Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,309 members, 7,811,917 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign (38445 Views)

How My Quarrel With Kwankwaso Started, Why He Won't Be President - Ganduje / Thieves Stole My N12Million Cash, Saraki Says - Premium Times / Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Under Pressure After Leak - Newsweek International (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Ezeanochie(m): 6:55pm On Apr 08, 2016
Embattled Senate President Bukola Saraki on friday said he would not yield to growing calls from Nigerians that he should step down amid growing corruption scandals.

Mr. Saraki said those calling for his resignation were being sponsored by politicians who had always opposed his leadership since he emerged Senate President last June, He added that his detractors were trying to circumvent the country’s judicial system.
Mr. Saraki was responding to a story published by PREMIUM TIMES earlier today, in which the Transition Monitoring Group lend its voice to a growing call for the Senate President’s ouster.
In a text message sent to our reporter by his Special Adviser on Media, Yusuph Olaniyonu, Mr. Saraki said he was not contemplating resignation.

“There’s a case in the Tribunal and a resultant appeal at the Court of Appeal,” the statement said. “The underlining philosophy of our legal system is that an accused person is presumed innocent until found guilty.”

“Those who are contemplating calls for resignation want to circumvent the judicial system. They are obviously being sponsored by some politicians.
“The Senate President is not contemplating any resignation. He will surely have his day in court.”
Foramfera
Since Mr. Saraki was arraigned by the Code of Conduct Tribunal and the PREMIUM TIMES expose about his secret offshore assets in tax havens, the calls for him to step down has continued to mount.
On Thursday, several activists and other Nigerians openly called on the Senate President to resign. They were joined today by the TMG.

PREMIUM TIMES had reported on Monday that Mr. Saraki failed to disclose four assets found to be in his wife’s name offshore, in violation of Nigeria’s code of conduct law.

That revelation came to light following the leak of a trove of internal data from the Panama-based offshore-provider, Mossack Fonseca, obtained by the German newspaper, Süddeutsche Zeitung, and shared by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) with PREMIUM TIMES and over 100 other media partners in 82 countries.

In his response to that publication, Mr. Saraki said the controversial assets belonged to the estate of his wife’s rich and famous family, and that the law did not mandate him to declare such a category of assets.
But PREMIUM TIMES later found that the assets neither belong to Toyin, his wife, nor to her family’s estate. They are clearly Mr. Saraki’s.

According to the new documents retrieved by PREMIUM TIMES from the massive Mossack Fonseca database, the assets in Toyin’s name are actually held in trust for Mr. Saraki, Nigeria’s third most powerful official.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/201462-panamapapers-i-wont-resign-senate-president-bukola-saraki-says.html

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by EverestdeBliu(m): 6:58pm On Apr 08, 2016
Not when you've finally been indicted.
The US senate is been controlled by the opposition(Republicans).
The Nigerian senate should be manned by the Opposition(PDP)
Benefits:
1. Having the opposition control the legislature,will keep the executive ruling party on their toes. They'll strive to be even more efficient,accountable and swift in the implementation of working policies.
2. It strengthens true Democracy and competition.
#SupportEkweremadu

153 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by tomakint: 7:01pm On Apr 08, 2016
Oya accursed soul let's go there......I swear nobody go beg you to resign if that seat na Emirate you go tell us very soon. Imagine this shameless rogue with his flagrant display of effrontery before the public glare. Animal buruku....

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Ezeanochie(m): 7:05pm On Apr 08, 2016
Then prepare to be trashed out of there

Shameless thief

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 08, 2016

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by ojun50(m): 7:08pm On Apr 08, 2016
Pls don't resign oh, because u still need to pass d seat to yr son. Wara sp

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Fmartin(m): 7:10pm On Apr 08, 2016
Who cares
Time shall tell
Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by mackhunter77: 7:10pm On Apr 08, 2016
ONLY YOU DEY CCT AND PANAMA PAPERS TOO....LIKE I ALWAYS SAY...SHAME NO DEY NAIJA RARARA

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by yarimo(m): 7:12pm On Apr 08, 2016
Some time I wish am close to saraki when is saying this kind of statement the kind slap I go give him, him go no say prison is the right place for him than the Senate chamber

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Inspectahdeck(m): 7:13pm On Apr 08, 2016
Then he should die there, since the senate president seat/position is owned by his father.

I just tire self hmmm

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Amitex(m): 7:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
I predict that Saraki and his senators would fight back soon. Expect an impeachment notice to the president in the coming weeks. Remember, I said this on this forum!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Pheals(f): 7:22pm On Apr 08, 2016

he prefer to be yeye grin

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by divinehand2003(m): 7:23pm On Apr 08, 2016
Na better cane or koboko dem go take pursue you Oga Saraki from that sit. Just keep hanging on until the koboko ready. Shame on you sha oooo.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by 100Cents: 7:28pm On Apr 08, 2016
We know you are a greedy man..

A serving senator collecting remuneration as governor.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by modath(f): 7:32pm On Apr 08, 2016
EverestdeBliu:
Not when you've finally been indicted.
The US senate is been controlled by the opposition(Republicans).
The Nigerian senate should be manned by the Opposition(PDP)
Benefits:
1. Having the opposition control the legislature,will keep the executive ruling party on their toes. They'll strive to be even more efficient,accountable and swift in the implementation of working policies.
2. It strengthens true Democracy and competition.
#SupportEkweremadu

Really? cheesy cheesy.... Where were you between '99-'15 ?

Ill prepared for electoral defeat is not only mind numbing, it causes amnesia as well!!" grin

As for Crookola Saratiff, he is only putting up a false bravado, he will throw in the towel...

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by olatade(m): 7:38pm On Apr 08, 2016
The National Assembly belongs to your father therefore it's your inheritance the same way you inherited society general bank. If you refuse to pull over God him self will do the needful for Nigerians.barawo!!!

29 Likes

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by egalitarian78: 7:43pm On Apr 08, 2016
f
Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by EverestdeBliu(m): 7:52pm On Apr 08, 2016
modath:

Really? cheesy cheesy.... Where were you between '99-'15 ?

Ill prepared for electoral defeat is not only mind numbing, it causes amnesia as well!!" grin

As for Crookola Saratiff, he is only putting up a false bravado, he will throw in the towel...
I normally was not gon' respond to such comment as this,but lemme school you a lil'.
Did you realise that the PDP's government was more effecient and delivery in terms of service during their latter days when Aminu Tambuwal and other PDP legislators defected to APC,thereby giving the opposition(APC) a sort of control over the legislative arm?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by kunlexy1759(m): 8:07pm On Apr 08, 2016
There's always "one day" for everything / everybody.

2 Likes

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by uzokasi1964(m): 8:13pm On Apr 08, 2016
It is only in nigeria that a polithiefian will be caught red handed but will still not be ashamed of what he have done and resign honourably.
Naija i hail u!!! cry

6 Likes

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by RaphaeloBurgess: 8:20pm On Apr 08, 2016
Amitex:
I predict that Saraki and his senators would fight back soon. Expect an impeachment notice to the president in the coming weeks. Remember, I said this on this forum!
will you get out here!? impeachment ko,iPod weed ni

14 Likes

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Helkayklassic(m): 8:43pm On Apr 08, 2016
Yusuf Olaniyonu again

1 Like

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Xonology: 8:47pm On Apr 08, 2016
Fvck Saraki, fvck PDP, bigger fvck to APC, fvck all the past and present leaders.. May devil punish all of you angry

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by appini: 8:58pm On Apr 08, 2016
Saraki must continue with the good job in the Senate.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by babdap: 9:01pm On Apr 08, 2016
We shall see
Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Sunky200: 9:12pm On Apr 08, 2016
as expected from a shameless, arrogant and corrupt person

note: when saraki eventually fall, he will fall hard and will not be redeemable

9 Likes

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Sunymoore(m): 9:13pm On Apr 08, 2016
Then you'll be disgraced out of office...
Iceland prime minister said the same thing, but after 24 hours he resigned...

9 Likes

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by cktheluckyman: 9:24pm On Apr 08, 2016
Sunymoore:
Then you'll be disgraced out of office...
Iceland prime minister said the same thing, but after 24 hours he resigned...
It is just that it is over 72 hours and Saraki has not resigned so whar exactly are you going to about it?

6 Likes

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by cktheluckyman: 9:25pm On Apr 08, 2016
Sunky200:
as expected from a shameless, arrogant and corrupt person

note: when saraki eventually fall, he will fall hard and will not be redeemable

Continue to wait! saraki is a far more formidable politician than ur local champion Tinubu!! He is going no where

5 Likes

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Sunky200: 9:30pm On Apr 08, 2016
cktheluckyman:

Continue to wait! saraki is a far more formidable politician than ur local champion Tinubu!! He is going no where

lot was said when he illegally claims the senate president seat.

now he is exposed and overwhelmed.

likewise like before, Time shall tell

3 Likes

Re: Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Says He Won't Resign by Sunymoore(m): 9:37pm On Apr 08, 2016
cktheluckyman:

It is just that it is over 72 hours and Saraki has not resigned so whar exactly are you going to about it?
Nothing! In fact, I don't bloody care about the whole issue, they can do whatever they feel like doing., is non of my business!
But, Iceland prime minister said, he's not going to resign, but he did... So I'm watching this from the side

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

#EndSARS: Senate Backs Call For Police SARS Scrapping / Police Releases List Of Authorized Siren Users / Aisha Buhari: $16million For Mosquito Nets Shocks President's Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.