Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,923 members, 7,866,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 06:48 PM

Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) - Poems For Review (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) (72302 Views)

NPC End Of The Year Thanksgiving Cypher. / NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / 6 Memorable Poetry Collections By Nairaland Poets For 2014 - NPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 23, 2014
Phew! I've missed class boku. embarassed
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 6:50pm On Dec 23, 2014
FrancisTony:

Where's my cane? angry cheesy
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 23, 2014
texanomaly:

Where's my cane? angry cheesy
I'm sorry.

Many things failed me. cry
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by texanomaly(f): 7:09pm On Dec 23, 2014
FrancisTony:

I'm sorry.

Many things failed me. cry
Ok this time. smiley

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 23, 2014
FrancisTony:
lazy student tongue
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by herald9: 8:34pm On Dec 23, 2014
Hello Sir Laykorn smiley
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 23, 2014
Elantracey:
lazy student tongue
Chai! If I narrate wetin happen to me, eh; You go pity me. cry
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Buqqui: 9:02pm On Dec 23, 2014

Enters quietly,so that Laykorn won't
see me and call me to sit in the front.

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 23, 2014
FrancisTony:

Chai! If I narrate wetin happen to me, eh; You go pity me. cry
ehya do, narrate am now, you know say i like tori well well
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 23, 2014
Revision:

Hi, We are laykorn and donifez. Your teachers for tonight.

Tonight we're starting with a brief revision of what has been taught for the past 3 classes.

For the first class, laykorn and his co-teacher explained what poetry is to the class and how it different from prose.

For the second class, leki10 introduced us to different types of poetry.

For the third class, texanomaly and EverestDeBliu talked to us about the importance of sounds in poetry and devices with which a sound work could be done.

Today, I and donifez's two topics are:

1) How to write your poem in free verse - laykorn
2)Short note on punctuation in free verse - donifez.

Welcome to the class. For all those sitting on the back benches, please move forward a bit. Anyone who sleeps in class will be thrown out. Thanks
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 23, 2014
You wont throw anyone out I know kiss
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 23, 2014
Last week, I promised to start my class today on free verse.
Although I noticed that many of the students have written poems in free verse, that won't stop me from going on with the class.

This class will make those who have written it better at it and for those who haven't tried free verse, I hope this class makes them try it.

Writing in free verse is the easiest. It is wonderful and non-restrictive.

It has no specific rules. You don't have to worry about rhyming like it is in a sonnet or rhythm like it is in a haiku or beginnings like in acrostics.

To have a good poem in free verse, follow these three steps.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 23, 2014
[b]1) Think of a nice topic:

What I'm trying to say here is that before you even try to write a poem in free verse, have a clear idea of what you want to do. Have a topic you want to write about. This applies to all styles of poetry too and all forms.

Remember, your free verse poem can be about anything. Your poem doesn't always have to be about popular themes like love or the sun or the moon or freedom, although these are always great themes to write about.

If you can't think about something to write about now, these are a few ideas for your free verse.

Rain, snow, or a storm
An animal you think is beautiful or strange
Your parents or children
How a kiss feels
The house where you were born
A smell that brings back memories
Being a teenager, becoming an adult, middle age, old
The moon
Getting lost
Marriage or divorce
An imaginary friend
Life in the future
The hottest, coldest, or most exhausted you have
ever felt
Having a fever
A new version of a fairy-tale
The shapes you see in clouds[/b]
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Samguine: 9:18pm On Dec 23, 2014
Enters class in a Bugatti cheesy
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 23, 2014
Elantracey:
ehya do, narrate am now, you know say i like tori well well
On my diary.

Later.... grin
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:20pm On Dec 23, 2014
Any questions on that?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:25pm On Dec 23, 2014
[b]Step 2: Think of keywords and idea words. Make a word-list:
Imagine your topic was 'waterfall'. The words that probably came to your mind are: waterfall, stream, flow, wind, rush, peace, awe, crashing, countryside.

Your keyword list doesn't mean that those are the only words that will be in your poem. It doesn't even mean that everyone of the words will be in your poem. It is simply a word bank you can take from as you write on.

Imagine your topic was on a murder story these are the words that probably came to your mind are: assassin, blood, wicked, murder, killed, killer, killing, bloody, death, destruction, nigger, crime, distort, anger, disfigure, gun, bullet, good, bad, shoot, shot, night, bar, drunk, pain, guilty, gory, suspect, avenge, revenge and the list goes on.

You should add some phrases to your list too. Phrases form a vital ingredient in poem.

Eg: a minute before nine, sound of the gun, black pistol in hand. Put to death. Etc

If you have a sufficient word list, its always rare to get stuck at the middle of a poem because of lack of words.
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by babym7681(f): 9:27pm On Dec 23, 2014
hi class...sorry i came late
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 23, 2014
Teacher laykorn have i been expelled ? embarassed
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 23, 2014
[b]3) Start constructing your poem:

A great thing about free verse poems is that you do not need to worry about rhyming (like in many styles), metre (like in a haiku) or beginnings (like in acrostics), there is no structure to it; but all the while it is important that your poem has a natural flow to it.

Topic : Waterfall
Keywords : waterfall, stream, flow, wind, rush, peace, awe, crashing, countryside, beauty

Start:
"The gushing voice entertains me, the splendid voice.
The rush of the waterfall fills me with awe
And a great beauty I will always remember.

NB: This could serve as a stanza of the poem in free verse. This could even stand as a short poem in free verse since it delivers an idea, a complete idea then it could be a complete poem.

Imagine we wanted to use these first three lines as a stanza, this is how we could add to it.

Stanza 1:
"The gushing voice entertains me, the splendid voice.
The rush of the waterfall fills me with awe
And a great beauty I will always remember

Stanza 2:

For stanza 2, you can do a deeper description of the waterfall. Its sight, sounds feel.

You can ask questions about it, wonder who created it.

You can wish for a night with your lover beside it.

You can liken your hope for a peaceful world with it.

It could be in 3 lines too, and it could be longer.

It could be shorter too.

Remember it is free verse.

[The above could be a poem in free verse too]

Example 2
Topic: Murder Story
Keywords: assassin, blood, wicked, murder, killed, killer, killing, bloody, death, destruction, nigger, crime, distort, anger, disfigure, gun, bullet, good, bad, shoot, shot, night, bar, drunk, pain, guilty, gory, suspect, avenge, revenge, hard, voice, dark, alley, vulnerable, night, dread, dream, reality, pistol, lastday

Start:
Stanza 1

[Vulnerable in the dark alley, at nine in the night.
Eve heard another hard voice behind her.
She tried to imagine it was a dream just, she'd wake up.
But the assassin's blow, to the middle of her fore head, jerked her out of the dream.
And brought her to reality.
A dangerous reality, the pistol stared at her, with eagerness to make her birthday her lastday.]

We can let this be a short poem since it conveys a complete idea. We can also make it one stanza. We can add to it.

We can describe more how the scene looked like.

We can say if she was killed or not.

We can talk about the reason a gun was pointed at her.

We can say a thousand and one things in the next stanza.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 23, 2014
Tips: In our next class, I and Donifez will start lessons on poetry devices. They make your free verse look like something your best poet wrote.

But for now, with these you can write a perfect free verse. Remember to try many stanzaic arrangements for your free verse and see which one looks most organised and beautiful to you.

Remember to real your poem aloud too, maybe to a friend. It helps fish out grammatical mistakes. Remember to watch your grammar too.

Donifez will say a short introduction note on how to punctuate your free verse.

Any questions before the today's assignments?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:37pm On Dec 23, 2014
Hi all,
As you all know am the surrogate of laykorn in this class.
Am so humbled been in your presence today, because what i see here are not just students but great poets that will rock the literary world.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by babym7681(f): 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2014
pls what's the difference between free verse,run on line,enjambment and blank verse:
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by lepasharon(f): 9:42pm On Dec 23, 2014
Hang on has the class started already?!..maybe cos im in the UK so I am an hour behind?
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:45pm On Dec 23, 2014
Robert frost described freestyle as 'playing table tennis without net

Your poem is unique and a reflection of you.

Our lives don't follow flawless pattern and your poetry don't have to either
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by harrysterol(m): 9:45pm On Dec 23, 2014
Samguine:
Enters class in a Bugatti cheesy
please park well, your blocking my Lamborghini from entering cool
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:47pm On Dec 23, 2014
babym7681:
pls what's the difference between free verse,run on line,enjambment and blank verse:
Free verse as laykorn said before is a poem without rythm or structure but punctuation should be used to show pauses and brakes for a better understanding of the poem.

1 Like

Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:50pm On Dec 23, 2014
A line is defined as a row of words
Run on line is a line of poetry in which the punctuation is not contained within the line, and the line breaks without been punctuated.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by donifez(m): 9:53pm On Dec 23, 2014
Enjabment is like a car that has failed its brake, it is the continuation of a sentence,without pausing or stopping even after the end of aline,couplet or stanza.
Re: Poetry Classes For Beginners - NPC (Signup Thread) by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 23, 2014
Your assignment for today is to create one or more stanzas as addition to the poems I used as examples in my 4th post.

Tag the teachers if you need help with your assignments.

They are
texanomaly, laykorn, donifez, leki10, EverestDeBliu, OMA4U and Krystalxxx

Till next tuesday, I am laykorn and my partner is donifez.
We remain humble cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (61) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.