Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,195 members, 7,829,280 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House (1562 Views)

Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign / What Could Tinubu Be Smoking? (photo) / Seun Kuti Blasts Jounalist For Twisting His Words, Says He Won't Vote Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by smile4kenn(m): 5:58am On Dec 08, 2008
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – US. President-elect Barack Obama failed to give a straight answer when asked on a US. talkshow on Sunday whether he had managed to quit smoking.

In a country where cigarettes are responsible for one in five deaths and smoking costs tens of billions of dollars in health care, Obama has been under pressure to set an example by giving up his reported two-decade-old habit.

Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" program, interviewer Tom Brokaw told Obama he had ducked answering the question during an interview last month with ABC's Barbara Walters.

Noting that the White House was a no-smoking zone, Brokaw asked Obama, "Have you stopped smoking?"

"I have," Obama replied, smiling broadly. "What I said was that there are times where I have fallen off the wagon."

"Wait a minute," Brokaw interjected, "that means you haven't stopped."

"Fair enough," Obama said. "What I would say is that I have done a terrific job under the circumstances of making myself much healthier. You will not see any violations of these rules in the White House."

Obama was often observed on the presidential campaign trail chewing Nicorette gum, which helps ease the craving for nicotine. He has tried several times to quit.

The 47-year-old president-elect, who takes office on January 20, works out daily at the gym and sometimes plays basketball. His doctor said in May he was in excellent health, often jogged 3 miles a day and was fit to serve as US. president.

Website www.cigaraficionado.com says Gerald Ford, who served from 1974-77, was the last US. president to use tobacco on a regular basis. The White House no-smoking rule was imposed by former First Lady Hillary Clinton, now Obama's nominee for secretary of state.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081207/pl_nm/us_usa_obama_smoking_3

Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by Jakumo(m): 6:16am On Dec 08, 2008
If there is one flaw in Obama's character, then it would have to be his smoking habit. He needs to transition to chewing-gum so as to kick the habit fast, before political rivals use the smoking issue as the basis for depicting the new president as a bad example to youth, since, other than JFK's penchant for a very occasional cigar back in the day, NO known smoker has ever occupied the White House Oval Office.
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by KarmaMod(f): 6:20am On Dec 08, 2008
what does he smoke sef?

Hope it's not NewPorts
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by Jakumo(m): 6:30am On Dec 08, 2008
Whatever it is I know Bill Clinton has taught Obama how not to inhale.
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by vowiski(m): 6:37am On Dec 08, 2008
funny, how Nigerians seems to be more concerned about America than theirs.
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by Nobody: 6:55am On Dec 08, 2008
Jakumo:

Whatever it is I know Bill Clinton has taught Obama how not to inhale.

KarmaMod:

what does he smoke sef?

Hope it's not NewPorts
Lol! Then he's doom. . . .

vowiski:

funny, how Nigerians seems to be more concerned about America than theirs.
Must we continue to talk about Nigeria? We all know itz same story over and over, becomes quite boring. If it's not corruption today, then it's tribalism tomorrow or EFCC the day after.

@post
So where will he be smoking? undecided
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by Jakumo(m): 6:56am On Dec 08, 2008
And I'll smoke to that.  Amen
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by Nobody: 7:03am On Dec 08, 2008
Jakumo:

And I'll smoke to that. Amen
to what?

Or do you just want an excuse to open that NewPort? grin grin
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by vowiski(m): 7:54am On Dec 08, 2008
Obama is just words.
period.
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 08, 2008
vowiski:

Obama is just words.
period.

So, what are you going to do about it, recall the election?
Better concentrate on your own president that smokes 3 packets of Three Rings everyday with enough gworo from erin-ijesha. tongue
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by kosovo(m): 8:15am On Dec 08, 2008
nuzo:

Better concentrate on your own president that smokes 3 packets of Three Rings everyday with enough gworo from erin-ijesha. tongue
lol.
i ll advice no body to concentrate on our president.
otherwise doom! may not be too far.

but get one thing.
obama has admited that the economy will get worse in his tenure before its gets better, contrary to his campaign talks.
m just me. and no one else.
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by sexyLeamon(f): 9:24am On Dec 08, 2008
Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House

wow I never knew he smokes shocked shocked
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by Jakumo(m): 11:10am On Dec 08, 2008
We shouldn't get overly concerned about the brand of cigarette Obama smokes, provided it is not the conical Bob Marley-type spliff he has to roll on the Oval Office desk before firing up, otherwise a whole new meaning will become associated with the term "High Office".
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by Muza(m): 12:45pm On Dec 08, 2008
uhh,the guy smoke cheap aspen grin
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by asha80(m): 12:47pm On Dec 08, 2008
[b]Better concentrate on your own president that smokes 3 packets of Three Rings everyday with enough gworo from erin-ijesha. [/[/b]quo

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by santavista: 1:09pm On Dec 08, 2008
, Obams, nothin do u.
kp d smoke up man. kini big deal?
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by banom(m): 1:27pm On Dec 08, 2008
oh thats obama my man, smoke on men, do you as well care for igbo ?
Re: Obama Says He Won't Be Smoking In White House by dayokanu(m): 9:33pm On Dec 08, 2008
Barack is my role model MaybeI should pick up smoking too. Nothing do me because I dey smoke

(1) (Reply)

The Uk Barclays Bank Is Turning Ghana Into Africa's Money Laundering Haven / Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! / Which Way Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.