Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! (1564 Views)

Obiano Sacks Aide Over Jonathan’s Re-Election Jingle / Ajimobi's Daughters Stun At Dad's Re-election Campaign- Photos / Dickson Bans Activities Of Group Supporting Jonathan Re-election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by walata44(m): 7:02pm On Jun 13, 2009
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8098896.stm

Ahmadinejad re-election sparks Iran clashes 
Opposition supporters protest in Tehran

Thousands of angry protesters have clashed with police after President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was declared the winner of Iran's presidential poll.

Secret police have been attacked, while riot police used batons and tear gas against backers of Mir Hossein Mousavi, who called the results a "charade".

Correspondents say the violence is the worst seen in Tehran in a decade.

In a televised address to the nation, Mr Ahmadinejad thanked voters for giving him a "great victory".

He said the people of Iran wanted justice, development and for their country's name to be respected.

The official results gave Mr Ahmadinejad 63% of the vote against just 34% for Mr Mousavi.

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei praised the high turnout of 85%, described the count as a "real celebration" and called for calm.

John Simpson
Reporting from Tehran
A crowd of about 3,000 attacked the police, some of whom were on motorbikes, which they set on fire.

The sky was thick with black smoke. Police attacked the crowd with sticks and maybe teargas.

I didn't expect to see people turning on the secret police. We were filming when we were surrounded by angry secret policemen. The crowd turned on them and chased them off.

I suspect we are not looking at a revolution but there is serious anger.

It all depends on how the government responds - if they use violence, that could inflame the situation.

In quotes: Reaction to result

"Enemies may want to spoil the sweetness of this event,  with some kind of ill-intentioned provocations," the ayatollah said.

Mr Mousavi has also claimed victory, as his supporters said the election had been stolen and vowed to appeal for a re-run.

But observers say this would have little chance of success.

Some of the protesters in Tehran wore Mr Mousavi's campaign colour of green and chanted "Down with the dictator", news agencies report.

Four police motorbikes were set on fire near the interior ministry, where votes had been counted, the BBC's John Simpson in Tehran says.

Interior Minister Sadeq Mahsouli warned that any demonstrations needed official permission, and none had been given.

One opposition newspaper has been closed down and BBC websites also appear to have been blocked by the Iranian authorities.

Mr Mousavi was hoping to prevent Mr Ahmadinejad winning more than 50% of the vote, in order to force a run-off election.

Danger of 'tyranny'

Mr Mousavi, a former prime minister, dismissed the election result as deeply flawed.

"I personally strongly protest the many obvious violations and I'm warning I will not surrender to this dangerous charade," the Reuters news agency reported him as saying.

IRANIAN ELECTION

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: 62.6%
Mir Hossein Mousavi: 33.8%
Mohsen Rezai: 1.7%
Mehdi Karroubi 0.9%
Turnout: 85%
Source: Interior ministry

"The result of such performance by some officials will jeopardise the pillars of the Islamic Republic and will establish tyranny."

Mr Mousavi had said there was a shortage of ballot papers and alleged that millions of people had been denied the right to vote.

His election monitors were not allowed enough access to polling stations, he added.

The head of the Committee to Protect the People's Votes, a group set up by all three opposition candidates, said the group would not accept the result, alleging fraud.

They have asked Iran's Guardian Council - a powerful body controlled by conservative clerics - to cancel the results and re-run the elections. A second opposition candidate, Mehdi Karroubi, declared the results "illegitimate and unacceptable".

The BBC's Jon Leyne in Tehran says the result has been greeted with surprise and with deep scepticism by many Iranians.

The figures, if they are to be believed, show Mr Ahmadinejad winning strongly even in the heartland of Mr Mousavi.

The scale of Mr Ahmadinejad's win means that many people who voted for a reformist candidate in the previous presidential election four years ago have apparently switched their votes to Mr Ahmadinejad, he adds.

However, the president does enjoy the support of many of the urban poor and rural dwellers.

"I am happy that my candidate has won - he helps the poor and he catches the thieves," sandwich seller Kamra Mohammadi, 22, told the AFP news agency.

Mr Mousavi gains much of his support from the middle classes and the educated urban population.

Surge of interest

BBC Iranian affairs analyst Sadeq Saba says the result means that hope for peaceful reform in Iran may die for a long time.

There had been a surge of interest in Iran's presidential election, with unprecedented live television debates between the candidates and rallies attended by thousands.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's supporters have been celebrating the result
There were long queues at polling stations, with turnout reaching 85%.

Four candidates contested the election, with Mohsen Razai and Mehdi Karroubi only registering about 1% of the vote each.

Iran is ruled under a system known as Velayat-e Faqih, or "Rule by the Supreme Jurist", who is currently Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

It was adopted by an overwhelming majority in 1979 following the Islamic revolution which overthrew the autocratic Western-backed Shah.

But the constitution also stipulates that the people are the source of power and the country holds phased presidential and parliamentary elections every four years.

All candidates are vetted by the powerful conservative-controlled Guardian Council, which also has the power to veto legislation it deems inconsistent
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jun 13, 2009
"Your people will judge you by what you build not what you seek to destroy" ------ Obama Jan 20 2009.

Iranians are tired of Ahmedinajad, I am against America is no longer good enough.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by MrCrackles(m): 8:07pm On Jun 13, 2009
Me thinks the election was a total charade!
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by tunku(m): 8:57pm On Jun 13, 2009
Wow if that is what the results of a landslide victory looks like what happens if Iamadinnerjacket had squeezed through. shocked Unbelievable.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by udezue(m): 11:44pm On Jun 13, 2009
I don't blame them.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jun 13, 2009
[size=18pt]officially the biggest election thief in the world[/size]
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by vigasimple(m): 12:44am On Jun 14, 2009
I think YAR A'CLUELESS is going to send delegation to IRAN to be given training on ELECTION FRAUD TRAINING, they will be called Islamic scholars going to study Holy Quran on a lesser Hajj via Tehran.

The Iranian election was the most blatant election fraud in history. When you have a surge in any election of that magnitude it is usually for the opposition. 85% turnout with a largely youthful electorate who are looking forward to change.

62% for Ahmednijad gave the game away, a 50.5 to 49.5 may even be consider a small election rigging, but a 62/33 is a master of all Fraud.

There are about 49million eligible voter with 39million voting, and majority are in the urban center that supports the opposition.

I think the Religious leaders (khameni) prefer Ahmadjinad because they are bent on building nuclear weapon to lead the Region, threaten Isreal and other Arab countries. They simply want to build Nuclear weapon. That is why the Election was RIGGED massively.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by TOYOSI20(f): 12:47am On Jun 14, 2009
Whaaattttttttttttt?? shocked shocked
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by strangleyo: 1:14am On Jun 14, 2009
Nairan
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by walata44(m): 10:05am On Jun 14, 2009
Nigerians should start mobilising themselves against PDP rigging machine against 2011.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by otokx(m): 10:19am On Jun 14, 2009
They are learning from the Nigerian situation where its 95% to 5% in favour of PDP
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by vigasimple(m): 8:14pm On Jun 14, 2009
It is becoming apparent that the IRANIAN ELECTION is what can be termed REVERSE RESULT SYSTEM = RRS

Iamdinnerjacket = 33% now 62%

Mosavi = 62% now 33%

YAR A'LIAR Systems is VOTE LOADING which is for example in EKITI STATE

Take IFAKI votes PDP = 15,000 AC = 0

Then PDP wait to see how much votes they need before 'VOTE WRITING' BALLOT PAPERS at the POLICE STATION and just earn more than your opponent. voila, election is won by PDP

RIGGERS AND THIEVES WILL NOT CHANGE UNLESS THEY ARE PUSHED
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by MrCrackles(m): 8:16pm On Jun 14, 2009
walata44:

Nigerians should start mobilising themselves against PDP rigging machine against 2011.

Will you lead?
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by walata44(m): 8:55pm On Jun 14, 2009
Will you lead?

Why not? check my signature.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by walata44(m): 11:26am On Jun 15, 2009
walata do you have a heart

I have got a lion heart if you dont know, all we need mobilising the populace when the time comes. Its time to take back our country from the stealing elite.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by bashali: 12:30am On Jun 16, 2009
so he did not win
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by IGWEUSA(m): 1:19am On Jun 16, 2009
becoomrich:

nigeria next

Becomrich, so you have appeared again, eeh shocked
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by Nobody: 1:32am On Jun 16, 2009
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by Nobody: 1:33am On Jun 16, 2009
why are chicks so hot in Iran

goshhhhh I wanna marry an Iranian
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by IGWEUSA(m): 1:41am On Jun 16, 2009
mikeansy:

I even thought that I was the only one that noticed their hotness, lol
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by Naijex: 2:03am On Jun 16, 2009
walata44:

Walata just suggested a good move and we need to take this move seriously and each and every one of us that is fed up of our corrupt leaders should support the move to take our country back. That is why we need to start mobilizing now before the politicians start spending money on thugs, we need to enlighten and educated the masses and the thugs of our rights. Nigeria belong to the people. Most of the thugs are suffering now, so it will be a good idea to start talking to the masses now.
Guys, please let's get involve in this 2011 election process.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by cold(m): 2:07am On Jun 16, 2009
mikeansy:

I concur
abt the nigerian revolution,all we need are suicide bombers,i'l volunteer cool
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by MrCrackles(m): 9:59am On Jun 16, 2009
Another twist to the state of events in Iran
Election officials claimed results announced were provisional
Reports emanating out of Iran claims a recount of votes is being planned
I guess Almadinejad and his supporters are rattled and shocked by the level of protests/unrest! grin
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by walata44(m): 1:44pm On Jun 16, 2009
Another twist to the state of events in Iran
Election officials claimed results announced were provisional
Reports emanating out of Iran claims a recount of votes is being planned
I guess the Almadinejad and his supporters are rattled and shocked by the level of protests/unrest!

That is what people power can achieve, Nigerian needs to wake up from their slumber now! internet has already librate us from the government propaganda machine.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by Fhemmmy: 2:02pm On Jun 16, 2009
mikeansy:

[size=18pt]officially the biggest election thief in the world[/size]

I dont think it is bigger than what PDP has been doing in Nigeria.
We are here critisizing another country's election, meanwhile, Nigeria is dying in the hands of the Nigerian "Ahmadinejad" in Aso rock.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by biolabee(m): 11:11am On Jun 21, 2009
The Islamic Republic has cracked down on protesters. There are 10 confirmed deaths from the state media who has branded the event as a faceoff between government and 'terrorist groups'

Iran's parliament speaker criticizes election authority
Story Highlights
Iran's speaker claims members of election body sided with certain candidate

Whispers of election fraud persist amid violent street protests in Tehran

Iran's Foreign Minister, Supreme Leader maintain Ahmadinejad won fair election

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- Iran's influential parliamentary speaker Ali Larijani implied Saturday that the election authority sided with a certain candidate as thousands of defiant anti-government protesters once again swept into the streets of the capital.

A stream of videos posted on social networking Web sites depicted tense scenes and chaos -- sounds of gunshots, images of helicopters whirring overhead and wounded men and women being carried away.

The extent of deaths or injuries remained unclear. The Ministry of Culture on Saturday banned international media from reporting on the demonstrations unless they had received permission from Iranian authorities.

Sources at one Tehran hospital confirmed 19 deaths in seven days of post-election protests.

"Although the Guardian Council is made up of religious individuals, I wish certain members would not side with a certain presidential candidate," Larijani told the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) on Saturday, without naming whom he meant.

The comments were reported on government-funded Press TV and on another news Web site, Khabaronline, Sunday.

Followers of opposition leader Mir Hossein Moussavi have alleged that the council, which approves all candidates running for office and verifies election results, declared hard-line incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad the winner of the elections despite indications of ballot fraud.

Larijani's statement was in direct contrast to that of Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki, who considers the possibility of ballot irregularities in the presidential elections as almost nonexistant.

"The possibility of organized and comprehensive disruption and irregularities in this election is almost close to zero given the composition of the people who are holding the election," he told foreign diplomats on Sunday.

Mottaki blamed Britain for interfering in the elections, saying it had been planning against the vote for more than a year.

"We witnessed an influx of people from the U.K. ahead of the election," he said, without offering specifics.

Mottaki accused Britain of supporting followers of the Baha'i faith, a religion that originated in 19th-century Persia but which Iran does not recognize.

He also said the West expects a different model of democracy from developing countries.

"Our understanding of election rules is that one who secures the majority of the votes wins," he said. "Regarding developing countries, will democracy assume a new definition in developing countries?"

In a sermon Friday, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei declared the elections a "definitive victory" for Ahmadinejad and rejected charges of vote-rigging.

"A majority of people are of an opinion separate" from that of a minority, Larijani said.

While Larijani and Ahmadinejad have had a tense relationship in the past, he is seen as being aligned with Khamenei.

For him to directly contradict the leader's statement amounts to another example of the public airing of rift among ruling conservatives.

Earlier last week, Larijani blamed the Interior Ministry for a bloody crackdown on civilians who have protested daily since the elections. The Interior Ministry is aligned with Ahmadinejad. Watch how unrest in Iran turned violent »

Larijani, who once headed the television station, asked it to tone down the rhetoric and called on the Guardian Council to look into the protester's allegations thoroughly.

Saturday's protests were in stark contrast to those earlier in the week when millions of Moussavi supporters marched in silence, New York Times columnist Roger Cohen told CNN.

Cohen said he witnessed women beaten with sticks and truncheons "staggering off the main street clutching their faces."

"I saw a young man who had been hit with what he said was a baton with an electricity shock," he said. iReport.com: Share images from Iran

One woman, Shahnaz, said riot police used batons and water hoses to keep her and about 300 other people from reaching Revolution Square in central Tehran.

CNN is identifying Shahnaz only by her first name for safety reasons.

Saturday's protests were held in open defiance of warnings issued by Khamenei and the country's Security Council. Both had said protest organizers, specifically Moussavi, would be held accountable if the protests led to bloodshed.

Moussavi seemed to be encouraging demonstrators to continue their protests with messages posted on his page on Facebook, the social networking Web site that has proven to be a key source of information in the absence of international media coverage. Watch how social networking Web sites spread word on Iran news »

"Today you are the media," said one message. "It is your duty to report and keep the hope alive."

Earlier on Saturday, Moussavi declared on Facebook that he was ready for "martyrdom." That message urged his supporters to "protest" and "not go to work."

CNN could not determine the authenticity of the messages.

As they have done all week, videos -- many taken with cell phone cameras by people on the streets-- told the story Saturday. See images of the clashes Saturday »

One captured a woman trying to protect a man being beaten and kicked by protesters near a motorcycle in flames.

Others showed that the unrest had spread beyond the capital to the cities of Isfahan and Shiraz, where police clad in riot gear dispersed a crowd at a university, beating screaming women with their batons.

In a story posted on the Press TV Web site, Iran's deputy police commander said 400 police personnel had been wounded since the opposition rallies began last weekend.

Demonstrators gathered in major cities in France, the United States and Germany to condemn Iran's crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Tehran.

In Washington, U.S. President Barack Obama urged the Iranian government to stop the violence against its citizens.

"The Iranian government must understand that the world is watching," Obama said in a written statement. "We call on the Iranian government to stop all violent and unjust actions against its own people."

On Saturday night, the Iranian state-run news agency IRINN said an attacker had been killed earlier in the day outside Tehran at the entrance to the mausoleum that holds the body of Ayatollah Khomeini. The agency said the man "carrying the bomb" was killed, and there were no other casualties.

Press TV reported that the bomber was the sole fatality, and that three other people were wounded at the shrine to Khomeini, the father of the Islamic Revolution that swept the Shah of Iran from power in 1979. Khomeini is regarded as the founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

In a related development, a witness reported a fire near the French Embassy, apparently caused by nearby debris that had been set ablaze.

Meanwhile, the Iranian government said Saturday it is ready to randomly recount up to 10 percent of "ballot boxes."

The Guardian Council said it had received more than 600 complaints of irregularities from the three candidates.

All AboutAyatollah Ali Khamenei • Iran • Mahmoud Ahmadinejad • Mir Hossein Moussavi

Links referenced within this article

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/mahmoud_ahmadinejad
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/ayatollah_ali_khamenei
Watch how unrest in Iran turned violent »
#cnnSTCVideo
iReport.com: Share images from Iran
http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?topicId=270440
Watch how social networking Web sites spread word on Iran news »
#cnnSTCVideo
See images of the clashes Saturday »
#cnnSTCPhoto
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Ayatollah_Ali_Khamenei
Iran
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Iran
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Mahmoud_Ahmadinejad
Mir Hossein Moussavi
http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/Mir_Hossein_Moussavi

Find this article at:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/21/iran.election/index.html

Find the picture a young girl killed by a sniper rifle

Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by biolabee(m): 11:15am On Jun 21, 2009
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 21, 2009
walata44:

I have got a lion heart if you dont know, all we need mobilising the populace when the time comes. Its time to take back our country from the stealing elite.

where? in 9ja.

a 9ja man that sees a dog on the road and starts running for dear life.

it can never happen here cuz they're all sissies. you need men for such action.

a 9ja man is only brave when he crosses the street with out looking left or right.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by Nobody: 11:23am On Jun 21, 2009
the day such happens in 9ja, then be can be hopeful of good things to come, cuz they've chosen the right path. until then, sorry for 9ja.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by walata44(m): 11:37am On Jun 21, 2009
where? in 9ja.

a 9ja man that sees a dog on the road and starts running for dear life.

it can never happen here cuz they're all sissies. you need men for such action.

a 9ja man is only brave when he crosses the street with out looking left or right.

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion"
Albert Campus
French Novelist
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by Abuzola(m): 1:07pm On Jun 21, 2009
Ahmadinejad won democratically so let the united states and european union stop their unnecessary fuss, if it was a military takeover we would have been hearing condemnation all over the world. Islamic republic of Iran must not be deterred.
Re: Video: Ahmadinejad Re-election Sparks Iran Clashes: Yaradua Watch 2011! by Kobojunkie: 1:18pm On Jun 21, 2009
So the united states is responsible for the riots within iran over this election?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Exposed: How Police Officers Aids Corruption, Robbery In Edo Police Command / Finally, I Now Own Niara Land --> Usd10m Deal / The Myth That You Have To Be Corrupt To Get Ahead In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.