and transmitted to an activation function, which generates an output. In the neural network, two propagation functions are often used: the forward propagation that delivers the “predicted value” and backward propagation that delivers the “error value.”

ANN procedure– the neural network does not just simply memorize a set of data but we train different ANN models with the training dataset, select the one that performs best on the selected dataset and test its capabilities with testing data subset.

Learning rate and Training Strategy – Since you want to teach the machine to be intelligent, then you have to train it. So the learning rate decides how quickly or slowly you want to update the weight values of the model. There are numbers of training algorithms like Gradient descent; Quasi-Newton method; Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm; Stochastic gradient descent, Adaptative linear momentum and many more. Each has its advantages and drawbacks. For a smaller dataset, let say 15 variables, 2000 instances; Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm is recommended due to its high speed but not good for a large dataset due to it's lower memory. While for extensive data sets (1500 variables and 1000000 instances), the stochastic gradient descent or the adaptative linear momentum methods are the best choices.

Few examples of what ANN can do:

These can be classified under

Classification (or pattern recognition)

-----Diagnose breast cancer form from diagnosis images.
-----Detect forged banknotes or predict the probability of default of credit card clients.
-----Increase the conversion rate of telemarketing campaigns in banks.
-----Detect diseased trees from remote sensing data
-----Diagnose acute inflammations of the urinary bladder.
-----Detect faces, identify people in images, recognize facial expressions (angry, joyful)
-----Classify text as spam (in emails), or fraudulent or plagiarism; recognize sentiment in text
-----Detect voices, identify speakers, transcribe speech to text, recognize sentiment in voices
-----Detect fake or low-quality wines (my students work on this for her final year project)

Approximation (or function regression)

-----Model the strength of high-performance concrete or building materials.
-----Predict the noise generated by airfoil blades.
-----Predict the energy storage capabilities of batteries or supercapacitor (I worked on this and obtained practical results)
-----Predict the electricity generated by combined cycle power plants or forecast the power generated by a solar plants
-----Forecast waste generation rates of a community, hotel or facilities (worked on this and published the paper)
-----Monitor conditions in a greenhouse for optimum agricultural yields and disease detection

Below picture is a simple pathway on how ANN works

To be continued grin grin

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by hupo: 2:19pm On May 04, 2020
[quote author=wip7 post=29240256]

Good day Prof.,

Kudos to your priceless contributions to this thread.

I hold both M.Sc and B.Eng degrees in Chemical Engineering, both from Nigerian Universities and intend to pursue a PhD in heterogenous catalysis in the same discipline.

My interest is geared towards biodiesel production from waste oil. I bumped into one of our comments indicating you had at one time researched into this area.

Please any chance you could send me links to your research article in the afore mentioned area. I need to bring myself up to speed regarding resent "happenings" in that area and perhaps broker further conversation with you.

Best Regards!

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 4:16pm On May 04, 2020
hupo:

Good day Prof.,
Kudos to your priceless contributions to this thread.
I hold both M.Sc and B.Eng degrees in Chemical Engineering, both from Nigerian Universities and intend to pursue a PhD in heterogenous catalysis in the same discipline.
My interest is geared towards biodiesel production from waste oil. I bumped into one of our comments indicating you had at one time researched into this area.
Please any chance you could send me links to your research article in the afore mentioned area. I need to bring myself up to speed regarding resent "happenings" in that area and perhaps broker further conversation with you.

Best Regards!

Thank you. Yeah, I have some works in the production of biodiesel from waste cooking oil and other waste oils via a heterogeneous catalyst. Find here:

In this work, a magnetically recyclable eggshell-based catalyst was synthesized to circumvent saponification during the conversion of neem, Jatropha, and waste cooking oils to biodiesel. The effects of process parameters for maximum fatty acid methyl ester content were evaluated by central composite design and artificial neural network.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by taibat61(m): 5:36pm On May 04, 2020
Plz follow @FTIStaffNg on Twitter and retweet with comments with d below #tag

Don't forget to mention the Director of IPPIS
@FinMinNigeria
@MBuhari
@cenbank
@NLCHeadquarters
@LabourMinistry
@BashirAhmaad

#FGPayOurAprilSalary and #NewMinimumWageArrears

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 8:40pm On May 04, 2020
Doctoral Position on Machine Learning / Data Analytics in Energy Markets & Systems

Experience: Knowledge in the following areas is advantageous:

---Skills in Data Analytics software (e.g. R, SPSS)
---Basic knowledge in Machine Learning
---Basic skills in Java or Python
---Knowledge about the energy system or energy markets
---Knowledge about the potential of digital technologies
---Basic skills in modelling and optimization

The University offers a PhD study program with a contract of 36 months, with a further possible 1-year extension if required, on a full-time basis (40 hrs/week). The University of Luxembourg offers highly competitive salaries and is an equal opportunity employer.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by hupo: 7:17pm On May 05, 2020
Received Prof., Thank you very kindly.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Yildiz: 11:25pm On May 05, 2020
Thanks
wip7:
Doctoral Position on Machine Learning / Data Analytics in Energy Markets & Systems

Experience: Knowledge in the following areas is advantageous:

---Skills in Data Analytics software (e.g. R, SPSS)
---Basic knowledge in Machine Learning
---Basic skills in Java or Python
---Knowledge about the energy system or energy markets
---Knowledge about the potential of digital technologies
---Basic skills in modelling and optimization

The University offers a PhD study program with a contract of 36 months, with a further possible 1-year extension if required, on a full-time basis (40 hrs/week). The University of Luxembourg offers highly competitive salaries and is an equal opportunity employer.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 4:28pm On May 09, 2020
Recent Book/Book chapter: Photocatalytic Degradation of Toxic Pesticides: Mechanistic Insights

Here is a recent book published by Wiley. This book focuses on the application of photocatalysts for advanced Wastewater Treatment and comprehensively covers a range of topics aiming to promote the implementation of photocatalysis at large scale through the provision of facile and green methods for catalysts synthesis and elucidation of pollutants degradation mechanisms.

Writers: Prof. Wip7 and several other researchers in 35 countries and edited by top researchers from South Africa and the USA.

Interested to buy, you can get a copy via the WILEY publisher.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 20, 2020
wip7:
Recent Publication (April 2020): Treatment and Recovery of Valuable bioactive from Olive mill Wastewater

Here we used solid biowastes to treat heavily polluted liquid waste from olive mill industries.

This is part of a series of research that is funded. The olive mill polluted wastewater contains valuable bioactive materials that are used in cosmetic, nutrient and pharmaceutical companies. So in part of the research, we treated the polluted water and other parts we recover the valuables.

Research team: Prof. Wip, 2 other professors and a Master student.

Wow! Hearty congratulations, Prof! Keep winning!

Your research ethic and work rate are superb and very commendable. I just found your Researchgate profile and was blown away to say the least. You are a very great inspiration.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Electrical engineering and my research areas lie at the nexus of Model-Predictive Control Systems, Active Disturbance Rejection Control, and Robotics.

Presently, I have three publications (all co-authored) - a journal with Applications of Modelling and Simulation, which I hear isn't indexed on Scopus, and two conference papers with IEEE (one is available on IEEEXplore). I'm working on two other papers at the moment that will be submitted to the Advances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems Journal (ASTESJ) (indexed on Scopus).

I only started my journey as a researcher in 2018 after my baccalaureate so I'm relatively new to the whole process. At the moment, I use MATLAB/Simulink, EDraw, MS Visio, and AxMath (for LaTeX editing), as my major research tools.

I'm interested in starting applications for an MS in Robotics and Control Systems (or any EE/MechE program with a Robotics track) towards Fall 2021. To bolster my application, I plan to first-author and publish a paper with a journal that is indexed on Elsevier or Scopus, with a good impact factor.

The major challenge is that I can't seem to find any good free journals to do this. So, I would love it if you could help recommend some quality journals for Robotics, Automation, 3D Printing, CAD, and Control systems.

Also, none of my papers have been cited since they were published, so I was wondering if there were some tips you could give this budding researcher to get more citations and visibility.

Thank you, Prof. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Cheers.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 1:20pm On May 24, 2020
Happy Eid to All

As you all celebrate, may the joyous occasion of Eid spread joy, peace and happiness to your heart and across your home.

Prof. WIP

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 1:21pm On May 24, 2020
Clinolit:

Cheers.

I will respond.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 1:24pm On May 24, 2020
wip7:

I will respond.
Alright, Prof. Thank you.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nabeeq(m): 12:27pm On May 25, 2020
Let me take a seat and learn from the bosses.

I just finished my undergrad studies (Bsc Computer Science) and I have a chapter just accepted in Springer.

So cool to be here..... cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 9:06am On May 29, 2020
Clinolit:

Your research ethic and work rate are superb and very commendable. I just found your Researchgate profile and was blown away to say the least. You are a very great inspiration.

Thank you and I appreciate.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Electrical engineering and my research areas lie at the nexus of Model-Predictive Control Systems, Active Disturbance Rejection Control, and Robotics.

It is a quite impressive and emerging field of EE.

Presently, I have three publications (all co-authored) - a journal with Applications of Modelling and Simulation, which I hear isn't indexed on Scopus, and two conference papers with IEEE (one is available on IEEEXplore). I'm working on two other papers at the moment that will be submitted to the Advances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems Journal (ASTESJ) (indexed on Scopus).

As an upcoming scholar; avoid submitting your valuable works to non-reputable journals. Focus more on Journals indexed in WOS, SCI, SCI-E (these gain more reputation and widely known and mostly use to grade your profile. Any journal indexed in the above databases will surely be under Scopus. But not all Scopus papers are indexed in the above. So I encourage you to go for the super-set rather than the sub-set.

ASTESJ: yes indexed in Scopus but why you want to submit your two works there? It has less low metrics, so If I were you, I will submit one of the papers to a more reputable journal in my field.

I only started my journey as a researcher in 2018 after my baccalaureate so I'm relatively new to the whole process. At the moment, I use MATLAB/Simulink, EDraw, MS Visio, and AxMath (for LaTeX editing), as my major research tools.

Those are great. Well done! As you deep more into research and practical application and real-life utilization of your work, you will come across more tools that are needed in your field.

I'm interested in starting applications for an MS in Robotics and Control Systems (or any EE/MechE program with a Robotics track) towards Fall 2021. To bolster my application, I plan to first-author and publish a paper with a journal that is indexed on Elsevier or Scopus, with a good impact factor.

Impressive, just consider journals indexed in WOS, SCI, SCI-E, they are a superset of Scopus. Almost, all Elsevier journals have great ratings, including number of Springer, Taylor & Francis and Willey Journals.

The major challenge is that I can't seem to find any good free journals to do this. So, I would love it if you could help recommend some quality journals for Robotics, Automation, 3D Printing, CAD, and Control systems.

The majority of reputable journals are free to publish. I have said it several times, I have published more than 60 reputable articles and I have never paid 1 dollar to publish a paper. I have published in Journal with an Impact factor of 14.34 (Applied Environmental Journal: Elsevier and free).

If you publish in Elsevier journals, Springer, Taylor & Francis and Willey Journals. Just select Subscription. Take note, with these publishers majority of the journal, has both subscription (Free) and open-access mode (paid). The Subscription model is FREE in reputable journals.

See attached pictures to help you navigate.

Also, none of my papers have been cited since they were published, so I was wondering if there were some tips you could give this budding researcher to get more citations and visibility.

Thank you, Prof. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Cheers.

There are a few reasons that may lead to that, which I will stress out here:

1. If you publish in non-reputable journals, many reputable scholars hardly or don't even read those type of journals. For instance, there are a number of predatory journals coming from Asian countries, I don't even bother checking the webpage talk of reading any valuable research published there. Because the majority of these publishers are just for money, not quality, lacks strict peer review enshrined by other reputable and well-known publishers.

2. If the majority of the content published does not advance science but a mere repetition of already known facts but re-written in another style. Many people don't want to cite what is well-known already unless your work advances or cover a knowledge-gap.

3. Valued information, protocols and well-written reproducible results, discussions and technical support must be seen in a paper that will warrant citations.

4. Poor Visibility: Since the majority of these low-quality journals are less visible, may not be archive by any university libraries, not registered with social media for scientific dissemination of knowledge, not found easily via a search engine. All these will cumulate to limit the visibility of your work. So you may have to share your works among colleagues, friends, should be easily archived by Google scholar, Research-Gate etc, this increases the chance of someone founding it and read it.

5. Bad or poor keywords: Search engines crawl by picking keywords in the meta-layer of the papers. Your keywords must not be too long, too general, too boring and non-captivating. For example, if you work on Robotics and you put Keyword as "robots".....when someone searches for 'Robot' if your publisher ranking is low, it means it may take ages to reach your paper.

6. Low-quality visuals: If your results are presented through low-quality images, figures and tables; many people may not trust the content.

I hope you can use all these to enhance your next papers.

Best wishes

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 11:17am On May 29, 2020
wip7:

Thank you and I appreciate.

It is a quite impressive and emerging field of EE.

As an upcoming scholar; avoid submitting your valuable works to non-reputable journals. Focus more on Journals indexed in WOS, SCI, SCI-E (these gain more reputation and widely known and mostly use to grade your profile. Any journal indexed in the above databases will surely be under Scopus. But not all Scopus papers are indexed in the above. So I encourage you to go for the super-set rather than the sub-set.

ASTESJ: yes indexed in Scopus but why you want to submit your two works there? It has less low metrics, so If I were you, I will submit one of the papers to a more reputable journal in my field.

Those are great. Well done! As you deep more into research and practical application and real-life utilization of your work, you will come across more tools that are needed in your field.

Impressive, just consider journals indexed in WOS, SCI, SCI-E, they are a superset of Scopus. Almost, all Elsevier journals have great ratings, including number of Springer, Taylor & Francis and Willey Journals.

The majority of reputable journals are free to publish. I have said it several times, I have published more than 60 reputable articles and I have never paid 1 dollar to publish a paper. I have published in Journal with an Impact factor of 14.34 (Applied Environmental Journal: Elsevier and free).

If you publish in Elsevier journals, Springer, Taylor & Francis and Willey Journals. Just select Subscription. Take note, with these publishers majority of the journal, has both subscription (Free) and open-access mode (paid). The Subscription model is FREE in reputable journals.

See attached pictures to help you navigate.

There are a few reasons that may lead to that, which I will stress out here:

1. If you publish in non-reputable journals, many reputable scholars hardly or don't even read those type of journals. For instance, there are a number of predatory journals coming from Asian countries, I don't even bother checking the webpage talk of reading any valuable research published there. Because the majority of these publishers are just for money, not quality, lacks strict peer review enshrined by other reputable and well-known publishers.

2. If the majority of the content published does not advance science but a mere repetition of already known facts but re-written in another style. Many people don't want to cite what is well-known already unless your work advances or cover a knowledge-gap.

3. Valued information, protocols and well-written reproducible results, discussions and technical support must be seen in a paper that will warrant citations.

4. Poor Visibility: Since the majority of these low-quality journals are less visible, may not be archive by any university libraries, not registered with social media for scientific dissemination of knowledge, not found easily via a search engine. All these will cumulate to limit the visibility of your work. So you may have to share your works among colleagues, friends, should be easily archived by Google scholar, Research-Gate etc, this increases the chance of someone founding it and read it.

5. Bad or poor keywords: Search engines crawl by picking keywords in the meta-layer of the papers. Your keywords must not be too long, too general, too boring and non-captivating. For example, if you work on Robotics and you put Keyword as "robots".....when someone searches for 'Robot' if your publisher ranking is low, it means it may take ages to reach your paper.

6. Low-quality visuals: If your results are presented through low-quality images, figures and tables; many people may not trust the content.

I hope you can use all these to enhance your next papers.

Best wishes
Excellent! Thank you so much for taking out time to give a very robust reply, Prof.

I can't quantify how much this means to me. I'm really grateful, Senior Scholar.

Your answers are quite elaborate and will be invaluable going forward.

I'll heed to all you have advised, to the very letter.

More feathers to your cap of academic and professional exploits, Prof.

Keep winning!

4 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by linked: 5:03pm On May 29, 2020
Epithet:

This isn't exactly any concern of mine. But, I go through a lot of Education threads, this being one of the best, and I see this repeatedly and just can't help but call it out. DO YOUR RESEARCH. If you plan to apply for a doctorate program, looking for a suitable institution is the easiest endeavor you would embark on. From then on, the slope gets steeper, assuming you get admitted into the program. Just to give you an example. I was the first African in my graduate program for God knows how long. Don't take this any way, just take responsibility for yourself. If I had your documents, I'm not bragging, In a week I would provide at least 3 fully funded programs you can apply to.

Start with the simple Google search. Streamline according to research, funding opportunities, send mails to graduate coordinators, they probably know better than anyone about specific program requirements, meet those requirements (GRE/GMAT and/or TOEFL), then apply.

Please and please and please again, prospective students, put due diligence to researching options they are a deluge of them. Gracias
Please, did you get my PM?

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 11:30am On May 30, 2020
Publication June 2020: Conversion of Toxic Gas into Valuable Hydrogen Fuel

Summary: In this research, we focus on the conversion of Hydrogen sulphide, which is an acutely corrosive, flammable and toxic gas; often discharged from natural resources. Despite its toxicity, hydrogen sulphide is considered a viable source for hydrogen and sulfur production due to its abundant availability and relatively low thermodynamic decomposition. In this work, we converted this toxic gas into valuable fuel.

Publisher: Published in the International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, June 2020

Research Team: Prof. Wip and my Graduate PhD students in Canada, Iraq and Iran.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by chem58: 1:21pm On Jun 05, 2020
Prof am A chemistry graduate with research area on environmental chemistry.mainly on environmental impact accesement of PAHs , sir I have interest in fuel cell ,sensor for my PhD....Prof can you enlighten me on how to write proposal on this research area.i have no foundation on it and ave not work on it before.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by chem58: 1:25pm On Jun 05, 2020
Which area are to yet to be explore on fuel cell and sensor(semiconductor material)..prof wip7 and every other scolar in this forum
Re: Thread For PHD Students by chem58: 1:29pm On Jun 05, 2020
Which area are to yet to be explore on fuel cell and sensor(semiconductor material)..prof wip7 and every other scolar in this forum
Re: Thread For PHD Students by chem58: 2:22pm On Jun 05, 2020
The research profile of intending professor is on Gas sensor (semiconducting material for gas detection), PEM fuel cells, lithium-sulfur battery, metal-air battery, photocatalysis-water splitting..
Re: Thread For PHD Students by olabiyisi(m): 3:02pm On Jun 05, 2020
Follow us for lattest school and education news [url]9jaschoolnews.com.ng[/url]

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by pretyval: 4:17pm On Jun 05, 2020
I made this appeal in 2017 and yet more kids are on the street...

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 2:10pm On Jun 07, 2020
chem58:
Prof am A chemistry graduate with research area on environmental chemistry.mainly on environmental impact accesement of PAHs , sir I have interest in fuel cell ,sensor for my PhD....Prof can you enlighten me on how to write proposal on this research area.i have no foundation on it and ave not work on it before.

Kindly read many of my posts backwards, you will see how to write a PhD/MSC proposal. If you are very interested in Sensor related research, then you have to first ensure your chosen university has the equipment or willing to invest in equipment for sensor-related work.

Read on ScienceDirect recent published papers on Electrochemical-based and biosensors. You will need to have sound knowledge of electrochemistry to make a good sense of sensor-related research works.

Best wishes!

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.